Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,203 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Simplebay said:

Snoke watches and possibly uses force thunder to turn the tide.
israeliag
AG
Simplebay said:

They don't need him.

Enter Starkiller Base II in construction on a larger unfinished planet. This is where Rey and Kylo will fight in a half finished superstructure while Snoke watches and possibly uses force thunder to turn the tide.

At the last moment Kylo will turn back to the light with flashbacks of Leia/Han (possibly force ghosts) and kill Snoke, and die from injuries while Rey is sad but he is redeemed.

Luke will be a force ghost smiling at them as the Resistance throws a huge carnivorous party drumming on the head of Captain Phasma, with a pack of Porgs in tow who also helped save the day.

Episode 9 - The Final Hope

That'll be $10MM please

Don't forget the first act of the film!

Finn goes undercover with a shackled Chewie in tow to rescue the one most important to him, a frozen Poe Dameron, from the smugglers we met two films previous. Rey shows up clad in black, and, using her newly mastered force powers, overcomes both a menacing monster and the smugglers (with the help of a lovable little droid) to save the group!
Simplebay
AG
Now it has been pushed back to December 2019.

where's my summer star wars??!?!
Farmer1906
AG
Simplebay said:

All is right now.
double aught
AG
Simplebay said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Simplebay said:

I get summer Star Wars but I have really liked having a big Star Wars movie at Christmas.
TCTTS
AG
I really, really hope the tweets below are right. I love J.J. as a director - not so much as a writer - and this feels SO close to the same scenario as VII, where J.J. and a co-writer came aboard way late in the prcoess, after a couple drafts had been completed, and rewrote the script with just months to go before filming. We're even seeing the release date pushed back again from summer to Christmas to accommodate, same as before. Granted, at least A) they'll have a bit more time this go around, and B) they're not having to invent an entire world and cast of characters basically from scratch. So who knows. This is definitely a massive step of from Trevorrow, but I hope Abrams' heart is truly in this, and that he's learned from past mistakes...

TCTTS
AG
Also, there's no way Han Solo sticks to May now, right? Surely it won't be the only non-Christmas movie of the new batch, but who knows...
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Simplebay said:

Said it before and I'll say it again.

I was 100% in the "Star Wars belong in summer" camp back in 2015.

Two movies later, I am fully onboard with Star Wars on Christmas.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not to mention, I never really jived with having Han Solo and Ep IX just a few months apart. Let these movies breathe. Once a year feels right. Star Wars movies are an event and should be treated as such.

Edit: My bad, Solo is still coming out 6 months after TLJ. Brain fart. But here's hoping it shifts to Dec 2018.

That reminds me, time to update the ol' page 1 index.
JuliusCaesarAggie
That Carson Reeves tweet about Terrio is such a cop out. Its the two greatest comic book superheroes of all time. Lots of good writers could find multiple ways to make that work. The BvS script is the biggest missed opportunity of the last ten years.
JuliusCaesarAggie
Are they really events when they get churned out yet after year?
YouBet
AG
Bittersweet decision.

I do hope hes courageous with this opportunity.
fig96
AG
JuliusCaesarAggie said:

That Carson Reeves tweet about Terrio is such a cop out. Its the two greatest comic book superheroes of all time. Lots of good writers could find multiple ways to make that work. The BvS script is the biggest missed opportunity of the last ten years.
My interpretation was that it was a no win in regards to the studio, not the subject matter.
TCTTS
AG
I took it to mean in regards to the to the script/subject matter, not the studio, but I guess it could be either. Carson has a prominent screenwriting website, though, so it's likely the former.

Regardless, Batman vs. Superman is a really dumb idea. Just because it's the two of the greatest comic book superheroes of all time doesn't mean they should fight each other. It was a last-minute, desperate play on the part of WB when Man of Steel underperformed and they panicked. Studio move, stupid idea.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

I took it to mean in regards to the to the script/subject matter, not the studio, but I guess it could be either.

Regardless, Batman vs. Superman is a really dumb idea. Just because it's the two of the greatest comic book superheroes of all time doesn't mean they should fight each other. It was a last-minute, desperate play on the part of WB when Man of Steel underperformed and they panicked. Studio move, stupid idea.
It's amazing to me that a copy in possession of IP with literally decades of stories behind and talented writers and artists still churning out content can't figure things out.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I took it to mean in regards to the to the script/subject matter, not the studio, but I guess it could be either. Carson has a prominent screenwriting website, though, so it's likely the former.

To be fair, this very idea was the subject of one of the more popular graphic novels in the last few decades. Very critically acclaimed at the time.

Also, Marvel's Civil War.....

Doesn't negate the fact that it was a desperate play here though.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

I really, really hope the tweets below are right. I love J.J. as a director - not so much as a writer - and this feels SO close to the same scenario as VII, where J.J. and a co-writer came aboard way late in the prcoess, after a couple drafts had been completed, and rewrote the script with just months to go before filming. We're even seeing the release date pushed back again from summer to Christmas to accommodate, same as before. Granted, at least A) they'll have a bit more time this go around, and B) they're not having to invent an entire world and cast of characters basically from scratch. So who knows. This is definitely a massive step of from Trevorrow, but I hope Abrams' heart is truly in this, and that he's learned from past mistakes...

absolutely, but that's gotta be a pretty low risk at this point, right?

