Stranger Things - new Netflix series

100,710 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
that review states the movie was set in 1983, yet the song "hazy Shade of Winter" (Bangles version) was in the show and was released in 1987.

same with
Nocturnal Me - echo and the bunnymen (1984)
Sunglasses at Night Cory Hart - 1984

Story was definitely set in 1983, and that was my one slight issue as I was watching. Some of the music was released after then. But I let it go, as it was much more about the tone of the movie, and in that sense the music was perfect.
but it is such a simple thing to verify. I mean, a 5 second Wikipedia search per song.....
spanky
AG
Sunglasses at Night was on the album First Offense which was released in April of 1983...per wikipedia
Vernada
AG
quote:
it's like all the eighties movies you love rolled into one perfect 8-hour 80's movie.

EXACTLY
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Sunglasses at Night was on the album First Offense which was released in April of 1983...per wikipedia
It was released in the US in 1984. And there was nothing like the streaming/web presence and whatnot in the US in the early 80s to be aware of Canadian music. Especially in small town Indiana.
spanky
AG
bootleg reel to reel
Btron
AG
quote:
Quick show off hands. Who here has made a mixed tape?

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Caught the first ep. So far, so fire.
MrPlow2010
AG
I loved the series. I also found it interesting about x men #134 ( the comic Will talked about right before vanishing)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.reddit.com/r/StrangerThings/comments/4t85za/spoiler_the_significant_foreshadowing_of_xmen_134/&ved=0ahUKEwj0obOnhv7NAhXHZCYKHU4FB0IQFggfMAE&usg=AFQjCNFYCB4u6bPzrFvZ_GnNQIvMChKeyA&sig2=XiY2vl4V-xgoX66knOeiFA
SeattleAgJr
yeah, I had caught that reference, which continues to the part where she sacrifices herself for the team.
Swarely
Quick shoutout to the greatest teacher ever! A man who will yet an 11 yr old boy cock block him at 10 on a Saturday night; just to learn about how to make q sensory deprivation tank!
Sex Panther
AG
Damn I loved that show
spanky
AG
Am I the only one that thinks this show doesn't feel like an 80's setting? The story and delivery, yes. The setting, not really other than some 80's music.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
Am I the only one that thinks this show doesn't feel like an 80's setting? The story and delivery, yes. The setting, not really other than some 80's music.

1) how old are you?
2) what exactly felt "non-eighties" about the setting? Just curious because I don't really get what you're saying.
TexasAggie008
AG
The Americans takes place in the early 80s ... i think both do a pretty good job on the era
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
Same. Episode 3 is one of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen.

That's what we're on now. I will savor it.
spanky
AG
quote:
quote:

1) how old are you?
2) what exactly felt "non-eighties" about the setting? Just curious because I don't really get what you're saying.
I'm definitely old enough to know the 80's. I was a kid and teenager during the 80's. Maybe it was the dialog. Just didn't feel like I was watching something that happened in the 80's.
aTmLoKi
AG
Help me out here, as I might've missed this explanation. We know that Eleven tore open the first rift/gate. Aside from the explanation that the "monster" comes any time it sense blood, was there ever an explanation as to how the monster was able to open rifts whenever it wanted?
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

1) how old are you?
I'm definitely old enough to know the 80's. I was a kid and teenager during the 80's. Maybe it was the dialog. Just didn't feel like I was watching something that happened in the 80's.

Hmmm, gotcha.
Swarely
Anyone else see a similarity?

SeattleAgJr
quote:
Help me out here, as I might've missed this explanation. We know that Eleven tore open the first rift/gate. Aside from the explanation that the "monster" comes any time it sense blood, was there ever an explanation as to how the monster was able to open rifts whenever it wanted?
I just assumed when the first gate was opened it opened the one in the woods and weakened the "wall" as Will's house.

The creature was not creating new rifts, just using the existing ones.
Cynical_Texan
AG
ET, Goonies, Close Encounters, Twilight Zone, Poltergeist and Steven Speilberg had a baby and called it....

Stranger Things
Sbisa04
AG
Can you guys tell me how scary this is? Is it more creepy or eerie or just downright scary/horror type stuff? If it's the latter I know I will not be able to get my wife to watch.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Can you guys tell me how scary this is? Is it more creepy or eerie or just downright scary/horror type stuff? If it's the latter I know I will not be able to get my wife to watch.
More creepy than scary. Only a few of those types of moments, and they are all earlier in the show than later.
Dro07
AG
I am into episode 6 right now and i have had couple of those "NOPE" type instance when people do the dumb stuff like go places they shouldn't but Its not scary as in jump at you and scare the tar out of you. More like suspenseful creepy.
Swarely
I think I only had one "nope" moment in the entire show.
Dro07
AG
did one involve the girl crawling through the tree?
Swarely
Yes. What a dumbass.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Starting episode 4 right now and a Joy Division song is playing. Trying not to cry.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Two episodes in and I'm hooked. Absolutely loving the 80's influences. Cool music. Winona is killing it.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
80s synth revival playlist

If you like the music of the show, here is playlist of newer bands with retro synth style.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Talk about a buzzkill. Could not disagree more.
SeattleAgJr
Quint from AintItCoolNews did this review of the series, and I am pretty much 100% on board with what he says here.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75728
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:
this is where ypou and i are in full agreement. i thought TCTTS review smacked of elitism and pompousness. I thought it was awesome and so did my wife. we are both mid 80s born with older siblings who shoved their generation down our throats. we did not have any issues with the references or anything of that nature. as a matter of fact, this is the first series i have been able to get my ole lady to sink her teeth in to. she was upset when she realized it was only 8 episodes.

I actually think the 8 episode length was perfect. Not too much extraneous crap to pad it out, and it took its simple story, and told it well.
TCTTS
AG

quote:

quote:
i thought TCTTS review smacked of elitism and pompousness.

Ha. Ah, yes. The ol' "elitism and pompousness" label when someone doesn't like something you do. Never mind the fact that A) I posted a link to a positive article/review with a thumbs up the very next day, and B) literally said, in the same initial post...

quote:
I'm definitely enjoying the show... it's still a lot of fun... Looking forward to finishing.

That said... I finished the series tonight and ended up LOVING it. Again, as stated, my initial reaction was after THREE episodes. At that point, it was fairly unoriginal, and Winona Ryder was pretty annoying. For me, Ryder never got any better, but the "unoriginality" ended up coming together in a really brilliant way. How they managed to tie in EVERY feeling / vibe / trope / device from the era to the point where it became increasingly obvious that it was with loving intention (again, something I even alluded to in my initial post). By the end, I was astonished at how well all that stuff weaved together with the surprisingly air-tight plot. And when I say they covered everything, I mean everything... down to the Gremlins/Christmas vibe of the "One Month Later" segment at the end. It really was super cool.

It's just that in general, I have this thing about how so many filmmakers nowadays are tragically steeped in nostalgia, trying to copy Spielberg rather than actually try and be the next Spielberg by doing something fresh. Abrams and a lot of his cohorts worship at that alter, in the worst way, and the bad taste of Super 8 still lingers for me. And three episodes in, that was my gut reaction... not ANOTHER Amblin rip off, with the filmmakers trying once again to ape that particular era instead of trying to make THIS one memorable. But Stranger Things ultimately ended up going beyond that into something truly complex and unique, and I've already gushed to multiple people over text since finishing just a couple hours ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.