The best unproduced script I've ever is finally getting made (PASSENGERS)

53,034 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wessimo
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Anyone ever seen Rocket Man? It killed me as a 6th grader.

Anyway, most of the middle third of the movie revolves around the main character being awake during the long journey to Mars and obsessing over his still-sleeping mission mate he has a crush on. Hilarity ensues.

All I can remember is the suit fart and it was glorious.
7nine
G Martin 87
AG
Finished! I really liked it, and it should be a good movie for both CP and JL. The ending scene could be iconic if done right. But...

*** SPOILERS ***

I was disappointed by the way the movie shifted focus away from Jim's desperate decision to wake up Aurora and his attempts to repair their relationship to a more standard "race against time to save the ship which might blow up at any minute and kill us both." That's a plot device we've seen before. I thought the question raised by Jim on page 30 deserved more consideration

"Say you were trapped on a desert island, and you had the power to wish somebody there with you. You wouldn't be alone anymore, but you'd be stranding another person on the island. Do you make the wish?
... How wrong would it have to be to stop you?"

Aurora spends a significant portion of the movie hating Jim for his "wish", and only the shared threat of death (a standard movie cliche) brings them back together. I found this a bit unsatisfying.

*** END SPOILERS ***

Edited to add spoiler tags
Texaggie7nine
If I were Chris' character I'd wake up all the hottest chicks.
7nine
TCTTS
AG
I get where you're coming from, but I honestly don't see what the alternative would be. You have to have that tension/action element or the movie just straight up doesn't get made. I agree that it maybe veers a bit more run-of-the-mill later in the script, but I also think that if done right all that stuff could be pretty enthralling. There were a couple of cool/haunting shots toward the later third that could translate to some really great moments.
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
Was kind of shocked by that as well. Highest opening weekend of all time on the heels of Guardians' massive success would have earned Pratt at least $15M I'd have thought. Then again, all things considered, he's only been a HUGE star for not even a year yet.

DEFINITELY in agreement that JLaw isn't worth $20M, though. I like her, but she's not worth $20M. Not even close. After Hunger Games and her X-Men run end within the next year, I can see her shine starting to fade a bit.
Post removed:
by user
Capstone
AG
Liked her in Winter's Bone.
VanZandt92
Ragoo
AG
quote:
i certainly hope so. i feel like she looks like this guy and has zero range. so bland, and while a 1 on the binary, certainly not a smoke show.

Jlaw on star trek:

I too cannot stand her. Her acting is bland and compels no emotion for me. The chick in the divergent series is much better, imo and significantly hotter.
MW03
AG
Lawrence was excellent in Silver Linings Playbook
Keegan99
AG
Read it today. The cascading failures on the ship as a plot device really bugged me. That's simply not how critical systems are designed and built.

And like others have said, the "we faced death so now we're in love again" thing seemed a little too magical.

On the whole, the premise is genius, but the execution needs to be massaged quite a bit.
G Martin 87
AG
Another thing that bothers me upon reflection:

*** SPOILERS ***

I thought Arthur agreed to let Jim tell Aurora the truth? Or was that another example of a system failure? The script doesn't setup an "I cannot disobey an order from a human" or an "I cannot tell a lie" rule for androids, so Arthur's revelation to Aurora seems careless.

*** END SPOILERS ***
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
Lawrence was excellent in Silver Linings Playbook
Maybe because she's not acting when she plays a crazy B with a bad temper?
Keegan99
AG
Dawned on me this morning...

Why is the best AI on the entire starship reserved exclusively for the bartender?!

