Wow, this is harsh - Country Music

115,398 Views | 695 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieSouth06
Gigem314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBm4Tx2bRo

Zac Brown Band with Chris Cornell - Heavy is the Head

Zac Brown Band doing a rock song, and it's actually pretty decent. It's a throwback to 90s rock, but does show that the band has significant talent.

Also, I first heard this song on Octane on Sirius and not a country station. I was pretty shocked when I first heard it.

I imagine this will make some people angry as well.
I think it's awesome. And while that will make some of the 'traditional country' folks annoyed, this is VERY different from bands like Florida/Georgia Line.

Zac Brown Band has authenticity in their music and songwriting. They're not writing a bunch of country-pop songs. They're not trying to convey a 'country' image and singing with fake twang. They love to cover rock songs at the concerts. They're country, southern rock, singer/songwriter, and modern rock.

They're my favorite country/southern band by far right now.

Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson didn't sound like traditional country, but there was an authenticity in their music that connected with people. That's the key to good country music. It's not about one particular sound.
Kate Beckett
AG
Here is a link about country radio not wanting to play Girl Crush by Little Big Town. Interesting article to say the least. Been running rampant on my Facebook page.

Why stations are pulling Little Big Town's 'Girl Crush'-and what that says about country radio
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Here is a link about country radio not wanting to play Girl Crush by Little Big Town. Interesting article to say the least. Been running rampant on my Facebook page.

Why stations are pulling Little Big Town's 'Girl Crush'-and what that says about country radio

Bobby Bones hosts a national country morning show now?
Kate Beckett
AG
Yes. I remember hearing it in Nashville in January.
powerbelly
AG
Yes, for a couple years now.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:

Yet another example of ignorance dictating policy.
Kate Beckett
AG
Exactly. Sent the link to a friend of mine to listen to THE ENTIRE SONG. This person loves music so I knew he'd understand. I get up this morning to a reply from them:

"Wow a unique and interesting song! Is this about girls liking girls?"

OMG NO. Facepalm. How can people not get this song?
dfphotos
Song is not a good one. End of controversy.
Wait. We spend an entire thread talking about how dumb people are that listen to today's country and then we are supposed to be shocked that they can't understand song meanings?
Kate Beckett
AG
It is partly that, and partly the fact that stations are pulling it off the air. I despise FGL's Sun Daze and complain about it, but you don't see them taking it off the air. If you don't like the song, then change to a different station for 3 minutes.
et98
AG
I like Girl Crush. It's a pretty good song. It's slow & simple.
Gigem314
AG
quote:
quote:

Yep. It's beyond stupid. "Oh noes...it mentions tasting another girl's lips! Let's not find out the meaning or what it's about...but assume it's a lesbian song and ban it! More bro country please!"

I don't remember 'Follow Your Arrow' by Kasey Musgraves even having that kind of reaction, and unlike Girl Crush it really is talking about girls kissing girls. It's just ignorance. The irony is, Little Big Town is one of the more openly Christian country groups out there.

I also think they have a unique sound. Very much like The Eagles/Fleetwood Mac/Sheryl Crow. They've never been a traditional Nashville country band, and that's one of the reasons I like their music. More substance, no fake twang, great harmonies, catchy but not over-the-top poppy like many of these groups today.
Kate Beckett
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep. It's beyond stupid. "Oh noes...it mentions tasting another girl's lips! Let's not find out the meaning or what it's about...but assume it's a lesbian song and ban it! More bro country please!"

I don't remember 'Follow Your Arrow' by Kasey Musgraves even having that kind of reaction, and unlike Girl Crush it really is talking about girls kissing girls. It's just ignorance. The irony is, Little Big Town is one of the more openly Christian country groups out there.

I also think they have a unique sound. Very much like The Eagles/Fleetwood Mac/Sheryl Crow. They've never been a traditional Nashville country band, and that's one of the reasons I like their music. More substance, no fake twang, great harmonies, catchy but not over-the-top poppy like many of these groups today.
swimmerbabe11
I don't like this song..but this is about as lesbian as Jolene by Dolly Parton.
...Also, girl crush implies that its not homosexual. If it were homosexual, it would just be a regular crush.

I feel like I heard Follow Your Arrow a lot...and I don't listen to a lot of radio.
TexasAggie_02
AG
There was a little bit of national backlash to follow your arrow. Most Texas stations played it bc she was a Texas girl.
agmatt06
AG
I thought Follow your Arrow got flack mostly b/c she talks about smoking weed on it?
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
I thought Follow your Arrow got flack mostly b/c she talks about smoking weed on it?
that too. I remember hearing a bleeped version in college station. I think it just depended on the DJ or the time of day (during the school drive vs workday)
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I don't like this song..but this is about as lesbian as Jolene by Dolly Parton.
...Also, girl crush implies that its not homosexual. If it were homosexual, it would just be a regular crush.

