The best unproduced script I've ever is finally getting made (PASSENGERS)

52,798 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wessimo
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just saw it last night and I KNOW that last part about the book isn't in there. I would like to see it again to see about the other stuff, the graves and all, but I don't think anything beyond "GRAND CONCOURSE - GARDEN" was shown.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I mentioned the possibility of children the other day but with spoiler tags. But I guess we are past that.

I mean really it's the first thing that occurred to me not on the last shot but when they they decided not to have her go back into hibernation. Actually even earlier. Why wouldnt they want to have a family. That's one way to leave a legacy much Moreso than making a garden or a book imho.

Not only could they have had kids but they could have used the hibernation to sleeep those kids for 10 years each a couple of times and ensure not only that they live to see the planet but are not too old whe. They get there. I assume in this future 60ish is a viable age of some good life left.

Now the isssue of any grandkids is probably too weird. This isn't Noah and the ark. They aren't responsible for repopulation.

Imho it's an unexplored ethical dilemma and moral question they should have explored a little. Even if they can't live that long ensuring your offspring do is something.
GreasenUSA
AG
I'd need to take a look again, but I don't remember anything from the final scene that made me think they had kids. Now I actually might have a reason to watch again.
Fairview
AG
Without mentioning this thread to my wife I asked her the kid question and she was adamant the last scene didn't allude to that. That said, I want to watch it again just to look around during that scene.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
To be clear I'm not saying the the last scene alluded to kids. I'm saying the movie//story missed an obvious opportunity by not having them have kids. imho.

Although feminists were pissed enough already. If they then became a happy family they would probably really lose their minds.
Fairview
AG
I didn't read back through the whole thread so this may have been mentioned but I wonder how feminists would've responded if she woke up first and got him up.

Would it have been that she was independent and didn't need to wake up a man or would it have been the same dilemma he went through.

Like I said earlier I liked the movie and so did my wife.
Ag Since 83
AG
You don't have to be a feminist to not like the story, FYI.
MooreTrucker
AG
Didn't that final script or something mention graves? Who would have dug the second grave? One of the robots?
Post removed:
by user
chipotle
I give this movie 2 out of 5 "ights"
Muy
AG
I enjoyed the movie. A good 2 hours spent. Plus, the Luxury Lounges at Cinemark in Plano were awesome.
Bunk Moreland
decided to see this in the theater. It's a perfectly acceptable film that holds your attention. The bad reviews are nowhere near as bad as they make it sound.

They rushed through some major moments, and there were probably 3 or 4 really cheesy scenes that lacked the foundation/context to have them pay off correctly.

I didn't have an issue at all with JLaw's performance. All of the female critic angle that was bashing the "man controls the fate of woman" **** couldn't have been more wrong. I don't know what movie they were watching.

Nothing overly amazing or that wows you, and I think a deeper movie that really investigates the decision that Pratt is faced with would have been a better underlying point than the issues with the ship. I think that device was used to move the movie along and give it "reason," but with that decision it sacrifices the ability to dive deeper into the stronger elements at play.

A solid B movie.
Wicked Good Ag
I just kept thinking...wow Tom Hanks get to f%^^ a better looking Wilson
redd38
AG
I just saw it, thought it was decent. I thought it would have been better if Jim died though and it ended with Aurora making the decision to wake someone else.
The Debt
This thread title is why tctts' opinion is suspect.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
i give him a pass....great scripts don't always turn into great movies.

I saw potential in that movie, they just failed to explore some things that would have improved the end result greatly. they took the easy and stereotypical hollywood way out sometimes.

Bruce Almighty
AG
The Debt said:

This thread title is why tctts' opinion is suspect.

Kinda like your political opinions.
Sea Gull
AG
I really enjoyed it.
chipotle
If we've learned anything here it's to always wake up the hot chick.
TCTTS
AG
Scripts can be WAY different than finished products. Doesn't take a genius to understand that. I still maintain that it was a great read.
Post removed:
by user
MooreTrucker
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is a script the explicit dialogue of each character in a movie? If so, shouldn't a great script at least produce a great plot of a movie?
The script at the beginning and the script when it's actually filmed can (and usually are, right TCTTS?) be pretty different. And didn't he say the ending was different?
The Debt
TCTTS said:

Scripts can be WAY different than finished products. Doesn't take a genius to understand that. I still maintain that it was a great read.

