*****Avengers: Age of Ultron discussion*****

69,161 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
AccountantAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I don't necessarily mean that it has to be an army of super powered villains vs the avengers a la xmen.

I just wish the main villain were powerful enough to force the team to work together more. If anyone watched the old xmen cartoon, the episode where several xmen have to team up to take down juggernaut because no one could do it on their own is what comes to mind.

And I agree I think Thanos will do that.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Watched it with my company today (free!!!!). I was blown away again. The humor was well placed. I really didn't know how they were going to play all of the characters together but wow. Give Joss the helm and he'll bring you home. The mid credits scene was exactly what I wanted to see.

I really really really wanted to see a toss to Agents of Shield. I know Joss said he consideres Coulson dead. But seriously, the other characters aren't . I would have loved to see at least one main character from AoS in there.

I never felt like Civil War was being setup. Can anyone help me out with what would have set that up? i thought there was discussion of that.
wangus12
AG
quote:
I never felt like Civil War was being setup. Can anyone help me out with what would have set that up? i thought there was discussion of that.
The tension between Cap and Stark during most of the movie, as well as previous movies. Granted they seemed to part on good terms.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Yeah, I got that part, but I really didn't feel like that qualified as a "setup".
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
The tension between Cap and Stark during most of the movie, as well as previous movies. Granted they seemed to part on good terms.
I thought their discussion at the farm and Cap's comment that preemptively stopping war was a good set up. Also Stark's vision and his incessant need to save the world that it causes him to make terrible terrible decisions, much like Ultron.
MrPlow2010
AG
I thought it was really good. I read some where that Whedon is a big star wars fan and he said phase 2 is Marvel's Empire Strikes Back. So every marvel phase 2 has somebody get their arm cut off and Serkis got his chopped off by Ultron. I think Killian's arm in Iron Man 3, Loki in Thor 2, Winter Soldier has fake arm, and Groot in GOTG. I guess that means Any Man will have it too. Pretty cool
NewJerseyAggie
IS this better in 3d, or is 2d the way to go
AliasMan02
AG
Joss really is a master, isn't he? Such a great job. I'm sure he feels good about going out having done what many thought was impossible in delivering the Avengers to the big screen.

Cons:

Very few, but one thing that might sound weird: I saw it on a huge screen, and I sorta wish I had seen it on a smaller screen, and look forward to seeing it on my TV. There is just SO MUCH going on in every shot, especially during the fights, that it seemed to run together at time. That's not much of a con, I realize.

The Infinity Stones talk was a bit "on the nose," but I get why they did it the way they did. Especially with time constraints, you just have to put it out there as plainly as possible.

Agree with others that I'd have liked to have seen some of the AoS crew on the bridge of the Helicarrier. No lines or anything, and no Coulson, but if Fury had to put together a skeleton crew to operate the carrier, who is more available than Coulson's team? Would have been a nice nod if May was in the shot giving orders in the background, or whatever. Just a nice nod to fans of the show.

Somehow they never mentioned the twins' origin in a way that referenced Inhumans or the diviner or the terrigen mists. I'm just more surprised than anything.

Pros

Wow. So many. Ultron was great. I've read people saying he was too snarky and emotive, but I loved it. I didn't want to see another mechanical, emotionaless automoton. They took it totally the other way and hit it out of the park.

Such great humor. Such great action. Such great everything.

Remember when RDJ was a washed-up has-been and Marvel was crazy for picking him up? And he got second billing to TERRENCE HOWARD?!?! lolz

Speaking of, I loved War Machine getting the screen time. It was all hands on deck, and we got all hands.

Thought Vision wielding the hammer was one of the best set-ups and deliveries I've ever seen.

Hawkeye absolutely stole the show. He was basically a non-character in the last one, but Joss made it up to him in a huge way.

Other thoughts

I'm feeling pretty secure in what was once just a wild theory. At some point there is going to have to be a "was for Cap's shield" type storyline, obviously. Bucky and Falcon will both claim the title. I'm telling you that Natasha will be in the mix for that as well. Her role as Cap's de facto sidekick is a big part of it, but she's also handled the shield very pointedly a couple of times. I just don't think it's a coincidence.

Because Cap and Stark parted on good terms, I'm now fairly certain that the big Civil War trigger will take place during Ant Man. You'll have a non-Avenger rogue superhero (Ant Man) that is going to royally screw up and innocent people will be killed. That will initiate the ideological conflict.
The Debt
It wasnt filmed with the 3D Fusion camera...so no.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Because Cap and Stark parted on good terms, I'm now fairly certain that the big Civil War trigger will take place during Ant Man. You'll have a non-Avenger rogue superhero (Ant Man) that is going to royally screw up and innocent people will be killed. That will initiate the ideological conflict.
<spoiler/conjecture>

Not going to be Ant Man.

From what I understand they are setting up the next Avengers movie to have NONE of the current Avengers as they will disband in the wake of Civil War- it will have Ant Man, Scarlet Witch, Dr Strange, Black Panther, Vision.
But as it leads into the Infiniti Stone storyline, the ENTIRE team, plus others (Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy) will all have to be involved to stop Thanos.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
quote:
<spoiler/conjecture>

Not going to be Ant Man.

From what I understand they are setting up the next Avengers movie to have NONE of the current Avengers as they will disband in the wake of Civil War- it will have Ant Man, Scarlet Witch, Dr Strange, Black Panther, Vision.
But as it leads into the Infiniti Stone storyline, the ENTIRE team, plus others (Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy) will all have to be involved to stop Thanos.
Dr. Strange won't be an Avenger, and don't forget about Captain Marvel, but the rest of that I think is a pretty solid prediction.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
Somehow they never mentioned the twins' origin in a way that referenced Inhumans or the diviner or the terrigen mists. I'm just more surprised than anything.

