Stranger Things - new Netflix series

100,685 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
IJones23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love it!
bigboykin
AG
We finished it last night and loved it. While some of the nostalgia seemed just for nostalgia's sake, I still bought it and the 80's setting. I couldn't care less whether a song was released in March of '83 and this is set in the Fall... the music worked beautifully for me and as an 80's kid I found the whole vibe authentic. I thought all the child actors were excellent (11 was obviously the standout), and Hopper had what could be a breakout performance. Ryder was sort of meh for me, I didn't hate her and she was very good at times but was also kind of annoying/distracting at times. Modine did quietly menacing better than I would've predicted.

I haven't mowed through 8 hrs of TV that fast in quite a while, really interested to see where they go with this show.
IJones23
I thought the three boys (especially Dustin) did a great job.
Btron
AG
quote:
I thought the three boys (especially Dustin) did a great job.

It's pronounced Dussin
Btron
AG
quote:
Two episodes in and I'm hooked. Absolutely loving the 80's influences. Cool music. Winona is killing it.

Killing it as in she's trying to ruin a great series? Then yes she is killing it!
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:
Two episodes in and I'm hooked. Absolutely loving the 80's influences. Cool music. Winona is killing it.

Killing it as in she's trying ruin a feat series? Then yes she is killing it!
English, please.
Btron
AG
Haha. Sorry autocorrect without a proof read.
trueaggie2782
AG
quote:
Anyone else see a similarity?

More like Elizabeth Perkins
aggieforester05
AG
I almost replied the same exact thing.
chick79
AG
Finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Cross between Stand by Me, It and ET.

Is this the end or is there a Season 2 planned? If there is I assume it will be a different storyline and characters.
Silvertaps
AG
quote:
Finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Cross between Stand by Me, It and ET.

Is this the end or is there a Season 2 planned? If there is I assume it will be a different storyline and characters.

Seems to me the writers left the door open in that last episode for there to be a 2nd season if Netflix approves.
FriendlyAg
quote:
that review states the movie was set in 1983, yet the song "hazy Shade of Winter" (Bangles version) was in the show and was released in 1987.

same with
Nocturnal Me - echo and the bunnymen (1984)
Sunglasses at Night Cory Hart - 1984

Don't you know that the next season is the time warp season? This was all foreshadowing.
LeonardSkinner
Maybe I saw it wrong, but I feel like there was a scene at the high school where "1984" was on a bulletin board in the background.

Enjoyed it. I'm surprised I only saw one reference in this thread to a Stephen King story, because if I had to sum it up in three words, it'd be "King meets Spielberg." Band of kids, kid with special powers, supernatural creature, etc. Tropes, to be sure, but ones that he's gone to often. The only thing missing is that it wasn't set near Derry, Maine.

So I just finished it. It's 2:30 in the morning. While I wasn't overly creeped out by the series, I find myself thinking about turning every light in the house. Just to make sure they're all working.
Clem
I hope Season 2 is an tribute to Gremlins with Steve and Nancy taking center-stage.

Also, as Swarely pointed out, that cast was filled with actors that felt like they were out of an 80's movie with a cult-following.

Nancy from Stranger Things to me seemed like...

Kate Beringer from Gremelins

Of course, Mr. Vision Quest himself as the bad man

Dustin from Stranger Things is Chunk from Goonies, complete with food preferences.

Fantastic tribute to an 80's childhood!
spanky
AG
Nancy actually looked like Coraline to me and the long haired kid's dad looked and talked like Coraline's dad.
Teddy Perkins
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
that review states the movie was set in 1983, yet the song "hazy Shade of Winter" (Bangles version) was in the show and was released in 1987.

