The best unproduced script I've ever is finally getting made (PASSENGERS)

53,035 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wessimo
Btron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have you tried pot? Nothing better than being blazed alone at the movies.

spanky
AG
Paul Reubens
FancyKetchup14
AG
I go see movies alone all the time. One of my coworkers is always talking about how awkward that is and how he could never do it, and I always tell him "I don't go to the movies to chat with people. I go to get away from all of yall and this **** for 2 hours."
TajMaballer
AG
I love going to opening night premieres alone so I don't have to worry about finding seats for more than 1 person. So many single seats in prime locations.

I also like the idea of just going to a movie and not having to coordinate with anyone about what movie to see, what time works best, blah blah blah.

Also, going to see Passengers tonight. Expecting nothing, so hopefully I am not disappointed.
Post removed:
by user
Bruce Almighty
AG
It seems to me if someone feels awkward seeing a movie alone, then they must judge other people seeing a movie alone.
Jim01
AG
Firstly, I love going to the movies alone. I just went to a double feature Thursday night of Rogue One and Manchester By The Sea all alone and loved it.

As for Passengers. I was literally running errands on my way to see it tonight and couldn't decide if I really wanted to go. My wife has friends over hosting a party for a moms group so I was just trying to get out of the house. I had been to three movies in the last week and didn't want to sit in a theatre really. I opened this thread, which I've avoided, hoping to just gleam some reviews. I got the general sense it's a dud. and then accidentally read one line basically seemingly spilling the plot that Pratt is the one who unfreezes Lawerence and then sets her up to fall in love with him.

Guess it's my own fault for breaking my own rule. I NEVER open threads of movies I want to see until I see them. Maybe that will turn out to be a minor spoiler but it seems pretty major. Anyway. I ended up picking up Freebirds and going back home and watching Hell Or High Water on my MacBook. I am guessing I made the right decision. HOHW was excellent and Passengers is still sitting at 31% on Rotten Tomatoes.

TajMaballer
AG
Just got out of Passengers.. you made the right call. HOHW is easily a top 10 movie of the year. Passengers, while not terrible, is very disappointing.
Ag Since 83
AG
A whole lot of blah with a dumb ending.

Had I not known the major plot point blacked out above from this thread, and simply gone in knowing what they gave us in the trailers, I might have gotten up and walked out when it happened.
Bunk Moreland
Ag Since 83 said:

Had I not known the major plot point blacked out above from this thread, and simply gone in knowing what they gave us in the trailers, I might have gotten up and walked out when it happened.

They bungled that plot point that bad?
The Debt
I'm have not seen it, but I assume Chris Pratt blows smoke rings around JLaws naked body suspended in zero g's. Then Pratt explains away the mechanism that allows him ignite a cigarette in an oxygenated environment.
Ag Since 83
AG
The Debt said:

I'm have not seen it, but I assume Chris Pratt blows smoke rings around JLaws naked body suspended in zero g's. Then Pratt explains away the mechanism that allows him ignite a cigarette in an oxygenated environment.
"Thank God we created the...you know...whatever device"
Ag Since 83
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Ag Since 83 said:

I don't know if they bungled it as I didn't read the script and I haven't read all of this thread, but I do feel that in a movie that depends a lot on you liking the main characters, his actions made Pratt's character pretty damn unlikeable
G Martin 87
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Ag Since 83 said:

I don't know if they bungled it as I didn't read the script and I haven't read all of this thread, but I do feel that in a movie that depends a lot on you liking the main characters, his actions made Pratt's character pretty damn unlikeable
That's the central conflict and dilemma -- if you're condemned to a life of solitude, would you doom someone else to the same fate to avoid being alone? There's just no way to explore that question without making Pratt unlikeable. In fact, the more unlikeable he is, the better. Sounds to me like they bungled the resolution. The trailers make it look like a standard romance movie, which sets the wrong expectation. Maybe that has a lot to do with the poor RT score. I haven't seen it yet, but this may be one of those movies where reviewers are missing the point of the movie, and a strong negative reaction to the choices that Pratt makes is actually evidence that the movie got it right.
Ag Since 83
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Ag Since 83 said:

That's the central conflict and dilemma -- if you're condemned to a life of solitude, would you doom someone else to the same fate to avoid being alone? There's just no way to explore that question without making Pratt unlikeable. In fact, the more unlikeable he is, the better. Sounds to me like they bungled the resolution. The trailers make it look like a standard romance movie, which sets the wrong expectation. Maybe that has a lot to do with the poor RT score. I haven't seen it yet, but this may be one of those movies where reviewers are missing the point of the movie, and a strong negative reaction to the choices that Pratt makes is actually evidence that the movie got it right.
But there's no moral conflict/dilemma: you just don't do what he did. The reviews I looked at RT this morning nailed it: this is a movie about a creepy stalker relying on Stockholm Syndrome to get him what he wants, and if you replace Pratt with anyone less attractive/likable, the story gets a universal "are you kidding me?" reaction.