I'm 99.9% sure Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver aren't Inhumans, that's why. I believe they're mutants, but that can't be said out right because of contractual reasons having to do with the X-men movies.

Movie was fantastic. I think it did just fine very slightly teasing Civil War....Cap and Tony don't have to be out right feuding before Civil War, just on different sides of an intellectual debate. They clearly are. The physical split will come when the government requires the superheroes to register. Hell, they did so much damage to NY in the first Avengers, and now destroying a whole city in the second one, it won't be a stretch to see world governments having their fill of it and demanding a tighter rein on heroes.
BTHOthatguy
Ok so at the end of Iron Man 3 Tony destroys all his suits and seems on the path to peace. Yet at the beginning of Age of Ultron not only has he built numerous suits, but he's back to war mongering. WTF? That's a major character development that in no way was explained.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm 99.9% sure Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver aren't Inhumans, that's why. I believe they're mutants, but that can't be said out right because of contractual reasons having to do with the X-men movies.

The twins are the result of experiments with the scepter. Not inhumans, not mutants. They were given their powers by Hydra.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
The robot team tony has in AoU is nonviolent and used to keep civilians safe. I guess that's what sets it apart from the ones he blew up in IM3.
BigRobSA
quote:
IS this better in 3d, or is 2d the way to go
2D.

I saw nothing in 3D that would warrant paying extra for it, other than avoiding the crowds of LOLpoors that can't afford it.

Seriously. 2D is just fine. I got 3D because it was less crowded.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The twins are the result of experiments with the scepter. Not inhumans, not mutants. They were given their powers by Hydra.

As far the movie goes, you're correct. I had a lapse and was referring back to their true comic origin. The movie just conveniently tied them into the scepter because they can't legally say their true comic origin (mutants) due to Sony owning the rights to X-men, the names "Scarlet Witch" and "Quicksilver", and even the generic term mutant. Notice in the movie they just called them "enhanced", "the twins", or their birth names. I actually forgot about that until thinking about the movie after seeing it.

In the comics they are mutant children of Magneto.
rhutton125
AG
They used QS and SW in promos and commercials though - I think it's just a more natural way to go about it than saying "so what do we call you?" "Hmm, call me SCARLET WITCH!!!" She'll go by that in the future, I'm sure.

But yeah - can't say mutant, and I'm glad they didn't force Inhumans already.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Saw it last night, thought it was pretty good and enjoyed it.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I just think that everyone assumed they would be Inhumans. Also, leading up to this, Hydra had been doing a lot of playing with the Diviners (plural, of which we've only seen one).
toucan82
pour one out for Pietro
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I thought they would be inhumans, too. And I know they are mutants in the comics, but in the movie they were "enhanced" enemies created by Hydra's experiments with the scepter. It's not super clear, especially since they did nothing to dissuade the inhumans line of thought prior to release, but that's what they are.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interestingly, didn't beat the opening day record as everyone expected. $85M to HP7's $91M.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Interestingly, didn't beat the opening day record as everyone expected. $85M to HP7's $91M.
What counts as an "opening day" these days? Do all of the Thursday showings get lumped into Friday's box office?
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:
What counts as an "opening day" these days? Do all of the Thursday showings get lumped into Friday's box office?

Yes, as showings are typically midnight or later.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Doesn't matter, Star Wars will take it a few months from now.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, as showings are typically midnight or later.
Most Thursday showings start in the evening (7:00 or so), rather than midnight. The midnight showing still exists, but it's no longer a loophole thing for a Friday release.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
quote:
Watched it with my company today (free!!!!). I was blown away again. The humor was well placed. I really didn't know how they were going to play all of the characters together but wow. Give Joss the helm and he'll bring you home. The mid credits scene was exactly what I wanted to see.

I really really really wanted to see a toss to Agents of Shield. I know Joss said he consideres Coulson dead. But seriously, the other characters aren't . I would have loved to see at least one main character from AoS in there.

Was there a presentation shown on the screen with a guy named Clayton who had a pipe? Just curious.
The Debt
quote:
Doesn't matter, Star Wars will take it a few months from now.

As much as a sw fan as I am, I have very little desire to see it the first day with the unwashed masses.

I remember nerds cheering when r2 oil slicked a super battle droid and heard nerd howling when wookies were howling on kashykk.
Pro Ag
AG
quote:
Ok so at the end of Iron Man 3 Tony destroys all his suits and seems on the path to peace. Yet at the beginning of Age of Ultron not only has he built numerous suits, but he's back to war mongering. WTF? That's a major character development that in no way was explained.

I wish they would have at least a throw away line for this. They talked about the group being together to track down the septre. My thought is that with Hydra being exposed, Tony got back into the suit business and they just left us to assume that.

Hopefully the extended cut will speak to it a bit.
zgood10
AG
Anybody else get the Tomorrowland scene before their showing?
zgood10
AG
Also thought the movie was great. I just enjoy all the interconnectedness of all the Marvel movies
Saxsoon
AG
Went back to a round two. Still loved it!

Also got to the star wars trailer in imax regal 3d and got the super extended tomorrowland scene.
israeliag
AG
Well that was fun
PlayToWin2000
AG
Isn't cap America 3 titled "Captian America, the civil war"? I would assume that is where the civil war officially begins.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.