I feel like I heard Follow Your Arrow a lot...and I don't listen to a lot of radio.
Is "non-homosexual girl crush" really a thing?
double aught
AG
Yes, like swimmer said, that's what girl crush means. Same as man crush.
techno-ag
AG
Country is one of the few places we're not inundated with the gay agenda all the time. I think that's where the controversy stems from.
Professor Frick
AG
Which would make sense if there was some gay agenda in the song.
techno-ag
AG
I understand there's not a gay thing in the song, but the perception is there, and fans are obviously sensitive to it.
4stringAg
AG
quote:
Another example of Nashville's bro-country, I give you Brantley Gilbert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantley_Gilbert
quote:
Gilbert co-wrote Jason Aldean's singles "My Kinda Party" and "Dirt Road Anthem".
His song Bottom's Up is nails on a chalk board for me.

I see you and me riding like Bonnie and Clyde
Goin ninety five burning down one twenty nine yeah
Looking for the law, while I push my luck
She's ridin shot gun like it ain't no thing
Turn the radio up so the girl can sing right
Pull into the party like, "Y'all wassup"

Tonight is bottoms up
Throw it on down
Rock this quiet, little country town
Get up
Drop a tailgate on ya truck
Find a keg and fill ya cup up
Kick it on back
Pretty little mama lookin at ya like that
Make ya wanna slide on in like, "Girl, what's up"
Yeah tonight is bottoms up
Get em up
Tonight is bottoms up
Get em up
Damn

Girl I gotta tip my hat
Never thought a country song would make you move like that, yeah
And she's doing it in daisy dukes
Girl she's got ya tappin on a boys shoulder
Hey dog check this out
Man, it's how them girls do it in the dirty south, yeah
She'll have you on your knee, "Can I marry you?"

Throw it on down
Get up
Drop a tailgate on ya truck
Kick it on back
Get em up
Tonight is bottoms up
Get em up, get em up, get em up

Get em up

Hey y'all whatever ya sippin on,
Get it up in the air one time
Bottoms up

Let's give a toast to the good times
All y'all get your drinks up high
Everybody feelin alright
Damn right

Cause tonight it's bottoms up
Throw it on down
And get up, drop a tailgate on ya truck
Kick it on back

Tonight is bottoms up
Throw it on down
And get up, drop a tailgate on ya truck
Kick it on back
Get em up
Tonight is bottoms up
Get em up
Reading this thread I had to look to see if I made this post because this is word for word what I would have said about this clown and that "song"
dfphotos
Worse Bottoms Up....Gilbert or Nickleback?
Kate Beckett
AG
Gilbert. And that's saying something seeing how bad I hate Nickelback.
Texags is garbage
quote:
This one is even more damning than the 2013 version

http://m.hitfix.com/comedy/mash-up-proves-bro-country-is-literally-all-the-same-song-is-a-menace-that-must-stop
"That's a sweet mash-up" - 'Country Music Fans'
Philo B 93
I haven't listened to country music for 20 years. This thread made me check out the current country scene to see how bad it has become.

First, this "Brad Paisley" character and "Zac Brown" are pretty decent. I like 'em.

Otherwise, I found no country music. Only pop music. I quit listening to country in the 90s because I thought too many guys like Travis Tritt and... well I can't even remember their names... were ruining the good stuff (Waylon, George, Willie, and Hank Williams). Now Travis Tritt sounds like the king of the Grand Ol' Opry on Hee Haw night compared to the Poison/Warrant rejects out there. Is Kanye producing this stuff?
BurnetAggie99

This guy puts hope that young artist can still put out good country music even if it has a outlaw vibe. Nashville hated Waylon Jennings but Waylon kicked the doors down with his music and sound.
Redstone
AG
Ty Herndon, Billy Gilman, Chely Wright, and Kenny Chesney are the only country artists worth listening to these days.
VanZandt92
quote:

This guy puts hope that young artist can still put out good country music even if it has a outlaw vibe. Nashville hated Waylon Jennings but Waylon kicked the doors down with his music and sound.

I think they put the door back up!
VanZandt92
quote:
Country is one of the few places we're not inundated with the gay agenda all the time. I think that's where the controversy stems from.

Definitely a lot of gay agenda out there.
dfphotos
Quality troll. All of these are gay.
Macarthur
quote:
Ty Herndon, Billy Gilman, Chely Wright, and Kenny Chesney are the only country artists worth listening to these days.
Chesney?
ABattJudd
AG
Paisley's doing a lot more "poppy" stuff now. I used to be a huge fan of his, but his last two albums have soured me a bit. A lot more of the just drinking/partying stuff to get radio play.

He still has some good ones. I loved "Karate" off of the Wheelhouse album.

He used to do one full instrumental song and one hymn/gospel song on each album, but he's moved away from that.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
Chesney?
Go back and read who posted that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.