*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,511,815 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hadn't heard about any of this until just now.

I think once the tweets got out, Disney had to take action, otherwise the cries of hypocracy would have been crazy loud. Especially since Gunn's been so vocal with his anti-Trump takes on social media.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TCTTS said:

They're just really dumb. Not even remotely funny, yet they were meant to be. Offensive, yes, but cutting ties with him seems extreme.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. There's a line and he definitely crossed it. I'm one that usually hates it when old tweets are dug up to hurt somebody's career, but this wasn't from some immature high school kid. It may have been from six years ago, and he may be a different person now, but with today's political climate, I don't think Disney had a choice.
Quinn
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

TCTTS said:

They're just really dumb. Not even remotely funny, yet they were meant to be. Offensive, yes, but cutting ties with him seems extreme.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. There's a line and he definitely crossed it. I'm one that usually hates it when old tweets are dug up to hurt somebody's career, but this wasn't from some immature high school kid. It may have been from six years ago, and he may be a different person now, but with today's political climate, I don't think Disney had a choice.
I agree with this. The few tweets quoted in the article were pretty jacked up.
TCTTS
AG
I definitely won't argue with you there. I can understand where everyone is coming from, including Disney.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How did this suddenly surface now?

And this is getting pretty ridiculous. We're at the point where decade-old joke tweets are now a fireable offense?
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How did this suddenly surface now?

And this is getting pretty ridiculous. We're at the point where decade-old joke tweets are now a fireable offense?
It's not hard to not publicly put out offensive things. And if you do then you have to smart enough to get rid of them before someone goes looking for them.

I think very highly of Gunn's work. He comes off as great when interacting with fans, but comments, like he made in public, don't make firing him a tough choice.
TexasAggie_02
AG
tweets in question. I'm not embedding them b/c of f bombs and such

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiiVF4kXUAAJLWr. jpg

remove the space before "jpg." didn't realize that texags would auto embed. I thought it only did that on mobile
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hm. I retract my earlier statement. That's an awful lot of jokes about little boys.

Louis CK used to do that too, but he's a comedian.
The Collective
AG
Well, damn, this kind of sucks. But, we live in a fragile ass society, so what else should I expect
FTACO97
AG
How has it taken this long for these to surface? Seems weird. Though it's certainly hard to defend the guy after seeing those. Why in the world would you not delete those? Like right after you posted them.
Simplebay
AG
God fking dammit. He was working his ass off on the 3rd one too. I get it, they had too. but jesus tapdancing christ it wasn't even that bad. not funny, but my god.

His music choices, his influence is all over the movie. RIP Guardians.
rhutton125
AG
Very weird. For a bit of context though, 2012 is probably when he was already working with Disney for Guardians 1. So this isn't exactly "when I was a junior in high school" - just two movies ago.

Surprised it hadn't come up before now, really.
jackie childs
Wheatables02 said:

TCTTS said:

It's official. This is genuinely shocking news...

Well at least the series has an established theme, style, and humor. I think the next director could continue that with no issues...
can't they just let Taika do it?
FTACO97
AG
jackie childs said:

Wheatables02 said:

TCTTS said:

It's official. This is genuinely shocking news...

Well at least the series has an established theme, style, and humor. I think the next director could continue that with no issues...
can't they just let Taika do it?
He'd certainly be a good option to pick it up. It sounded like Gunn was already pretty far into developing it. Wonder if the script was already done.
AliasMan02
AG
Smartest man on social media is Pablo Hidalgo who deletes all of his tweets every so often as a matter of course. Not that he ever says anything offensive, but you never know.
TCTTS
AG
I'm pretty sure a first draft was complete and that he was doing rewrites.
jackie childs
i get that comedians like to push the envelope and be provocative and maybe that's all this was.

but i'm amazed by two things here...

1. if this is a fire-able offense to Disney, how do they not have a team of young interns scrolling through peoples' social media history prior to signing them?

2. if you're James Gunn, once you've landed GOTG, how do you not go back through your old tweets and delete anything remotely offensive? or better yet, have someone else do it since they obviously weren't offensive to Gunn.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hell yes on giving it to Taika.
TCTTS
AG
The messed up thing about this is that these tweets were public in 2012. Right around the time he was hired to do the first movie. It just seems inconsistent for him to "get" to do two movies after that point but not a third. There's a part of me that almost sees this as a falling on Disney not doing their homework. Either do your background checks before you hire him, or let him finish. I of course get the politics of it, it's a different cultural climate than even in 2012, and what he said was abhorrent, but something about this one just isn't sitting right with me.
Jim01
AG
Me neither. Maybe Disney had some creative differences with him about #3 and is using this as a convenient way to get rid of him?
TCTTS
AG

Fenrir
Disney may well have known about the tweets but was willing to take the risk at that point since it had never made waves. Once they made waves, then Disney cared.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In fact, Asgard is gone. Thor's family is dead.

Put Thor in the Guardians. Throw in Korg and Valkyrie.

Asguardians of the Galaxy

Boom!

That'll be $20 million.
TCTTS
AG
My Twitter feed is basically 100% pro Gunn. Kind of crazy. Again, I get where both sides are coming from, but it IS surprising to see the support for the person getting fired in this instance, in comparison to all the #MeToo stuff.
Fenrir
How much of your twitter feed is LA people who likely agree with Gunn's viewpoints and are willing to excuse the comments because the reason it's happening now is more or less a conservative blogger hit job?

Why is it surprising that more people would support Gunn than most of the #metoo accused? James Gunn is somebody that people know, not like people give a **** about Weinstein. Aziz had a fairly decent defense on social media that I saw. Public figures that people like are always going to get more support than powerful behind the scenes individuals.
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

My Twitter feed is basically 100% pro Gunn. Kind of crazy. Again, I get where both sides are coming from, but it IS surprising to see the support for the person getting fired in this instance, in comparison to all the #MeToo stuff.

I was about to make a similar comment. I think it shows that these assassinations (of whoever, from whatever side of the spectrum) are rarely actually about issues important to people, but about taking people down for sport and to hurt other people.
TCTTS
AG
I would agree that a good chunk of the outrage is due to the conservative hit job nature of it. Absolutely. That said, for reasons already mentioned in this thread, outside of that, this one does feel different, if only because Gunn also publicly apologized for all of this years ago. None of this was hidden or secret or is just coming out now (even though many of us had admittedly never heard about it before today).
FTACO97
AG
I seem to remember him being on of the ones trumpeting about how he was so right about Weinstein and people were finally seeing him for what he was.

Something is fishy here...If the tweets TCTTS posted are correct that this was known back then and he apologized, I can't see Disney kowtowing to some right wing blogger.
TCTTS
AG
israeliag
AG
People liked Bill Cosby
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

"My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don't reflect the person I am today or have been for some time."

"Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all."
TCTTS
AG
Surely you're not comparing some tweets to what Cosby did over decades and to dozens of women.
TCTTS
AG
Fenrir
And people defended Cosby for a very long time.
TajMaballer
AG
Gunn seems to understand the situation.. he will be fine if he truly has changed (which I think he has) and will be back directing non Marvel properties in the future.

Who they get to take over will be interesting. Taika is my choice, but isn't he deep in production of his own movie?
First Page Last Page
Page 274 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.