Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,742 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think her parents are nobodies, from a certain point of view.
OnlyForNow
AG
Obi is her uncle... Obi's brother was a drunkard. Easy peasy.
AliasMan02
AG
CJS4715 said:

Ulrich said:

Continuity and foresight have always been a weak point in Star Wars, but it doesn't have to be that way... especially when you've got a committee managing a trilogy and you knew it going in. This isn't a lone writer/director winging it.

And, Rian Johnson spent an inordinate amount of time with the story group according to everything we read going into TLJ.

The story group is pretty flexible, though. They help with contradictions and precedent but really are all about doing new things. Pablo has TLJ near the top of his favorites list and TFA near the bottom, for example.
OnlyForNow
AG
Not sure where I saw this and I'm sure it was discussed some...

But does anyone think that Snoke allowed Kylo to kill him on purpose?

Snoke made mention that Kylo had to come to him for his final training yet it kinda seems like Kylo wasn't hanging out with Snoke much before the scenes with Rey being there. Although maybe Snoke was teaching Kylo how to reach out with his mind...

In any case, has that been talked about at all??
Farmer1906
AG
That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.
AliasMan02
AG
Not much time passed between the end of TFA and the start of TLJ. Kylo had spent that time being healed of his several injuries.

Kylo's resolve after capturing Rey seemed to satisfy Snoke that he had finally shed his doubts, and killing Rey would have brought him utterly to his fall.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Different funny topic that some of you might find funny.

Last night my 6 year old ( who is a Dark side nut, He loves Vader, Kylo, Dooku, and he even wanted a Ventress light saber and costume ( yeah son, no chick cosplay for you)) got into a discussion last night.

He was trying to convince me that Darth Vader LET the plans go at the end of Rogue One. His rational that Vader could have easily stopped them from passing card and thus was only doing it to out the Rebellion.
israeliag
AG
OnlyForNow said:

No - Snoke is calling our Kylo's thoughts almost play-by-play, and makes mention of how he can read his thoughts like a book. Kylo was just able to mislead him about who his thoughts were about. Also, there's a look of surprise on Snoke's face.

How Kylo was able to mislead Snoke is the tricky part, and my thought is that: Kylo killed Snoke out of good (but still to serve his own purpose), shrouding his intentions through the light side of the Force. We've seen that there's been difficulty in reading the other side of the Force (e.g. the Jedi Order missing the resurfacing of the Sith in the OT). One of the key themes TLJ returned to was the balance of the Force, and I think that's something both Kylo and Rey have been able to exhibit. Not a perfect balance, but an ability to dabble in both sides of the Force.
redline248
AG
Zero chance Kylo killed Snoke out of good. He did it for purely selfish reasons, which is epitome dark side.

Kylo struggles with being fully evil (i.e. not taking the kill shot knowing Leia was in the bridge). But he doesn't use the force for good.

Edit: just noticed your edit. I don't think he used the light side to dupe Snoke.
israeliag
AG
How do you think he was able to hide who he intended to kill from Snoke?
redline248
AG
He didn't hide anything. As narrated by Snoke, he was thinking "I'm going to kill my hated enemy."
redline248
AG
Btw, Snoke's to the letter mind reading is just another example of this new trilogy making the force ridiculously powerful.
Jason Ag
AG
Almost like watching an X-Men movie.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Btw, Snoke's to the letter mind reading is just another example of this new trilogy making the force ridiculously powerful.

Well, Snoke was obviously ridiculously powerful. And the mind he was reading is one he has been molding and manipulating for well over a decade.
jokershady
AG
Something I've been thinking of also....Rogue One tied in to the original trilogy very well and the Solo film has the same potential.

HOWEVER

Qi'ra, who is one of the characters in the Solo film...her character name wasn't chosen out of thin air. That was originally supposed to be Rey's name in the new trilogy.

We've all speculated that Han had an idea who Rey was in TFA. Part of me wonders if Qi'ra will somehow play a role (or have it hinted at) in Rey coming into the world.

