Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,396 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanna do some adventures of Luke, Leia, and Han as part of the next slate of films starting in about 2025? Here's something to noodle over: the age difference between Alden Ehrenreich and Millie Bobby Brown (a popular internet choice for a younger Leia) is the same as between Ford and Fisher. I feel like casting a younger Luke would be the easiest of the three.

They'll eventually go there. I wish Carrie we're on the record somewhere saying that she wanted to see more younger Leia adventures, as I think that would help push the idea with fans.
YouBet
AG
At this point, I don't consider OT and NT to be connected and I've made peace with that. After watching TFA and TLJ, I don't even consider it canon in my own head. I know that sounds dumb since it is the conclusion of the original character arcs, but it has been such a cluster f' of a series I think of the NT more as fan fiction gone awry. TFA and TLJ are not even logically connected and they are in the same trilogy so how am I expected to connect it back to the OT?

I will still be watching IX of course and if JJ somehow is able to tie this all together and conclude it well then I will be impressed.

But, going forward, I'm just going to take these movies one by one and enjoy them in a compartminialized way.
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I wouldn't have an issue but it was clear that Disney did not want to do that. The original cast was vitally important for the sequel trilogy.

Also, casting young Han has led to the same sort of incessant complaining that plagues episodes 7 and 8 already, so that doesn't exactly solve the problem.

First, I don't think they've been "vitally important" other than to show them in trailers and get suckers like me to pay and go see them. In fact, their complete lack of importance is a major complaint most hace with these films.

Second, there hasn't been much complaining about recasting Han, nothing compared to the gripes about TLJ. In fact, I think most like the Solo movie that went to see it and think the new guy did a good job. Just nobody wants to see the movie right now because of TLJ backlash.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Luke is literally what the entire story has revolved around thus far.
AliasMan02
AG
Vitally important to Disney.
Ag Since 83
AG
There's a big difference between casting a new actor for a side film and casting new actors for the saga trilogy. If they had announced in 2012 they were making Episodes VII-IX about Luke, Leia, and Han with the original actors still alive but they weren't using them, there would have been people upset.

Plus, it would have kept them from introducing new characters and making them the focus. Whether or not you like the new films, that idea made a lot of sense and still does, to have each trilogy focus on a different generation.
Render
AG
True, they would have problems with age, but that's one of those suspensions of disbeliefs that I'd be okay with. I'd be okay with it, because the quality of the stories are so great. The crux of my point was that they should apply EU plots to the new generation. This wouldn't be difficult to do.

Example story synthesis: Have Thrawn appear in the galaxy in TFA, and have him rally the Imperial Remnant/First Order. He's charismatic, so he rallies systems still feeling loyal to the Empire. This would allow the filmmakers to explore pro-Empire points of view, something new to SW films. As for his age, just have Chiss live a long time. As to where he was, he was in the Unknown Regions trying to find and destroy the Yuuzhan Vong, but the fleet and frontier bases he was given were all destroyed. As to his motivation, have Thrawn be like Thanos; Thrawn has the burden of knowledge about what's coming. For added fun, mix in some Shadows story points: Instead of Xizor hunting Luke, have him hunt Rey. Have Xizor wanting to appease Thrawn or Snoke, instead of Palpatine.

Structurally, the Heir to the Empire-arc comprises the first three movies. The next trilogy deals with the galaxy fighting the Yuuzhan Vong. In the Yuuzhan Vong trilogy, have Rey learn the Dark Side like Luke does in Dark Empire, because she's desperate to stop the menace. That would add interesting character development. Then have the Yuuzhan Vong leader be Darth Revan, because why the hell not? If Disney would just mix and match stories, they could make some amazing films.

