*****Avengers: Age of Ultron discussion*****

68,973 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Isn't cap America 3 titled "Captian America, the civil war"? I would assume that is where the civil war officially begins.

That's where it begins, but I think that most expected AoU to more directly feed into it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Doesn't matter, Star Wars will take it a few months from now.

As much as a sw fan as I am, I have very little desire to see it the first day with the unwashed masses.

I remember nerds cheering when r2 oil slicked a super battle droid and heard nerd howling when wookies were howling on kashykk.

I hate this sentiment. Does it bother you that much to have people sitting in the seat next to you? What is the big deal?
TCTTS
AG
Never thought I'd say this, but I absolutely LOVED it. I kept waiting for a lull or a misfire of some kind as many fanboy critics said there'd be, and it just never happened. I was constantly entertained.

And to echo what SP said earlier, this movie was indeed HILARIOUS. Like, not cheesy funny, but straight up, laugh out loud funny. Just so spot on with the humor. I think that's what surprised me the most.

Sure, I share many of the same complaints already mentioned in the thread, but they're so minor and not worth rehashing. Still, I honestly can't understand how this didn't meet expectations for some people. It was exactly what it needed to be. And it didn't feel like filler to me either. Sometimes, instead of judging a story by what happens with the plot, judge it by what happens with the characters. There were some great arcs here, with so many characters really coming into their own and finally figuring out who they are. In that regard, I felt like more "happened" in this movie than almost any other one.

This won't be one I re-watch a ton, but man, what an all around fun experience this go-around. GREAT way to kick-off the summer.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Never thought I'd say this, but I absolutely LOVED it. I kept waiting for a lull or a misfire of some kind as many fanboy critics said there'd be, and it just never happened. I was constantly entertained.

And to echo what SP said earlier, this movie was indeed HILARIOUS. Like, not cheesy funny, but straight up, laugh out loud funny. Just so spot on with the humor. I think that's what surprised me the most.

Sure, I share many of the same complaints already mentioned in the thread, but they're so minor and not worth rehashing. Still, I honestly can't understand how this didn't meet expectations for some people. It was exactly what it needed to be. And it didn't feel like filler to me either. Sometimes, instead of judging a story by what happens with the plot, judge it by what happens with the characters. There were some great arcs here, with so many characters really coming into their own and finally figuring out who they are. In that regard, I felt like more "happened" in this movie than almost any other one.

This won't be one I re-watch a ton, but man, what an all around fun experience this go-around. GREAT way to kick-off the summer.
I agree very much on the character development being nails throughout. They really utilized Scarlet Witch very well in that regard.
bedofbrass33
AG
Really enjoyed the movie.

I'm in love with Wanda Maximoff but I think her rescue but the Vision is already setting the stage for some pipe laying between them.
Philo B 93
I like the way they address cursing early in the movie. I immediately relaxed about having my 9 year old with me.

Good movie, but I liked GOTG, Iron Man 1, and Avengers 1 better. Out of 11 or 12 of these movies, that ranks this one at fourth.
The Debt
quote:
quote:
quote:

As much as a sw fan as I am, I have very little desire to see it the first day with the unwashed masses.

I remember nerds cheering when r2 oil slicked a super battle droid and heard nerd howling when wookies were howling on kashykk.

I hate this sentiment. Does it bother you that much to have people sitting in the seat next to you? What is the big deal?

of what I wrote, you think I have a problem with the mere existence of people in proximity to me?
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:

Yeah I'll probably avoid the largest screens in the first week to stay away from the crowds.
rhutton125
AG
Guy behind me totally caked his pants at the hammer bit. From then on he was all noise. Very distracting.
Saxsoon
AG
I guess that is part of what I enjoy so much about the movies.

I went to the early showings on Thursday and the crowd was so into it. Saw it again early yesterday, and while the crowd loved it, the same atmosphere wasn't there. Something special (to me personally) about the early Thursday showings.
toucan82
quote:
Guy behind me totally caked his pants at the hammer bit. From then on he was all noise. Very distracting.
if loving Thor and his big hammer is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
AgLaw
AG
Just saw a 10:00 showing, and the theater was packed. It may have been sold out. Incredible.

Loved the movie. Cannot wait for the stars to align and bring the entire Marvel universe. Into one studio.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:

I am very curious as to what happens with the Russo Twins doing Infinity Wars. They arguably directed the best film in the marvel verse with Winter Soldier. That was a small piece in terms of juggling characters with just Cap, Widow, and Falcon. I don't think Infinity Wars will be nearly as humorous and not just because Joss isn't directing. In a film like that, it is going to have to be darker (with still the light touches) and I think they can handle it. Winter Solider is easily the most serious of the films, but it had it's moments, like the jogging scene to open the film.

I don't know, we shall see, but I think the Russo twins are coming in at a good time to take the Avengers in a more serious direction.
TexasAggie_02
AG
I'm guessing that the new Avengers will be in part one and get their asses handed to them, then everyone comes together in part two to rally to the finish.
fig96
AG
Went to the early show this morning, what a blast. Just a great summer popcorn movie, well paced and funny without feeling out of place from the action. And that first oner to open the film...holy crap what a shot.

