Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,899 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Always makes me laugh.
jackie childs
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Natalie Portman is the reason I work out. I have this fantasy where we start talking at the Vanity Fair Oscars party bar. We exchange a few pleasantries. She asks what I do. I say I loved her in New Girl. She laughs. I get my drink.

"Well, see ya," I say and walk away. I've got her attention now. How many guys voluntarily leave a conversation with Natalie Portman? She touches her neck as she watches me leave.

Later, as the night's dragged on and the coterie of gorgeous narcissists grows increasingly loose, she finds me on the balcony, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette.

"Got a spare?" she asks.

"What's in it for me?" I say as I hand her one of my little white ladies. She smiles.

"Conversation with me, duh."

I laugh.

"What's so funny?" she protests.

"Nothing, nothing... It's just... don't you grow tired of the egos?"

"You get used to it," she says, lighting her cigarette and handing me back the lighter.

"What would you do if you weren't an actress?" I ask.

"Teaching, I think."

"And if I was your student, what would I be learning?"

"Discipline," she says quickly, looking up into my eyes, before changing the subject. "Where are you from?"

"Bermuda," I say.

"Oh wow. That's lovely."

"It's ok," I admit. "Not everything is to my liking."

"What could possibly be not to your liking in Bermuda?" she inquires.

"I don't like sand," I tell her. "It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."
Still one of my favorite posts...
i don't know how I missed that, but kudos...that may be the most brilliant thing I've read on Texags
Malachi Constant
AG
I don't know if that story originated on Texags, but I know I've seen it posted on Reddit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd love to take credit, but indeed it came from reddit.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Pretty crazy how even in October, we still had no idea Rey was the main character.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Uhm, I thought it was pretty clear back then I think
wangus12
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BZChMA5FjdE
AliasMan02
AG
As with most quiet moments in my life, I've been thinking about Star Wars. Particularly about things that Lucasfilm has been teasing through expanded canon, which I usually view as them working things out and floating creative concepts.

We've talked some that we expect to see more detail on lightsaber creation in TLJ, and we've speculated about what color lightsaber Rey will have. We've seen a ton of stress put on kyber in the last two years. We also know they're rarer than ever, as the First Order uses what they can find in their ship weapons. Kylo uses a cracked crystal, but I don't think we know if he cracked it during the bleed or if that's just all that was available

I think I've decided that Rey is going to have a WHITE lightsaber, created by healing a "bled" Sith kyber. We see this only with Ahsoka's sabers in the canon (Ahsoka and Rebels), which were healed from the bled crystals of one of the inquisitors (Ahsoka).

I think she'll end up reclaiming a kyber from Vader's fortress on Mustafar (which I expect us to see in some role, given its cameo of sorts in RO), or from Kylo.

Random thoughts over.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe so, could be misremembering. I thought it was the poster and final trailer that finally made us realize it was her movie and not Finn's.

I do know for sure, everyone thought Finn would be the Jedi until Harrison Ford gave away the Rey vs Kylo lightsaber fight on a Reddit AMA.
jr15aggie
AG
You're over thinking it man. Why wouldn't she just use the blue one? Luke will have his green one still and Rey will use the saber of destiny.

Or did I miss something?
AliasMan02
AG
jr15aggie said:

You're over thinking it man. Why wouldn't she just use the blue one? Luke will have his green one still and Rey will use the saber of destiny.

Or did I miss something?

She'll start with Luke's lightsaber but will eventually make her own, for sure. It's a rite of passage and part of a Jedi's training. So she'll definitely make her own in TLJ or Ep 9.

And giving Rey a unique lightsaber type (like a pole arm fashioned after her staff) and/or color is a great marketing opportunity for Lucasfilm.

It does make some sense that the heirloom saber could stay in play, but really it doesn't have that much destiny in it. The only significant act it ever performed was murdering the younglings. It failed to defeat Obi-Wan, failed to defeat Vader, and wasn't around for the defeat of the emperor. It may have been one of the two lightsabers that killed Dooku.
The Collective
AG
Hopefully Kylo will take Anakin's lightsaber.
Farmer1906
AG
CJS4715 said:

Kyle is the true hero of Star Wars. Rey is going to Sith Lord it up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was staunchly against this in 2015, but how ballsy would that be?
Saul Goodman
AG
Count me in. Rey goes Sith in IX, this trilogy serves as a better version of the prequels, and then the next trilogy is about taking her down. I love the idea of her being a bada** villain.
TCTTS
AG
Rey has proved to be too much of a hit character / role model to young girls. There's no way she goes Sith. She might flirt with the dark side briefly, but Disney will never allow a full turn. No one's buying "Dark Side Rey" toys. At least not the demographic that matters. The closest she's going to get is this "Gray Jedi" idea that seems to be hinted at.
redline248
AG
She probably won't get any closer than Luke did in Jabba's palace.
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Rey has proved to be too much of a hit character / role model to young girls. There's no way she goes Sith. She might flirt with the dark side briefly, but Disney will never allow a full turn. No one's buying "Dark Side Rey" toys. At least not the demographic that matters. The closest she's going to get is this "Gray Jedi" idea that seems to be hinted at.
I find this to be a very poor reason to not do it.

