Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,112 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, all of those Greeks were having leftist wet dreams too.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I really hope Mandalorian has that gritty "Game of Thrones" or "Batman / Dark Knight" feel to it. The cleanliness of the Prequals and TLJ are at odds with the appetite in modern cinema for "realism" ... and yes I know it's sci-fi but I mean realism as in feasibility and "what would this really be like..."

These movies should have been much dirtier (probably not bloody because it's family oriented after all) but cuts, scrapes, burn marks, sweat, battered armor, torn clothes, broken things, and "no one is safe" kind of story telling.
JCRiley09
AG
Scrapes? There were multiple decapitations in the "clean" prequels
redline248
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Scrapes? There were multiple decapitations in the "clean" prequels
I remember going into Ep 3 thinking "wonder why this is PG-13?" Then Anakin lopped off Dooku's head.

Looking back, with Maul getting sliced in half in 1, and Jango and the first Tusken Anakin went after in 2 I'm guessing the extra rating in 3 also had to do with Anakin getting dismembered and burned? Or maybe the implied killing of children?
Urban Ag
AG
probably the whole slaughtering kids things. yeah.

When the wife and I saw it in the theatre in 2005 and she was pregnant at the time, she looks over at me and says "well, that's kind of f'd up for a family movie, allrighty".

Our third in theatre SW experience and I just kept digging that hole.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's not just the obvious (Anakin burning to "death", killing children, etc.), I think just the story itself was "dark" enough to warrant it.
redline248
AG
True. In my opinion the death of so many Jedi warranted an R rating
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.boxofficepro.com/social-pulse-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-joker/

Probably a good sign that this saga is still very relevant in social media and to the younger generation in general.

Doesn't quite jive with the doom-and-gloom scenarios some posters have been warning of.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's not just the obvious (Anakin burning to "death", killing children, etc.), I think just the story itself was "dark" enough to warrant it.
He also choked out his wife with the Force knowing she was pregnant.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Is Rambo: Last Blood a real thing?
Flashdiaz
AG
yeah but she died of 'losing the will to live'.... mother instincts be damned.
amercer
AG
The one that "bombed" and that "everyone" hated got great reviews and made 1.3 billion dollars, soooooo I don't think the general perception is that the franchise has run off the rails.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think Solo is the one that most people point to.
amercer
AG
True, but in popular culture (outside the confines of Texags) I think people would think of solo in the same way as a lower tier marvel movie. Decent, but mostly meh. Nowhere near the disappointments that most of the DC films have been.

I'm sure Disney wasn't happy with the box office, but I don't think solo did (or says) much about public perception of Star Wars overall.
Liquid Wrench
amercer said:

Eh. Canto Bright was no cinematic wonder, but I can't rewatch any little orphan Ani scene without cringing.
The collective internet hatred for that kid has always been beyond my grasp of understanding. "Sure, I loved Ewoks and kid **** when I was a little kid, but then I grew up to be a cynical bitter nerd and the movie franchise was supposed to age with me!"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed.
redline248
AG
It's not the kid's fault that Lucas didn't try to get the best take out his actors
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Say what you will about Ani, but very few 9 year olds have a crush on a 14-year old and grow up to bang her repeatedly. That's the Chosen One you're talking about.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
amercer
AG
redline248 said:

It's not the kid's fault that Lucas didn't try to get the best take out his actors

