Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,032 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggie1906 said:

The red to show there is evil in everyone. That is why the Jedi must end. It set a standard that was unable to be kept which lead to the rise of the sith & dark side.

Agreed. But, it is going to be risky for those wishing to do good. Don't you think? I'm sure that this will be explored.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The Collective
AG
More hype to Mark's work in TLJ. Really looking forward to it. I've said it before, but I'm happy that the reboot of Star Wars has given Mark the attention and accolades that he deserves.
SeattleAgJr
SpreadsheetAg said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Enough of the stupid flirting with the Dark Side crap in al of the Star Wars lore.

If it is that easy to fall prey to the Dark Side, it is a good thing the Jedi Knights were wiped out and should be prevented from being reestablished.

I hope they do not go this route with even a temporary flirtation of this tired clich e.
If the premise is that there originally was no light and dark, then the "dark side" must be embraced within the force teachings to counterbalance the light, yes?
no. on what basis do you come up with that?
AliasMan02
AG
The Dark Side is not an aspect of the Force. It is a distinct esoteric phenomenon. Related? Yes. But it's not two sides of the same coin. The Light is created by all life. The Dark eminates from a single, unknown source.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Source?
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Source?
Some of the garbage referenced in Aftermath.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Source?

Various. The Clone Wars stuff that I'm sure you're familiar with for the Light Side stuff. Tarkin and Aftermath mostly for the Dark Side stuff. That is at least the Dark Side as understood by Palpatine, a belief that is reinforced by Snoke's origin from within the Unknown Regions (where Palps believed the Dark Side to originate). The fact that Dark Siders can't become immortal as part of the Living Force also reinforces the idea that the Light and Dark are distinct.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be honest, that goes entirely against my understanding of the nature of the light and dark side. But interesting if so.

Kind of crazy this kind of stuff can still be debated 40 years after it was created.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll be honest, that goes entirely against my understanding of the nature of the light and dark side. But interesting if so.

Kind of crazy this kind of stuff can still be debated 40 years after it was created.
In practice, it seems the classical understanding from the OT is pretty much unchanged. People who are Force Sensitive are sensitive to both Light and Dark. The Dark Side actively seeks to corrupt Light Siders (novelizations of RotJ and TFA are the strongest examples, when the Dark Side actively tempts Luke and Rey, respectively). Most of the abilities are the same (telekinesis, telepathy, farsight) some are exclusive to Dark Siders (Force lightning), some are exclusive to Light Siders (Force ghost, and Vader says that the "mind trick" is not a power of the Dark Side, but that seems iffy to me), and some are on the spectrum but lean one way or the other (Force choke).

The difference comes down to origin. If the Cosmic Force (which is what people are talking about when they just refer to "The Force") is the energy field created by life that binds the universe together, and the Living Force is the sort of higher plane of the Light Side, then it makes sense that the Dark Side is a corruption by one or both of those things.

Then there's the question of the beings "in the middle" like Bendu or Father. Do they just draw on the Cosmic Force but not the Living Force or the Dark Side? Do they draw from all aspects of the Force?

The canon of what the Force actually is is really murky. However, I believe that the answer to that question is going to be set up by TLJ, and be answered in Episode IX (with a lot of fallout to the revelation).
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02 said:

In practice, it seems the classical understanding from the OT is pretty much unchanged. People who are Force Sensitive are sensitive to both Light and Dark. The Dark Side actively seeks to corrupt Light Siders (novelizations of RotJ and TFA are the strongest examples, when the Dark Side actively tempts Luke and Rey, respectively). Most of the abilities are the same (telekinesis, telepathy, farsight) some are exclusive to Dark Siders (Force lightning), some are exclusive to Light Siders (Force ghost, and Vader says that the "mind trick" is not a power of the Dark Side, but that seems iffy to me), and some are on the spectrum but lean one way or the other (Force choke).

The difference comes down to origin. If the Cosmic Force (which is what people are talking about when they just refer to "The Force") is the energy field created by life that binds the universe together, and the Living Force is the sort of higher plane of the Light Side, then it makes sense that the Dark Side is a corruption by one or both of those things.

Then there's the question of the beings "in the middle" like Bendu or Father. Do they just draw on the Cosmic Force but not the Living Force or the Dark Side? Do they draw from all aspects of the Force?

The canon of what the Force actually is is really murky. However, I believe that the answer to that question is going to be set up by TLJ, and be answered in Episode IX (with a lot of fallout to the revelation).

