Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,387 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Wow...
Ulrich
... so Boba Fett was a henpecked accountant who, at 54 years of age, gave up on ever getting that promotion to supervisor?
double aught
AG
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Me?

It's a good defense?
It is.

But these things didn't really happen that much before the internet. We didn't sit around wasting time over analyzing the F out of everything. Further, we didn't have months, even years, of buildup making nothing burger characters seem overly important then turn out to be let downs. So now we over analyze the F out of everything before it even hits the screen and over analyze the F out of everything when we see it and for years afterwards.
This. Everybody fancies themselves a screenwriter now, and it gets old.
Fenrir
Rian sounds like a 13 year old **** head in that exchange.
AliasMan02
AG
Fenrir said:

Rian sounds like a 13 year old **** head in that exchange.

Mark is far more childish but people love it. Granted he has way more cred and cache with the fanbase, but I think it's funny the different standards we hold.
Fenrir
I'm not going to argue that point. Mark definitely has more cred with fans and maybe that plays into my perception of his interactions with fans, but what I have seen of mark comes across more light hearted. I also don't follow anybody on Twitter really so I only see what people tend to post on here which is not necessarily going to be fair representation.
AliasMan02
AG
Fenrir said:

I'm not going to argue that point. Mark definitely has more cred with fans and maybe that plays into my perception of his interactions with fans, but what I have seen of mark comes across more light hearted. I also don't follow anybody on Twitter really so I only see what people tend to post on here which is not necessarily going to be fair representation.

IMO, he's too concerned with being "right." He usually is, and most of the fervent complaints about the movie as being blasphemous or gross mischaracterizations are things that he pulled right from the existing canon or some of the strongest and most loved portions of the EU (especially Dark Empire). BUT, just because he's right doesn't mean he should stoop to arguing about it on Twitter.
Render
AG
Imo the outrage over Snoke had to do with the story context. At the end of ROTJ the Empire was in disarray and Yoda/Ben implied Luke was the only powerful Force-user left in the galaxy. So it didn't make sense for some guy to learn the Dark Side as good as Palpy did, and increase the Imperial Remnant's military so much so that it dominated the New Republic's military.

All that would have had to have happened under Luke's/New Republic's nose, which is very unlikely. But if that is what happened, they should've given that backstory in 8, and not in the last movie (if they even do).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019/05/john-williams-liked-early-cut-of-the-rise-of-skywalker-very-much-already-wrote-25-minutes-of-the-films-score.html
Render
AG
They should've just adapted the Thrawn Trilogy and avoided all this drama. Then make a Yuuzhan Vong trilogy to cap off the franchise. Maybe make Old Republic movies after that. Oh well. :/
Render
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2019/05/john-williams-liked-early-cut-of-the-rise-of-skywalker-very-much-already-wrote-25-minutes-of-the-films-score.html

His music is the soul of SW. Binary Sunset is still the best ever, imo.
Render
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

In that same vein, the sound design is also what makes SW so great. It's long, but this commentary by the guy who made all the sounds is fantastic.

amercer
AG
The EU was one of the great virtues of Star Wars fandom, but also it's biggest vice. For 30 years it's all there was, and it ranged from great to terrible but it also kind of built this expectation amongst fans that everything in this universe had a backstory, that everything had a logical place.

Lucas was a visionary film maker, but Star Wars was a awesome space western not meticulously planned out fantasy universe. Lucas was never Tolkien.

Snoke is a bad guy who mistakenly thinks he's the baddest dude on the block, when in reality his role in the drama is to create the real bad guy. He's basically Jack Palance in the first Batman movie. I don't need a Snoke origin story. What I need is 30 minutes of young Luke doing cool Jedi **** and ****ing up bad guys while he searches the galaxy for Jedi/Sith relics. That's really where they missed the boat in this story. Fans waited 40 years to see more Luke Skywalker Badass Jedi, and they skipped all that and went directly to salty hermit yoda Luke Skywalker.
YouBet
AG
I guess I will continue to not understand Twitter and context on that platform because I have no idea what the hell is happening on the Rian Johnson twitter on the previous page. I swear to god it's like trying to read Chinese half the time.
AliasMan02
AG
amercer said:

That's really where they missed the boat in this story. Fans waited 40 years to see more Luke Skywalker Badass Jedi, and they skipped all that and went directly to salty hermit yoda Luke Skywalker.

