*** GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 ***

92,797 Views | 580 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dreyOO
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

So great. And I felt that way about at least four or five other sequences. Rocket attempting to thwart the ambush in the forest... Groot bringing all the wrong objects to Rocket/Yondu... Yandu wiping out the entire Ravenger ship with his whistle weapon thing... the entire final battle. A movie like this is lucky to have one sequence as good, yet this one just strung them together one after another, with either hilarity or heartwarming scenes scenes in between, just over and over and over again. I keep trying to go back and figure out why some people didn't like it, and I can't find a single notable flaw. This movie knocked it out of the park in every way possible, to the point where I think I'm going to have to see it again in theaters... something I've never done with a Marvel movie before.

I didn't like it for a handful of reasons.

Plot was all over the place.
Jokes were too forced, although many worked.
No connection to the MCU main storyline save for the after credits.
TCTTS
AG
Totally forgot about that one! Agreed. And yes, I absolutely had an ear-to-ear grin after that. Perfect set-up/intro.

Speaking of Mr. Blue Sky, I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I thought the music overall was even better than the first. So many great music cues, and like I mentioned before, what set this one apart was the slower stuff for me - the Cat Stevens, George Harrison, etc. I'm seriously getting chills thinking about the final tribute scene with the fireworks and song and what not. WAY different, but I thought this was the best ending to a superhero movie since TDK.
AliasMan02
AG
You can have your opinions, of course, but the plot wasn't all over the place. It was very tight. That's not subjective.
TCTTS
AG
Can you specify on the plot being "all over the place"? I've seen that complaint a couple times now, and I literally had the exact opposite thought. This movie was SO tight and focused, especially from a thematic standpoint. I honestly don't get how people aren't seeing that. I feel like a saw a completely different movie than a few of you.
TajMaballer
AG
I've seen it twice this weekend, and I was a sobbing mess listening to Cat Stevens during the second viewing. The colors during that scene added so much more to scene. I hope Thor can keep up the color palette for the Cosmic stories Marvel does in the future.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Can you specify on the plot being "all over the place"? I've seen that complaint a couple times now, and I literally had the exact opposite thought. This movie was SO tight and focused, especially from a thematic standpoint. I honestly don't get how people aren't seeing that. I feel like a saw a completely different movie than a few of you.
I feel like if you plastered the words "Your real family is the family you choose" up on the screen, every scene would tie back to it.
TajMaballer
AG
Also here in Chicago, Lake Shore Drive had the entire crowd cheering.
TCTTS
AG
Beat me to it. Exactly. It really isn't subjective. You can break a plot down like a math equation and this one was airtight and connected the dots like few other Marvel movies I've seen. So many set-ups and pay-offs, from big-picture-plot down to the smallest dialogue call backs. I seriously think this movie should be taught and studied for how well Gunn weaved character/theme/plot together into such a focused, perfectly structured, and forwardly propelled movie. There was nothing that didn't count or lend itself to the overall momentum of the story.
TCTTS
AG
So true. Every single story thread revolved around that notion, and covered so many different spectrums of that basic idea, and did so in really original and exciting ways.
LeonardSkinner
aggie kid said:

Baby Groot at the end of the first one. Toddler Groot in the second one.

Teenage Groot in Infinity Wars?

He can defeat Thanos with apathy and uncontrollable hormones.

I'm just saying, this was me way back in December.
israeliag
AG
I watched this film earlier today and haven't stopped thinking about it, wishing I was still watching it. It was so good.

I won't rehash much if what was said but what shocked me was how good the last act was. If there was one weak point it was seeing this final showdown coming a mile away, but holy hell did they pull it off. Add to that that I've always heard (but never read the source materials) about villains that were actual planets and figured they'd never be able pull that off on film, yet somehow James Gunn managed to pull it off AND make it feel both personal and epic in scale.

One thing that didn't work for me was how long the movie spent on yondu's funeral. Yes I get that he was Peters adoptive father but it felt the mourning of his death felt imbalanced to how we were made to feel for him up to then (over two films). It kinda felt a little "Martha"ish how Peter changed his thought about Yondu after he told him not just to use his thought but his heart to control his power.

Back to the good: I have to say my favorite joke/gag was the tape sequence. I lost it as you heard Quill going from one person to the next asking if they had tape and then Rocket calling him out for not asking Nebula directly.
Sex Panther
AG
The only thing I can think of why someone would think the plot was all over the place is that they're really saying it was too weird.
israeliag
AG
I'm coming around to agreeing that this is the better film. We've talked about the surprise of the first one swaying people's opinions to it, but another factor to consider (and one that influenced me to lean towards Vol 1 until about a few minutes ago) is that Vol 1 is a plot driven film where Vol 2 is completely a character driven film. I mean Vol 1 even has an explicit mcguffin.

I tend to like plot driven stories better (may be it's the slight autism in me), but you could kind of compare this to Star Wars Ep 4 and 5.
Ulrich
I'll probably go watch this again in theaters. I never do that except for TFA.
TCTTS
AG
That's a really great way to put it. The last thing I wanted in this one was another Infinity Stone type McGuffin everyone was after. It was so refreshing not having to service the larger MCU in that way. It was its own, contained thing, and because of that it felt like more of a complete, satisfying story. I love a good McGuffin, but never at the expense of character, which should always drive plot first and foremost.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I can definitely see that. A dude who is also a planet is super out there, but like you said, Gunn handled it about as good as can be.
schmendeler
AG
third coast.. said:

what the hell are these mcguffins that people keep talking about. i have never seen that word in my life.