Urban Ag
AG
I really, really, doubt that Rey turns to the dark side. I think allowing her to flirt with it when she is enraged and letting herself go to destroy her enemies but ultimately I can not see the execs signing off of Rey going dark. I like that Disney has had the backbone to do things like let the Rogue One team die, it was a risk, and it worked. But I can't sweet little Rey being allowed to really turn ala Anakin.
YouBet
AG
There is no way they will let Rey go to the dark side. They've already played that end game with Anakin. At most, she flirts with it but there is probably an excellent chance that she is the character that brings balance to the force as previously explored with Anakin.

Not Anakin, not Luke, but her. It would also play into current politics (sorry for the politics infusion).
Sex Panther
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

AliasMan02
AG
I told you the canon is murky.
Ulrich
That's different than what the legends stories said, which may be part of the confusion. While there were places that were strong in the dark, light, or force in general, by the NJO dark and light were two aspects of something bigger.
redline248
AG
From someone who had not read as much of the material as Alias, I always thought the dark side was just what happened when a force user bent the force to his or her desires, rather than letting the force be the thing guiding the actions. So, it was the user corrupting the force, and not the other way around.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Source?
Some of the garbage referenced in Aftermath.
It's also referenced in the Palpatine cahpters in Tarkin (I'm reading them now)...

Palpatine is talking about the Sith shrine located underneath the Jedi Temple. The Jedi, when they eradicated the Sith empire thousands of years before, thought that by building a Jedi Temple on top of the Sith shrine, it would negate any power or future influence of the Dark Side there. However, the Dark force seeped out of the Shrine to slowly influence and twist the Jedi Temple decisions above.

Palpy is reminiscing about the days he and Plageus spent there fixated on the origins of the Dark Side, emanating from some source in the Unknown Regions. Palpy believes that if he and Vader can find the source, they will live & rule for 10,000 years
IIRC

I am in the middle of the audiobook and this was about 40% of the way through?...
Flashdiaz
AG
redline248 said:

From someone who had not read as much of the material as Alias, I always thought the dark side was just what happened when a force user bent the force to his or her desires, rather than letting the force be the thing guiding the actions. So, it was the user corrupting the force, and not the other way around.
this is exactly my interpretation of it. Explains that 'light' and 'dark' happen as part of the normal process of the force. But to alter it for personal gain is considered 'dark' because it manipulates the force.

So maybe the converse of Jedi using the force to manipulate the force for good is still a manipulation of the force. Perhaps the Jedi were too proactive and too justified in their use of the force and should have just let the force guide them.... like Chirrut Imwe.

.... after writing this, perhaps I should put as much thought into my real spirituality lol.
TCTTS
AG
wangus12
AG
Zemira
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

YouBet said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

R

Not loving that poster, I'll be honest.

Doesn't quite feel like Star Wars to me.
Gut reaction:

Red Riding Hood, or
That recent Handmaidens Tale that's all abuzz in the female apocalyptic genre
M night shyamalan The Village

I'm a bit late but my gut reaction was Harry Potter Cape and wand imagery with that photo and I'm not big into Harry Potter.
NColoradoAG
Ag Since 83
AG
Slave One set? That's a cool one but not one of my favorites. Given the odd shape parts of it are kind of tricky to work on when you can't just lay it down flat
Jason Ag
AG
Sorry if already posted. Not much makes me laugh these days, but this did. I had also just watched Moana (this is a parody of The Rock's song "You're Welcome" in Moana).

redline248
AG
Quote:

Not much makes me laugh these days...
Is this your favorite beer?

Farmer1906
AG
Anyone who has a young girl and is nerdy enough to read this thread is going to really appreciate that.
Belton Ag
AG
aggie1906 said:

Anyone who has a young girl and is nerdy enough to read this thread is going to really appreciate that.
Check and check.
Jason Ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

aggie1906 said:

Check and check.

I have two daughters, I'm out numbered 3:1. I'm surrounded by pink and barbies. Maybe I have finally went over the edge.
Belton Ag
AG
oldarmyag08 said:

Belton Ag said:

aggie1906 said:

Check and check.

I have two daughters, I'm out numbered 3:1. I'm surrounded by pink and barbies. Maybe I have finally went over the edge.
Me too! Two daughters. Hell even the dog is a female. I feel you, bro.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

oldarmyag08 said:

Belton Ag said:

aggie1906 said:

Check and check.

Me too! Two daughters. Hell even the dog is a female. I feel you, bro.
Me three... wife, 2 girls, girl dog.... FML
Farmer1906
AG
I'm the club too. 2 daughters. Female dog.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
my house is very balanced.....but still crazy.

1 male and 1 female parent
1 male and 1 female kid (22 and 19)
1 male and 1 female cat (6 and 5)
1 male and 1 female golden retriever that are brother and sister (11 months)

4 bathrooms thankfully.

israeliag
AG
They did it:
http://nerdist.com/ron-howard-han-solo-star-wars-arrested-development/
TCTTS
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 606 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.