same with

Story was definitely set in 1983, and that was my one slight issue as I was watching. Some of the music was released after then. But I let it go, as it was much more about the tone of the movie, and in that sense the music was perfect.
but it is such a simple thing to verify. I mean, a 5 second Wikipedia search per song.....
Were these songs that were released after 1983 just background music or actually something the characters were hearing or listening to? If it's the former I don't understand the complaint. Where is it written that if you're doing an 80's inspired show that you are limited to music that was actually already released? If it's the latter, I still don't care since it helped with the shows incredible tone.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well the Peter Gabriel cover Heroes came out in 2010 I think, and I'm pretty certain that was just background music.
spanky
AG
The Corey Hart song was playing on the car radio
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

same with

Story was definitely set in 1983, and that was my one slight issue as I was watching. Some of the music was released after then. But I let it go, as it was much more about the tone of the movie, and in that sense the music was perfect.
but it is such a simple thing to verify. I mean, a 5 second Wikipedia search per song.....
Were these songs that were released after 1983 just background music or actually something the characters were hearing or listening to? If it's the former I don't understand the complaint. Where is it written that if you're doing an 80's inspired show that you are limited to music that was actually already released? If it's the latter, I still don't care since it helped with the shows incredible tone.

This.

A few of the songs were actually playing in the scenes (like The Clash) as set pieces. But most were background music used to set and/or enhance the scenes, and as such they worked perfectly and there's no need to be so picky about them coming out after 1983.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
quote:
Anyone else see a similarity?

More like Elizabeth Perkins

Elizabeth Perkins had sex with a 12 year old and didn't know it. Go Josh Baskin!!!!!!
chipotle
That was pretty entertaining. Has the "non team player and ill tempered black person" card been played too much? I swear on every show and movie you just know that one token guy is gonna lose his s***.
captkirk
AG
quote:
Quint from AintItCoolNews did this review of the series, and I am pretty much 100% on board with what he says here.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75728
Agreed. Good review. Glad he gave the Sheriff some props.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
Quint from AintItCoolNews did this review of the series, and I am pretty much 100% on board with what he says here.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75728
Agreed. Good review. Glad he gave the Sheriff some props.
David Harbour was pretty damn good. In fact, he may have had the best performance. A close second may have been the trio of kids, which for kids were unusually good IMO.
Jim01
AG
First and foremost can we give the MVP to Winona Ryder's helmet hair? That thing NEVER moved. Superb job by hair and makeup. Close runner up would be Steve's mountain of locks. Another strong use of moose and gel.

Overall I really enjoyed it. It faded a tad towards the end for me but ended strong overall. I felt like the entire "sheriff flashes back to his daughter" aspect of the final episode wasn't really set up well story wise. It needed more ground work laid for it to resonate with me.

So, the portal is still currently open right? 11 killed the monster but she didn't close the portal, because how else could Winona and the Sheriff have gotten out?

I 100% expected the Sheriff to come in and join them at the dinner table in the last scene. Wrong me.

Although I think nobody but TCTTS and I saw it, the place 11 went to in the deprivation tank reminded me A LOT of Under The Skin.

I kind of wanted it to end as one season. It will be interesting to see where they take it in season 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just finished and I absolutely loved it. Really hope there's a season two.

***spoilers***

The Chief left an eggo in that box at the end, right? El still alive in the upside down?

*** end spoilers***
tmaggie50
AG
Does this show get better after the first episode? The first episode was really lame.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Does this show get better after the first episode? The first episode was really lame.
you may as well quit then. If you do not like the first episode, this series is not for you.
Dro07
AG
Ya just stop
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:

pretending he didn't read any of the previous 5 pages to let you know he's a boss and your opinions are stupid.
aggieforester05
AG
You should probably stick to two and half men and the big bang theory.
AggieChemist
AG
Finished it last night. Most FUN thing I've watched in a while. For the record, I'm 40, so in '83, I'm just a tick younger than these kids, so it felt VERY nostalgic to me.

I agree with whoever said it was IT/Stand by Me/Goonies/Poltergeist. That's how it felt to me. The other thing is that I thought this could have been the greatest Steven King adaptation ever, if he'd written it. The whole concept of the "upside down" is vintage King, and even the idea of the kid hiding in Castle Byers in the upside down. Like the dude locked in the office in his own mind in Dreamcatcher. Vintage King.

Loved it. Love the graphics, loved the music. I felt like I was ten years old again for 8 hours.
deadhead aggie
AG
Thank you.

This was driving me crazy. I kept thinking 11 looked like a young Stevie Nicks, but it just didn't seem right. As soon as I saw your post with the Elizabeth Perkins pic, it clicked. Good call.
The Milkman
AG
Am I the only one who immediately thought this was the true lookalike?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thought of him every time.
VanZandt92
Enjoyed it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.