*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,511,819 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another wrinkle is that Gunn was all set to debut a new movie in person at Comic-Con tonight. Not the movie itself, but an announcement with a trailer and what not. I don't think he directed it, but did produce it, and was extremely involved. A surprise horror/thriller thing it sounds like. Regardless, there's still a big panel planned for tonight, of which Gunn has been dropped. Interested to see how that will play out...
Fenrir
TCTTS said:

I really don't understand why public figures have public twitter or instagram accounts. How much less abuse would Rian Johnson have taken for instance if he just stayed the **** away from twitter?
TCTTS
AG
TajMaballer said:

Gunn seems to understand the situation.. he will be fine if he truly has changed (which I think he has) and will be back directing non Marvel properties in the future.

Who they get to take over will be interesting. Taika is my choice, but isn't he deep in production of his own movie?
Yeah, he just started filming a couple weeks back. Say it shoots for another couple of months, he'll be doing post at least until early 2019. Definitely not enough time to prep Guardians 3, as that looks to be filming around spring 2019, with a tentative May 2020 release. Then again, that date hasn't been officially announced, so I suppose they could move it back.
TCTTS
AG
I know the answer to this (it's "No"), but for the sake of conversation, is there any way Disney outright scraps Guardians 3? It's not necessarily a story that "needs" to be told (at least based on the events as we know them to this point in the story), but I just can't see Disney turning down that guaranteed cash cow come 2020.

Further, do they stick with Gunn's script? Surely they don't do a page one rewrite at this point? But then that would mean Gunn still having his name on the movie, only as a writer, though.
TajMaballer
AG
On top of this, how does the cast react? Pratt and him were very close. Obviously they have contracts in place, but this has to be terrible for them. Does Sean Gunn leave?
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Surely you're not comparing some tweets to what Cosby did over decades and to dozens of women.

Not at all, that was in response to how people might defend someone based on something outside of the allegations.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha.
hurleyag
AG
TCTTS said:

I know the answer to this (it's "No"), but for the sake of conversation, is there any way Disney outright scraps Guardians 3? It's not necessarily a story that "needs" to be told (at least based on the events as we know them to this point in the story), but I just can't see Disney turning down that guaranteed cash cow come 2020.

Further, do they stick with Gunn's script? Surely they don't do a page one rewrite at this point? But then that would mean Gunn still having his name on the movie, only as a writer, though.
Agree that there is no way it is scrapped for the reason you stated.

I hope they don't do a rewrite because we could get a Last Jedi situation where everything that has been teased (adam warlock) doesn't get the story it was meant.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah that one tweet I posted was interesting in that regard. Pratt totally has leverage here if he wants to use it. Because he's the stand-up guy he is, I can't tell if that that makes him more or less inclined to do so.
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

With the impending re-acquisition of several big Marvel properties, maybe they do take the change to push the Guardians back a year or 2 and have them as secondary characters in other films. Guess it depends on whether Feige chooses to fast track X-Men or F4 and change up the strategy for phase 4.
PatAg
AG
DC needs to pounce on Gunn.
TCTTS
AG
If that was happening sooner, possibly. But X-Men joining the MCU is a lot farther off than people think. Yes, the deal will be complete in the next few months, but we're not seeing any of those charcters until 2022 or so, I imagine. It's going to take a really long time for the powers that be to figure out how to utilize them, integrate them, recast them, etc. and there's no way Pratt & co are going to wait around that long.
TexasAggie_02
AG
F4 has been such a charlie foxtrot, I imagine they will take their time to get it right
fig96
AG
Ugh...I hate this.

Gunn made movies that made things a little bit better, and from all accounts had acknolwedged and apologized for this past comments. It's not like Disney didn't know who they were hiring.

The "weaponize the outrage" tweets are spot on.
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

If that was happening sooner, possibly. But X-Men joining the MCU is a lot farther off than people think. Yes, the deal will be complete in the next few months, but we're not seeing any of those charcters until 2022 or so, I imagine. It's going to take a really long time for the powers that be to figure out how to utilize them, integrate them, recast them, etc. and there's no way Pratt & co are going to wait around that long.
Maybe, though I have to think there's been some folks at MCU tasked with a "what if" scenario and have already been working on possible story lines to bring in these characters, maybe even a wish list of who to cast. But, yes, 2022 is probably best case scenario.

What's interesting is that Dark Phoenix now is being held back, I don't think it's even going to have a Comic-Con trailer this week. Wonder what's going on behind the scenes with it, pertaining to MCU?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Hmmm...
FTACO97
AG
Hmmmmm indeed.....something is starting to stink here...
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, something ain't right. Disney is either using these tweets as an excuse to fire him for something else, or I could even see him being rehired, because the stink of this is not playing well publicly at all (meaning Disney is looking increasingly worse as more is uncovered).
TCTTS
AG
FTACO97 said:

TCTTS said:

Maybe, though I have to think there's been some folks at MCU tasked with a "what if" scenario and have already been working on possible story lines to bring in these characters, maybe even a wish list of who to cast. But, yes, 2022 is probably best case scenario.

