Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,531 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
TajMaballer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Thor Ragnarok is as good as the trailers, maybe Taika Watiti gets a shot.

But I am hoping for Rian's retun or Ava Duvernay.
TCTTS
AG
Belton Ag said:

What about Denis Villenueve? I watched the short doc about the making of Close Encounters before that movie started the past weekend and he was featured in it alongside JJ Abrams talking about how it influenced him as a filmmaker. I know there's a big difference between Star Wars and CETK, but it establishes at least his interest in big space/fantasy films (not to mention directing Arrival).
Villeneuve is apparently deep in prep for Dune, his dream project. So I doubt he'd give another space franchise a spin before realizing that one first.
njohn87
AG
Trevorrow isn't especially good, and I'm not shedding any tears about him being gone, but it is concerning that Disney just can't seem to keep their hands off of these things and just let the directors make their movie. Disney is clearly terrified of making a bad Star Wars, which pretty much guarantees they'll never make a great Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG
Selfishly, I don't want Ava because it would likely delay my company's project with her, but I agree that should could be a great fit.
TCTTS
AG
njohn87 said:

Trevorrow isn't especially good, and I'm not shedding any tears about him being gone, but it is concerning that Disney just can't seem to keep their hands off of these things and just let the directors make their movie. Disney is clearly terrified of making a bad Star Wars, which pretty much guarantees they'll never make a great Star Wars.
This. All the way.

That said, they apparently let Rian do his thing, and if TLJ is a hit, maybe they'll be a bit more hands off in the future.
TCTTS
AG
Robert Zemeckis is another name being thrown around...
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Ryan Coogler and Kathryn Bigelow could be interesting. Bigelow, especially, might be my new sleeper pick.
TCTTS
AG
Worth noting, from July...

njohn87
AG
David Lynch
TajMaballer
AG
I would love Coogler, but doesn't he have another project with Michael B. Jordan lined up right after Black Panther? About a standardized testing scandal in Atlanta?

Saul Goodman
AG
Wow. Just got up to speed on the Trevorrow news. As a longtime hater of his work, I took this as a fantastic development. Now it will obviously come down to who they pick as replacement. As high as I am about Rian Johnson, I won't be comfortable handing 2/3 of the trilogy to him until after I see TLJ. My dream candidate would be Nolan, but Star Wars doesn't seem like something he would be interested in doing.
Liquid Wrench
TCTTS said:

Robert Zemeckis is another name being thrown around...
Is Joel Schumacher unavailable?
TCTTS
AG
Looks like Rian is already the front-runner...

TajMaballer
AG

Didn't think JJ would return, but definitely going to be refreshing Umberto's feed the next couple days.
JuliusCaesarAggie
The next RLM Nerd Crew episode should be fantastic
The Collective
AG
Well, just seeing the news. Damn. I never understood the original choice anyway though.
Vince Blake
Alex Garland (Ex Machina) would be a good choice.
TCTTS
AG
Hell yes. Great call.
TCTTS
AG
Director of Thor: Ragnorok...

TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
The Jackson/CGI talk is interesting because when LOTR came out it was such a fantastic example of restraint with digital effects. Sure, there was tons of CGI, but he also shot bigatures, in camera effects, etc., that looked FAR better than the Star Wars prequels.

Then Hobbit...went a different direction.
Urban Ag
AG
njohn87 said:

But they made a great Star Wars. It's called Rogue One. It's not perfect but it is great. Rank it right behind ESB.

Edwards nailed the feel of the Star Wars universe like no one had since Kershner did in 1980. Rogue One is Star Wars greatness. I don't know that he is the right choice for E9 but he did a fantastic job with R1. And after seeing the "behind the scenes" info on the R1 re-shoots, I was much more forgiving as to the "why" they were needed.

This is coming from a life long SW fan who wanted to love the prequels, but didn't, and was more excited for TFA (at an emotional level) than any movie in my lifetime, but admits it was terribly flawed. R1 was great Star Wars.
Ag Since 83
AG
If TLJ is as great as everyone thinks it might be, and Johnson is willing to do it, than bringing him back is a no brainer.

Edwards would obviously be problematic because of the Rogue One issues, but also because his style was really more suited for a Rogue One-like standalone than a saga film.

I think Abrams could do a good job as long as he was forced to stick to someone else's script and thus didn't overdo the nostalgia.
wangus12
AG
maca1028
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My dream choices at this point:

1. Peter Jackson (50/50 shot you get pure brilliance)
2. Christopher Nolan
3. Steven Spielberg
The Collective
AG
If TLJ is truly a great movie, maybe Lucasfilm will consider the fact that they had one director from end to end on the project (pending still obviously)...
COOL LASER FALCON
And also that they hired a writer/ director who had actually written and directed some good movies.
twilly
AG
They should just bring Lucas back and dig deeper into the origins of midicholrians

This is called sarcasm folks. I expect you to treat it as such.
Duncan Idaho
twilly said:

They should just bring Lucas back and dig deeper into the origins of midicholrians

This is called sarcasm folks. I expect you to treat it as such.

Screw that. I want to see more of the force twins from planet forceland
Duncan Idaho
The shift from the experienced adult use of CGI in in the Lord of the rings to the "I just took a Photoshop class at the art institute" use of CGI in the Hobbit was so confusing.
jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

israeliag
AG
Rian Johnson seems like such a no-brainer. He had input on Ep 7, is driving ep 8, and to have him responsible for progressing the themes he's set in place by closing off the trilogy should have been the plan from the get-go.

Why wasn't he picked for ep 9 to begin with?
TCTTS
AG
Because they needed a team developing the Episode IX script while Johnson was shooting VIII.
israeliag
AG
Well, I guess that's what they got.
First Page Last Page
Page 613 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.