From the moment Lawrence's character gets over the initial shock of being awake too early, she's essentially putty in his hands. I guess she kind of becomes interesting when she finds out the truth, but the third act is definitely bungled by abandoning whatever morality play is at work and instead turning into a "well we gotta save the day!" film, thanks to the deus ex machina that is Laurence Fishburne. I have more thoughts on the ending but I won't go into them as it's a major spoiler.

This is simply a film that relies on hot actors, a shiny ship, and beautiful CGI to make you ignore the horrible subtext.
MooreTrucker
AG
The Debt said:

I'm have not seen it, but I assume Chris Pratt blows smoke rings around JLaws naked body suspended in zero g's.
Well, that certainly would make it worth seeing
hurleyag
AG
The Debt said:

Great reference! One of my favorite movies!
PatriotAg02
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

Or people could just realize that 99.9% of humans wouldn't care one bit, if they even noticed to begin with, that you were seeing a movie by yourself. And that the tiny fraction of people who may look down on you for something so silly are more pathetic than you'll ever be.

Life is too short to let stuff like that bother you and based on my experience, your life will be more enjoyable and fulfilling once you stop giving a damn.

THIS.

I have been alone for 80 % of my life and have been to tons of movies alone. Embrace it. I actually prefer to be alone now more than ever. Most people annoy me.

Off-peak hours are the best as well. Less people to annoy me (noise, phones, etc).

Like he said, most people just don't care. I don't go around judging people for fun. Most people have their own problems and thoughts as it is.
Jim01
AG
Agreed. I remember seeing Up In The Air by myself in a nearly empty theatre and thus extremely cute brunette in a beanie cap come in all alone. I was happily married already but kept thinking how damn sexy it was seeing her alone watching a Reitman movie.
White Liberals=The Worst
Ag Since 83 said:

The reviews I looked at RT this morning nailed it: this is a movie about a creepy stalker relying on Stockholm Syndrome to get him what he wants, and if you replace Pratt with anyone less attractive/likable, the story gets a universal "are you kidding me?" reaction.

Can you imagine if they casted someone like Steve Buschemi or Clint Howard instead of Pratt? At first she's just devastated by the news and creeped out by her male counterparts presence and then the second half of the movie is her trying to stalk him down to kill him when she learns the truth of what he did and why. I'd definitely go see that.
chipotle
Should have replaced Pratt with DJ Qualls

White Liberals=The Worst
Or Jacob Reynolds from "Gummo"

Take my f-ing money, I might see that twice.

Saxsoon
AG
I don't have the time to schedule something with people. They want to grab dinner as well and I may have to wait past opening weekend to see it. It was great when I did it for Fantastic Beasts/Rogue One because those are both established franchises that my friends love and wanted to see opening night.

Most of my friends are just not on the same wavelength and have no interest in most movies (or at least seeing them opening night.

It seriously is one of the most relaxing things in the world for me. If friends show interest in advance, sure I will plan it out, but otherwise my default is alone.
redd38
AG
I go to most movies alone, it's awesome. I don't need a friend with me to sit in silence in a dark room.
White Liberals=The Worst
redd38 said:

I go to most movies alone, it's awesome. I don't need a friend with me to sit in silence in a dark room.
I actually prefer seeing movies by myself. I like to be silent during a movie and a lot of my friends, and sometimes my wife, don't. I like to dress like a bum and go sit alone and process the movie on my own without any distractions. There are certain exceptions though...i.e. comedies or chick flicks.
Counterpoint
AG
I might have a weirder phobia than "going to see movies alone". I HATE seeing a movie I love (or know I'm going to love) with someone who isn't really into it. Makes me uncomfortable the whole time, and then I don't enjoy it that much either.
Old Main
AG
I just saw PASSENGERS and thought it was outstanding. I don't care what RT or the critics say.

I saw it in 3D and highly recommend the experience.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/F4lKw2Et.png[/img]
imjustsayin
AG
Just saw it as well and it was worth the price of admission. It wasn't some oscar winning thought provoking film but an enjoyable experience that held my attention the entire time.

This is exactly why I insist on seeing movies I want to see even if RT doesn't give it high marks. I guess I'm just not as deep as the critics are in reviewing movies.
boogieman
AG
Definitely not as bad as the rotten tomatoes score. I enjoyed it.
BassCowboy33
Really enjoyed it. I read some reviews and was expecting something terrible at the end, but when it was over, I thought, "Really? People are getting angry over that?"

Dad
AG

FtBendTxAg
AG
Just saw it and agree that it was worth the admission. Not crazy good, but very watchable.
Dad
AG
Dad
AG
VanZandt92
Wycliffe_03 said:

redd38 said:

I actually prefer seeing movies by myself. I like to be silent during a movie and a lot of my friends, and sometimes my wife, don't. I like to dress like a bum and go sit alone and process the movie on my own without any distractions. There are certain exceptions though...i.e. comedies or chick flicks.

I saw Dark Knight alone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.