In regards to Dark Empire, I'd argue that it's much different than TLJ. For example, I didn't like the Luke-Kylo tent scene at all, but I really liked DE. Upon reflection, I think this is because DE was a character's slow descent, via misjudgment and desperation, into a darkness that almost overcame him. In short, Luke had gradual, believable, character development: "I found knowledge there... All the dark things father knew so well... The ability to control others... To destroy others, if I so choose. Ben warned me... Yoda warned me... "Once you start down that dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..." But I had to do it Leia. I had to know my father... I had to know why he chose the Dark Side."

To me, that's much better motivation than: "Jedi make mistakes. Mistakes am bad. Jedi must die now. Kylo think bad thoughts. Bad thoughts am bad. Him must die now. Oh wait, me change mind because me read movie's script." If they had built it up more, it wouldn't have been the character development whiplash that it was.
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG

redline248
AG
Meh. Will he be unceremoniously killed so a new female character can have screen time?
Urban Ag
AG
I like it but it is so predictable. No Lando in TFA or TLJ but now that Johnson decided to kill off all but about a dozen of the resistance and literally painted JJ in to a corner, Lando is coming back.

If I recall, several posters, myself included, quasi predicted months ago that Lando would be some money guy to help fund the new, new Resistance. Meh.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There is literally no winning for Disney.
Flashdiaz
AG
Urban Ag said:

I like it but it is so predictable. No Lando in TFA or TLJ but now that Johnson decided to kill off all but about a dozen of the resistance and literally painted JJ in to a corner, Lando is coming back.

If I recall, several posters, myself included, quasi predicted months ago that Lando would be some money guy to help fund the new, new Resistance. Meh.
it's a logical step for Abram's to take... embrace it and hope he delivers according to logical progression of a story and doesn't Rian Johnson it and do something unpredictable for the sake of being unpredictable that doesn't make sense.
AliasMan02
AG
I'd bet he is there in a minor role. Agree that him pitching in resources to the Resistance is a good bet.
MGS
The movie ends with Chewie retiring and selling the Falcon back to Lando.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Don't worry Spilner I'll keep handing my money to that poor little mouse
Urban Ag
AG
MGS said:

The movie ends with Chewie retiring and selling the Falcon back to Lando.
Actually, this could be an epic ending to this epic nine part series.

Lando: So Chewie, you were there, you know how Han, rest his soul, swindled the Falcon from me. Considering all I have done for your friends, the Rebellion, and the Resistance, what do you say you let ol Lando have the Falcon back. She really does belong with me....

Chewie: GRRRRRAAAAAWWWWWW/bears teeth

Lando: Alright, alright/cowers

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Maybe it's been addressed: Why does Rey get the Falcon, and not Chewie? Did Han have a will?

Another point that Rey has to be "somebody" with all the imagery & foreshadowing laid out by JJ in TFA... and another reason Rian is a tool for playing "gotcha" with all the groundwork.
AliasMan02
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Maybe it's been addressed: Why does Rey get the Falcon, and not Chewie? Did Han have a will?

Another point that Rey has to be "somebody" with all the imagery & foreshadowing laid out by JJ in TFA... and another reason Rian is a tool for playing "gotcha" with all the groundwork.

In the novelization, Chewie just indicates to Rey that she should fly.

I think taking her piloting the falcon to be an indication of her parentage or history is a bit of a stretch.

JJ has said she's a nobody. Daisy indicated her parentage was "obvious" when she found out. It's really the only explanation that fits all the pieces.
Ag Since 83
AG
It's not exactly clear who "owns" the Falcon now. Han had basically offered her a spot on the crew, so now she and Chewie are the crew. Wouldn't surprise me if he owned it, she owned it, or a shared ownership.

Of course it's currently the Resistance flagship essentially so maybe Leia owns it until she dies?
Flashdiaz
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

It's not exactly clear who "owns" the Falcon now. Han had basically offered her a spot on the crew, so now she and Chewie are the crew. Wouldn't surprise me if he owned it, she owned it, or a shared ownership.

