The best unproduced script I've ever is finally getting made (PASSENGERS)

52,993 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wessimo
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess it's pretty good.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
Really interested in this movie! Very good trailer.
Jim01
AG
Looks great, but I dare say it verges on showing too much. Especially in the last half of the trailer I could have done without a LOT of those images and clips. In a movie like this I just want the stage set and then get out. I don't need to see Pratt risking his life on a space walk, Lawrence dragging his body across the floor to the med unit, Laurence Fishburne, the V.O. of "there's something I have to tell you". CUT all of that!

B- for the trailer.
Post removed:
by user
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
Looks great, but I dare say it verges on showing too much. Especially in the last half of the trailer I could have done without a LOT of those images and clips. In a movie like this I just want the stage set and then get out. I don't need to see Pratt risking his life on a space walk, Lawrence dragging his body across the floor to the med unit, Laurence Fishburne, the V.O. of "there's something I have to tell you". CUT all of that!

B- for the trailer.

I kind of agree, except that they needed to show some danger and action sequences to broaden appeal to the prepubescent teen male demographic.
HeadGames
AG
Well, we didn't see any mutant goblin people running around eating passengers. This Pandorum sequel should be better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty great trailer, but it felt a bit rushed, especially in the first half. Wish it had taken its time a little more.

In this particular case I feel like they could've done more by showing less. Go more teaser and less trailer. More big, epic space shots. Less dialogue and less exposition. This is a trailer, not the movie.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Pretty great trailer, but it felt a bit rushed, especially in the first half. Wish it had taken its time a little more.

Agree.

Also, I have this thing about JLaw that when I see her in movies, I don't really want her to be in the movie but I'd rather her be with me instead. So that's frustrating.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Can I be honest?

I love the underlying premise of the movie: Two people wake up 90 years too soon and realize that, if they can't figure out how to go back to sleep, they will be long dead before they see another living soul. THAT'S a helluva premise and could have been one of the all-time great dramatic sci-fi movie of all time. Huge box office appeal with Lawrence and Pratt, a chance for career-defining performances, Oscar material.

So, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the second half of this movie: the "we have to save the ship before it explodes and kills everyone" plotline. It kinda made me lose enthusiasm.

What started out as a truly fantastic first half of the trailer then swerved 180 degrees into a race-against-the-clock action movie.

Look, this still may be a great film. One of the year's best maybe. However, I think I would be more interested in seeing the drama in first half expanded into 2 1/2 hours and skip the action.
spanky
AG
Yeah, more like Moon and less like Armageddon. I agree with you.
spanky
AG
quote:
More slow mo of Lawrence running in the white shirt in particular
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I agree with the folks who said this trailer revealed way too much. I'll definitely see the movie, but I'll probably avoid all other trailers between now and release.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Can I be honest?

I love the underlying premise of the movie: Two people wake up 90 years too soon and realize that, if they can't figure out how to go back to sleep, they will be long dead before they see another living soul. THAT'S a helluva premise and could have been one of the all-time great dramatic sci-fi movie of all time. Huge box office appeal with Lawrence and Pratt, a chance for career-defining performances, Oscar material.

So, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the second half of this movie: the "we have to save the ship before it explodes and kills everyone" plotline. It kinda made me lose enthusiasm.

What started out as a truly fantastic first half of the trailer then swerved 180 degrees into a race-against-the-clock action movie.

Look, this still may be a great film. One of the year's best maybe. However, I think I would be more interested in seeing the drama in first half expanded into 2 1/2 hours and skip the action.

Solid points.
chipotle
So let me guess what happens:

1. Pratt (who's passage on the ship is complicated) wakes up. He probably got a cheap ticket since he's a mechanic. When something goes wrong they wake him up.

2. Pratt gets lonely and wakes up the hottest passenger. I would.

3. They bang for a while

4. S*** hits the fan

5. jlaw finds out pratt hosed her (in a different way)

6. more s*** hits the fan

7. Pratt sacrifices his life

8. jlaw pregnant.

9. jlaw's kid wakes up a bang partner

10. rinse repeat for 120 years?
TCTTS
AG
For those complaining that they showed too much, I guess I get where you're coming from, but I'm honestly shocked that Sony managed to skirt around THE hook of the movie...

I mean, I'm almost mad that they didn't base the marketing around it, since it's such a brilliant hook, but simultaneously impressed that they didn't.

