Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,907 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What the hell is EU?

This talk about Darth Maul and him returning... isn't this like 50 years after his first appearance? And I don't even remember him in the episodes 2-3. I thought he died in the first one?

Also, he never talked right? What was the deal with that?
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Revenge. Does the EU mention how long that race tends to live?

I would think getting chopped in half would put a big dent in his life expectancy.
benMath08
AG
EU means Extended Universe, aka all the books and other officially licensed material. There are different levels of canon that explain it in more detail if you're interested in looking it up.

Darth Maul being alive was the dumbest thing in the Clone Wars cartoon (except for that story arc where that miniature alien colonel led the droids on a mission).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Also, he never talked right? What was the deal with that?

A little. About as much as Boba Fett, probably. One of the things that made both of them so badass.
Sex Panther
AG
Thanks...

Ok so refresh my memory... What happened to him in ep 1 again? All I remember was he had that badass fight scene with Neesons when the doors kept coming down and he kept pacing and staring him down. He got chopped in half? But didn't die?
TCTTS
AG
^ Chopped in half and then fell - in two pieces - down that giant, cylindrical shaft. He apparently then came back somehow in that Clone Wars cartoon, which took place between Episode II and III. That's all I really know.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be honest, pretty sure Lucas intended him to be dead. But it's Star Wars, they can bring anyone back if they really wanted to. Probably more likely Boba Fett comes back than him.
Sex Panther
AG
Thanks
redline248
AG
BenMath is 100 percent right. Those were the dumbest things in that show.

I don't remember how they explained Maul being alive, but he first showed up with a mechanical spider's lower body. Hell bent on revenge with Kenobi. Probably won't see him in anything other than the final season of clone wars that will only be available on Netflix (unless it goes to DVD).

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 2/17/2014 12:07p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jack Reynor in talks to be in Ep VII. Never heard of the guy, all I know is he's Irish and is apparently the lead in Transformers 4.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/18/transformers-star-jack-reynor-in-talks-for-star-wars-episode-7-4308312/

After the Super Bowl teaser, it really seemed like Marky Mark was the lead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, prop makers are being contracted for 7 years.

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/02/star-wars-episode-7-model-makers-and.html#more

quote:
There's been a security clampdown in the prop shop at Pinewood Studios, but we now understand that work is afoot on building a full scale Millennium Falcon there. Furthermore, model makers are also building lightsaber hilts. This would tie into reports that the emphasis is going to be on practical, rather than computer effects wherever possible with future Star Wars films.

Also, we now understand that model makers on the Star Wars project are being recruited on up to seven year contracts, which cover three sequels and three spin-offs.
benMath08
AG
I wish my job was to build a full size Millennium Falcon
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
how bout a Han and Lando prequel spinoff? a buddy cop type movie telling the stories of their exploits together as smugglers with it culminating and ending in Lando's loss of the Falcon to Han? that would be kinda cool.
jeffk
AG
Call it "Lethal Weapon 6."
TCTTS
AG
quote:
how bout a Han and Lando prequel spinoff? a buddy cop type movie telling the stories of their exploits together as smugglers with it culminating and ending in Lando's loss of the Falcon to Han? that would be kinda cool.

I think this is basically what the Han Solo spinoff is supposed to be, actually.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Call it overly nostalgic (even though I didn't see the OT in full until I was a teenager), but I just can't be ok with anyone else playing Han Solo.

They might knock it out of the park with a young Harrison Ford type, but I'd still be very cautious before getting my hopes up.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 2/18/2014 12:29p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As for a title...Scoundrels?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
How about, "Dude, where's my YT1300 Light Freighter?"
Sex Panther
AG
"I'm gettin too old for this Sith"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
^
israeliag
AG
Blue parachutes to all!!!

quote:
Call it "Lethal Weapon 6."

quote:
As for a title...Scoundrels?

quote:
How about, "Dude, where's my YT1300 Light Freighter?"

quote:
"I'm gettin too old for this Sith"
YouBet
AG
quote:
This would tie into reports that the emphasis is going to be on practical, rather than computer effects wherever possible with future Star Wars films.

Possibly the best news of anything that has been released about these films.
double aught
AG
No doubt
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
Is that one actually real, or another of the hundreds of fan made?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fan made. Doubt we get anything real for a while.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Want to see much more Wedge, like the X-Wing novels.

Could go for more Wedge and a squadron of X-Wings kicking ass and less Ewoks and C3PO.
jlb2957
AG
Hmmm... I could see Joseph Gordon Levitt playing a young Han Solo if they are looking for a more established lead.
AliasMan02
AG
JGL would crush that role.
jlb2957
AG
JGL as Han would make this very prophetic...
http://youtu.be/8tJoIaXZ0rw
TCTTS
AG
Quick update, covering various aspects of casting + story, none of it all that encouraging, to be honest. Either way, this guy has been pretty reliable in the past...

http://marketsaw.blogspot.ie/2014/02/exclusive-source-update-on-star-wars.html#.Uwvg6vQiiem

Ian McDiarmid potentially coming back? I know that's been rumored before, but do we really need to see Palpatine ('s ghost) again? And does the story have to feature twins again as well? The twin aspect never really felt that prominent or important to me in the past. Yet, it feels like they're really trying to make the whole twin thing a major focus/theme this go-around. Seems like a weird aspect to resurrect/re-examine, but who knows. I guess I get how it could serve as an effective means to examine both sides of the Force.

I'm confident that, in the end, they'll get this thing right. There's too much at stake. But the idea of just about every major player from the originally trilogy not only coming back, but potentially being the MAIN focus again is kind of starting to worry me. I just really hope this isn't a case of Abrams wanting to play with all the old toys just because he can. We saw how much he wanted to be vintage Spielberg with Super 8. And it's starting to feel like now he wants to be vintage Lucas.

Next generation characters as the main focus, with the old characters somewhat in the background = potential greatness. Old characters as the main focus, with the new generation characters in the background = potential disaster. These guys better know what they're doing...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/24/2014 6:47p).]
I'm not the biggest fan of rehashing and the twins but I do have confidence in this team because I'm certain that they were horrified by the prequels and are scared to death to put out something that bad. They'll work their butts off to get it right.
TCTTS
AG
^ Agreed.
redline248
AG
I'm mostly in agreement here with TCTTS. Other than Luke running the new Jedi (if there are any) I don't care a whole lot about Han or Leia. Twins or no twins, I don't care. Palpatine coming back...I hate that idea (unless it's as some sort of flashback with Luke).

Who knows, maybe Han will try to make the Kessel Run again, be pulled into one of the black holes and travel back in time to meet adolescent Palpatine and kill him on the spot.
fig96
AG
quote:
We saw how much he wanted to be vintage Spielberg with Super 8. And it's starting to feel like now he wants to be vintage Lucas.

I do greatly prefer vintage Lucas to modern Lucas so that may not be an entirely bad thing.

I am curious to see how all this comes together, but as mentioned I have faith that they really want to do this right.
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.