Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,790 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And I'm still pretty peeved that they got rid of the episode numbers.

I want to see I-IX on my blu-ray collection and on Disney+. Why can they not give that to me?!

I've got you covered for this at least. Using episode numbers for all nine movies...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

(Fan-made.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn, those are high quality. Well done.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks. I'm actually having to bring the quality down a bit just to get the jpg file sizes manageable for posting. But I'll also upload the original, lossless quality pdf doc of the entire batch (40 total images in the spirit of the one above) for anyone who's interested.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've always wondered when that turn happened for her. When she went from "You'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine" to "I want to have sex with you".

I've seen the movie too many times to count, and I still can't tell when that turn happens.

I guess at some point in the Naboo montage, when she started wearing dresses that any male would notice, much less a celibate male who you know is in love with you.

I suppose I can buy the passage of time and it happened slowly, but one or two more scenes would've been nice. And I do agree that dinner scene is pretty good, they really should have left it.

Obviously the tickle fight after he feigned injury from falling off the cow-tick
TCTTS
AG
In high school I used to go to Naboo all the time and go cow-tick tipping.
Farmer1906
AG
A blaster? So uncivilized.
Urban Ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

A blaster? So uncivilized.
I've always wondered about that statement. A blaster is uncivilized but beheadings and leaving dudes for dead with missing arms and legs, sound as a pound mate.
TCTTS
AG
None of it makes a lick of sense. This is the same prequel franchise that decided to dress Jedis in the same garb Obi-Wan chose to hide in while on Tatooine as Jedis were being hunted and murdered. So either Obi-Wan chose the world's worst disguise or Lucas just didn't give a sh*t. I'm guessing it's the latter.
Quad Dog
AG
Obi-Wan also chose to hide Anakin's son on Anakin's home planet with Anakin's stepbrother. He also decided not changing Luke's last name was a good idea, and thought changing his name from Obi-Wan Kenobi to Ben Kenobi would hide his identity. Poor decision making all around.
Belton Ag
AG
Quad Dog said:

Obi-Wan also chose to hide Anakin's son on Anakin's home planet with Anakin's stepbrother. He also decided not changing Luke's last name was a good idea, and thought changing his name from Obi-Wan Kenobi to Ben Kenobi would hide his identity. Poor decision making all around.
Kind of like Gus Fring, hiding in plain sight.
TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anakin died on Mustafar.
Urban Ag
AG
Missed opportunity for more Anakin dialogue greatness:

Anakin: You know what it feels like when someone asks you about your father, and you tell them you don't have one, and they say oh I'm sorry that he passed. And then you say, no, I really didn't have a father. And then they smirk and ask did your mom tell you that? And you say yes and you can tell they're trying not to laugh. Then you get this fake sympathetic nod. I don't even think Obi Wan believes it

Padme: I believe it Anakin <covers mouth, suppresses laugh>

Anakin: Padme!

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
In the Novelization its assumed anakin would never go back there given his past, he could have gone down to retrieve the plans from the escape pod but didn't
redline248
AG
Blasters are clumsy and random. Even a Jedi using the force and has perfect aim is at the mercy of the manufacturing being good or not.

Plus, blasters are used to go on the attack
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lightsabers being more civilized is not a prequel thing. It's established in ANH.

"An elegant weapon. For a more civilized age."
TCTTS
AG
True, but it's still a dumb sentiment. We're talking about a laser pew-pewing out of gun vs. a laser protruding from a stick. It's basically the same thing. I'd actually argue that a laser sword actually does more damage can cause more gore than a laser gun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Come on dude. Now you're just being crazy.

That is just Lucas honoring the whole Samurai thing that he was so influenced by.