What's interesting is that Dark Phoenix now is being held back, I don't think it's even going to have a Comic-Con trailer this week. Wonder what's going on behind the scenes with it, pertaining to MCU?

Dark Phoenix getting pushed back is actually just a reshoots issue. They had plenty of time to have a brief number of scenes added/reshot this summer, if not even this past spring, but because it's such a stacked cast, it was impossible to get everyone back in time because of scheduling issues. The only time they could get everyone back was this fall, hence them having to wait to do it then and pushing the release to February. At least according to the director and Fox...
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, something ain't right. Disney is either using these tweets as an excuse to fire him for something else, or I could even see him being rehired, because the stink of this is not playing well publicly at all (meaning Disney is looking increasingly worse as more is uncovered).
Yeah, Disney may be eating crow soon on this one...
Ulrich
Replying to the post you made on the previous page with all the tweets. I assume you've curated them well enough that they stand as a relatively decent indication of "what Hollywood thinks" instead of "five random nutjobs to make my point". With that in mind...

How is it that when "right wing" twitter-ers bring up stupid and offensive things someone said in an attempt to get them fired the automatic response is that they are just trolls who don't really even mind pedophilia and rape jokes? When twitter-ers from the left do the exact same thing, it's a righteous crusade to remove evil from the public eye.

I'm not specifically defending anyone, I'm just having a hard time with the idea that WHO brought something to light has any relevance on the consequences to Disney and Gunn.

Edging into political territory myself, every comedian I can think of who makes pedophilia and rape jokes is on the left anyway, so I'm not sure why the assumption is that the left hates these things but the only reason the (religious) right would object is to hurt a liberal director, assuming Gunn is liberal.

Nothing good happens after midnight on twitter.
bearamedic99
AG
Can anyone pull up the thread for Fox's Marvel content? I can't find it in search.

So Dark Phoenix is being pushed back. Any updates on New Mutants or other Fox Marvel properties?
FTACO97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hmmm...
Well, now it's time to split hairs...I went back and read the article here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-395796

This was actually about some blog posts on his website that got people upset. Didn't actually have anything to do with the twitter posts that have come to light now.....though it may have been in the same vein.....but the blog post in question was about a top list of superheros you'd want to have sex with
SeattleAgJr
well, this is the result of the SJW/Right war that has been raging for years now. SJW/libs more often than not succeed in getting someone fired over things like this, and the other side retaliates and occasionally gets a "win".

Companies just need to ignore the stuff if it is not criminal, let the whiny babies on both sides of the spectrum sound off until they get bored and move on.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, and get where you're coming from.

I haven't really looked into it yet, but from what I gather, it sounds like this is from the same weirdo who was all about Pizzagate, which, whether you're liberal or conservative, was utter nonsense. So, if true, it means that he's more than likely a sensational, not-at-all credible pundit. Gunn is a big anti-Trump guy (though not annoyingly so) - and again, I'm just going off what others are saying - but it sounds like this was essentially a vendetta against Gunn for his vocal Trump stance.

That said, I need to do more research myself...
TCTTS
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Can anyone pull up the thread for Fox's Marvel content? I can't find it in search.

So Dark Phoenix is being pushed back. Any updates on New Mutants or other Fox Marvel properties?

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2837164/last

- Dark Phoenix is February.

- New Mutants is undergoing massive reshoots and has been pushed back to August 2019.

- X-Force, aka Deadpool 3, is looking like a potential 2020 release.

Outside of those three projects, I don't think anything else is in development and likely won't be (though I could be wrong) until the Disney/Fox deal is done.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Companies just need to ignore the stuff if it is not criminal, let the whiny babies on both sides of the spectrum sound off until they get bored and move on.

Bingo. Just wait 48 hours or so for the next outrage to happen.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

bearamedic99 said:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2837164/last

- Dark Phoenix is February.

- New Mutants is undergoing massive reshoots and has been pushed back to August 2019.

- X-Force, aka Deadpool 3, is looking like a potential 2020 release.

Outside of those three projects, I don't think anything else is in development and likely won't be (though I could be wrong) until the Disney/Fox deal is done.
Gambit, the only other main property is some sort of active development, is in development hell.
TCTTS
AG
Good call. Totally forgot about Gambit, but yeah, while it's currently scheduled for June 2019, there's no way it makes that date, as it still doesn't have a new director.
Ulrich
I can't say that I've ever read one of these things and thought, "the person who brought this up seems like a reasonable adult with plenty of responsible activities to occupy his or her time", so I'm sure whoever is at the bottom of it is a loon.

That said... Gunn did what he did regardless of the flavor of loser attacking him. Disney should get the facts, then make a decision, then stick to it. "My bad, all the reasons we fired him for are true but we don't like the other guy so it's cool now" isn't a great look.

EDIT: to be clear, it seems that they decided a long time ago that everything he said was ok or at least excused for artistic reasons, so they probably never should have fired him in the first place.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.
AMW2010
AG
double aught
SeattleAgJr
AMW2010 said:

oh, snap!
PatAg
AG
It was mentioned earlier, but I personally think this is probably going to result in the next Guardians not being as good. He has such a distinct vision and style, I don't think someone can just step in and recreate it.
First Page Last Page
Page 275 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.