Yeah, I've got nothing against the actors, the whole thing was just poorly done, with the little kid scenes being some of the worst parts. There are plenty films with great performances by kid actors. This isn't one of them.
TCTTS
AG
Having rewatched all three prequels in excruciating detail recently - in many instances, having to go through them frame by frame for this project I'm working on - I can confidently say that the Anakin/Padme love story is one of the worst things ever put to screen. It's sooo terrible, and none of it makes any sense whatsoever. Even with my already extremely low opinions of the prequels, I forgot just how bad and nonsensical that entire thread really is. They seriously might be the two least-in-love in love in people in all of cinematic history.
TCTTS
AG
That said, I honestly didn't think Jake Lloyd was all that bad. Yes, his story/dialogue was terrible, but I don't know if many kids could have actually acted those lines better than he did. He wasn't good, obviously, but it's hard to tell how much of that was due to Lucas.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now I'm really curious what this secret project is.
redline248
AG
You just don't understand how easily someone so strong in the force can make a girl wet by asking if she's an angel. No other dbag in the senate or on Naboo ever gave her a Japor snippet. Also, women love a guy who isn't afraid to cry in front of her after murdering a village of natives.
Liquid Wrench
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Now I'm really curious what this secret project is.
It's codenamed "Jedi Praxis."
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I don't mean to be super coy. It's basically just a massive, image-based presentation of all nine saga movies - title logos, posters, and tons of stills/frames from each movie, all extremely high quality, arranged and presented in a bunch of different ways, with a unifying design theme. It went from just a fun little exercise to something I'm actually kind of proud of. It really is pretty cool, but still chipping away. Once I have the final TROS poster and the stills from the last trailer, I'll throw everything up in a thread.
TCTTS
Ulrich
A. I'm about ready to find out what this mysterious project is.

B. Sometimes I feel like people criticise child actors who... act like children. A lot of 9 year olds have that tactless, loud, exaggerated personality when they are interacting with adults. I think it's a little weird when movie kids come off like they have the polished self-awareness and personality of an adult. Plus, Liam Neeson is the only character in the prequels who escapes seeming like a rookie actor in a soap opera, so that's not on Jake Lloyd.

C. But yes, that is the worst love story I've seen on film. It fails less in III, but it is atrocious in II.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Plus, Liam Neeson is the only character in the prequels who escapes seeming like a rookie actor in a soap opera, so that's not on Jake Lloyd.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If you don't talk about supporting dictatorships and cut her food for her on the first date, you're doing it wrong.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Probably going soft in my old age, but Anakin's part of the love story is pretty believable to me. When you're that smitten with a girl, you basically say and do stuff that seems like the perfect idea in your head - his twisting of the jedi definiton of compassion, leaning in on her on Naboo, suggesting they keep it a secret, etc. - but sounds incredibly stupid most of the time.

Padme's development of romantic feelings for Anakin is the part that makes no sense. After they reconnect, all he does is save her from a couple of catepillars then go a low-rent cruiser, watch Sio Bibble act the hell out of his lines, and go on a picnic.

It's a shame they cut out the scene at her house where Anakin talks to her dad and Padme to her mom, that was a decent scene.

But they really should have had Anakin save her life from some kind of massive attack to push forward the idea of him being her knight in shining armor. Using the Force to cut open a Space Pear isn't exactly Romance 101.
TCTTS
AG
So funny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sweet. I have a friend who's really into this kind of organization on his digital library, so I'll be sure to send that over to him when it's up. He'll get a huge kick out of that.

And I'm still pretty peeved that they got rid of the episode numbers.

I want to see I-IX on my blu-ray collection and on Disney+. Why can they not give that to me?!
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Plus, Liam Neeson is the only character in the prequels who escapes seeming like a rookie actor in a soap opera, so that's not on Jake Lloyd.

The scene on Kamino when he's questioning Jango about who recruited him for the clones is really bad. The lines are delivered in a rush and feel really unnatural. I think that's about the worst he looks in the prequels.

And I don't fault him at all.

Same for Christopher Lee when he's trying to turn Obi-Wan on Geonosis. Terrible pacing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've always wondered when that turn happened for her. When she went from "You'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine" to "I want to have sex with you".

I've seen the movie too many times to count, and I still can't tell when that turn happens.

I guess at some point in the Naboo montage, when she started wearing dresses that any male would notice, much less a celibate male who you know is in love with you.

I suppose I can buy the passage of time and it happened slowly, but one or two more scenes would've been nice. And I do agree that dinner scene is pretty good, they really should have left it.
First Page Last Page
Page 849 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.