Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,043 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Dro07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Michael Bay sucks.
TCTTS
AG
I say good riddance...

This is the flip side of hiring these guys to do massive blockbusters who've only done one or two indies prior. I don't care how smart or naturally talented these guys are at their craft, experience counts more than any of it, and these guys simply don't have it. Without it, in certain instances, it makes for massive egos, especially in the case of Trevorrow, just without any of the skill to back it up, skill that only comes from experience. In fairness, Trevorrow has always seemed like a super nice guy in interviews, but at the same time, something has always rubbed me wrong about him. And the fact that Jurassic World was so successful monetarily, but so utterly vanilla narratively, only amplified that "offness" about him and his sense of entitlement in my eyes.
Saul Goodman
AG
Yep. Gotta say that overall I've been pleased with the output from Lucasfilms since Kathleen Kennedy took over. I think she has earned a bit of trust.

TC - what other well known directors have reputations for being d***s? I gotta think the nature of the job and the necessary ego to pull it off attracts a lot of them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
James Cameron probably
Sweet Kitten Feet
S

The Collective
AG
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
israeliag
AG
And what about the script? Assuming JJ will be tweaking it?
Ag Since 83
AG
Get it done JJ
The Collective
AG
FTR, I like JJ, but this just feels safe. I guess that's all you can do at this point in the process though. At the end of the day, I'm sure he will deliver an enjoyable film and has enough awareness to not ruin this finale with something like ewoks.

Edit: Kathleen probably wanted someone who will provide a fairly drama-free process, so I'm sure that weighed heavily on her decision.
Ag Since 83
AG
I know he can do amazing things with this movie. He set out to make VII as a soft reboot so the nostalgia/similarities to IV was high. I'm gonna trust for now that Johnson is setting Abrams up to do something different

Edit: Put it this way, at no point since 2015 would I have choesn Trevorrow over JJ, so this is a step up
Simplebay
AG
He gets star wars, what we love about it, and brought these characters we care about to the screen.

That being said... he cannot care about star wars so much he makes RotJ remake, plays it safe, and a nice big bubble.

Take some chances, wow us, and make a great semi safe stick the landing movie
jackie childs
it'll be interesting to revisit this decision once we've seen Episode VIII. but for now, i'm pretty happy because with JJ, I feel like the possibility of Episode IX being a cluster f*** is at least off the table.

and i don't really mean that to be a knock on JJ...while it's obviously a somewhat "safe" hire, i think it's also a very good one.
Sex Panther
AG
Kylo is Rey's father!!!
Saul Goodman
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I know he can do amazing things with this movie. He set out to make VII as a soft reboot so the nostalgia/similarities to IV was high. I'm gonna trust for now that Johnson is setting Abrams up to do something different

Edit: Put it this way, at no point since 2015 would I have choesn Trevorrow over JJ, so this is a step up
My thoughts exactly. The complaints about TFA were fair and warranted, but overall, I thought he delivered. Starting something from scratch is really tough and despite things like Starkiller Base, the movie was so dang refreshing after living through the prequels. I would have preferred somebody else write it, but hoping that Rian Johnson's setup prevents JJ from some of his same mistakes in TFA.
The Collective
AG
Sex Panther said:

Kylo is Rey's father!!!

Rey and Finn are siblings.
Saul Goodman
AG
On a related note, let's over-analyze something:

Do you think Rian Johnson not getting the gig was his call or Disney's? If it was Disney, could it be them being less-than-impressed with his work on TLJ? Concerns about giving a guy back-to-back control over the last 2/3 of the trilogy? Or maybe they just felt more comfortable with JJ?
SeattleAgJr
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Oh for **** sake.

NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
The Collective
AG
I read nothing into it. I bet there is a good chance RJ wouldn't want to do another Star Wars. I'm actually surprised that JJ does.
The Collective
AG
Also, it says he is writing IX... you think the script is getting mostly shredded? What do we think about Chris Terrio?
Simplebay
AG
This is simple.

The script is being reworked heavily no doubt, but the themes and major plot is already mapped out.

Rian Johnson is likely shtting himself right now waiting for TLJ to get released, and KK has no idea how it's going to be received.

