*****Avengers: Age of Ultron discussion*****

68,974 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
dcaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vision was Ultron's vision of his perfect form.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
Vision was Ultron's vision of his perfect form.

I thought Thor saw him in his vision as well, really hammering home (no pun intended) what is name would be.
rhutton125
AG
Thor had a vision of destruction and the infinity stones, including one in Vision's head - I guess this convinced him that they needed the new creature on their side. Cap first says the name when he asks something like "and what did your Vision show you?".

Later, when Vision confronts Ultron, he says "My Vision... they really did take everything from me." or something similar.

So in a way it's both - Ultron's vision of a better future, and a perfected body for himself, and Thor's vision of the end-times.
israeliag
AG
And Vision's flesh is laced with Vibranium, right?

What set his AI to good, rather than the destructive anti-human of Ultron? Was it Thor's doing? Did I miss any reprogramming from Stark/Banner?
bedofbrass33
AG
quote:

What set his AI to good, rather than the destructive anti-human of Ultron? Was it Thor's doing? Did I miss any reprogramming from Stark/Banner?

Jarvis provided the "good" component.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:

Yup, the core of his consciousness is composed of JARVIS.
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That makes sense. OK, so JARVIS wasn't a fully sentient AI, but with the Mind Gem it had become one. And, JARVIS + Mind Gem was able to overcome the Ultron programming in Vision, or was it a blank slate?
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That makes sense. OK, so JARVIS wasn't a fully sentient AI, but with the Mind Gem it had become one. And, JARVIS + Mind Gem was able to overcome the Ultron programming in Vision, or was it a blank slate?

The way I took it was that Ultron had uploaded his base OS to the body and it was basically a blank slate awaiting the actual consciousness/program.
double aught
AG
Was he called Vision in the movie? I didn't know his name until I read this thread.

Loved the flick!
rhutton125
AG
Only peripherally - as mentioned above, Cap refers to Thor's vision, and then Ultron calls him "my vision." At the end of the film, as Cap, Thor and Stark walk down a hallway, they refer to him a few times as The Vision.

I appreciate the more subtle naming in this movie - like how they never said "call me Quicksilver" or "AKA Scarlet Witch." X-Men: First Class was a lot more on the nose about announcing their obscure characters to the audience, and I could barely contain my disgust.

"You're Havok. You're Banshee. I'm Mystique. And you're the Professor!"
double aught
AG
Whedon and company faked me out. I totally thought Hawkeye's days were numbered after having a more prominent role, family scenes, saying goodbye to the wife, etc.
mazag08
AG
The problem with the movie and with Ultron as a villain, was that you didn't for a second think that anyone had any chance of dying. Nobody struggled with the robot army either.

And just when you think they might be in over their heads, they miraculously discover/ create a new all powered superhero to defeat the greatest enemy they have ever faced. I don't think Vision should have been in this movie, and I definitely think Ultron should have spanned multiple movies.

And you have a freaking God on your side. In his own movies, he is all powerful and feared across worlds. Yet on Earth, he is just a member of a team and barely more powerful than other members.

This movie was fantastic, but the whole thing didn't have the feel of the first one. That with overwhelming odds and nowhere to turn, they had to work together to win.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
The problem with the movie and with Ultron as a villain, was that you didn't for a second think that anyone had any chance of dying. Nobody struggled with the robot army either.

Tell that to Quicksilver
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Doesn't really count when you introduce a new character and kill him in the same movie. I agree, someone needed to die. Someone important.
schmendeler
AG
quote:

And just when you think they might be in over their heads, they miraculously discover/ create a new all powered superhero to defeat the greatest enemy they have ever faced. I don't think Vision should have been in this movie, and I definitely think Ultron should have spanned multiple movies.

And you have a freaking God on your side. In his own movies, he is all powerful and feared across worlds. Yet on Earth, he is just a member of a team and barely more powerful than other members.

This movie was fantastic, but the whole thing didn't have the feel of the first one. That with overwhelming odds and nowhere to turn, they had to work together to win.

well said.
mazag08
AG
Forgot about Quicksilver. But the actor was terrible and he was not a character you connected to.
tamusc
AG
quote:
I don't disagree that Ultron seemed more like a plot device rather than main focus later in the movie, but you have to have Vision if you have Ultron. Now, if they had split this into two movies, then I could see the first one not having Vision.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Forgot about Quicksilver. But the actor was terrible and he was not a character you connected to.

I actually agree with about everything you said. Just had to point that out.

Still loved the movie though.
double aught
AG
He was better in X-Men. I did like when he grabbed the hammer though.
schmendeler
AG
I have a hard time believing that ultron didn't back up a copy of himself in the cloud.
tamusc
AG
quote:
I have a hard time believing that ultron didn't back up a copy of himself in the cloud.
It's definitely possible that he uploaded a copy of himself to some server that was taken off line prior to the final battle, but the Vision made a point to say that he eliminated Ultron from the internet while also preventing him from uploading a new copy during the battle.
rhutton125
AG
There was definitely a moment - when Hawkeye saw the kid trapped under the rubble - that I think everyone, the character included, knew "this is the part where a hero dies." But Whedon pulled a fast one (...gross, unintentional pun) by making that Quicksilver instead of Barton. I thought that was a nice touch, since if you had asked someone "which of the 6 Avengers is most likely to die," everyone would have said Hawkeye.