I always liked that the Jedi never shoot blasters. I dig the whole mystique of the lightsaber. Plus it's badass.
redline248
AG
Yeah, you can't convince me that when you watch A New Hope - for the first time or in subsequent viewings - you think it's dumb to call blasters clumsy and lightsabers elegant after seeing how they work for stormtroopers

For that matter, even Han, Chewie and Luke can't hit anything
TCTTS
AG
Eh, in real life, guns are far more different than swords. In the Star Wars universe, IMO, laser blasters and laser swords are too similar to make that distinction. It never made sense to me. Especially with, as noted earlier, all the crazy decapitations and limb cutting and what not the Jedis carried out. You can't tell me cutting off heads and arms and hands with a laser sword is any more "civilized" than shooting someone with a laser blaster.
Ulrich
Ewan has lines that work, but plenty that seem like take 1 in the bathroom mirror. I can't remember Qui-Gon having any that don't seem natural to the character and moment. Usually with acting we're talking about degrees of emotion and immersion, not "wait, did that guy find the script on a table three minutes ago?"
Ulrich
For a group of old samurai who tell themselves stories about how great and perfect they are, it makes sense. Put another way, I can see it making sense to the Jedi even if it doesn't make sense. This IS the order that collapsed through its own blind hubris.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Eh, in real life, guns are far more different than swords. In the Star Wars universe, IMO, laser blasters and laser swords are too similar to make that distinction. It never made sense to me. Especially with, as noted earlier, all the crazy decapitations and limb cutting and what not the Jedis carried out. You can't tell me cutting off heads and arms and hands with a laser sword is any more "civilized" than shooting someone with a laser blaster.
I think Obi-Wan's distinction is you only draw your lightsaber if you're planning on killing someone right then and there with minimal damage to your surrounding area. Everyone and their dog has a blaster and is pulling it out to threaten people, scare them, intimidate them, take them hostage, settle an argument, settle a bet, etc. And usually when you fire the guns, lots more people and property get damaged.
Flashdiaz
AG
Quad Dog said:

Come on Lucas is brilliant... he explained all this away with Anakin specifically saying he doesn't like sand. Tattoine is mostly sand. Transitive property here folks.
TCTTS
AG
I can buy that. Good explanation.
YouBet
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Quad Dog said:

Come on Lucas is brilliant... he explained all this away with Anakin specifically saying he doesn't like sand. Tattoine is mostly sand. Transitive property here folks.
Hiding in plain sight. It worked for this guy. I mean how could anyone possibly have ever figured this out?!

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouBet said:

Flashdiaz said:

Quad Dog said:

Hiding in plain sight. It worked for this guy. I mean how could anyone possibly have ever figured this out?!

Never get tired of watching Christopher Reeve's physical acting here.
Liquid Wrench
Ulrich said:

For a group of old samurai who tell themselves stories about how great and perfect they are, it makes sense. Put another way, I can see it making sense to the Jedi even if it doesn't make sense. This IS the order that collapsed through its own blind hubris.
No question Lucas was influenced by Kurosawa and the whole remnant Samurai thing. Specifically, "Hidden Fortress" is what all the cool kids point to.

And of course in Western European literary tradition, there was a great revival of interest in the supposed nobility and honor of knights who served "the realm" as standing armies with canons and guns arose.

Earlier, there were 11th and 12th century Papal bans on using bows/crossbows against (other) Christians, presumably because of their higher volume killing potential.

So, yeah, there have been different times and places where the older form of one-on-one combat was seen as more honorable or even moral. Still kind of harsh to cut a dude's arm off for talking **** in a bar, but the samurai were their own authority, like the Jedi who served 'the realm."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
About to pilot the biggest hunk of junk in the galaxy. Wish me luck! Never tell me the odds.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
There's a button under the dashboard that does something really cool if you press it when you're in hyperspace.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok the blue milk is awesome. Super refreshing.

Build a droid workshop is legit.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

There's a button under the dashboard that does something really cool if you press it when you're in hyperspace.
Is that in the pilot's seat only? Assuming so ...
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Is that in the pilot's seat only? Assuming so ...
I was just trying to drive Brian crazy looking for it.
ja86
First Page Last Page
Page 850 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.