Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,045 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like these movies should have been three years apart, like the other trilogies.
redline248
AG
double aught said:

Sounds like these movies should have been three years apart, like the other trilogies.

Yahtzee
Flashdiaz
AG
double aught said:

no. attention spans are shorter. I want all my star wars movies now

Duncan Idaho
double aught said:

How much if that 3 year window was due to the amount of practical effects and post production that had to be done? I mean did it take longer to make a movie back then?

But I do get your point, look at how bad splinter of the minds eye was and the only reason it existing was they wanted a sequel ready to roll if star wars was a hit.
The Collective
AG
I think the time line is about EPS and other Wall Street bull*****
Urban Ag
AG
I can remember an interview with Lucas from back in the 80's where he stated it literally took them every bit of the full three years between movies to get them to the theater. It was that two hour documentary that I believe ran on PBS. Great footage of all the problems they had with practical effects. And the ILM guys working day and night for weeks to get a shot done.
TCTTS
AG
As far as the prequels go, it was one guy (Lucas) writing/directing them all, and it took every second of those three years for him to get the next one done. Where as he didn't even start writing the next one until the previous one had been released, the current model is to be writing the next one while the previous one is in production. I don't think it's really a matter of movies being able to be made faster now in general.

That said, I absolutely wish there were three years in between saga films this go around. I can't wait to see The Last Jedi in December, but it definitely feels "too soon" in the grand scheme of things. TFA still feels like it was released yesterday. We haven't had time to truly miss these characters yet. If Lucasfilm is insisting on this a-Star-Wars-movie-every-year model, though, I would have much preferred two spinoffs and a saga movie, two spinoffs and a saga movie, and so on. Oh, well...
TCTTS
AG
Actually, in a perfect world, here's how I would have preferred to see it done...

Summer 2015 - Episode VII

Christmas 2016 - Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Summer 2018 - Episode VIII

Christmas 2019 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Summer 2021 - Episode IX

Christmas 2022 - Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story

... with a movie basically every year and a half. Saga films in the summer, spin-offs at Christmas. Best of both worlds.

If the behind-the-scenes drama could have been removed from VII, I would have loved to see it hit its original target date of summer 2015. Then Han Solo would have been the perfect follow-up/tribute after Han's death in VII, with Rogue One then technically following it chronologically in order of events. And then end the whole thing much the same way with an epic telling of Obi-Wan's time on Tatooine spanning around roughly the same time as Han Solo + Rogue One, if not a few years before.
MGS
CJS4715 said:

I think the time line is about EPS and other Wall Street bull*****
Somebody's gotta pay for all of ESPN's bad TV contracts.
Urban Ag
AG
Wondering out loud if either the Han Solo or Kenobi films will focus on a relatively short period of time, or span years? All previous SW films have focused on a couple of key events that set the timeline to clearly spanning only a few days to a maybe a week or so, but again, each focused on 1-2 events.

So with Kenobi, would we see what he was up to in that roughly 18 year span from ROTS to ANH? Or maybe a particular story of merit that happened in that time frame that only lasts a few days or weeks?

Same for Solo. Would we a span years covering the back stories that made Solo who he was? Or maybe a period of a few weeks where he meets Chewie and Lando, wins the Falcon, and gets sideways with Jabba?

I have a hard time envisioning a SW movie that covers a time line that spans years.
TCTTS
AG
My guess is that Han Solo takes place over a relatively short period of time (a few weeks, maybe) while Obi-Wan takes place over a period of years. Feels fitting for the latter.
Pinata Man
TCTTS said:

Actually, in a perfect world, here's how I would have preferred to see it done...

Summer 2015 - Episode VII

Christmas 2016 - Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Summer 2018 - Episode VIII

Christmas 2019 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Summer 2021 - Episode IX

Christmas 2022 - Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story

... with a movie basically every year and a half. Saga films in the summer, spin-offs at Christmas. Best of both worlds.