That said, Hawkeye being in danger was more of a plot element than a reflection of Ultron's strength.

I do think, however, that Ultron was still pretty freaky. There were a few gasps in the theater when he appeared in Dr. Cho's lab and told he he'd kill her entire staff if she screamed (and he eventually followed through on that threat). There were also a few gasps as he grabbed Black Widow from the falling truck. He could have killed her there (and really should have), though for whatever reason he didn't.

I don't really expect any of these movies to have that true, "anyone could die" Game of Thrones feel. If you pay attention to these things, you'd know that everyone except Quicksilver and Hulk, I think, had already signed on for at least another movie. But we still got a death - in addition to thousands of civilian deaths (which we actually saw more of, this time - Avengers 1 had the feeling that only a handful of people actually died).

And if speculation is correct, there will be fallout - either from the events of this film, or Ant-Man, or early into the Civil War - that will affect the team and the MCU as a whole. This wasn't necessarily a "feel good" ending like Avengers 1 where everyone made it out unscathed. The team is mostly blown up. What happens next will be very interesting.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
It's definitely possible that he uploaded a copy of himself to some server that was taken off line prior to the final battle, but the Vision made a point to say that he eliminated Ultron from the internet while also preventing him from uploading a new copy during the battle.

Ultron can easily come back if Marvel wants him to
TennAg
quote:
dude that would take like a hundred sky-drive accounts..be realistic
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:
dude that would take like a hundred sky-drive accounts..be realistic

but only one former student's association account.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I may be in the minority, but I didn't really care for him in the X-Men movie. Oh wow, he uses his powers to be a petty crook and is just generally a dick. They use him for one admittedly cool scene and then tell him to go home? Not to mention the HUUUUGGGEEEEE goof where he can apparently listen to a song on his Walkman while running at superfast speed. Wouldn't he in actuality just be listening to the first note of the song being drawn out over the course of his actions?

I thought the Avengers Quicksilver was a much better character: his motivations made sense, his interactions with his sister was welcome in these movies and he had an actual arc to his character.
TexasAggie_02
AG
one thing that really bugged me is that after taking the scepter from the lab, they just left. they left all the equipment. etc just laying there for anyone to pick up. And ultron heads back there to set up shop.

You've been hunting hydra to the ends of the earth, and you just leave all that research/equipment/chitauri leviathan there.

SHIELD/STARK INDUSTRIES/Someone should have had a clean up crew there, but all they take are the scepter and some files.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:
I may be in the minority, but I didn't really care for him in the X-Men movie. Oh wow, he uses his powers to be a petty crook and is just generally a dick. They use him for one admittedly cool scene and then tell him to go home? Not to mention the HUUUUGGGEEEEE goof where he can apparently listen to a song on his Walkman while running at superfast speed. Wouldn't he in actuality just be listening to the first note of the song being drawn out over the course of his actions?

I thought the Avengers Quicksilver was a much better character: his motivations made sense, his interactions with his sister was welcome in these movies and he had an actual arc to his character.

if you want to get nit-picky, you can also add the idea that a gravity free fall from jet liner heights of that chunk of city would really kill billions of people. maybe if it was travelling at normal asteroid speeds.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I know that you can nit-pick every single thing in a comic book film.

But the idea of him putting on his headphones while time has slowed to a crawl and somehow his music plays normally was just kinda odd, even for a fantastical comic book film.

And I still liked the Avengers version better....that scene with Thor's hammer was just great.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

if you want to get nit-picky, you can also add the idea that a gravity free fall from jet liner heights of that chunk of city would really kill billions of people. maybe if it was travelling at normal asteroid speeds.
once it started to drop, there were thrusters pushing it down.

I thought the city/amount of damage wouldn't amount to much, but then i googled the size of the asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs. It was estimated to be between 6-10 miles. I could see the city being around 6 miles.

Also, i don't think it reached its preferred height, ultron dropped it due to the resistance he was facing.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ultron can easily come back if Marvel wants him to
Oh I totally agree, he could have beamed himself to some place off planet or been backed up to some off-line storage like I mentioned.
Red Five
AG
The Avengers have fought at least 18 different incarnations of Ultron in the comics, so I doubt he is ever out of play.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:

My audience disagrees with you in both showings. There were audible shocks and groans from the audience when he died
double aught
AG
quote:
But the idea of him putting on his headphones while time has slowed to a crawl and somehow his music plays normally was just kinda odd, even for a fantastical comic book film.
His clothes don't fly off due to wind. His goggles stay on. Magneto speeds up with him when he grabs him. Is it totally unreasonable to think that his Walkman speeds up like everything else? Yours is an interesting point but one that's explained fairly easily. I definitely wouldn't call it a "HUUUUGGGEEEEE" goof. But I don't mean to derail....

ScarJo is crazy hot. And that Asian doctor wasn't too bad either.
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:

My audience disagrees with you in both showings. There were audible shocks and groans from the audience when he died
Same reaction in the showing I was in yesterday, although I think it was also a bit of relief/shock that Hawkeye was alright followed immediately by the realization that Quicksilver had instead given his life.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.