Obviously I don't know how they'd do it. But it just seems interesting to me that they're using a character name originally intended for Rey in a movie about Han Solo.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Could be on purpose, or could merely be coincidence ("what name should we use? what about this name we already thought about?"). Interesting either way!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jokershady said:

Something I've been thinking of also....Rogue One tied in to the original trilogy very well and the Solo film has the same potential.

HOWEVER

Qi'ra, who is one of the characters in the Solo film...her character name wasn't chosen out of thin air. That was originally supposed to be Rey's name in the new trilogy.

We've all speculated that Han had an idea who Rey was in TFA. Part of me wonders if Qi'ra will somehow play a role (or have it hinted at) in Rey coming into the world.

Obviously I don't know how they'd do it. But it just seems interesting to me that they're using a character name originally intended for Rey in a movie about Han Solo.

Rey was technically supposed to be Kira not Qi'ra......

but I have the same curiosity. I've been assured it is just a name though and not some deeper meaning on other message boards.

AliasMan02
AG
Lucasfilm has a long history of having a list of names it likes and then using them as characters become available. Mace Windu was at one point a major character in the original Star Wars... maybe even the protagonist... I don't remember. I wouldn't read too much into it. After all, as tied in as Rogue One was thematically, it didn't play at all into anything beyond Star Wars except for some Easter eggs. I'd expect Solo to be sort of the same.
redline248
AG
Speaking of Rogue One, does the Empire seem like the kind of organization that would let the lead designer give the code name for a major project?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Not sure where I saw this and I'm sure it was discussed some...

Snoke made mention that Kylo had to come to him for his final training yet it kinda seems like Kylo wasn't hanging out with Snoke much before the scenes with Rey being there. Although maybe Snoke was teaching Kylo how to reach out with his mind...

In any case, has that been talked about at all??
I would assume that Kylo learned some "thought-blocking" techniques from Luke - Luke knowing a thing or two about letting someone into your mind after the way Vader manipulated him into going ballistic in ROTJ by bringing up Princess Leia.

However powerful Snoke was, Kylo had the advantage of having been trained by 2 Masters, and I"m assuming Luke never told Snoke "here's what I've told him so far so you don't repeat lessons."

Upon some reflection, I wonder if perhaps when Kylo talks to Vader's helmet in TFA, his reference to "finishing what you started" doesn't mean rooting out the last of the Jedi, but instead taking complete control of the galaxy for himself.

Both Anakin and Kylo have the unique experience of seeing both sides of the equation and realizing neither one is really all that great.

Anakin is 9 before he does any Force training, and by then has pretty solid ideas of what the Jedi are and what he'd like to be. Over the next 10 years, he gets all the Jedi training but sees all the cracks in the system too. He flips to Palpy's side to save Padme and even tells Padme he can destroy the Emperor and the two of them can rule. Once Padme dies and he sees that Palps can't actually save her, what allegiance does he have? When he realizes Luke is alive, he takes the rule the galaxy with me offer to his son.

Similarly, Kylo grows up, sees Luke's failing, sees Snoke as this barely holding together thing and probably thinks - jeez, I could do better than either.

I'd like to think when Snoke zaps him at the beginning of the movie what Kylo really sees are two things; 1) He needs to distract Snoke and 2) He can't fight all the Praetorian guards by himself. Therefore he kills two birds with one Snoke (thank you) by bringing in Rey, who distracts Snoke and helps him off the redheads.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
redline248 said:

Yep... I really liked the way the EU had it going with the force being less understood and the light side users having to give up control or trust the force to guide them whether it was using a lightsaber, reading intent (not minds per se), or flying a ship... whereas as dark side users bent the force to their will and took co troll over it's gifts to manipulate it... either way the force itself remained a mysterious power with limitations and "rules"...