Every system on the ship is dumb and a pain to use except for the android that is responsible for serving alcohol?
slappy
AG
I liked Arthur in it. Seemed like a way to lighten it up a hair.
Keegan99
AG
I liked Arthur, too... But you can't have a character so technologically advanced existing in the same world with technology that's... well... not.
G Martin 87
AG
Moreover, Arthur seems to be the only bartender for a ship with five thousand thirsty passengers. Yikes!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Imagine that early scene in Prometheus, where David is just hanging out on the ship alone before everyone wakes up, mixed with a bit of Will Forte in The Last Man on Earth, and that's the basic vibe.
I was thinking more like Harland Williams as "Fred" in Rocket Man:
GiveEmHellBill
AG
This is something that's been bugging me since I first read this thread:

quote:
Upon awakening, Pratt's character is guided by robots from station to station for the re-aclamation process, but the entire time he's wondering why the hell he's the only one awake. Turns out, his pod malfunctioned, woke him up, and triggered the ship's computer to start cooking all the food and opening all the living/shopping/gaming areas/etc. That's when Pratt's character realizes... this happened 80 years too soon. And there's no way to fix the pod. So the first 1/3 of the movie is Pratt's character coming to terms with the fact that he's likely going to die alone on this ship before it ever reaches its destination.
Let me know if this is discussed in the script:

All the stations start up as though all 3000 or so people are awake and they are only a few weeks out from their destination. Food starts being prepared and other services turn on. With only Pratt awake, there is going to be a hell of a lot of food not being eaten and therefore spoiling. Plus, the ship most likely only has enough food supplies for maybe a month since that's it's programming. If Pratt can't stop the 'normal' amount of food being prepared each day, won't all of it be exhausted within a few months? I would think my first concern isn't "I'm going to die alone in a few decades" but instead "will there be any food/water for me in six months?"

Again, this may be addressed, but it's been bugging me.
TCTTS
AG
Maybe it was a mistake to start this discussion so early. You guys are WAY overthinking this thing. You have to understand that the sci-fi stuff is SECONDARY to the human/relationship aspect. It's a premise that comes at a cost in regards to certain ship logistics and what not. It's simply a cool, unique, put-yourself-in-their-shoes scenario. Everything else is bent and manipulated to service such a primal story.
TCTTS
AG
To your food question, specifically, I honestly can't even remember. I just threw that out as an example. I honestly don't know if food preparation is even mentioned in the script.
Keegan99
AG
Except the human part of the story is magically resolved due to a crisis of bad engineering.
Post removed:
by user
Sex Panther
AG
This is not going according to script
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I actually love the scrutiny/consideration. I'm just saying, this isn't that movie. It's not hard core sci-fi. It's a love story... set in space. That, and I know enough other people who love the script that I don't need everyone here to love it too. Just about every creative exec I know makes their interns read this script on day one because of how good it is. And again, I'll totally acknowledge all the engineering/logistical flaws or whatever, but as far as creating amazing tension goes, it doesn't get much better.
Keegan99
AG
Thing is, you could have the tension and great story with smart engineering. But the dumb engineering just sucks the viewer right out of the world.
TCTTS
AG
In general, I absolutely agree. I'll be honest, though, it's been so long since I've read it that I don't even remember the engineering thing you're referring to. In the draft I read, I remember not liking a bit toward the end where the two main characters are exposed to space and nothing happens to them, but that was about it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If people on here saw the Star Wars script before it was made.
Keegan99
AG
The AI on the ship is only marginally better than Siri... Except for the bartender.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Just please have an astronaut, astrophysicist, and other science / real-world application experts on hand to rule out obvious "that can't happen" type of stuff.
Redstone
AG
OP:
If 2008, you were a bit late to this.

And after The Fappening, it may be a bit difficult for audiences to accept Lawrence in a romantic role, though that remains to be seen.
TCTTS
AG
Perfect casting...

http://www.thewrap.com/chris-pratt-jennifer-lawrence-recruit-twilight-actor-for-space-romance-passengers/
Texaggie7nine
quote:
And after The Fappening, it may be a bit difficult for audiences to accept Lawrence in a romantic role, though that remains to be seen.
huh. Because we saw her boobs?
7nine
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Perfect casting...

http://www.thewrap.com/chris-pratt-jennifer-lawrence-recruit-twilight-actor-for-space-romance-passengers/
Dear God,I feel sorry for Michael Sheen when he's referred to as "that Twilight actor."

Makes me hate those movies even more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.