Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,962 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1. Billy Dee Williams is still alive? Good for him. EDIT: just checked his imdb and he's actually been pretty busy. Lots of Star Wars parodies and sitcom guest appearances, but still.

2. I'm not sure if we're still allowed to mention EU stuff in this thread, but I'm going to anyway. The twin yin-yang concept is big in the EU, especially around the period this would be set. As ever, I'm not trying to fit this movie into the EU or stating that Disney is. However, it wouldn't shock me if they borrow a few things and this is a prominent plot line from the EU, so I doubt it's a complete coincidence. At the very least they must be aware of it.

3. I, too, am a little worried about the idea of bringing the old characters into the forefront. A concept wherein 1-2 of Luke, Leia, and Han are major characters, the rest of the old timers get a line or two each, and EpVII is used to "pass the torch" to the next generation would be pretty awesome, but I don't really want to watch Grumpy Old Men in Space.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 2/24/2014 11:29p).]
Red Five
AG
quote:
2. I'm not sure if we're still allowed to mention EU stuff in this thread, but I'm going to anyway. The twin yin-yang concept is big in the EU, especially around the period this would be set. As ever, I'm not trying to fit this movie into the EU or stating that Disney is. However, it wouldn't shock me if they borrow a few things and this is a prominent plot line from the EU, so I doubt it's a complete coincidence. At the very least they must be aware of it.
No way in hell they touch New Jedi Order, but twins were very big in that story arc.
AliasMan02
AG
It's easy to see how twins might be used in future Star Wars to show the divergent path of good and evil. Just seems like it could be a little bit lazy and convenient. A little Thor/Loki, even.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I wish they'd let Donald Faison (Turk from Scrubs) be in it. He's about the biggest SW celebrity fan there is. He should go on TV ala Sam Jackson 15 years ago and declare his desire to be in it.

Which of course, brings me to one of the greatest scenes from Scrubs ever.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BXEvmWbeC8
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
also in the camp of wanting Han, Luke, and Leia to have very minor roles in the new films.

as mentioned many times over the years and in various threads i hate hate hate Hollywood's infatuation with trying to tie new characters into old ones somehow ie..Jango Fet, or Jeremy Irons in Die Hard 3.
redline248
AG
Luke has to be the new Yoda. Even if it's for only 20 mins in the new movie or something...I think it's a must.
israeliag
AG
I can see Han having a small role, but Luke is going to have to have a critical role no? Maybe not lots of minutes on screen, but his character is pretty important. Leia would also be an important stateswoman I would think.
TCTTS
AG
Here. We. Go.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-villain-adam-driver-girls-1201121646/
TCTTS
AG
I'm all-in on Driver as the villain.

Ever since he was rumored for Batman/Superman a few months back, and then Star Wars shortly after, I've been watching this new season of Girls extra closely, and I think he's definitely got the chops. I know this sounds hyperbolic, but I think he's capable of a performance along the lines of Ledger in TDK. He's got that kind of "darkness" in him.

Sucks that this might affect his participation in season four of Girls, though, but it sounds like they may have worked that out.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/26/2014 2:35p).]
redline248
AG
Well, I don't know jack about this guy, but he should totally give Girls the finger if Star Wars wants him.

Also, I like Weaving, but I'm kind of glad he isn't the villain.

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 2/26/2014 2:35p).]
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Other inevitable memes:

- Something to do with Driver's "Outer! Space!" bit from Inside Llewyn Davis.

- Adam telling Hanna just this past week on Girls that he "got the role" after his audition.
TCTTS
AG
Jeff Sneider ‏@TheInSneider
And now that the dam is broken, expect A LOT more STAR WARS news in the coming weeks. Agents seem sick of holding this sh*t for Disney/JJ...
Sex Panther
AG
Love that casting. Kind of a risk, but I'm definitely intrigued.
TCTTS
AG
It's being rumored that this character was either somehow an apprentice to Palpatine, or maybe even Vader. I don't know exactly how that would work, but that's the current word...
TCTTS
AG
I also love how everyone's been asking and asking when actual news would hit, it finally does (in late February, which is when I said it would, I might add ), and in the hour since this broke, only TWO people have commented. I figured this news would start an instant wildfire in this thread. It's absolutely blowing up Twitter right now...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/26/2014 3:19p).]
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
also heard he's rumored to look exactly like Darth Vader? true?
TCTTS
AG
I seriously doubt it. They might take some cues from Vader's design, but that's probably it.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/26/2014 3:20p).]
Red Five
AG
I'm going to need to see a picture of him with blue skin and red eyes before I can make a judgement on the casting.
benMath08
AG
quote:
I also love how everyone's been asking and asking when actual news would hit, it finally does (in late February, which is when I said it would, I might add ), and in the hour since this broke, only TWO people have commented. I figured this news would start an instant wildfire in this thread. It's absolutely blowing up Twitter right now...

No EU, no care

[This message has been edited by benMath08 (edited 2/26/2014 3:27p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
No EU, no care
cone
AG
quote:
I'm all-in on Driver as the villain.

**** yes

he'll be awesome
redline248
AG
One thought: JJ is pretty notorious for misdirection, no? Could be trying to throw people off. Note the "no deal is done" language.
fig96
AG
Interesting. I don't know the actor but my wife watches Girls and says she can see him pulling off the villain.

The idea of him being another apprentice isn't entirely far fetched, we really only saw a small portion of the action going on in the universe during the original trilogy. It's certainly possible there were other Sith or apprentices around. It actually makes sense that Vader would have an apprentice.
redline248
AG
Vader did not have an apprentice. He was content to be the 2nd Sith until he discovered Luke. If Palpatine had found another he thought more worthy of being his apprentice than Vader, he would have orchestrated events so that person would kill and replace Vader. Like he did with Anakin/Dooku and he tried with Luke/Vader. He would not have hid him off somewhere.

I personally don't like the idea of there being any other Sith out there, flies against "always two there are" from episode 1. I'd be ok with someone who worked for Palpatine finding some sort of Sith relic and training a force user.
fig96
AG
Doesn't that sort of ignore the fact that Dooku had Ventress?
redline248
AG
Ventress was never a full apprentice, she was always begging him to teach her how to be a Sith and he wouldn't do it.
TCTTS
AG
Who/what is Ventress?
redline248
AG
Clone Wars cartoon character.
redline248
AG
Ultimately, the cartoons may have no more impact on the new movies than any of the books/video games under the Star Wars name. Ventress probably doesn't count for squat.
Saxsoon
AG
Could be this broke during the work day?

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 2/26/2014 5:18p).]
fig96
AG
quote:
Ventress was never a full apprentice, she was always begging him to teach her how to be a Sith and he wouldn't do it.

I realize, my point is that there may very well have been other characters with Force access/training around that can play into the upcoming films. We only saw a small part of the time period that all these films covered.

TCTTS, Ventress was kinda a badass, really interesting character from the Clone Wars who trained under Dooku. Clip from the original 2d Clone Wars series here.

[This message has been edited by fig96 (edited 2/26/2014 5:32p).]
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha, thanks.
jabberwalkie09
AG
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/02/adam-driver-set-for-vader-esque-villain.html

Star Wars has cast it's villain...
redline248
AG
Correction, star wars may have cast the villain. Also, you're a few hours late on this discussion.
First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.