Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,299 Views | 43820 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by The Porkchop Express
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Earl Spilner said:

December 21, 2019
Bangobango begins his incessant *****ing

Technically, that's when everyone else starts our incessant *****ing. We run out of steam around June 2020 and THAT'S when bangobango and render begin THEIR incessant *****ing.
TCTTS
AG
I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money on those three releases happening exactly as such.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep, this. They have no reason to change the formula now.

Have I mentioned how excited I am to be attending Celebration next year?
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Spring 2019
Likely when John Williams begins recording his final Star Wars score ever

SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Put together a quick Episode IX schedule for reference, since production officially kicks off later this month and I know people will be asking...

July 2018 - January 2019
Production, aka Principal Photography / Filming
(we all still hate Star Wars and are boycotting this movie; F- RJ)

January 2019
Likely official title announcement (based on past precedent)
(50% think what kind of name is that?! 50% think "what does THIS mean?!")

Spring 2019
(the bickering continues)

April 11-15, 2019 - Star Wars Celebration Chicago
Likely release of the first Teaser Trailer
(75% "OH MY GOD:; 20% "okay maybe"; 5% "Nope, still F- Disney"

Summer 2019
Scheduled reshoots/pickups
(40% "another Reshoot? what is going on here?"; 40% "oh good, they are fixing it to perfection"; 20% "huh?"

August 23-26, 2019 - D23 Anaheim
Likely release of the traditional Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
(Neat; oh and did you see the color of the reflection in the Faclon's cockpit, I wonder what THAT could mean!!!!)

October 2019
Likely release of the Final Trailer
(MAX HYPE 99%)

December 20, 2019
Theatrical Release Date
(Packed Theaters, Disney making $$$)

December 22, 2019
Rotten Tomatoes fan scoring takes shape; and internets does its thing
(F- JJ ABRAMS, KENNEDY, and DISNEY FOR RUINING MY CHILDHOOD AND MY LIFE, F- LUCAS, F- JAR JAR, F- CHROMEDOME, F- FINN, F- ROSE, F- REY, oh hey Kylo you were pretty cool again...)

April 2020
Likely streaming / Blu-ray release
(I guess I'll watch it again for the 6th time to see if my opinion has changed since interwebz in December)
I added another date and some details.
TCTTS
AG
Spot on.
Flashdiaz
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

TCTTS said:

Put together a quick Episode IX schedule for reference, since production officially kicks off later this month and I know people will be asking...

July 2018 - January 2019
Production, aka Principal Photography / Filming
(we all still hate Star Wars and are boycotting this movie; F- RJ)

January 2019
Likely official title announcement (based on past precedent)
(50% think what kind of name is that?! 50% think "what does THIS mean?!")

Spring 2019
(the bickering continues)

April 11-15, 2019 - Star Wars Celebration Chicago
Likely release of the first Teaser Trailer
(75% "OH MY GOD:; 20% "okay maybe"; 5% "Nope, still F- Disney"

Summer 2019
Scheduled reshoots/pickups
(40% "another Reshoot? what is going on here?"; 40% "oh good, they are fixing it to perfection"; 20% "huh?"

August 23-26, 2019 - D23 Anaheim
Likely release of the traditional Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
(Neat; oh and did you see the color of the reflection in the Faclon's cockpit, I wonder what THAT could mean!!!!)

October 2019
Likely release of the Final Trailer
(MAX HYPE 99%)

December 18, 2019

Rotten Tomatoes fan scoring takes shape; and internets does its thing
(F- JJ ABRAMS, KENNEDY, and DISNEY FOR RUINING MY CHILDHOOD AND MY LIFE, F- LUCAS, F- JAR JAR, F- CHROMEDOME, F- FINN, F- ROSE, F- REY, oh hey Kylo you were pretty cool again...)

December 20, 2019
Theatrical Release Date
(Packed Theaters, Disney making $$$)

April 2020
Likely streaming / Blu-ray release
(I guess I'll watch it again for the 6th time to see if my opinion has changed since interwebz in December)
I added another date and some details.
fify
Render
AG
Ulrich said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

December 21, 2019
Bangobango begins his incessant *****ing

Technically, that's when everyone else starts our incessant *****ing. We run out of steam around June 2020 and THAT'S when bangobango and render begin THEIR incessant *****ing.

Hey! I'm not a sniveling, complaining, Internet armchair critic that b*tches to strangers on the Internet!

Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to talk to y'all about why SW sucks and why no one should have any fun watching it. I've created an 18 point list. Number 1: The Story...
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So Frosty was wrong or making **** up.

Or this is fake news. (But I hope not.)
Urban Ag
AG
I think Disney would be foolish not to move forward with the Obi Wan SW story. Even the prequels haters generally agree that Ewan McGregor was solid as a young Obi Wan and one of if not the strongest character/component of the prequels.

Seems like the perfect intersection of a new SW story and OT nostalgia characters/planets. Much like Rogue One was. Make this movie, take my money mouse.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Now THIS makes me happy.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
amercer
AG
You guys will love it when the movie ends with him and yoda discussing how the most awesome and honorable way for a Jedi to go out it to force project themselves across the galaxy to confront an enemy as a distraction and then disappear into the force.
twilly
AG
I get the excitement over an Obi-Wan movie. But here is what gets me...

Obi-Wan's job, as instructed by Yoda was to protect Luke. He did this by placing Luke on Tatooine with his Aunt and Uncle. The purpose of doing this was to bring as little attention to Luke as possible by placing him on that craptastic rock of a planet. Leia is being protected by the Organa's, and I assume Obi-Wan isn't directly involved in keeping her safe.

Making yourself a hermit and staying isolated for years to protect the future Jedi order sound like a pretty darn important job, but a pretty lousy plot for a movie if you ask me. I'm assuming the movie will have to have Obi-Wan going off world to fight some evil element that would be a threat to Luke, Leia, or other things Jedi. Otherwise we get two hours of Obi-Wan bouncing back and forth between Mos Eisley VFW Hall and Toche Station *****ing about how cold the place is like all old people do.

Hagen95
AG
Hopefully, he runs into some scum and villainy in Mos Eisley in his travels as well.
TCTTS
AG
Who's to say that in the 20 YEARS Obi-Wan watched over Luke, that Obi-Wan didn't fight off potential attackers/assassins/kidnappers? For example, maybe someone in the Empire, beneath Vader, happens upon some sensitive information, and puts the pieces together that there's potentially another Skywalker on the very same planet - in the very same city - that Anakin was raised. So he takes a small contingent to Tatooine to confirm, and once he does, attempts to kidnap Luke to take him back to Vader, possibly in attempt to win Vader's favor. But Obi-Wan finds out and somehow thwarts the attempt. All while having to deal with and intervene in some kind of potential civil war or uprising on Tatooine over water scarcity or something. While ALSO trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible. The possibilities are nearly endless as to what Obi-Wan could have to deal with while watching over and protecting Luke, almost as some kind of invisible guardian angel of sorts. It could be an AMAZING story. Think Lawrence of Arabia meets The Professional meets Star Wars, except the kid can never know he has a protector.
TCTTS
AG
I also love the idea of Obi-Wan being caught in a situation where some other person or group absolutely needs his help. To the point where not assisting or getting involved would result in a terrible tragedy, or worse, would even have dire implications beyond just Tatooine. But getting involved would also mean not having eyes on Luke 24/7 and Obi-Wan has to make a decision or compromise. Maybe in order to help this person or people Obi-Wan has to journey to another part of Tatooine, or even off world, but also somehow has to ensure Luke's protection as best he can. And that's when trouble shows up for Luke and Obi-Wan ultimately has to figure out a way to solve both situations. Man, this movie could be SO GOOD.
AliasMan02
AG
Only downside to the Kenobi movie is that I'm SO SURE that my characterization of him from my little treatment is the right one, I'm not sure if I can handle anything else.
twilly
AG
You are correct, there would be endless amazing stories with him being an "invisible" guardian. In fact, I'm guessing that's the way the movie will develop with him as a silent protector.

But if evil doer's start making runs at the the one thing you are charged with protecting, maybe it's time to consider a better hiding place that what you currently have going on?

I'm looking forward to this movie just as much as others are on here. But I also believe in the continuity of the story line as presented in the books/cartoons/movies, and I think this will have to be addressed in the movie.

Questions like...
- If somebody finds out Luke is the son of Vader, how come Vader isn't told about it?
- If somebody senses Obi-Wan on Tatooine (like Maul did in Rebels), how does the Emperor/Vader not know about it, or better yet, how could a dark force type be cruising the galaxy hunting Jedi without ties to the Empire?

There are many more questions I could ask. I just feel the story will have to delve into why somebody is going after Luke/Obi-Wan and why the connection between those two and Vader never makes it back to the Empire.