That said, I do agree that it could have taken its time a bit more. Or, rather, this should have been the second trailer. The first trailer should have been a teaser trailer - like someone mentioned earlier - but of just Pratt, alone, hanging out/goofing around on the ship. Basically a trailer version of that sequence in Prometheus with Fassbender's character alone on the ship, before everyone else wakes up. Then have a final shot of him approaching Lawrence's character frozen in her pod. But I get why they even avoided doing that.

Overall, kudos to Sony for going this route...
TCTTS
AG
Kind of. You're not far off, though.
Bunk Moreland
completely agree with that in re: to burying the hook. Well done.
double aught
AG
Like most trailers these days, this does seem to show too much. But it's nice to see that original sci-fi has made a comeback these last few years.

I'm still in.
Quad Dog
AG
Why is this being released anywhere near Rogue One? The trailer said Christmas. Seems like a dumb decision to me.
TCTTS
AG
Slightly different audience. Sure, there's tons of overlap, but this could get more of the Titanic/Hunger Games-type audience. That, and I would probably actually see this movie with my entire family over the holiday before seeing Rogue One with them. I guarantee you if my mom and sisters had a choice between Star Wars and this, they'd choose this in a heartbeat.
Rudyjax
AG
Watched it today. It was free online. Very good but a little short.
caleblyn
What will the rating be?

PG-13?
TCTTS
AG
Probably, yeah. I can't imagine it being R.
spanky
AG
hopefully NC-17
Zemira
AG
Chris Pratt is hot!

I didn't read the script so i have no preconceived notions of how good or bad it could be. So looking forward to a good movie.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Why is this being released anywhere near Rogue One? The trailer said Christmas. Seems like a dumb decision to me.
Because Space Nerds will jump on that high and ride it.

I've never been on the Jlaw hype train, but she looks great and seems to show a little more emotion than the rest of her movies combined in just this trailer.
wangus12
AG
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
quote:
Because Space Nerds will jump on that high and ride it.

I've never been on the Jlaw hype train, but she looks great and seems to show a little more emotion than the rest of her movies combined in just this trailer.
Just seems like when people look back on it they'll say "Why didn't Passengers perform better, great script, two hot actors?" "Oh yeah it came out two weeks after Star Wars"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't think those movies will hurt each other. I think Rogue One has its built-in audience that will see it regardless of what else is out in the theater. Then there'll be the casual and/or sci-fi moviegoers that may choose to go Passengers over Rogue One, but I doubt it will make much of an impact.

I'm thinking Rogue One probably tops out around $300M domestic. Passengers is really hard to say.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, try five days after Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. And these bigger holiday movies tend to have legs simply because there's nothing to compete with quality-wise through January. That, and I don't know about you guys, but I usually see multiple movies over the holidays with my family, as I'm sure many other do. For those two reason, these end-of-year movies tend not to fade away as quickly as others do. I don't think it'll do crazy numbers, but it'll definitely find its audience.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh damn, it's THAT close?

That actually seems like a pretty huge disservice to Passengers then. Give it a couple of weeks at least.

Still, two huge names like that, it will not be a flop by any stretch.
wangus12
AG
I will see both because they both look awesome. You want good sci-fi movies. Makes sure they are successful

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Regarding the plot of the movie (which the trailer did reveal too much of) -

After thinking about it for a few days, I actually am a bit disappointed that the second half of the movie appears to be about the ship malfunctioning and turns to a bit of an action movie.

I think the hook itself is so damn good that the whole movie should be about that dilemma. You wake up early and have two options - live your life and die alone, or wake someone up and essentially sentence them to death with you?

And then, when you wake up JLaw (because who wouldn't?), do you tell her what you did? Do you have children and later on wake up partners for them?

I guess I figured it would be more of a "philosophical" type of movie (like say Moon or 2001) than a straight up sci-fi action thriller.
TCTTS
AG
Here's the Christmas schedule, as far as wide release go. Definitely a bit sci-fi heavy, but this is the lightest holiday slate I've seen in a while. Not overcrowded, and there's a little something for everyone. Passengers will be fine...

12.16 (Friday) - Collateral Beauty (Will Smith drama)
12.16 (Friday) - Rogue On: A Star Wars Story
12.16 (Friday) - The Space Between Us (teen sci-fi romance drama)

12.21 (Wednesday) - Assassin's Creed
12.21 (Wednesday) - Passengers

12.25 (Sunday) - Fences (Denzel Washington drama)
12.25 (Sunday) - Gold (Matthew McConaughey drama)
12.25 (Sunday) - Why Him? (James Franco / Bryan Cranston comedy)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.