Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,925 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Malachi Constant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anakin Skywalker force ghost
Ag Since 83
AG
1. Rey, Finn, and Poe actually working together

2. Rey killing Kyle Ren
bangobango
AG
Remember when I posted a video of this guy saying no criticism of the Last Jedi was valid, and remember when posters said that he wasn't being literal?

Yeah, about that....

TCTTS
AG
I'll take the bait, since I'm one of those "posters" you're referring to. I read that entire article linked to in the tweet, waiting for some silver bullet in reference to Johnson's no-valid-criticism comment, and I honestly cannot figure out how the two are even related. What connection are you trying (and failing) to make here?

But more importantly... Why do you keep drudging this sh*t up??? We had a good/funny thing going with Lando/Falcon talk, I purposely tried to keep the thread swinging in that direction with some Episode IX predictions, but then you swept back in with this tired, divisive sh*t no one wants to rehash anymore. I realize that I've been just as guilty in the past in stoking those flames, but read the room, man. People are so ******* sick of talking about Rian Johnson and TLJ, and yet you keep going back to that well and continue to be an all around insufferable, impossibly persistent dolt when it comes to that sh*t.

The Ahmed Best suicide talk/revelations last week almost made me want to quit discussing Star Wars for good. That was incredibly depressing, eye-opening, and the icing on the cake with all the Rose/Johnson/TLJ talk the past few months. At this point, I'm so damn tired of pointing fingers and being associated in any way with all the toxicity out there. So can we PLEASE do our best to at least try and make this a relatively positive corner of the internet when it comes to Star Wars discussion from here on out? There will no doubt be certain things that we'll continue to gripe about and things that will still piss some us off. That's fine. But I just can't take any more negative Rian Johnson/TLJ talk. It's over. It's done. Everyone here has said everything that can possibly be said on the subject. We all know where each and every one of us stands.

And I realize that Johnson is in charge of a whole other trilogy that sounds like it's coming sooner rather than later, so it's impossible to avoid talking about him altogether. But until then, we have Episode IX, the Benioff & Weiss series, the Favreau TV series, and myriad expanded universe books, comics, etc to discuss, along with the same old OT/PT convos I would gladly welcome with open arms over any more posts about Rian ******* Johnson in relationship to TLJ or fandom in general.
AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

Remember when I posted a video of this guy saying no criticism of the Last Jedi was valid, and remember when posters said that he wasn't being literal?

Yeah, about that....

Gamergate as the model for online crusades has been in heavy discussion in the geek world for the last week. There's a lot of that same behavior going on in the Star Wars fandom... the digital assassination of "outsiders" to Star Wars like women, POC, etc. That's what he is referencing. I think you're projecting your weirdly fixated hatred of the man on this tweet.
Belton Ag
AG
Soooo... Lando's back, huh?
Flashdiaz
AG
If Ani were here, he'd do this to mean internet fanboys...

Urban Ag
AG
Ok I am up for some positive SW talk. Mucho positivity.

I have come to the conclusion that Rogue One is officially a masterpiece. I literally can not get tired of this film and I notice new things each time.

My point? Whether you like, dislike, or don't care about the new trilogy, there is a lot of be excited for as a Star Wars fan. The new material, even if linked to earlier films, has been fantastic so far (yes, Solo was great fun as well).

So maybe that is the point. No one is going to continue the story line of the OT and make everyone happy, something Lucas found out the hard way as well. Enjoy it for what it is and look forward to more movies set in the SW Universe. Makes this kid of the 80's happy thinking about it.
Urban Ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

Soooo... Lando's back, huh?
wish I had laugh/cry emoji

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Here's what I would like to see them use Lando for in IX: Supreme Leader Kylo Ren is obsessed with finding the remaining members of the resistance, so he's got patrols investigating every reported sighting of a YT-1300 freighter, and he personally goes to Cloud City or wherever to torture and interrogate Uncle Lando to try and find out where they are.

Then later in the movie Lando can actually help the Resistance fight the decisive battle or whatever.
TCTTS
AG
I could see something along those lines. I like the idea of Kylo seeking him out as opposed to Lando showing up out of the blue. Could be a cool way to do it.

I also saw someone on Twitter predict that if the movie opens with Leia's funeral, Lando could simply show up for that. My added spin would be that there's then some sort of emergency or attack either during or just after the funeral that Lando gets swept up in.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Pretty much where I am on all of those, with one exception.

Quote:

- The movie opens with Leia's funeral.
I think there's be a significant time jump, even beyond Leia's death.

