Star Wars Discussion Thread

3,106,948 Views | 29850 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by redline248
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Couldn't Palps still accomplish the destruction of the Jedi without little Annie? He would have killed Mace anyway. Maybe Yodi, Obi, and Annie could have taken him, maybe not, but Order 66 would still have murdered 99% of the Jedi.


Looks to me like Mace beat Palps, going for the kill slash, and then that punk Anakin stopped it. Of course, if the Aggies had actually coached in the second half in LA, if any number of plays had gone A&M's way, we'd be 3-0 and feeling pretty good about things...
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks to me just like the other three Jedi there were completely worthless...
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saul Goodman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan, and I can't decide if I'm excited or not for the Han Solo movie. I'm sure they'll do it in a creative way, but it just seems...small, if that's the right word.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I honestly am not as excited about it as I was for Rogue One. If anything, it'll be cool to see the Falcon and Chewy. I'm hopeful the guy playing Han has at least as much success as Chris Pine did playing a young Kirk.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We already hit the Kessel Run nostalgia button in TFA.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's like, how can we hit the Han Solo check list?

Imperial academy?
Meet Chewy?
Win the Falcon from Lando?
Kessel Run?
Jabba's smuggling job and dump cargo when boarded?
End the movie landing in Mos Eisley?
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't forgot rumors of a Boba Fett role/cameo as well. I'm usually super cynical when it comes to stuff like this, but honestly, that sounds like a legit AWESOME movie.
dromo07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CGI Ben and Luke in the cantina?
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Don't forgot rumors of a Boba Fett role/cameo as well. I'm usually super cynical when it comes to stuff like this, but honestly, that sounds like a legit AWESOME movie.
Yep. Hit the known high points/canon and make a great movie out of it. Nail the Star Wars Universe like Edwards did with R1 and it's a hit. I am more excited for this than TLJ.

Also, knowing Emilia Clarke is the love interest already has my nerd boner hitting 12 parsecs

redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Funny, my post was intended as a sarcastic take on how it's probably going to be unoriginal and a "wouldn't it be cool to see....." fanboy pleaser.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, I never was sure (still not) if Fett and Solo were supposed to have crossed paths prior to Empire in old canon...or in new canon. Always seemed dumb to me.
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only sure prediction I can make is that some people will love it and some people will hate it, because the things some people enjoy about Star Wars are the things some people hate about Star Wars.

Like the Boba Fett cameo. I personally don't know why anyone would be interested to see that guy in a movie ever again. Haven't we learned that there is such a thing as too much Boba Fett, and George Lucas crossed that line in 2002? But that's just me.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buck Compton said:

Looks to me just like the other three Jedi there were completely worthless...
Worthless they were.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was clear, and I totally agree with you.

I'm just not excited for this movie. They're hitting checkboxes of things that have been referenced about Han's backstory, but do we really need to see any of it? We know who Han is at the start of ANH, I doubt this movie is going to change that perception. (Not to mention there is no Han without Harrison.)

Obi-Wan, on the other hand...
Saul Goodman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This. I'm way more excited for a Obi Wan movie.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

It's like, how can we hit the Han Solo check list?

Imperial academy?
Meet Chewy?
Win the Falcon from Lando?
Kessel Run?
Jabba's smuggling job and dump cargo when boarded?
End the movie landing in Mos Eisley?

I just hope he doesn't have much of a character arc.... solo is supposed to be a scoundrel who's character changes for the better over episodes 4-6 mainly due to Leia.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

am more excited for this than TLJ.



I'm not sure how this is possible.
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

Quote:

am more excited for this than TLJ.



I'm not sure how this is possible.
It's probably not a popular opinion on this thread but I have always been more of a fan of the "universe" than the Skywalker story. TFA only made that all the more. My opinion of TFA is only getting worse as time goes by. I find it to be a slightly better than mediocre film that was only saved by Ford's presence and Daisy's Rey, IMO. The complete lack of originality in creating a new story seems like a burden they will not be able to overcome in 8 and 9. Finn and Po are extremely uninteresting characters. Hux and Snoke are lame. Phasma was a marketing ploy for another strong female character. And I just can't stand Kylo Ren. And it's not so much that it's emo Vader but moreso that's it's a watered down Vader that is almost surely going to turn back to the light and be redeemed after spending years as a psychotic mass murderer. All of that comes back in TLJ.

We make jokes about TLJ mirroring ESB but you can see it coming. Rey training with Luke. The Resistance getting it's ass kicked. Almost a certainty that Rey leaves her training to help her friends. Hell, even in the teaser we see walkers attacking a rebel base and small aircraft racing out to intercept them. Cool, sure. But....uh.....yeah.