A thought just occurred to me, maybe the connection does make it back to the Emperor, but he withholds it from Vader as a potential "poker hand" to play against Vader at a later date? That would make for sweet irony!
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

I also love the idea of Obi-Wan being caught in a situation where some other person or group absolutely needs his help. To the point where not assisting or getting involved would result in a terrible tragedy, or worse, would even have dire implications beyond just Tatooine. But getting involved would also mean not having eyes on Luke 24/7 and Obi-Wan has to make a decision or compromise.

Maul uses a great line in Rebels (cartoon) in regards to drawing Kenobi out of hiding, "I will tempt his noble heart".
israeliag
AG
Part of Obi-Wan's struggle isn't just keeping Luke safe, but keeping himself unknown. He can't just go all Jedi on any bad-guys, which will be a nice wrinkle to add to the tension.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This idea of exploring what Obi was doing all of those years would make for a perfect season or two of TV rather than a one-off movie. And McGregor has proven he'll do TV.
Urban Ag
AG
I don't recall Yoda instructing Obi Wan "never, leave Tatooine, you must". I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves to assume Obi was playing hover uncle for 20 straight years.
Urban Ag
AG
Quote:

- If somebody senses Obi-Wan on Tatooine (like Maul did in Rebels), how does the Emperor/Vader not know about it, or better yet, how could a dark force type be cruising the galaxy hunting Jedi without ties to the Empire?

Couple of scenarios.

Vader was Pals servant, not his BFF. Palps would sell out Vader in a heartbeat if he believed it would position him better just like sold he out Dooku in the process of turning Anakin. Also, in ESB, Palps says "the Son of Skywalker" when speaking to Vader which could be used as canon that Palps was aware who Luke was.

Another option could be some new villain at odds with Vader to unseat him as Palps #2 guy. He figures out (somehow) who Luke is and where and believes that delivering the son Skywalker to the Emperor will curry him favor so he keeps it all under wraps.

so many possibilities
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What TC said.

There have been some awesome ideas thrown out on the Obi-Wan thread. What's great is it's a pretty blank slate for a solid 20 years, so the possibilities are pretty endless.

Side note: How would people feel about potentially having Vader as a major character / side-plot?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, reminder that Joel Edgerton played Owen Lars.
powerbelly
AG
The whole idea of hiding him with a relative always was a weak plot point. I'm sure the movie will work.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What TC said.

There have been some awesome ideas thrown out on the Obi-Wan thread. What's great is it's a pretty blank slate for a solid 20 years, so the possibilities are pretty endless.

Side note: How would people feel about potentially having Vader as a major character / side-plot?
I don't like it, because in ANH; there is alot of dialogue around them not meeting for a long time:

"a presence I've not felt since..."
"When last we met I was but a learner. Now I am the Master."
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What TC said.

IMO he should not be in an Obi-Wan movie. He could be mentioned, but he would only be a detraction due to lines in ANH.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree completely, Vader shouldn't know that Obi-Wan is alive.

But do we ever learn at what point Obi-Wan learns that Vader is Anakin?

I'm thinking there could be a cool way to have a parallel plot of Vader hunting the Jedi, and someone working for Vader who discovers Obi-Wan, but is not able to make it back to inform him. Make it seem like the storylines are about to converge but it ends up being a very close call at the end.
Belton Ag
AG
If they're going to have Vader appear in that movie they need to get over to James Earl Jones' house and start recording lines, like tonight. His voice was already kind of off in Rogue One, and the man isn't getting any younger.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good thing Disney owns The Lion King. All those Mufasa line recordings might come in handy in a tight spot.
Belton Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Good thing Disney owns The Lion King. All those Mufasa line recordings might come in handy in a tight spot.
Just chop them up and piece them together to make sentences. Make sure Vader mentions watching CNN at least once.
MGS
Urban Ag said:

Quote:

Couple of scenarios.

Vader was Pals servant, not his BFF. Palps would sell out Vader in a heartbeat if he believed it would position him better just like sold he out Dooku in the process of turning Anakin. Also, in ESB, Palps says "the Son of Skywalker" when speaking to Vader which could be used as canon that Palps was aware who Luke was.

Another option could be some new villain at odds with Vader to unseat him as Palps #2 guy. He figures out (somehow) who Luke is and where and believes that delivering the son Skywalker to the Emperor will curry him favor so he keeps it all under wraps.

so many possibilities

Lucas changed that dialog three or four times, I'm not sure what's canon.

First Page Last Page
Page 746 of 1253

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.