One question on something that to me seemed a bit random, what exactly happened with Thor going to Selvig to relive his dream? I didn't follow the whole underground cave thing there and it wasn't really explained.
mazag08
AG
quote:

Not saying I told you so, but I told you so.
schmendeler
AG
Didn't read the whole thread but I was somewhat disappointed. It was a fun movie, but didn't really offer anything that made me say, I really liked that. I enjoyed guardians of the galaxy a lot more. Also, winter soldier and iron man three. I think a lot of it has to do with the realities of an ensemble cast of super heroes. It just feels ad hoc. I felt the same way toward the first one. Not mad or anything, but just seems like a filler movie to me.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

I am very curious as to what happens with the Russo Twins doing Infinity Wars. They arguably directed the best film in the marvel verse with Winter Soldier. That was a small piece in terms of juggling characters with just Cap, Widow, and Falcon. I don't think Infinity Wars will be nearly as humorous and not just because Joss isn't directing. In a film like that, it is going to have to be darker (with still the light touches) and I think they can handle it. Winter Solider is easily the most serious of the films, but it had it's moments, like the jogging scene to open the film.

I don't know, we shall see, but I think the Russo twins are coming in at a good time to take the Avengers in a more serious direction.

Just FYI, they're only brothers, not twins. In a weird coincidence, one of my founding/producing partners at our production company has been friends with them for years, and was just asked by them to handle all their TV endeavors from here on out. They're obviously busy directing until 2019 or so, but they want to produce more TV and want my buddy to essentially be their point man for that. Won't affect his duties with our company either, since he'll basically be doing freelance for both. So freaking cool. Twice in the past month I've been on the phone with him and he's had to cut it short because "Joe's calling" (the older of the two). So weird to think that they know about our company via my buddy. We may eventually be able to produce a show with/through them, which would be amazing.

But yeah, more to your point, I think they'll knock these next three movies out of the park. Civivl War / Infinity War I / Infinity War II will basically be like a trilogy anyway, since everyone in house is referring to Civil War as "Avengers 2.5." After Age of Ultron, though, my ONLY concern is the humor. Whedon is SO GOOD at great one-liners, I just really hope these guys + the writers can keep up in that department. I have all the confidence in the world in their storytelling/action abilities.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
if loving Thor and his big hammer is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
I have to say that I enjoy Thor in the Avenger movies much, much more than I enjoy him in his solo films. The chemistry between the characters is just better IMO. I go back and look at first two films, and they just don't have the staying power the other solo films do.
Pro Ag
AG
Question about the last scene with Thanos...
He said he would do it himself, but this movie had no one working for him, correct?
rhutton125
AG
Thor theorizes at the very end of AoU that there's been someone pulling the strings the whole time - I guess specifically with Loki's scepter. Loki got it from someone, after all. Actually, not just the scepter - he mentions 4 of the 6 Infinity Stones appearing in the last few years. So there's a lot going on here, with galactic proportions, and it can't all be coincidence.

I just watched AoU again and it may be even better the second time. There's so much going on visually, and it's easier to pick up on themes and character arcs when you know where it's going to end up.

Vision is legit, by the way. He doesn't get a whole lot of screen time but I kept an eye on him in the action this time and he really tore **** up.
Saxsoon
AG
Yeah, he is truly the first SUPER hero that the MCU has seen, at least in a traditional sense. Rodey's "What?" when vision swooped in to take out ultron bots really summed it up.
lne2011
AG
When did Thanos get the Infinity Gauntlet? I thought that it was in Odin's vault.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
When did Thanos get the Infinity Gauntlet? I thought that it was in Odin's vault.

Thought the same, but... eh, that's a minor thing. The one in the vault had gens in it as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can someone explain how Thanos was pulling the strings when the creation of Ultron was Stark's doing?

I'm not really getting how Thanos had anything to do with that.
TexAg1987
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/01/is-there-more-than-one-infinity-gauntlet-in-the-mcu
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Movie opened to "only" $187 million this weekend. Second biggest opening all time, but $20 million behind Avengers.

Doubt Marvel is disappointed though, they now have the 3 biggest opening weekends of all time with Avengers ($207m), Age of Ultron ($187m), and Iron Man 3 ($174m).

Seems RDJ is worth every penny of his salary. Pretty crazy he's involved in the three biggest opening weekends ever.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:

I'm pretty sure that was an Easter egg. Same as cap's shield being in Tony Starks shop in IM2.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty sure that was an Easter egg. Same as cap's shield being in Tony Starks shop in IM2.

And the first IM. In both cases, it was in pieces. Assumed to be some sort of prototype or copy.
TexAg1987
It's not a copy. There are two. Read the link posted above.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
It's not a copy. There are two. Read the link posted above.

Link above says nothing about Cap's shield.
TexAg1987
Misread. My bad.
TennAg
quote:
Ultron literally goes from something nobody has ever heard of to being fully sentient and murdery in about 5 minutes. Wish they would've thought to tease him even the slightest in Iron Man 2/3 or Avengers 1.

I'm guessing the spontaneous introduction of both Ultron and Vision is a nod to the widely held belief that as soon as AI evolves into super-artificial intelligence, it will happen at a break-neck type of speed that we can't even fathom. exponential evolutional leaps stacked upon exponential leaps at processesing speeds we can't even imagine.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
I'm guessing that the new Avengers will be in part one and get their asses handed to them, then everyone comes together in part two to rally to the finish.

Wouldn't the "obvious" ending to IW1 be Vision losing the Mind Gem to Thanos? Maybe that gives him 5 of 6 and the varsity team returns to prevent him from getting #6. Halfway through, he gets it anyway, and that sets up the final round.
LeonardSkinner
My two cents are much the same as most everyone else's. Spader owned Ultron. Hawkeye showed why he is an Avenger. I thought the Stark mind **** scene might be foreshadowing Infinity Wars, though.

Looking forward to the director's cut.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.