The briefcase in pulp fiction is a macguffin. It moves the plot along.
AliasMan02
AG
third coast.. said:

what the hell are these mcguffins that people keep talking about. i have never seen that word in my life.

A mcguffin is a plot-driving item in a movie that is important because the characters say it is important. My favorite example is the briefcase in Ronin, which the audience literally has no idea what is inside. But the characters are all trying to get it, so it doesn't really matter what it is.
TCTTS
AG
It's a movie term that has been around for ages. I don't know the exact origin, but it's the name for whatever object the heroes or villains are in pursuit of. A physical object that the plot revolves around, like the Arc of the Covenant, the Sword in the Stone, a virus, Infinity Stone, etc.
Post removed:
by user
Ulrich
I don't quite get why a Mcguffin is a bad thing as sometimes people seem to imply.

Setting that aside because it's not applicable, the more I think about this movie the more I think it did some really difficult things extremely well. The main thing keeping me from thinking that it's destined to be an all time classic top 100 movie is that it pretty much opens with the phrase "I have famously large turds".
schmendeler
AG
I don't remember which, but a movie theater chain has a bar/pub inside called macguffin's.
TCTTS
AG
So... how do we think the Guardians find themselves on Earth for Infity War? In the meantime, we've got three more movies 'til Infinity War hits theaters in exactly one year. Out of Spider-Man, Thor, and Black Panther, the only one I could see the Guardians showing up in is Thor, and that would almost assuredly be limited to a post credit scene at best. So do they somehow come upon Thor/Banner and are tasked with bringing them to Earth? Or do Thor/Banner hop on that Raindow Bridge thing and the Guarduians are called to help in some other way? Do they team with Nebula, since she's obviously on the hunt for Thanos, who is presumably headed to Earth at this point? Either way, I'm super interested to see how all that plays out and comes together now...
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
Also, Gunn pretty much confirmed this weekend that Guardians 3 is set for 2020, which will be one year after Avengers 4 concludes. He also confirmed that it will wrap up the team's story, and be the end of a trilogy. Will definitely be interesting to see them journey back out into the cosmos after all is said and done with the next two Avengers movies, and have one final adventure in a (presumably) post-Thanos universe. Could be a nice little bow to wrap up this whole phase before Marvel moves onto whatever's next.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

the only one I could see the Guardians showing up in is Thor, and that would almost assuredly be limited to a post credit scene at best. So do they somehow come upon Thor/Banner and are tasked with bringing them to Earth?

I think this is definitely it, although it seems pretty obvious and Marvel may want to pull off a surprise... It just makes sense though.

As others noted, Jeff Goldblum's character was dancing in the credits. I think that was definitely intentional.

One of the reasons Civil War was so huge, was because it was essentially Avengers 2.5... I think Thor: Ragnarok is going to be Avengers 2.75, and will directly set up Infinity War. It's going to be a huge movie.
AliasMan02
AG
I think Goldblum appearing in the credits is your clue. I think the post credits scene will put Quill (at least) in a room with Thor and/or Hulk.

But, how sure are we that Infinity War is primarily on Earth? What if Thor and Hulk return to Earth and say, "hey guys, we've gotta go help..."
AliasMan02
AG
With it's crazy rotating cast, the Guardians could well be making movies on their own for a while.
KidDoc
AG
The best Mcguffin I can think of is the One Ring in LOTR trilogy.

Anyway I left the move feeling it was a 3/5 just a bit over the top. After a few hours I'm feeling more of a 4/5. I'm watching GOTG v1 again right now and thinking I may bump v2 up to 5/5 just due to the excellent foreshadowing and character development over the arc of the two films. The dynamics of the sisters, baby groot vs grown up Groot, Valdo, all great.

I really loved the golden characters in v2 but I am also reading the Red Rising books right now so they reminded me of the aurites in those books.

The 3D was outstanding, one of the best I've seen in a while.

I felt the emotional/love wins over all was a bit overplayed and tired and forced. Also the body counts were insane on this one especially with Yondu and Rocket. That was a lot of dead peeps.

I do plan to see it again next week with my wife instead of my 18 year old son. She isn't a fan of Marvel in general but likes the comedy so she liked GOTG 1 and ant-man.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
I enjoyed the movie but thought the gut busting laughing from drax was over used.
Sex Panther
AG
third coast.. said:

i wish that the GOTG werent brought in to the rest of the universe. their own thing is awesome as it is.

I agree I enjoy the hell out of their own thing, but Marvel is amazing with the world building and bringing it together. When we finally see Star-Lord and Rocket hanging out with Tony Stark and Captain America and fighting alongside the entire roster, it's going to be one of the most epic moments in cinema history... Because Marvel meticulously built this and put in the work... Unlike some other comic book companies.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it's gotta be. And what a cool scene that could be, seeing these storylines finally come together like that. It's like the most perfect post-credit scene imagineable.
Post removed:
by user
KidDoc
AG
third coast.. said:

everyone keeps talking about the body count that rocket and yondu put up,but egos body count on planets he was taking over has to be in the millions
Yeah but Ego is a bad buy. Rocket & Yondu are sorta good guys.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.