I can imagine how difficult it would be for someone to turn down a SW film, so I'd share that concern with just about anybody else. but since JJ has already done one and turned down Episode VIII (right?), this would be an easily defended "thanks, but no thanks" situation.

he knows exactly what to expect with Kennedy, he knows the story episode VIII is about to tell and he knows where Episode IX is supposed to go. if he's jumping back on board, I gotta think it's because he's legitimately excited about the opportunity and wants to be a part of it.

or at least I hope...
M.C. Swag
AG
JJ Abrams won't win any oscars, but the guy knows how to deliver a fun theater movie. He's one of my favorite directors simply for his consistency. With him you know you'll get fun action sets, good practical and CGI effects, and some good humor. Almost all his movies are fun and most have re-watch appeal. Of course it will have some tone flaws, some sort of dues ex machina (or extreme character triumph), lens flares and snap zooms but whatever deficiencies he possesses as a director; he's never produced anything as bad as Jurassic World/The Book of Henry.

Disney knows how important IX will be. If there's 1 movie in the next decade they HAVE to get right, it's this one.
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Going to have to disagree with you. The concept isn't about having these two fight - it's about having one of our favorite super-heroes lose their way and how to stop them. The reason it's a great concept to me is that Batman is this altruistic hero who fails. He becomes fallible. His sticking to his morals got his, essentially, family killed (talking about Robin) just as his dad's sticking to his morals got him and Martha killed. This turns our favorite hero and he starts to take different measures to uphold his view of justice. Who else in the world is there to check him but Superman? Unfortunately it replaced a Superman 2 or an establishing Batman movie that we should have had at that point to develop this cinematic universe and make those themes make sense and not out of place.

Anyway... Star Wars!
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

Going to have to disagree with you. The concept isn't about having these two fight - it's about having one of our favorite super-heroes lose their way and how to stop them. The reason it's a great concept to me is that Batman is this altruistic hero who fails. He becomes fallible. His sticking to his morals got his, essentially, family killed (talking about Robin) just as his dad's sticking to his morals got him and Martha killed. This turns our favorite hero and he starts to take different measures to uphold his view of justice. Who else in the world is there to check him but Superman? Unfortunately it replaced a Superman 2 or an establishing Batman movie that we should have had at that point to develop this cinematic universe and make those themes make sense and not out of place.

Anyway... Star Wars!
lol I think literally everyone knows the concept wasn't about them actually fighting. (Which is precisely why it was made fun of when it was so obviously predictable they would team up and thus calling it 'Batman vs Superman' was some lame attempt to create a faux conflict that only the most ignorant viewers would believe.)

The concept of an 'evil' superman and how would one stop him IS interesting....too bad thats not what WB gave us.
Flashdiaz
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Quote:

Anyway... Star Wars!
lol I think literally everyone knows the concept wasn't about them actually fighting. (Which is precisely why it was made fun of when it was so obviously predictable they would team up and thus calling it 'Batman vs Superman' was some lame attempt to create a faux conflict that only the most ignorant viewers would believe.)

The concept of an 'evil' superman and how would one stop him IS interesting....too bad thats not what WB gave us.
the overall story was good. Bruce's employees were killed and a city destroyed due to Superman's negligence (not to mention Zod came to Earth just for Superman). Batman needed a way to defeat Superman in case he went rogue.... what sucked about the movie was the execution and some parts just seemed disjointed (Martha's and dumb big Doomsday to name a few of many).

Back as it relates to Star Wars, depending on how much was changed from the writers initial intent, we shouldn't discount the writer based on the final version of B vs. S
israeliag
AG
Agreed. I was just replying to TC's opinion that the idea was dumb. But yeah - very flawed movie and they went the route that Batman was evil and Superman naive and still learning instead of Superman just saying F you humans it's my laws now.
israeliag
AG
And let's not discount Terrio's Argo work. Decent work of suspense with a bit of humor. I'm sure though we'll all rush back here once we watch JL.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Good to see this confirmed. Was supposed to be January. More time now to not just rewrite the script, but get it right...

TheDoctor
AG
Bring it home, JJ.
Texags is garbage
Seems like Trevorrow had zero business being around Star Wars.
Liquid Wrench
TCTTS
AG
I've given Abrams plenty of sh*t, but I will defend his lens flares to the death. I LOVE the lens flares and I hope he brings them back tenfold.
M.C. Swag
AG
another angry ag said:

Seems like Trevorrow had zero business being around Star Wars.
- Said almost everyone the moment it was announced he would be the Director
M.C. Swag
AG
TCTTS said:

I've given Abrams plenty of sh*t, but I will defend his lens flares to the death. I LOVE the lens flares and I hope he brings them back tenfold.
lol Yea, I don't mind it either. It's just a funny characteristic that is ultimately harmless. It's kinda like Michael Bay and his explosions. Say what you will about Bay, but I'd hire him as my SFX guy any day of the week!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Natalie Portman is the reason I work out. I have this fantasy where we start talking at the Vanity Fair Oscars party bar. We exchange a few pleasantries. She asks what I do. I say I loved her in New Girl. She laughs. I get my drink.

"Well, see ya," I say and walk away. I've got her attention now. How many guys voluntarily leave a conversation with Natalie Portman? She touches her neck as she watches me leave.

Later, as the night's dragged on and the coterie of gorgeous narcissists grows increasingly loose, she finds me on the balcony, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette.

"Got a spare?" she asks.

"What's in it for me?" I say as I hand her one of my little white ladies. She smiles.

"Conversation with me, duh."

I laugh.

"What's so funny?" she protests.

"Nothing, nothing... It's just... don't you grow tired of the egos?"

"You get used to it," she says, lighting her cigarette and handing me back the lighter.

"What would you do if you weren't an actress?" I ask.

"Teaching, I think."

"And if I was your student, what would I be learning?"

"Discipline," she says quickly, looking up into my eyes, before changing the subject. "Where are you from?"

"Bermuda," I say.

"Oh wow. That's lovely."

"It's ok," I admit. "Not everything is to my liking."

"What could possibly be not to your liking in Bermuda?" she inquires.

"I don't like sand," I tell her. "It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."
Still one of my favorite posts...
First Page Last Page
Page 616 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.