Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,742 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool little personal Star Wars story from last night. I was watching the episode where Pre Vizla introduces himself as from the Clan Vizla. I wondered if that was some Aggie or group of Aggies who were on the show refereeing the Vizlab program that I know is big in computer animation.

I have a friend from the dorms that I know got his masters through there and works in animation somewhere. We're Facebook friends but I haven't seen him in 20+ years. So I go to send him a message and scrolling back through our conversations dating back to 2009 (mostly about beer) I find that he worked on Clone Wars at LucasArts. Thankfully he was still online late at night so I best him down with a few questions and takes.

And to answer my question about Pre Vizla it actually came from George and a referencing to the Pre Viz stage of storyboard ing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Cool little personal Star Wars story from last night. I was watching the episode where Pre Vizla introduces himself as from the Clan Vizla. I wondered if that was some Aggie or group of Aggies who were on the show refereeing the Vizlab program that I know is big in computer animation.

I have a friend from the dorms that I know got his masters through there and works in animation somewhere. We're Facebook friends but I haven't seen him in 20+ years. So I go to send him a message and scrolling back through our conversations dating back to 2009 (mostly about beer) I find that he worked on Clone Wars at LucasArts. Thankfully he was still online late at night so I best him down with a few questions and takes.

And to answer my question about Pre Vizla it actually came from George and a referencing to the Pre Viz stage of storyboard ing.
Is it OK if I forward you a list of 30,000 questions I'd like to ask him?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
2021 brings the High Republic to Star Wars fans - which I still think should have been written by James Franco and Seth Rogen. Regardless, it's set 200 years ago which means lots of Jedi, and today the official site confirmed this means the return of our favorite little green friend.

https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-yoda
ChipFTAC01
AG
Middle aged Yoda with the side eye looks like he's got a lot of Sam Jackson in him.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

2021 brings the High Republic to Star Wars fans - which I still think should have been written by James Franco and Seth Rogen. Regardless, it's set 200 years ago which means lots of Jedi, and today the official site confirmed this means the return of our favorite little green friend.

He looks a little like a long-eared green Samuel L Jackson...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Jesus...how much ass is SLJ Yoda gonna kick, when 900 year-old Yoda was kicking Dooku's ass up and down the hangar?

Wait, I cannot.

jokershady
AG
Is anyone else re-watching Mando S1? 4 episodes in so far so this coming Sunday will be the WEAKEST episode of the first season with the rookie bounty hunter in mos isley
Decay
AG
jokershady said:

Is anyone else re-watching Mando S1? 4 episodes in so far so this coming Sunday will be the WEAKEST episode of the first season with the rookie bounty hunter in mos isley
It gave us this though
BoydCrowder13
John Boyega ripping into Star Wars again. Pretty funny.
Ag Since 83
AG
Dro07
AG
he mad that the story wasnt more about him?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You could've just linked the story.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/john-boyega-interview-2020
RebAg13
AG
dromo07 said:

That is what I hear
YouBet
AG
RebAg13 said:

dromo07 said:

That is what I hear
I think his complaint is fair, but I don't think it has anything to do with race. This whole trilogy was bungled due to having no overarching story framework as documented hundreds of times on here and elsewhere. When you don't have a cohesive story stuff like this happens.
TXAG 05
AG
Most of the article is about other stuff, but he thinks that Ridley and Driver got the most a screen time because they are white and not because they were the 2 main characters.

He also said there were people who said they were going to boycott Force Awakens because he was in it. Not saying it didn't happen, but I don't remember any of that.
gougler08
AG
Of course it's a race thing...

redline248
AG
Nobody who waited so long for Star Wars boycotted Force Awakens bc it had a black stormtrooper (or any other reason)

If he wants to be mad at anyone it should be Rian Johnson for making his character a big, dumb, useless dolt.
The Collective
AG
Everyone and their dog saw TFA...
bluefire579
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Most of the article is about other stuff, but he thinks that Ridley and Driver got the most a screen time because they are white and not because they were the 2 main characters.

He also said there were people who said they were going to boycott Force Awakens because he was in it. Not saying it didn't happen, but I don't remember any of that.
Seems to have been a hashtag started by trolls that caused a larger amount of outrage: https://www.vox.com/2015/10/19/9571309/star-wars-boycott

Glancing at the articles written about it, the controversy seemed no bigger than any clickbait article about "X GROUP BELIEVES THIS" that so many people buy into that ends up only being about half a dozen cherry picked tweets.
The Collective
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

We getting a trailer soon or what?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Agreed. That was a very long article, eventually I just skimmed for Star Wars related stuff.

His complaint that only Daisy and Driver were given nuanced characters is kind of weak. Them 2 had to be the most covered based on the weak story arch of the ST, and the others were all pushed aside completely because of story. Poe, Tran, and Boyega should really be mad at Rian. Boyega's arch would've been much more impactful if he died at the end of TLJ rather than being saved by Tran, in my opinion.

It seemed that one complaint he has was that the crew they had for setting them up in media interactions and marketing wasn't the best at working with his hair, or didn't approve of all the clothes? It was weird to discern, I didn't like the writing style of this article much.

Anyways, I wonder how often actors or actresses are told yes or no to certain outfits for media interactions in association with movies. He seemed to dress like Cam Newton for this GQ bit, maybe Disney wanted a more conservative approach? Is that really race-related though?
twilly
AG
I Have Spoken said:

Ag Since 83 said:

We getting a trailer soon or what?

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Saxsoon
AG
dromo07 said:

I think based on what I was reading, it is a combination of the messaging he received from racist *******s and more nuance given to the white actors (actual or perceived). It isn't a stretch to see how he was set up in TFA and see how he ends and not see how Boyega would be upset.

