Stranger Things - new Netflix series

100,688 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
Ridge14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finished through ep. 4, will crank out the rest tomorrow

So far really enjoying it
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Millenial here; just finished it. Absolutely awesome.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Wife and I just finished it and loved it.
aTmLoKi
AG
We finished it tonight and really enjoyed it.

Can we setup a date here where we begin to talk spoilers without having to setup another thread?
TCTTS
AG
My vote would be tomorrow. I feel like after the first weekend spoilers should be fair game. Those who are curious about impressions have them now, and those watching but not finished should be so soon. I'll probably be done in the next couple of days,but can hold off reading the thread until I'm done.
Daveintx
Loved it but if there's one thing I would have changed....

Drop the high school drama going on in the side story.... Yes Nancy is needed in the overall story, but everything else there just didn't really work for me
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Just started this show!!! I love it! Could use less of the forced cursing and reminder to not curse by the kids and parents. But other than that I'm loving this.
aTmLoKi
AG
Because it's about time we start talking about this show with more than just impressions....

*************SPOILER ZONE MOVING FORWARD*************

*************YOU'VE BEEN WARNED*************

zgood10
AG
SPOILERS

I was really worried at the start that the show would end up like Super 8, with the monster being the good guy.
Glad I was wrong.

The whole Upside Down realm was pretty well done, even if there was a strong Silent Hill vibe to it. Thought it would be Poltergeist-y with lost souls wandering about and stuff. (Most of the rest of the show was Poltergeist-y enough).

The kids not being alarmed by Eleven killing people at will in the last episode was interesting, I guess since they saw her protecting herself. But still... "Hey you killed all these people. Let's go to the dance together."

Hopper leaving Eggos etc in that box at the end... Meaning Eleven was alive somewhere or just as a memorial?

Will at the end of the show... was it actually Will or a new monster able to travel between dimensions easily?

Some things I was thinking about while watching

END SPOILERS
AgHawkeye
AG
quote:
SPOILERS

I was really worried at the start that the show would end up like Super 8, with the monster being the good guy.
Glad I was wrong.

The whole Upside Down realm was pretty well done, even if there was a strong Silent Hill vibe to it. Thought it would be Poltergeist-y with lost souls wandering about and stuff. (Most of the rest of the show was Poltergeist-y enough).

The kids not being alarmed by Eleven killing people at will in the last episode was interesting, I guess since they saw her protecting herself. But still... "Hey you killed all these people. Let's go to the dance together."

Hopper leaving Eggos etc in that box at the end... Meaning Eleven was alive somewhere or just as a memorial?

Will at the end of the show... was it actually Will or a new monster able to travel between dimensions easily?

Some things I was thinking about while watching

END SPOILERS

More spoilers

Was also curious about 11. They left that open without any real clues but could certainly see her coming back for a second season.

Also, after fighting the creature, didn't Jonathan say 'that wasn't the monster' or did I hear him wrong. They never really addressed that again and once they killed that creature all was good.

I thought the Will thing at the end was a bit weird. He wasn't at all bothered by the fact that he just coughed up a creature into the sink or did he not notice. Also took the little flash into the upside down real well.

Not sure where they are taking this for a season two. If it's just the thing Will coughed up causing problems seems a lot like this year. Sure they will have something.

It was a lot of fun to watch and kept you on edge a bit.
SeattleAgJr
I think it is Will. He had the memories of will.

I think the slug thing he coughed up was laid by the tentacle thing in his mouth earlier.
Btron
AG
Two down.
Winona Ryder is the worst. The whole new phone but was brutal. Pleading with the store owners, installing it, scooting the chair to the wall. All brutal.

Love everything else, from the wide lens shots, to the music, clothes, and that intro is awesome!
Post removed:
by user
SeattleAgJr
also the music...

ugh.

It was kind of cool for the first episode of so, but the annoying, grating synthesizers and electronic music became too much after a while.

I hated that crap even in the 80s.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I think eleven killed the monster and took it back to the other dimension. At that point the sheriff and winona are still there and see her in the other dimension, or at least the sheriff does. I think he is giving her food and such as she is keeping them safe from other things coming to the earth dimension
but she failed given that last Will scene.

Post removed:
by user
SeattleAgJr
So we are going with "Goonies meets Stand By Me, with a touch of Carrie meets Alien"?
jabberwalkie09
AG
**Spoilers**

**Nerd glasses on.**

When this started out it reminded me a little bit of the anime Elfen Lied with Eleven being Lucy (telekinesis and escaping from a lab), but as the show progressed it was like as if The X-Files and Super 8 had a love child and it got all of Super 8's good looks with a little refinement and The X-Files world building and guts for story.

The ending for me was a little rushed, and I wonder if Hopper's story will be expanded a bit in the next season if they continue this story and don't go the anthology route. Would be interesting to find out where and who he talked to when the government guys rolled up at the hospital.