Anyway, didn't say I wasn't excited for TLJ, I am. But I think they have painted themselves in to a corner by nearly completely re-telling a ANH. I hope I am wrong and I certainly may be. Regardless, I just find more allure to new stories being told in the Star Wars Universe (even if utilizing existing canon and characters) then I do to a modernized re-telling of the Skywalker story.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In my opinion, there is zero chance Kylo is redeemed.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kylo is the savior. He may not be the last Jedi (Luke), but he will end the evil that is Snoke & Rey.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
0% chance
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, I love Kylo Ren as a character.


I'm not going to spend time trying to debate the finer points of TFA, but Abrams was asked to create new characters, highlight old ones, create a commercially viable film that would drive interest for the remainder of the trilogy and several one off films, and try to not piss off everyone in the process. I think TFA is ok. I think the characters are ok, and there is plenty of direction to take them on an original path.

I think VIII will feel like Empire, because it is the middle act. I doubt it will be the same. Will Luke be the same as Yoda? As certain in himself and his doctrine? Just because there is training doesn't make this the same story. Just because there are walkers or a ground assault in a war film doesn't make this Empire. I really think we will be alright. When I hear the cast talking about this film being surprising or fresh, I choose to believe it isn't just marketing, and that they have something here that is not just a retread of the past.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Urban Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

Quote:

am more excited for this than TLJ.



I'm not sure how this is possible.
It's probably not a popular opinion on this thread but I have always been more of a fan of the "universe" than the Skywalker story. TFA only made that all the more. My opinion of TFA is only getting worse as time goes by. I find it to be a slightly better than mediocre film that was only saved by Ford's presence and Daisy's Rey, IMO. The complete lack of originality in creating a new story seems like a burden they will not be able to overcome in 8 and 9. Finn and Po are extremely uninteresting characters. Hux and Snoke are lame. Phasma was a marketing ploy for another strong female character. And I just can't stand Kylo Ren. And it's not so much that it's emo Vader but moreso that's it's a watered down Vader that is almost surely going to turn back to the light and be redeemed after spending years as a psychotic mass murderer. All of that comes back in TLJ.

We make jokes about TLJ mirroring ESB but you can see it coming. Rey training with Luke. The Resistance getting it's ass kicked. Almost a certainty that Rey leaves her training to help her friends. Hell, even in the teaser we see walkers attacking a rebel base and small aircraft racing out to intercept them. Cool, sure. But....uh.....yeah.

Anyway, didn't say I wasn't excited for TLJ, I am. But I think they have painted themselves in to a corner by nearly completely re-telling a ANH. I hope I am wrong and I certainly may be. Regardless, I just find more allure to new stories being told in the Star Wars Universe (even if utilizing existing canon and characters) then I do to a modernized re-telling of the Skywalker story.
Sadly, I find myself in agreement with every word of your last two paragraphs, and much of the first.
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:


Don't do it.... keep some things a mystery on the how... jesus
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For me, the Kessel Run is one of those things I don't have an opinion about if they should or should not do it - it's going to come down to the execution. If they do it well, awesome. If it's stupid (Boba Fett in the prequels) it's going to look like really stupid nostalgia. But if it is well executed, I'm going to be annoyed by all those complaining about how it's just nostalgia.

I think a good comparison would be the Kobayashi Maru In 2009's Star Trek. Did it need to be in the film? No, but it was fun to see
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

For me, the Kessel Run is one of those things I don't have an opinion about if they should or should not do it - it's going to come down to the execution. If they do it well, awesome. If it's stupid (Boba Fett in the prequels) it's going to look like really stupid nostalgia. But if it is well executed, I'm going to be annoyed by all those complaining about how it's just nostalgia.

I think a good comparison would be the Kobayashi Maru In 2009's Star Trek. Did it need to be in the film? No, but it was fun to see

that was exactly my thought and comparison....immediately thought of the ST reboot. they did that well.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hard to argue with your thoughts here.

BTW, folks thinking Rey is going to be evil are completely out of touch with society right now. It's comical to think they would make her evil.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They're trying to top Empire. The biggest plot twist of all time. This is the only way. Rey Palpatine will take her rightful spot as the dark lord.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished Leia. The climax was a little meh, but overall Claudia Gray writes some really solid Star Wars books. It's not as good as Bloodline, but she single handily turned me into a Leia fan. Outside of the golden bikini I didn't care too much for her.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

They're trying to top Empire. The biggest plot twist of all time. This is the only way. Rey Palpatine will take her rightful spot as the dark lord.


If the goal is to "top Empire" they already screwed themselves.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed 100%.

But I have a lot of faith in Rian Johnson. Maybe more than he's earned up to this point, but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for Ozymandias alone.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

They're trying to top Empire. The biggest plot twist of all time. This is the only way. Rey Palpatine will take her rightful spot as the dark lord.


If the goal is to "top Empire" they already screwed themselves.
Pretty much no movie is toping Empire, but you have to imagine that is the goal. We need some major conflict that has to be settled in the 3rd film. We need some big twist and probably a major death too.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They can't kill Luke.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

They can't kill Luke.
Of course! Han and Luke are 100% off limits... oh wait...
Page 618 of 853
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.