If the behind-the-scenes drama could have been removed from VII, I would have loved to see it hit its original target date of summer 2015. Then Han Solo would have been the perfect follow-up/tribute after Han's death in VII, with Rogue One then technically following it chronologically in order of events. And then end the whole thing much the same way with an epic telling of Obi-Wan's time on Tatooine spanning around roughly the same time as Han Solo + Rogue One, if not a few years before.
What behind the scene dramas was there with VII? I thought it was all with Rogue One.
TCTTS
AG
Michael Arndt being replaced by Abrams/Kasdan at the last minute as writers. Abrams/Kasdan basically decided to start from scratch, which ultimately resulted in the movie being pushed from a tentative summer 2015 date to December 2015. And even then, Abrams/Kasdam were writing on the fly during production.
TexasAggie_02
AG
TCTTS said:

Michael Arndt being replaced by Abrams/Kasdan at the last minute as writers. Abrams/Kasdan basically decided to start from scratch, which ultimately resulted in the movie being pushed from a tentative summer 2015 date to December 2015. And even then, Abrams/Kasdam were writing on the fly during production.
writing on the fly = copying/pasting ep 4 plot
TCTTS
israeliag
AG
As much as I'd love to see an Obi-Wan film spanning multiple years, no way Disney disqualifies potential for multiple sequels for one of the key characters of the saga that way.

:/
Urban Ag
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

TCTTS said:

writing on the fly = copying/pasting ep 4 plot
Do I have to debunk this again?

Rey is girl. Luke was a boy.

Rey had to steal the Falcon to get off crappy desert world. Luke and Ben had a charter with Han to get off crappy desert world.

The First Order tried to stop Rey. The Empire tried to stop Luke.

BB8 was carrying a map. R2 was carrying the Death Star plans.

Star Killer destroyed a whole system of planets. Death Start just blew up Alderaan.

Kylo killed his own father. Ben and Anakin were just, you know, really good friends once.

Starkiller Base was a planet converted in to a massive weapon. The Death Star was just a space station with a big gun (nor nearly as big as Star Killer's).

First Order Stormtroopers were terrible shots. Empire Stormtroopers were...........

Rey went and found Luke on a remote planet to begin her training. That sh** didn't happen until ESB.

Totally different movies man.
TexasAggie_02
AG
my bad
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm so ****ing excited for the Obi-Wan movie.
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm so ****ing excited for the Obi-Wan movie.

AgMarauder04
AG
Obi Wan movie could span 10 years. Still leaves what, 25-30 for more?
TCTTS
AG
He dropped Luke of as a baby, and then isn't Luke like 19 or so when A New Hope starts?
TCTTS
AG
Fantastic list from my boy Jeff. I really do think it'll end up being one of these...

Ag Since 83
AG
Sneider's your boy?
TCTTS
AG
He works for the company I own, yes.
AgMarauder04
AG
Oh, that's right. So, perhaps 20 years.
Ag Since 83
AG
Really? I watch him on the Schmoedown. I watch for the trivia and don't really care about Harloff's wrestling inspired storylines, but Sneider makes an entertaining heel
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, he's a huge part of our big relaunch soon. We hired him a few months back and he's been killing it. One of the best in the business. Love his Schmoedown stuff too. But yeah, we're in the same office every single day. Just spoke to him in between my last post and yours, actually. He's heading to the Toronto International Film Festival tomorrow for the next week or so, and he'll have a ton of early reactions to all the Oscar fare premiering there so check that out if you get the chance. And our new platform (the news portion, at least) is debuting next month, so be on the look out for that as well.
Ag Since 83
AG
Does he have a toothpick in his mouth all the time, or just on YouTube? He definitely knows his trivia.

Thanks for the heads up on Toronto. I'll be looking for it.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I've never seen him with a toothpick in person.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
I don't get it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Dro07
AG
almost as good as this one...

AGGies0311
First Page Last Page
Page 614 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.