Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,940 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty cool.

Makes me wonder, do you guys think Lucasfilm will ever remake the original trilogy? Say, in 15-20 years or so? Does Star Wars eventually reach a point of diminished returns, they take a while off, and then reboot the whole thing for a new generation? Maybe even start with remakes of the prequels and go from there? It's going to be interesting to see how the franchise fares without the Skywalkers. Personally, I think it'll do just fine, but I could see them reaching a point, years and years from now, where it makes financial sense to go back and remake the Skywalker saga from scratch.

Remaking the prequels makes more sense. Would essentially be a reboot, telling better versions of the fall of the Republic and the Clone Wars. At that point, they could read the room on a classic trilogy remake.

Oh, and... Hamill as the Emperor? Hmm?
Render
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty cool.

Makes me wonder, do you guys think Lucasfilm will ever remake the original trilogy? Say, in 15-20 years or so? Does Star Wars eventually reach a point of diminished returns, they take a while off, and then reboot the whole thing for a new generation? Maybe even start with remakes of the prequels and go from there? It's going to be interesting to see how the franchise fares without the Skywalkers. Personally, I think it'll do just fine, but I could see them reaching a point, years and years from now, where it makes financial sense to go back and remake the Skywalker saga from scratch.
Hey great idea. They should also remake the Sistine Chapel to increase attendance numbers.
Ulrich
42 years after star wars premiered, we're looking at 3 original movies, 5 prequels, and 3 mediocre sequels. That's a disappointing use of the source material and world building.

I sure hope the next 20 years yields something more exciting than 3 remakes of prequels and whatever Benioff and Weiss do.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ulrich said:

42 years after star wars premiered, we're looking at 3 original movies, 5 prequels, and 3 mediocre sequels. That's a disappointing use of the source material and world building.

I sure hope the next 20 years yields something more exciting than 3 remakes of prequels and whatever Benioff and Weiss do.
I neither understand nor accept your math.
TXAG 05
AG
3 originals-original trilogy
5 prequels- prequel trilogy and R1 and Solo
3 sequels-new trilogy
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I like that. Majestic and sweeping like a lot of his Star Wars work without being obviously Star Wars.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Will be really inspiring listening to this while waiting in line for 45 minutes for a blue milk behind 27 people who are all using electric scooters to move around the park based on their disability of "I don't like walking"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're just an old crank all the time now, huh?
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hearing that really makes me want to go!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Hearing that really makes me want to go!
My family will be there Thanksgiving week. This trip was planned to coincide with Star Wars Land opening at Disney World. Can't wait.
twilly
AG
PHOTOS: D23 Reveals The Insane Details of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

For more photos follow the link above.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
twilly said:

PHOTOS: D23 Reveals The Insane Details of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

For more photos follow the link above.
Impressive. Most impressive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hah.

https://instagr.am/p/BxQhG5CFB4s
TCTTS
AG
Render
AG
Force users have Force shields around them. It blocks little stuff like that. It's also why you can't Force Pull the lightsaber out of the other guy's hand.
Render
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty cool.

Serious pitch: Instead of rebooting in 20 years, they should make plotless, 20 minute long action scenes. People loved the action in Rogue One, so just make action sequences like that and put it in theaters. Parents would like it, because they wouldn't have to sit through a 2 hour movie. And moviegoers would like it, because it's what they want distilled down.

They could also do crossovers, like Aliens vs Stormtroopers on a Star Destroyer. I seriously believe this would be a successful model if Disney did it. People upload action scenes to YouTube and they have millions of views, so do the same in theaters.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Aliens vs Stormtroopers on a Star Destroyer
We already saw a version of that story - it was called Aliens. Came out in July 1986. Good sequel to another movie, that one called Alien, released May 1979, that dropped the plural and the storm troopers.
Render
AG
This would be 20 years from now, when they're desperate for profit. Instead of rebooting, just give people the action they want.

Quote:

Darth ****ing Vader!: holy balls! I can't believe the hallway scene was a last minute thought. I was losing it during this scene. This was really the first time we saw Vader go ape **** on the rebellion......sure he had scenes showing how evil he was before, but those really consisted of 1v1 with another Jedi or just force choking some dude.......THIS!?.....**** your blasters and I don't care how many of you there are I'm Darth ****ing Vader and I'm going to ruin your ***** He cuts a dude in half! So cool!

