The best unproduced script I've ever is finally getting made (PASSENGERS)

53,029 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wessimo
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep; humans NEED interaction, we are social creatures.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man, this is disappointing.

I was really excited for this one when I heard the premise, and looked forward to the trailer for months. But the trailers have honestly not done much for me. Looks like a completely different movie than what I was envisioning my head. Looks like your run-of-the-mill sci-fi action/thriller.

And clearly the critics think so, too.

I figured this one would be a huge hit from star power alone, but now I'm legitimately thinking it could bomb. Are Pratt/J-Law enough to save a bad movie?
wangus12
AG
Damn, wasn't expecting that at all.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Are these reviews from Rotten Tomatoes? The same guys who gave Snowpiercer a 95%? I will wait and see what normal people think.
TCTTS
AG
Yep. And I stand by the script. The raw-ish, slightly lower budget version of this - with more of an auteur at the helm - would have been absolutely amazing. Like, say, Spike Jonze (Her) would have probably made one of my all-time favorite movies out this (he was never considered, just to be clear). They had to glitz and gloss it up to justify making it, and I get that, but man, what could have been.
wangus12
AG
Snowpiercer was AWESOME!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I guess we now know what the missing words from this thread title were.

"The best unproduced script I've ever seen bomb is finally getting made (PASSENGERS)"

Shame that the hook we were most intrigued by, a man alone on a ship grappling with that loneliness and whether to wake up a companion, is the point the movie is getting most skewered for. They must have totally blown the execution of it.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Shame that the hook we were most intrigued by, a man alone on a ship grappling with that loneliness and whether to wake up a companion, is the point the movie is getting most skewered for. They must have totally blown the execution of it.

Agree. I am almost now intrigued in a negative way to see how they possibly botched it so bad.
TCTTS
AG
I wonder if the roles were reversed - a woman who woke up a man - if people would have as much of a problem with it. A lot of the complaints I'm seeing are from women complaining about the man-deciding-the-fate-of-woman aspect.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

a lot of the complaints I'm seeing are from women complaining about the man-deciding-the-fate-of-woman aspect.

Feminists are the absolute worst
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, one series of tweets I read was from this woman just going on and on about she's never been so mad at the end of a movie, that they need to quit making men the heroes just because they're men, that Lawrence's character shouldn't have forgave him, etc. I'm see the world "problematic" a lot (which I hate), but they don't realize that the script is ACKNOWLEDGING that it's a "problematic" situation. That's the whole point. He makes an unethical choice. And then has to deal with consequences of it. As if every movie should portray only perfectly ethical situations. So dumb.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
wangus12 said:

Snowpiercer was AWESOME!
No, you are the problem... that movie was easily the worst I've seen in 5 years
TCTTS
AG
Aggie_Journalist
AG
TCTTS said:

I wonder if the roles were reversed - a woman who woke up a man - if people would have as much of a problem with it. A lot of the complaints I'm seeing are from women complaining about the man-deciding-the-fate-of-woman aspect.

That's a good point. It's also a delicate premise to convey. There was a fine line to walk between "Pratt is desperately lonely and makes a decision he regrets" and "Pratt is alone so he develops a creepy obsession with a frozen women and manipulates her to love him," and it sounds like they totally ran afoul of that line. The same mistake could have been made with a female protagonist, though a female lead would have avoided the complaints of a man choosing a woman's fate and totally being forgiven for it.

Do you still have the script, by the way? I'd be very interested to read it, since I believe you that it was probably a great story at that stage of conception.
Quad Dog
AG
So instead of a studio being dumb and putting a sci-fi movie out right after Star Wars, are they dumping a bad movie right after Star Wars?

FYI, I have a long running theory that movie studios make bad movies on purpose as a tax-dodge. Or maybe I like The Producers too much.
PlanoAggie
AG
Latest review on the front page of Yahoo is bashing it as well. Guess I'll be saving my money. I'm kind of over anything Jennifer Lawrence anyway -- maybe the world is to.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, hit me up on my spam account: theohoff20@gmail.com
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it that much harder to make a good movie than to make a bad movie?

Nobody purposely makes a bad movie. You can't write off losses on a movie, can you?
Quad Dog
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Is it that much harder to make a good movie than to make a bad movie?

Nobody purposely makes a bad movie. You can't write off losses on a movie, can you?
Maybe not intentionally make a bad movie. Start out with good intentions, but something goes bad. Rather than spend a bunch fixing it, they dump it at a bad time or blame marketing.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

TCTTS said:

That's a good point. It's also a delicate premise to convey. There was a fine line to walk between "Pratt is desperately lonely and makes a decision he regrets" and "Pratt is alone so he develops a creepy obsession with a frozen women and manipulates her to love him," and it sounds like they totally ran afoul of that line. The same mistake could have been made with a female protagonist, though a female lead would have avoided the complaints of a man choosing a woman's fate and totally being forgiven for it.

Do you still have the script, by the way? I'd be very interested to read it, since I believe you that it was probably a great story at that stage of conception.
No then the feminazis would complain that she even asked for forgiveness... "Such patriarchy that it is expected that when a woman chooses wrongly in a moral dilemma that it is expected she should ask to be forgiven. It's a direct allegory with abortion and the church / conservatives. Can't you see?"

With feminists they will always find the lose/lose for masculinity. A man can never be right.
LHIOB
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Are these reviews from Rotten Tomatoes? The same guys who gave Snowpiercer a 95%? I will wait and see what normal people think.
One of the worst pieces of crap Ive ever seen. Emperor's New Clothes situation if you ask me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought Snowpiercer was good but wildly overrated.
TCTTS
AG
Same. Really liked parts of it and appreciated its uniqueness, but it's something I will never, ever watch again.
wangus12
AG
Agree as well. It wasn't bad. Wasn't great.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I'd watch it again to laugh and drink shots at the stupidity...
Aggie_Journalist
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, hit me up on my spam account: theohoff20@gmail.com

Sent
jabberwalkie09
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I'd watch it again to laugh and drink shots at the stupidity...
I'm pretty sure that's going to involve a trip to the hospital for alcohol poisoning.
TCTTS
AG
Replied.
G Martin 87
AG
Don't care about the RT% and the critics for this one. I had a few quibbles with the script, but I've talked it up too much with the rib to back out now. I'm hoping that the trailer just overemphasized the danger and explosions angle.
VanZandt92
You just got a mention on KTCK The Ticket
VanZandt92
Anybody else hear that on Passengers? Entertainment segment lead in aboiut waking up in space. Lots of joking but good pub
TCTTS
AG
They liked the movie? I guess I don't get what the big deal is about the radio talking about a movie.
VanZandt92
TCTTS said:

They liked the movie? I guess I don't get what the big deal is about the radio talking about a movie.

It's the most popular station in DFW, and moreover the most popular for our demographic. If they mention you it is good. They didn't say anything bad and we're asking themselves about the plot. It's an entertainment segment with bits and comedy. But it is one of my main sources of E news for sure.
Sex Panther
AG
VanZandt92 said:

You just got a mention on KTCK The Ticket

I'm confused. When you say "you", do you mean the movie?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm so confused. At first I thought they mentioned TexAgs or something, but that made no sense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.