Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,452 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

They'll call the Cassian show "Fulcrum" is my bet.

A rebel show about spies, assassins, saboteurs, and general intelligence work would be DOPE especially if they're willing to let the Rebels be pretty gray
I think it's pretty genius. Rogue One is by far the best product put forth since Disney took over and it's not even close. New stories and new characters can be introduced during a period of time we're all familiar with and generally really enjoy. In other words, the nostalgia of the OT with endless possibilities for new stories that could span a single episode of many or even a whole season.

It would also provide a medium for OT character cameos that Disney can't really justify (or risk) stand alone films for. Vader, Boba Fett, Tarkin, Jabba, Lando, even Han and Chewie.

Just spit balling...

Cassian is given orders to take out a mob boss/warlord that maintains order on a planet the Imperials struggle to occupy. Simultaneously, Jabba dispatches Fett and a crew to do the same because said Imperial presence is hurting Jabba's business. Fett and Cassian figure out they have the same mark and begrudgingly team up.

Cassian is sent to find some person of importance, maybe even a Jedi, that Vader is personally hunting down.
Throw C3PO in an episode where the mission requires he has a protocol droid and have him banter back and forth with K2SO to the point Cassian considers retiring both of them.

possibilities are about endless. Great material to work with.
Urban Ag
AG
What was the nod to Rogue One? I missed that.
AliasMan02
AG
Urban Ag said:

What was the nod to Rogue One? I missed that.

Edrio was on Enfys's crew, and later on Saw's.

Urban Ag
AG
thanks. Yep. Missed that.
Prime0882
AG
Might have another movie set after the prequels. The first hard "R" Star Wars film!

Render
AG
I feel they'll have a problem if the series is all about him, but if he's one character in a new cast that'll be better dramatically.
TCTTS
AG
tamusc
AG
"Boba, you've got a stew going!"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YOU SON OF A *****!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's official. No surprise here.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-pedro-pascal-mandalorian-series-1203023818/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn it, getting scooped left and right today.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In other news, apparently Solo doing pretty well on Blu-ray.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/11/solo-blu-ray-sales.html
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome to hear. I still think that story, with those actors, lives on in some way in terms of a sequel or sequel series on Disney Plus.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thought on this?

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/news/a870508/simon-pegg-new-star-wars-films-sequel-trilogy-miss-george-lucas-last-jedi/
Claude!
Did Mr. Pegg not read Lucas's ideas for a new trilogy?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The thing I find most ironic about it is --

1. He was one of the most outspoken critics of the prequels, and especially Episode 1
2. He is a close friend of JJ Abrams

But, I do think he is onto something. I do feel that something has been "missing" in the Disney era. And maybe that thing is Lucas. I can't really explain it.
TCTTS
AG
That's really interesting. This might sound cliche, but I think a huge part of what's missing currently is the "wonder." And if that's what Lucas brought, then yeah, maybe it is missing him in a certain way. All I know is that these new movies so far haven't done anything new or exciting, not only in terms of story, but also in terms special effects, locations, etc. Star Wars, back in the day, was all about cutting edge effects and showing us things we've never seen before. Even the prequels introduced the first all-CGI main cast member in cinematic history with Jar Jar. Granted, he sucked, but there was still a buzz and a "wonder" in the attempt. In contrast, these new movies just feel like the bare minimum in terms of effort when it comes to creating new and interesting worlds we've never seen, or attempting some new kind of special effect, etc. There's NOTHING in these movies I haven't seen before, where as Star Wars used to feel like the ONE guaranteed place you could go to have your mind blown in that regard. And yes, it's a completely different cinematic landscape now, and new visionaries have emerged in other exciting ways, but it's sad that Star Wars no longer feels like it's at the forefront of all that. It's become just a bunch of rehashed and remixed stuff we've seen over and over now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're spot on.

I know most people hate it, but that is what Avatar was. (And what the sequels are very likely to be.)
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Right there with you on that.
The Collective
AG
I wish Pegg would have made sure his buddy JJ would have ironed out his character and the reason Rey is with him. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the character was included to give Pegg a role.
John Matrix
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Thought on this?

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/news/a870508/simon-pegg-new-star-wars-films-sequel-trilogy-miss-george-lucas-last-jedi/
Yeah, this isn't going to be popular, but I think Pegg is right here. The OT and the prequels-for all of their inherent and debilitating flaws- were, ironically, big independent films conceived by a Hollywood maverick. It's hard to believe now, but George Lucas was considered to be on par in terms of independence with Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, and other 70's era auteurs at the time. The new Star Wars- which I generally like more than most I'd say- is missing that innovative, singular vision that drove the OT. It's all slick, corporate product made with synergy in mind. Now, don't get me wrong, there can be some great stuff that comes out of the model, (Marvel , for example), but that isn't really what Star Wars is about.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

All I know is that these new movies so far haven't done anything new or exciting, not only in terms of story, but also in terms special effects, locations, etc. Star Wars, back in the day, was all about cutting edge effects and showing us things we've never seen before.
Without trying to fight this fight again... at this point I'm not sure we'll ever get something new because I think they're going to be gun shy about going in bold directions after the fan response of TLJ. Maybe that's on Johnson for getting it all wrong or maybe it's on us the fans for rejecting it, but given the vitriol over it (even Mark Hamill himself wasn't on board) I think they're going to stick to the script until they cycle through the current storyline.
AliasMan02
AG
By Jedi, and definitely the prequels, Lucas was fully converted into a corporate branding/merch-driven machine. He was technically innovative but I don't think you can say that he was an esteemed filmmaker and storyteller after Empire. And his contribution to Empire is not even that definitive.
John Matrix
AG
AliasMan02 said:

By Jedi, and definitely the prequels, Lucas was fully converted into a corporate branding/merch-driven machine. He was technically innovative but I don't think you can say that he was an esteemed filmmaker and storyteller after Empire. And his contribution to Empire is not even that definitive.
I'll agree with that. I just think that, for better or worse, Star Wars was Lucas' baby which made for a more streamlined, efficient story overall. The Disney Wars are very obviously written by committee and driven by corporate interests which has directly led to the mix tape/ re hash element seen in them that TCTS mentions. The prequels were as well, but it was still driven by one man, for better or worse (mostly worse here.) Star Wars needs someone like that. Kennedy is supposed to be that, but she herself is not an artist in the way that Lucas was. I actually think giving whole trilogies to Johnston and the Game of Throne guys is actually a good thing. These stories need one person driving it who has knowledge of story.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree on giving complete creative control to a single person or persons over the course of a whole trilogy.

Will make for a much more cohesive story overall.

It's too bad this wasn't done for Eps 7-9. Too late for that now, I guess, but we'll see if Ep 9 can't put a nice bow on the trilogy and tie everything together.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
More detailed stats on Solo's bluray sales.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/9wq19t/na_solo_a_star_wars_storys_first_week_bluray/
The Collective
AG
Do you think they look at something like this and see streaming as the future for the spin off films / mini series?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting casting. I expect she'll be playing some sort of intergalactic badass.
Rex Racer
AG
Glenn Carano's little girl is doing well for herself!
Duncan Idaho
She fine
Malachi Constant
AG
?fm=mp4&mp4-fragmented=false&s=353b8f5fb91ca375dca6f093d0a3f1ee
First Page Last Page
Page 775 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.