If films are often so far different than the tctts opinion on the script, why do you continually pump films based on your panties wetting due to a greenlight?

Over the past 3-4 years your "omfg go see this movie" recommendations have been C+s to B-s. Sure there are the occasional hits and I would say a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut BUT you aren't a blind squirrel. You have built yourself up as an insider who is in the know, but in reality you are just a mix between a Belieber and a wrestlers hype-man.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The Debt said:

TCTTS said:

If films are often so far different than the tctts opinion on the script, why do you continually pump films based on your panties wetting due to a greenlight?

Over the past 3-4 years your "omfg go see this movie" recommendations have been C+s to B-s. Sure there are the occasional hits and I would say a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut BUT you aren't a blind squirrel. You have built yourself up as an insider who is in the know, but in reality you are just a mix between a Belieber and a wrestlers hype-man.

Give more than this one example of where he's done this. I bet you can't.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The Debt said:

TCTTS said:

who got your panties in a wad?.....relax.

I don't put my movie going stock in the opinions of a message board - certainly not a single poster no matter who they are.

You sound like you feel like you've been burned on movie recommendations - like my friend who still holds it against me 20+ years later because he asked me about "The Crying Game"....I told him it had a great plot twist - lol. To this day he won't go see anything I recommend not matter how good it is. And I didn't even say Crying Game was good, I just said it had a great twist - lol.

This movie was far from a C+ to B-....it was a pretty good movie. a few issues but it was spectacular in its visuals and effects and it had some thought provoking moments. I was entertained. He also never raved about this movie so much - he actually said how different it was from the original script and pointed out some issues. I took it with a grain of salt - so should you. Even if it is a B-ish movie thats above average. they can't all be masterpieces.
TCTTS
AG
The Debt said:

TCTTS said:

I've read your first sentence at least six times now and still can't understand what it is you're trying to say.

But to address the second part, A) you come across as kind of insane - like I slept with your wife or something, and B) I try my absolute best NOT to "build myself up as an insider." Yes, I talk passionately about movies and the movie-making process, and yes, I answer questions when asked, but NONE of it is with the intention to come across as some kind of Hollywood insider.

That said, my opinions of movies are just that - OPINIONS. Also, one's ability to predict whether a movie will be good or not does not necessarily correspond to one's industry knowledge. If I respond to a trailer in a positive way, I'm responding to the TRAILER, and I try hard to, time and again, reiterate that the movie itself could be crap, whenever there's a question of quality. But I get excited just like anyone else, and I'm not going to apologize for that. At times, I love the build up to a movie just as much as the movie itself (if not more so, in some cases), and if that bothers you, tough.

Finally, just to set the record straight on Passengers, specifically, I'm not alone in calling it one of the best scripts I've ever read. I know two separate creative execs at two very prominent productions companies who, for years, made their interns read that script on day one as the perfect example of the kind of high concept writing they're looking for. That script has been THE staple in terms of "THIS is how you do it" quality when it comes to sci-fi spec writing industry wide, for quite some time. Maybe that makes me a sheep, or maybe that just reinforces your sh*tty opinion of Hollywood, but either way, I wasn't alone. Far from it.

Point is, the mistake you're making is interpreting my excitement for something as my seal of approval for the final project, or even my prediction that it's going to be good. As if it's some game that should be tallied, when that's the last game I'm trying to play. You know just as well as I do that the vast majority of the time it's a crap shoot, and not even Spielberg himself could do any better at "predicting" this stuff than anyone else.
Morpholino
AG
We saw the movie tonight. Thought it was awesome.
Post removed:
by user
Matt_ag98
Just saw this on blu ray and thought it was a great sci-fi flick, the agenda behind sinking this movie was all a bunch of BS, probably for today's day and age should have been Jennifer Lawrence waking up first then the dilemma of waking Chris Pratt and everyone would have been fine with it. Based off what I had read in the media, Chris Pratt had "selected" her out of the 5,000 passenger database like some perv, will stick to texags for my recommendations next time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn man. This is unnecessarily harsh.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Finally got around to watching this movie.

I actually thought it was decent, but definitely not the great movie I was hoping for when I first learned about this script.

Have to say I hated the ending though. Utterly anti-climactic.

Then I came across this video. It's amazing how such a simple change could've made this a much better movie.

bearamedic99
AG
bumpity bump bump
TCTTS
AG
wessimo
AG
Thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.