This new force and Mary Sue Rey is quite annoying.
AliasMan02
AG
He's really exhausting to read, even on Twitter, but Chuck Windig has a nice thread talking about Rey and her bloodline.

redline248
AG
Chuck Windbag, amirite?

Anyway, I doubt many people would complain about her coming from nowhere is there hadn't been such importance around who she was in TFA. It was a recurring theme with characters asking "who's the girl?"
boogieman
AG
What's the joke on "Starb Warbs"?
AliasMan02
AG
boogieman said:

What's the joke on "Starb Warbs"?

Not 100% sure but I think the joke might be so the posts don't show up on Twitter searches by angry fanboys.
TCTTS
AG
That was pretty damn good. Thanks for the link.
Urban Ag
AG
So I haven't followed this thread for 5 or 6 days and just caught up and came to a conclusion.

The new SW trilogy is just like Aggie Football.

Huge, adoring, loyal, never happy, fanbase.

All the resources in the world.

Highly paid (if not highest) staff and support.

Huge expectations.

Mediocre product.

Next year/next time, we'll get better results.
TCTTS
AG
This... is spot on.
Belton Ag
AG
I've put too much thought into Rey's parentage already, but the reveal of her coming from nothing fits perfectly into TFA. It would explain why she was dumped off and handed over to Unkar Plutt, who was an awful villain, rather than Lor San Tekka or someone at least less dangerous. This leads me to believe JJ an Johnson did in fact collaborate and come to a consensus on her lineage before the Force Awakens filmed. At this point I'd be pretty shocked if they went back on that.

Having said that, I do hope they explain the force vision and what about her makes her so special. They even harkened back to the "Who's the girl?" theme in TLJ when Luke asks "Who are you?"

There is something there, I think. It'll take a really creative mind to expand on it and finish building her story so let's hope JJ is up to the task.

Fenrir
redline248 said:

Chuck Windbag, amirite?

Anyway, I doubt many people would complain about her coming from nowhere is there hadn't been such importance around who she was in TFA. It was a recurring theme with characters asking "who's the girl?"
Yeah, it's basically a failure of the Checkhov's gun principle.

Also this point of his is stupid, you don't need to set up the idea of her parentage as important before casually saying "no, wait...never mind, her lineage means nothing."

Sex Panther
AG
Urban Ag said:

So I haven't followed this thread for 5 or 6 days and just caught up and came to a conclusion.

The new SW trilogy is just like Aggie Football.

Huge, adoring, loyal, never happy, fanbase.

All the resources in the world.

Highly paid (if not highest) staff and support.

Huge expectations.

Mediocre product.

Next year/next time, we'll get better results.

And the young rockstar/phenom/savior went off the rails to the dark side... because good is dumb
Jason Ag
AG
Perfect. Rogue One must be 2012, ending with Vader (JFF) easily destroying rebels (sooners).
The Collective
AG
Definitely Aggie sports. Kathleen Kennedy is kind of like our basketball coach Billy Kennedy. Unheard of success, but the results still kind of suck somehow. Everyone is mad at each other trying to figure out WTF is happening.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
After hiring Jimbo Fisher and JJ Abrams:

redline248
AG
Quote:

Having said that, I do hope they explain the force vision and what about her makes her so special. They even harkened back to the "Who's the girl?" theme in TLJ when Luke asks "Who are you?"
I still don't know how much I care for (A) the fact that Snoke (the bad guy) is the one to give us the explanation of an equal in the force rising to challenge Kylo, and (B) the idea that the force requires (desires) there to be complete balance.

Did the force "will" Snoke into power to be the balance of Luke? Is the force some omnipotent thing controlling the universe? Or should we rather take the words of (maybe) the authority on the force, Yoda?

"Life creates it. Makes it grow." Not the other way around

And, yes, I'm well aware that Lucas crapped all over that when he decided Anakin was going to be a product of the force. I guess it's just a good idea to not care about continuity anymore?
First Page Last Page
Page 696 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.