- jokershady, Rogue One Rewatch Project thread
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now that Endgame has fallen short of TFA's domestic record, starting to wonder what, if anything, can beat that record in the foreseeable future? I just can't picture any movie drumming up the amount of hype SW or Marvel can muster.

And as much as I love Avatar, Avatar 2 is not breaking that record.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.

Honestly, I think it's at least another fifteen years before we see Endgame's opening weekend record fall. It will take a level of hype and build-up that only a long-running franchise can match, and there's just nothing in the next few years or so coming for the build up to even begin, that will be able to unseat it.

That said, I can potentially see the domestic record falling sooner. Because, technically, that record doesn't need pre-release hype to be broken. It's not likely - but it is feasible - that some kind of "surprise," Titanic-esque blockbuster can come along one December, speak to the zeitgeist in some perfect way, and then, based on word of mouth, stay at number one through February or so. Again, though, that would obviously take lightning in a bottle, but it's not completely out of the question.

Other than a surprise, earth-shattering hit like that, if, if, if, if, if Episode IX is somehow the greatest Star Wars movie ever, I think it's the only franchise movie for the foreseeable future (the next decade or so) that even remotely has a chance. Otherwise, yeah, Avatar 2 isn't going to take the record, and the only other worthy franchises I can think of would be Batman and Fast & Furious, and I don't see either one of those doing it. Otherwise, Universal has botched the Jurassic Park/World franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean is dead, Transformers ran its course, and Fantastic Beats hasn't come close to matching Harry Potter's success.

So, yeah, if not a surprise, monster hit, I say it's...

A) Episode IX (which has maybe a 15% chance, if that)

B) the third entry in a future, somehow-universaly-adored Star Wars franchise, which would be 2026 at the earliest.

C) a new Marvel team-up of some sort, even though you can already start to feel the air coming out of the tires just a bit in the wake of Endgame.

In other words, if I had to bet, barring some surprise hit, yeah, nothing takes the domestic record down until sometime in the 2030s, and it'll be something we can't even think of yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tangentially SW related. Just wanted to post somewhere.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dave94
AG
That looks so freaking amazing
The Collective
AG
Just a thought, maybe Lucasfilm needs to reconsider having Benioff & Weiss make Star Wars movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh god, just realized people will be calling for their heads louder than Rian Johnson's now.

Ugh.
The Collective
AG
And, what do you think of Rian's defense here?

redline248
AG
No, f that guy, still.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Me?

It's a good defense?
Belton Ag
AG
Oops, wrong thread.
The Collective
AG
No doubt. I don't disagree. I think some of it is we are holding movie directors to the standard of what we get on TV (back story, slow burn / dynamic characters, etc).
twilly
AG
Here's the rub...

When Palpatine was thrown over the side, nobody cared or thought about his backstory of whether he had enough screen time to fully develop. Only after years of repeated watchings, hundreds of books, comics, and endless adventures with action figures did a backstory develop.

Then the prequels came out and gave us even more information. There was literally encyclopedias of backstories created about the Emperor. All that information was then hind sighted back to his character in the OT.

To have the expectation that Snoke could even get 1/100th of the development that Palpatine had is insane.

Also, before he was tossed aside in ROTJ, how many people actually knew the Emperor's last name?

Rian Johnson is still a smarmy ass though.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Me?

It's a good defense?
It is.

But these things didn't really happen that much before the internet. We didn't sit around wasting time over analyzing the F out of everything. Further, we didn't have months, even years, of buildup making nothing burger characters seem overly important then turn out to be let downs. So now we over analyze the F out of everything before it even hits the screen and over analyze the F out of everything when we see it and for years afterwards.
twilly
AG
twilly said:

Also, before he was tossed aside in ROTJ, how many people actually knew the Emperor's last name?
I should point out that Emperor's name was listed in the original movie novelization. So it was there all along, just never movie spoken until the prequels.
First Page Last Page
Page 823 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.