Will coughing up that slug was interesting, but I wasn't sure if the slug was alive.

Kind of got the impression that Eleven was probably gone, and the Sheriff was doing that as a bit of a memorial. Wouldn't be surprised if they continue the story that she was alive and becomes capable of going between dimensions, but her powers continue to grow and in later seasons she becomes the antagonist eventually.

Eleven's character progression was decent I thought, and I found that the kids reaction to her was more or less what I would expect from kids in that age range. "Weirdo" being used made sense to me personally.

I didn't care about the drama between Nancy, Jonathan, and Steve but I do see why it was in there. They had to give Steve a redemption arc for being such a ******* for the majority of the season. Still didn't make me care much more about the character though. I actually liked the chemistry and obvious developed trust between Jonathan and Nancy, and the partnership they developed was more interesting rather than Steve and his typical pervy teenage story.

The upside down reminded me of a mix of Silent Hill and Pan's Labyrinth in style.

One thing that I thought was interesting is that at the end of the season, everything pretty much went back to the status quo.

**End Spoilers**
SeattleAgJr
One thing that I thought was interesting is that at the end of the season, everything pretty much went back to the status quo.

I did not get that.

Mike misses 11, Hopper is... we do not know. Will is having issues. Na

Life goes on, even after horrible vents like 9-11 and whatnot.
Btron
AG
quote:
So we are going with "Goonies meets Stand By Me, with a touch of Carrie meets Alien"?

Not nerdy enough. Think more Flight of the Navigator meets The Explorers.
captkirk
AG
Show was pretty good. 80s nostalgia was great. Winona was horrible.
CorpsAg11
AG
***Start spoilers***

I pretty much think of the show as a mix between E.T., Poltergeist, and Alien. All movies that came out before I was born but I love them anyways. I guess you have to have an appreciation for 80s sci/fi to understand why this show is amazing.

I think Eleven is definitely alive, but Hopper has to keep her hidden because... well, we all saw E.T. The Government will run tests on her (again).

I totally saw the ending with Will coming. I've seen enough alien movies to know that, if an alien is attached to your mouth, you're gonna have lil alien babies burst out of you at some point.

I really didn't expect Nancy to get back with Steve, that was kind of a downer. Even if he redeemed himself, he's still kind of a *****, and Jonathan struck me as a (albeit slightly creepy) nice guy.

***End Spoilers
Dro07
AG
You guys should start a different thread for spoilers

haven't finished but Does this show have a conclusion at the end or does it continue to next season?
Vernada
AG
Quick show off hands. Who here has made a mixed tape?
Vernada
AG
quote:
Quick show off hands. Who here has made a mixed tape?
SeattleAgJr
quote:

haven't finished but Does this show have a conclusion at the end or does it continue to next season?
there is a definite conclusion to the events of the story.

of course it opens new threads for subsequent seasons.
SeattleAgJr
quote:

no?

Spoiler warnings are in the thread. Come back in 8 hours.
Dro07
AG
Ok so its different things every season and doesn't continue on
Dro07
AG
it was a joke
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Ok so its different things every season and doesn't continue on
We do not know yet.

They story has a definite conclusion and wraps up the events that occur. But it leaves threads that will very likely continue into series two.
TCTTS
AG
The Ringer / "'Stranger Things' Phones Home"
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
The Ringer / "'Stranger Things' Phones Home"

That's a perfect article. When I described this show to friend's I basically told them it's like all the eighties movies you love rolled into one perfect 8-hour 80's movie.
SeattleAgJr
that review states the movie was set in 1983, yet the song "hazy Shade of Winter" (Bangles version) was in the show and was released in 1987.

same with
Nocturnal Me - echo and the bunnymen (1984)
Sunglasses at Night Cory Hart - 1984
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

I did not get that.

Mike misses 11, Hopper is... we do not know. Will is having issues. Na

Life goes on, even after horrible vents like 9-11 and whatnot.
Hopper goes back to work. Will has issues but home life is back to normal with Jonathan and their mom. Eleven is gone, but Mike continues on. Nancy and Steve pick up rather where they left off. And Jonathan apparently goes back to being the brother and nominal outsider that he was before.

Barb was never talked about again and her family wasn't seen again. I guess they bought the story. So really, nothing really changed in their lives. It's that dark secret that isn't talked about again.

If they continue this story and don't do an anthology type of story, then I don't think their lives will be effected by all of this until the next season and the ramifications for Will play out.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
that review states the movie was set in 1983, yet the song "hazy Shade of Winter" (Bangles version) was in the show and was released in 1987.

same with
Nocturnal Me - echo and the bunnymen (1984)
Sunglasses at Night Cory Hart - 1984

Story was definitely set in 1983, and that was my one slight issue as I was watching. Some of the music was released after then. But I let it go, as it was much more about the tone of the movie, and in that sense the music was perfect.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.