Make the best movie possible. How well the toys sell be damned.
redline248
AG
Making her turn doesn't make the movie better.
AliasMan02
AG
CJS4715 said:

I feel like that could absolutely happen, especially if Rey is Luke's kid (I don't think she is anymore) and she and Kylo are both Skywalkers. That makes the saber heirloom even more interesting because it represents the legacy and brings it into focus. What is the Skywalker legacy? Is it the fall of the Republic and destruction of the Jedi? Or the destruction of the Sith and the restoration of the Order?

Rey and Kylo grappling for that saber would be an apt metaphor.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

It might. It might not.

Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

CJS4715 said:

I feel like that could absolutely happen, especially if Rey is Luke's kid (I don't think she is anymore) and she and Kylo are both Skywalkers. That makes the saber heirloom even more interesting because it represents the legacy and brings it into focus. What is the Skywalker legacy? Is it the fall of the Republic and destruction of the Jedi? Or the destruction of the Sith and the restoration of the Order?

Couldn't Palps still accomplish the destruction of the Jedi without little Annie? He would have killed Mace anyway. Maybe Yodi, Obi, and Annie could have taken him, maybe not, but Order 66 would still have murdered 99% of the Jedi.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

Says who?

That's like saying "Killing Han doesn't make the movie better."

Let them tell the story they want to tell.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

I tend to agree, but what would it really accomplish, anyway? What is the theme of TLJ going to be?

I think the theme will be, "Are the Jedi worth saving?" or maybe more pointedly, "Do the Jedi deserve to be saved?" You might just put a question mark on the end of the title, The Last Jedi?

I think this will all hinge on Rey. When she discovers whatever secret Luke is hiding about the Jedi, Kylo, her parents, etc., she doesn't have to turn to the Dark Side to destroy the Jedi. She just has to walk away from it. So a turn against the light doesn't really accomplish much.

I think it's more likely that the movie actually revolves around the First Order - Resistance conflict and the Jedi remain the piece unplayed on the board with Luke hesitant to tip the scales for fear of making things worse. Rey's role is resorting Luke's faith that he shouldn't be the last Jedi. With that done, they re-enter the fight in a big way and set up the final conflict in Ep 9.
AliasMan02
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AliasMan02 said:

CJS4715 said:

Couldn't Palps still accomplish the destruction of the Jedi without little Annie? He would have killed Mace anyway. Maybe Yodi, Obi, and Annie could have taken him, maybe not, but Order 66 would still have murdered 99% of the Jedi.

Whether he was instrumental in the defeat of the Jedi or not, he seemed instrumental in hunting down the remnant. And losing Anakin was a huge psychological and philosophical blow to the Jedi.
TCTTS
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TCTTS said:

The reality of the situation is that Star Wars is more than a movie. It's a business, a franchise. And merchandise $$$ > box office $$$.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TCTTS said:

Lmao. In this day and age........come on.

The WHITE guys are the bad guys. ALWAYS!!!!

the woman the black guy and the slightly ethnic guy are not going bad. Plus cute robots and aliens. Some aliens can go bad of course. And people wearing helmets that you can't stereotype.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think we all understand that it is not a great business decision - hence why it would be a ballsy move.

If JJ really wanted to throw everyone for a loop after the reaction to TFA, it'd be the perfect way to do it. (Not that I think that alone is a good enough reason to do it.)

That said, I hope they don't go the route of having Rey be "grey" in a will she / won't she kind of way, only for her to ultimately choose to go light/dark at the end of the trilogy.

If she's going to turn, have her do it either at the end of TLJ or beginning of Ep IX, and have her go full baddie for a full movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Is it sexist to make her the villain?

Or is it sexist to NOT EVEN CONSIDER her for the villain?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

CJS4715 said:

And in their struggle, they destroy the lightsaber as another metaphor that there is a 3rd path.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

I tend to agree, but what would it really accomplish, anyway? What is the theme of TLJ going to be?

I think the theme will be, "Are the Jedi worth saving?" or maybe more pointedly, "Do the Jedi deserve to be saved?" You might just put a question mark on the end of the title, The Last Jedi?

I think this will all hinge on Rey. When she discovers whatever secret Luke is hiding about the Jedi, Kylo, her parents, etc., she doesn't have to turn to the Dark Side to destroy the Jedi. She just has to walk away from it. So a turn against the light doesn't really accomplish much.

I think it's more likely that the movie actually revolves around the First Order - Resistance conflict and the Jedi remain the piece unplayed on the board with Luke hesitant to tip the scales for fear of making things worse. Rey's role is resorting Luke's faith that he shouldn't be the last Jedi. With that done, they re-enter the fight in a big way and set up the final conflict in Ep 9.
One thing I know for certain... Rey will have a vision of her friends in trouble and feel compelled to go to them. Luke will warn her against it. There will be some double-meaning phrases with Force-Ghost Obi-Wan Kenobi about family and being different and an insinuation that she is related to someone (it will turn out to be someone else in the end). She will rush out to confront Kylo - he will reveal her parentage and cut off her hand to tack back the light-blue lightsaber.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

He mentions Cumberbatch:

jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Is it sexist to make her the villain?

Or is it sexist to NOT EVEN CONSIDER her for the villain?

Even asking the question is sexist!!!

And now I'm sexist for responding to it. Great, thanks for nothing man!!!
TCTTS
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 617 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.