Why can't there still be a significant time jump AND open with Leia's funeral? She seemed well enough at the end of TLJ, so I'm thinking whatever she dies from is a separate thing regardless. The more I've thought about it, the more cheap it feels to just mention her death in the opening crawl and that be it. Besides, wasn't TLJ at some point supposed to open with Han's funeral? I feel like that basic idea is something that the powers that be might be clinging to. But who knows. Your guess is as good as mine.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I like my idea from 20 pages ago... significant time jump; opening scrawl; pan down to Falcon landing on an asteroid; Poe, Rey, Chewie, etc. giving a tribute / funeral to Leia; panout to show the Asteroid field is the ruins of Alderaan...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If there is a funeral, Kylo will show up and murder people, guaranteed
TCTTS
AG
I dig that.
Dro07
AG
Maybe they can say she died of a broken heart like her mom...

But no seriously it would suck if they opening crawl her death when they had a chance to "fix it" in TLJ
Grimey
I think it will be very interesting how they approach the beginning of IX. Most of the Star Wars films start with the main characters spread apart who then coalesce during/before an action sequence. If they start with Leia's funeral, though, the characters will all be together in an extremely un-actiony part.

The movies gain a lot of momentum from everyone coming together and I don't feel like they can expend that at the beginning of the movie. My prediction is that Leia is just offscreen for the first third of the movie, then dies (offscreen obv) and her funeral starts Act 2.

First act is seperate, individual missions. Act 2 is funeral/identifying final threat. Act 3 is them eliminating that threat.
agracer
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Belton Ag said:

AliasMan02 said:

For all the theories about Rey's parentage, none of them adequately explained her abandonment into the care of Plutt. I think that gets overlooked. Her being a nobody with jackhole parents is pretty much the only reasonable explanation. We we're just too caught up in her story to really consider that as an option.
This. I have several posts in this thread about this. In thinking about the whole mystery surrounding Rey, I could never square the fact that she was dumped off with Plutt with her being the offspring of Luke, Han or anyone else other than perhaps a villain.

Of all the problems with TLJ, this is one caused by Abrams, not Johnson. I like the idea that Rey is a new character; I liked the idea that Snoke was a new character. I didn't like the apparent red herrings that went with those new characters, and all of the "mystery" surrounding Snoke - perpetuated off screen by the filmmakers - wasn't explored at all in the subsequent film.

Actually, this problem was caused by the horrible idea by Lucasfilm/Disney/whoever to play each movie by ear and not have **** planned out. It perfectly exemplifies what's wrong with the Star Wars universe and why the fanbase, casual and hardcore, are tearing each other apart. The real problem isn't the fans or the actors or the directors....it's the people in truly in charge of this franchise.
How the same company can be in charge of Marvel and then you see the mess that is SW right now makes you wonder WTF is going on.
Flashdiaz
AG
I know they said they weren't going to digitally recreate Leia, but if she would have shown up as a force ghost i'd probably lose it.
agracer
AG
TCTTS said:

Speaking of, what are some of your legit Episode IX predictions?

I'd go with...

- The above. Lando recovered Luke's lightsaber on Cloud City, gave it to Maz. (Abrams finally gets to tie up that loose end he so sloppily introduced in TFA.)

- Lando gets the Falcon back in the end. (I love that, good call.)

- Lando provides some kind financial or military support to the Resistance. (Another good one.)

- The Knights of Ren are finally involved, but not nearly as much as we'd like them to be. They're in it less than Maul was in TPM.

- Kylo dies, but does something noble just before his death, ala Vader in ROTJ.

- Rey and Poe become romantically involved.

- Rey ends up running some kind of new-wave Jedi Academy.

- Keri Russell either plays a villain or a hero at odds with Rey. Russell's scenes are rumored to be action heavy, and whichever way they play it, I think Rey will have some kind of female challenger, be it from the Dark Side or someone who challenges her in terms of being a hero.

- Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon have at least a line of dialogue each as Force Ghosts, are heard if not seen.

- Luke is also heard as a Force Ghost, but not in any prominent fashion (i.e. he doesn't "mentor" Rey from the dead). Hamill only has one visible appearance as a Force Ghost, toward the end.

- I have absolutely no idea what Finn does, and honestly don't care at this point.

- Rose dies a comical death in the opening scene

FIFY
Ulrich
My prediction: Billie Lourd, Carrie Fishers daughter, will play a fairly significant role
The Collective
AG
It would be kind of cool if the bad guys win, but I guess that can't happen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's what TLJ was.
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

That's what TLJ was.
Ah, so the First Order saved what they loved.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

I'll take the bait, since I'm one of those "posters" you're referring to. I read that entire article linked to in the tweet, waiting for some silver bullet in reference to Johnson's no-valid-criticism comment, and I honestly cannot figure out how the two are even related. What connection are you trying (and failing) to make here?

But more importantly... Why do you keep drudging this sh*t up??? We had a good/funny thing going with Lando/Falcon talk, I purposely tried to keep the thread swinging in that direction with some Episode IX predictions, but then you swept back in with this tired, divisive sh*t no one wants to rehash anymore. I realize that I've been just as guilty in the past in stoking those flames, but read the room, man. People are so ******* sick of talking about Rian Johnson and TLJ, and yet you keep going back to that well and continue to be an all around insufferable, impossibly persistent dolt when it comes to that sh*t.