It could bomb, or not do as well. We already know that JJ has said he loves where the new movie is headed, Johnson likely needs a break and not turn right around and do it again for another 2 years. And Abrams is trusted, and is part of the family.

Easy call. And likely the right call. Sadly, you can't take chances with the 3rd one. You take chances with the second one.
Ag Since 83
AG
Saul Goodman said:

Do you think Rian Johnson not getting the gig was his call or Disney's? If it was Disney, could it be them being less-than-impressed with his work on TLJ? Concerns about giving a guy back-to-back control over the last 2/3 of the trilogy? Or maybe they just felt more comfortable with JJ?
As was said earlier, we'll revisit all this after we see VIII, but my guess for now is Johnson needs a break. They practically had to beg JJ to do VII so soon after Star Trek Into Darkness because he had promised his family a vacation.

Since JJ is coming back, I can only assume the past 2 years have been the break he and his family needed. And I'm willing to believe Johnson needs a similar break. But hopefully he still is involved in the collaboration
AGGies0311
Porgs are Chewies children
double aught
AG
Simplebay said:

It could bomb
I agree with everything you said, except this. There is no surer thing.
The Collective
AG
NColoradoAG
CJS4715 said:

What do we think about Chris Terrio?

I just hope the third act doesn't feature Rey screaming "martha" while fighting Kylo, and the entire tone of the movie does a 180 in 5 seconds.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'm okay with JJ writing and directing Episode IX. Yeah, it's a safe pick to be sure, but given all the drama we were seeing already with IX, they had to fire that guy and get someone they could depend on. Now I really cannot imagine a world in which a Star Wars movie is released and it does not make truckloads of cash - even the TexAgs-hated prequels did that.

I have my criticisms over VII, but for me that movie worked nevertheless. It was much more fun than the prequels, to be sure, even though it basically re-told IV unnecessarily; I don't believe they needed to play it safe with regard to the story they told. It was the first new Star Wars movie in a decade, or as many here would say, since 1983. It was going to be successful. But I really hope JJ does not feel the need to give us his take on Return of the Jedi.
Sex Panther
AG
CJS4715 said:

Aww hell yeah... that'd show Colin Cowherd
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly, thrilled and relieved with this news. Rey and Kylo are his characters and I'm glad he'll be concluding their stories.

Feels right.
Ag Since 83
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Honestly, thrilled and relieved with this news. Rey and Kylo are his characters and I'm glad he'll be concluding their stories.

Feels right.
Thought about this earlier and agree 100%. The strength of VII was the new characters, so it's great to know the person who helped create them will be finishing the trilogy
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, gonna take a wild guess that JJ was already hired even before the Trevorrow announcement.
Simplebay
AG
Under a billion dollars is a bomb FYI
fig96
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Saul Goodman said:

As was said earlier, we'll revisit all this after we see VIII, but my guess for now is Johnson needs a break. They practically had to beg JJ to do VII so soon after Star Trek Into Darkness because he had promised his family a vacation.

Since JJ is coming back, I can only assume the past 2 years have been the break he and his family needed. And I'm willing to believe Johnson needs a similar break. But hopefully he still is involved in the collaboration
Yeah, I have to imagine creating these is a pretty intense process, doing two back to back when you weren't originally involved in the second would be a massive ordeal.

All the word on Johnson's film is super positive so far, I'm not concerned there.
AliasMan02
AG
This should have been predicted. When push comes to shove on these tough issues and changes, Lucasfilm had kept it in the family. They've trusted these "second chances" to people who are deep in the Lucasfilm DNA. JJ, as Spielberg's protege even before Ep VII definitely qualifies.

Any word on Kasdan?
Simplebay
AG
They don't need him.

Enter Starkiller Base II in construction on a larger unfinished planet. This is where Rey and Kylo will fight in a half finished superstructure while Snoke watches and possibly uses force thunder to turn the tide.

At the last moment Kylo will turn back to the light with flashbacks of Leia/Han (possibly force ghosts) and kill Snoke, and die from injuries while Rey is sad but he is redeemed.

Luke will be a force ghost smiling at them as the Resistance throws a huge carnivorous party drumming on the head of Captain Phasma, with a pack of Porgs in tow who also helped save the day.

Episode 9 - The Final Hope

That'll be $10MM please
First Page Last Page
Page 615 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.