I still think it's so weird that Rian gets burdened with this, when it was all JJ's doing.
amercer
AG
I think lots of people share blame in not recognizing (a) that's what the fans really wanted and (b) that it would have worked in any story context they came up with.

I mean the story group, JJ, and everyone else decided that Han, Leia, Chewy would reprise their roles, but the main character (and the actor who sort of embodies Star Wars fandom) would be a bit player?

I know Disney has the budget and CGI magic to give us 30 year old master Jedi Luke. They even wrote the story to say he was hunting relics across the galaxy. Why not put it on screen? Replace Canto Bright with 30 minutes of Luke training Rey while flashing back to cool Jedi ****, and TLJ becomes everyone's favorite Star Wars movie.
TCTTS
AG
I've said this a dozen times already, but it was George Lucas himself who came up with the Luke-as-a-hermit idea. Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson, etc were all just honoring that. Granted, they could have tossed that conceit aside as they did many of Lucas' ideas for the sequel trilogy, but it was Lucas who planted that seed.
TCTTS
AG
If they were starting the sequel trilogy now this MIGHT be a viable option. But in 2013, the tech just wasn't there to pull that off. We're only now seeing them able to truly achieve this whole older-actor-plays-younger-version-of-himself thing, but it's still spotty.
amercer
AG
I don't even mind hermit Luke as an endpoint, but they should have done a lot more of the backstory on how he got there. The Kylo backstory was important, but they missed out on both the opportunity to do some world building and to show everyone's favorite Jedi doing the cool stuff we all imagine he did post RoTJ

And if the CGI is just now ready, then for ****s sake give us a stand alone middle age Luke movie
double aught
AG
Render said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

His music is the soul of SW. Binary Sunset is still the best ever, imo.
And that's one of the best scenes in the movies, in large part due to the music I'm sure.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

I've said this a dozen times already, but it was George Lucas himself who came up with the Luke-as-a-hermit idea. Kennedy, Abrams, Johnson, etc were all just honoring that. Granted, they could have tossed that conceit aside as they did many of Lucas' ideas for the sequel trilogy, but it was Lucas who planted that seed.

Hermit Luke Skywalker makes a lot of sense in terms of what Mark Hamill can do as an actor today. That being said they should have delayed these movies for a year or two and worked out the story for 7-9 and then make that. It basically sounds like they found their footing in nine but it is already too late.

To be perfectly honest, the mistake they made was having Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie in these movies. I am pretty convinced there is no way for them to tell a new story with these characters that wasn't going to be problematic. How do kill off the original cast in a way that is meaningful and doesn't come off as cheap?

But as someone stated above Snoke basically made Luke, Leia, Han seem like clowns. What exactly did they do to stop Snoke?
chilidogfood
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

TCTTS said:

Hermit Luke Skywalker makes a lot of sense in terms of what Mark Hamill can do as an actor today. That being said they should have delayed these movies for a year or two and worked out the story for 7-9 and then make that. It basically sounds like they found their footing in nine but it is already too late.

To be perfectly honest, the mistake they made was having Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie in these movies. I am pretty convinced there is no way for them to tell a new story with these characters that wasn't going to be problematic. How do kill off the original cast in a way that is meaningful and doesn't come off as cheap?

But as someone stated above Snoke basically made Luke, Leia, Han seem like clowns. What exactly did they do to stop Snoke?

You say that, but old man Hamill can sure do a lot more acting than Carrie Fisher atm, yet she's still active in the story and he's not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Updated OP with those new dates.

Untitled Beinoff & Weiss Film 1 - December 16, 2022

Untitled Beinoff & Weiss Film 2 - December 20, 2024

Untitled Beinoff & Weiss Film 3 - December 18, 2026

I think this is perfect. A nice 3 year hiatus to get a bit of a breather from the franchise and get a little of that excitement going again for a new SW movie, and then it's back to that same trilogy pattern for Christmas 22, 24, 26.