The Ahmed Best suicide talk/revelations last week almost made me want to quit discussing Star Wars for good. That was incredibly depressing, eye-opening, and the icing on the cake with all the Rose/Johnson/TLJ talk the past few months. At this point, I'm so damn tired of pointing fingers and being associated in any way with all the toxicity out there. So can we PLEASE do our best to at least try and make this a relatively positive corner of the internet when it comes to Star Wars discussion from here on out? There will no doubt be certain things that we'll continue to gripe about and things that will still piss some us off. That's fine. But I just can't take any more negative Rian Johnson/TLJ talk. It's over. It's done. Everyone here has said everything that can possibly be said on the subject. We all know where each and every one of us stands.

And I realize that Johnson is in charge of a whole other trilogy that sounds like it's coming sooner rather than later, so it's impossible to avoid talking about him altogether. But until then, we have Episode IX, the Benioff & Weiss series, the Favreau TV series, and myriad expanded universe books, comics, etc to discuss, along with the same old OT/PT convos I would gladly welcome with open arms over any more posts about Rian ******* Johnson in relationship to TLJ or fandom in general.

Tldr.
bangobango
AG
Seriously tho, chill out man. I am not taking this nearly as seriously as you are.
jabberwalkie09
AG
CJS4715 said:

Well...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Enjoy it for what it is and look forward to more movies set in the SW Universe
This is what has always driven me nuts regarding all the criticisms of the prequels. I guess I was one of the few that was just happy to have more Star Wars movies to see.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Speaking of, what are some of your legit Episode IX predictions?

I'd go with...

- The above. Lando recovered Luke's lightsaber on Cloud City, gave it to Maz. (Abrams finally gets to tie up that loose end he so sloppily introduced in TFA.)

- Lando gets the Falcon back in the end. (I love that, good call.)

- Lando provides some kind financial or military support to the Resistance. (Another good one.)

- The Knights of Ren are finally involved, but not nearly as much as we'd like them to be. They're in it less than Maul was in TPM.

- Kylo dies, but does something noble just before his death, ala Vader in ROTJ.

- Rey and Poe become romantically involved.

- Rey ends up running some kind of new-wave Jedi Academy.

- Keri Russell either plays a villain or a hero at odds with Rey. Russell's scenes are rumored to be action heavy, and whichever way they play it, I think Rey will have some kind of female challenger, be it from the Dark Side or someone who challenges her in terms of being a hero.

- Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon have at least a line of dialogue each as Force Ghosts, are heard if not seen.

- Luke is also heard as a Force Ghost, but not in any prominent fashion (i.e. he doesn't "mentor" Rey from the dead). Hamill only has one visible appearance as a Force Ghost, toward the end.

- I have absolutely no idea what Finn does, and honestly don't care at this point.
Personally I think they will reference Leia's passing in the opening crawl, but if they do in fact depict her funeral, I'd love to see the scene someone else predicts of a funeral on an asteroid that is actually the remnants of Alderaan. If not that, then do a similar sequence to Padme's funeral. Although that brings up another question - what is Carrie Fisher's estate's stance on using the actress' visage through CGI or what-have-you for just such a sequence?

I can see a lot of your predictions happening, but I would prefer to see more of Luke as a Force ghost. I would also like to see Rose meet an inglorious end (and for that matter, toss Finn in to that as well).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

what is Carrie Fisher's estate's stance on using the actress' visage through CGI or what-have-you for just such a sequence?
Irrelevant really. Kennedy already confirmed they're not doing that at all.
TCTTS
AG
Put together a quick Episode IX schedule for reference, since production officially kicks off later this month and I know people will be asking...

July 2018 - January 2019
Production, aka Principal Photography / Filming

January 2019
Likely official title announcement (based on past precedent)

Spring 2019
Likely when John Williams begins recording his final Star Wars score ever

April 11-15, 2019 - Star Wars Celebration Chicago
Likely release of the first Teaser Trailer

Summer 2019
Scheduled reshoots/pickups

August 23-26, 2019 - D23 Anaheim
Likely release of the traditional Behind-the-Scenes Featurette

October 2019
Likely release of the Final Trailer

December 20, 2019
Theatrical Release Date

April 2020
Likely streaming / Blu-ray release
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
December 21, 2019
Bangobango begins his incessant *****ing
TCTTS
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

April 11-15, 2019 - Star Wars Celebration Chicago
Likely release of the first Teaser Trailer

August 23-26, 2019 - D23 Anaheim
Likely release of the traditional Behind-the-Scenes Featurette

October 2019
Likely release of the Final Trailer
This **** better be accurate.
First Page Last Page
Page 745 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.