Of course it's currently the Resistance flagship essentially so maybe Leia owns it until she dies?
Maybe Han 'lost' it while they were separated before the divorce so she wouldn't get it as part of the divorce.
bangobango
AG
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Don't worry Spilner I'll keep handing my money to that poor little mouse
He shills for them so hard. It's crazy.
TXAG 05
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Most likely because Rian just wanted to show that women can fly just as well as men.
hurleyag
AG
How do we know Rey "owns" it? There is nothing indicating it isn't Chewie's.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty sure you have doubled my post count in this thread post-TLJ.
twilly
AG
I mean I'm not up to speed on Galactic probate laws, but wouldn't the Falcon be Leia's upon Han's death unless specifically listed elsewhere? This assumes a legal and proper marriage of course.

No I'm not a lawyer, and no I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Sex Panther
AG
twilly said:

I mean I'm not up to speed on Galactic probate laws, but wouldn't the Falcon be Leia's upon Han's death unless specifically listed elsewhere? This assumes a legal and proper marriage of course.

No I'm not a lawyer, and no I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I really hope Episode 9 opens in Galactic Mediation with Kylo arguing for ownership over Rey
jabberwalkie09
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Most likely because Rian just wanted to show that women can fly just as well as men.

This, would not surprise me to be true.
Hagen95
AG
We've seen how the First Order mediates is concerns.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, what are some of your legit Episode IX predictions?

I'd go with...

- The above. Lando recovered Luke's lightsaber on Cloud City, gave it to Maz. (Abrams finally gets to tie up that loose end he so sloppily introduced in TFA.)

- Lando gets the Falcon back in the end. (I love that, good call.)

- Lando provides some kind financial or military support to the Resistance. (Another good one.)

- The movie opens with Leia's funeral.

- The Knights of Ren are finally involved, but not nearly as much as we'd like them to be. They're in it less than Maul was in TPM.

- Kylo dies, but does something noble just before his death, ala Vader in ROTJ.

- Rey and Poe become romantically involved.

- Rey ends up running some kind of new-wave Jedi Academy.

- Keri Russell either plays a villain or a hero at odds with Rey. Russell's scenes are rumored to be action heavy, and whichever way they play it, I think Rey will have some kind of female challenger, be it from the Dark Side or someone who challenges her in terms of being a hero.

- Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon have at least a line of dialogue each as Force Ghosts, are heard if not seen.

- Luke is also heard as a Force Ghost, but not in any prominent fashion (i.e. he doesn't "mentor" Rey from the dead). Hamill only has one visible appearance as a Force Ghost, toward the end.

- I have absolutely no idea what Finn does, and honestly don't care at this point.
Render
AG
As he consolidates his rule over the FO, Kylo uncovers details about Snoke's background.

Kylo gets a new super-weapon that was secretly being built by Snoke. They can't do another Death Star, so I say they go with the Galaxy Gun. This will allow space action scenes of the Falcon and Poe's X-Wing trying to stop the missiles.

The Knights of Ren become the new red guards. Or they become a council that advises Kylo. They will defer to Kylo in some way.

Phasma will have survived TLJ. She will have new armor. Finn will fight her again.

Kylo will go full a**hole Dark side user. No redemption for him.

The Resistance and the FO will have a big space battle over a planet. We haven't gotten one of those yet. Rey will use Kylo's new super-weapon to obliterate the FO's forces, negating their numerical advantage. The Resistance will then defeat the FO.

The movie ends essentially the same way ROTJ ended, only it's 30 years after ROTJ... A small group of heroes defeat a galaxy-spanning tyrannical government. The definition of originality.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

- Lando gets the Falcon back in the end. (I love that, good call.)
There is only one person who deserves the Falcon and it is Chewie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty much where I am on all of those, with one exception.

Quote:

- The movie opens with Leia's funeral.
I think there's be a significant time jump, even beyond Leia's death.
YellowPot_97
AG
**** Rian Johnson for what he's done to the franchise and the idiotic spelling of his name.
First Page Last Page
Page 744 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.