I really enjoy having Star Wars in the holidays. Glad Lucasfilm has made it the standard going forward.
https://deadline.com/2019/05/star-wars-game-of-thrones-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-bob-iger-1202614731/

Confirmation. (At least of Film 1.)
TCTTS
AG
Ha, Iger literally could not have picked a worse week to confirm this, but good to know nonetheless.

(for the record, I think they'll do fine, I'm simply commenting on the timing)
The Collective
AG
Quote:

Iger also said another Star Wars streaming series would hit the Disney+ streaming service, joining The Mandalorian and an untitled prequel to Rogue One, before the 2022 release of the Benioff/Weiss feature. At the film studio, there are now half a dozen Star Wars films in various stages of development, the CEO said.

Render
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

TCTTS said:

They should've killed Han and Leia both in 7; Harrison wanted out and Fisher isn't a great actor:

The New Republic builds a controversial weapon using Imperial superweapon tech to finally end the war with the First Order. (Like the bomb did in WWII.) The pro-weapon side of the New Republic is led by Imperial officer defectors, and the anti-weapon side is led by Leia.

Leia is debating the use of it with former Imperial officers at the construction site, when the First Order does a daring raid to capture the weapon. Leia leads an evacuation, and saves countless others by directing efforts. The First Order then uses the weapon to destroy the ship or base Leia is in.

Han then leads an effort to stop the FO. He dies the same way by trying to save Kylo. Then Luke dies in 8 or 9 by sacrificing himself against Snoke or Kylo so Rey & Co. can live, like what Ben did in IV.
The Collective
AG
Damn, I thought the SW threads after a movie release were bad. I finally caught up on GOT and tried to skim that thread, holy **** - what a depressing mess.
TCTTS
AG
Render
AG
Don't worry. The REEEE will be quite operational around here once Episode IX arrives.
TCTTS
AG

https://io9.gizmodo.com/hear-george-lucas-first-screening-of-star-wars-as-recre-1834728303
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Awesome, definitely checking this out.

https://open.spotify.com/show/6nhQUF8rDmBaRjbZp9zgzv?si=dR5P1BUgSdyjbFKOyniqPA
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Render said:

Imo the outrage over Snoke had to do with the story context. At the end of ROTJ the Empire was in disarray and Yoda/Ben implied Luke was the only powerful Force-user left in the galaxy. So it didn't make sense for some guy to learn the Dark Side as good as Palpy did, and increase the Imperial Remnant's military so much so that it dominated the New Republic's military.

All that would have had to have happened under Luke's/New Republic's nose, which is very unlikely. But if that is what happened, they should've given that backstory in 8, and not in the last movie (if they even do).
In the books and comics several things are explained.
1) The Empire has an end-game strategy where they look like they're making a last stand at Jakku, but really send a lot of their best and brightest to Wild Space to regroup and transform into the First Order with children stolen and raised to be the new gen stormtroopers and officers.
2) The New Republic voluntarily drops its military buildup by 90% after the defeat of the Empire to assure the galaxy that it's not replacing one Empire with another. That's why the First Order is able to have military superiority so quickly.
3) Snoke was a being living in Wild Space. The TLJ novel gives some hints about him being able to get the FO what they needed in terms of resources and allies early on, then pushed himself up the ladder to Supreme Leader. Sounds like the FO then turned on those allies for target practice.
4) Snoke had nowhere near Palpatine's powers. If he had, he would have lasted longer than Episode 2, Act 2.
5) Ben Solo learns from a leaked news story that Anakin/Vader was his grandfather instead of from his own family, and does it while touring the galaxy looking for artifacts with Luke. Snoke used that crack between Ben and his family to start luring him, although how is unknown.
wangus12
AG
Beware

AliasMan02
AG
I'm more convinced than ever that Twitter has made the world a markedly worse place.
wangus12
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I'm more convinced than ever that Twitter has made the world a markedly worse place.
Agreed.
First Page Last Page
Page 824 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.