I was more interested in the line about him telling people to lay off JJ Abrams because he wasn't supposed to come back and had to fix the mess.
YouBet
AG
Saxsoon said:

dromo07 said:

I think based on what I was reading, it is a combination of the messaging he received from racist *******s and more nuance given to the white actors (actual or perceived). It isn't a stretch to see how he was set up in TFA and see how he ends and not see how Boyega would be upset.

I was more interested in the line about him telling people to lay off JJ Abrams because he wasn't supposed to come back and had to fix the mess.
Part of my point. I can understand him being upset, but it has nothing to do with him being black.

There was no vision for this trilogy. His and others story arcs going astray is a natural outcome of that.

Luke's character was mishandled as well. As routinely commented on by Hamill Himself.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be quite honest, every actor had a right to complain about their arcs, especially in TLJ.

That said, I think his particular complaint that his story suffered due to his race, is a little weak, and there is really no evidence to support it. RJ ruined Luke, Rey, and plenty of other things in his movie.

I think he is conflating the fan rage that he saw online (from a few trolls), with the stuff going on in the world now, whether subconciously or not, and he is angry about it.

But directing that anger towards Disney, or JJ Abrams, or anyone else at Lucasfilm, again, seems a bit weak to me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My advice for every actor of all-time is: If you don't like the character, don't take the ****ing job. Nobody held a gun to John Boyega's head and demanded he be in Star Wars.
The Collective
AG
If anyone should be pissed, it is Andy Serkis.
Quad Dog
AG
I always thought Finn's character was the worst served. The early TFA trailers focused on him a lot, especially him using a light saber. He's even holding a light saber in the poster. But his force sensitivity, light saber use, and all the stuff Maz said about his eyes, etc. never went anywhere. At the end of the third movie he should have at least been a force sensitive hero helping other former Storm Troopers get rid of the their brainwashing.

But he's not the only one complaing abotu the sequels imapcting their future careers.
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-08-27/star-wars-daisy-ridley-offers-stopped/#:~:text=Rise%20of%20Skywalker-,Star%20Wars'%20Daisy%20Ridley%20reveals%20the%20offers%20stopped%20after%20The,t%20get%20one%20of%20them.&text=Ridley%2C%2028%2C%20told%20EW%20that,%E2%80%9Cnothing%20was%20coming%20through%E2%80%9D.

Quote:

Star Wars actress Daisy Ridley reveals that for a time after The Rise of Skywalker came out last December she couldn't catch a cold: "There were loads of things I auditioned for and I didn't get any of them".
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Dear Daisy,

No *****

Sincerely, Mark and Hayden
TCTTS
AG
I swear, the people on this board who constantly roll their eyes at black people complaining about race ALWAYS leave out key context or broadly/purposefully paint them as simply trying to incite sh*t, allude (or outright say) that they should just get over it, etc.

But this is what Boyega actually said...

Quote:

"You get yourself involved in projects and you're not necessarily going to like everything. [But] what I would say to Disney is do not bring out a black character, market them to be much more important in the franchise than they are and then have them pushed to the side. It's not good. I'll say it straight up."

Disney 100% used Boyega's race to virtue signal and say "Look what we've done! We've cast a black man in the lead of a Star Wars movie!" - only to eventually push his character off to the side, both by the end of TFA, and especially in its two sequels. Remember, Boyega was not only the first actor shown/focused on in the very first teaser trailer for the sequels, he was talked about and marketed as being much more central than he really was (see Quad Dog's post above for a good chunk of that). And it was all based on his race in a self-congratulatory, "Yes, went there! A black Stormtrooper!" kind of way.

So he's not simply complaining that he got pushed aside because he's black. He's complaining that Disney USED his race as a marketing tool, painting his character as more important than he really was in doing so, and THEN swept him aside. Which is a very different thing, and shouldn't at all warrant the eye-roll memes or any of the other usual F16 bullsh*t. If I were in his shoes, I'd be just as pissed, and have every right to be, especially when the final result was the two white cast members ending up as the two *true* leads, while every primary character who wasn't white was heavily sidelined at times, sometimes in ridiculous, "We have no idea what to do with this character" fashion.

Granted, as Spilner said, *every* primary actor in the sequel trilogy has a right to complain. They *all* got short-changed because Kennedy, Abrams & co had no clue what they were doing, which we've been over ad nauseam. And while that's a huge part of this, it doesn't take away from the fact that Boyega was, in fact, front and center in the beginning - his race being a big part of that - and was then pushed to the side. I just can't imagine reading that article and coming to the conclusion that Boyega is simply trying to be an instigator or not feeling empathy for the guy. He got his dream shot, was clearly told he was going to be way more central to the sequel trilogy than he eventually was, all while Disney publicly patted themselves on the back for casting a black guy... but then just kind of shrugged their shoulders after the fact, when they really didn't have much for him to do. It was a sh*t deal, and Boyega's feelings are absolutely justified.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
PLEASE NOTE MY WINKY FACE EMOTICON INDICATING I AM BEING TONGUE IN CHEEK / SARCASTIC.

He got to be in 3 Star Wars movies, have scenes with Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Benicio del Toro, and Peter Mayhew. He got to fight with a lightsaber twice, control the bottom turret on the Falcon twice, ride not one but TWO different space horses, be part of 3 prison breakouts, and kill Brienne of Tarth. How can you complain about that?
Mr. White
Maybe he got pushed to the side because people didn't like his weird, hyper-manic performance.

"REEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
TCTTS
AG
If anyone complained about that, they were part of an incredibly small minority.
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Dear Daisy,

No *****

Sincerely, Mark and Hayden
Ha!
The Collective
AG
Did Boyega really get pushed to the side in TLJ? He was on the screen a ton in that film.
First Page Last Page
Page 968 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.