Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,360 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I honestly dread opening this thread these days.

Can we move on from TLJ for like... a month?

Hey man, knock yourself out bringing up topics to speculate over for episode IX. We will all sit and wait patiently while you try to think of something to actually talk about.
bangobango
AG
SF2004 said:

bangobango said:

fig96 said:

cbr said:

oh and lol, how is it possible for any ******* to make a star wars franchise movie and get a 46% score at rotten tomatoes? LOL.

i'll tell you how, make a movie worse than phantom menace (55%), finish off two of the most iconic characters in movie history in an insulting, asinine way, and fill it full of PC bull**** agendas....
Actually, it's largely because there was literally an organized campaign from some very sad individuals who wanted to torpedo the film. Which you'd know if you'd paid any attention at all.
One guy making a facebook post that he "botted" the Last Jedi fan score does not prove anything. no matter how much Disney pushes that it does or the shill movie sites repeat Disney's talking point on it.

Star Wars fans, the vast majority, hated this movie. Just look at posts, youtube videos, conversations in person with fans, and the Solo bomb. It all points to the obvious if you don't choose to willfully ignore it.

This defense of TLJ is the most massive gas lighting for a movie I have ever seen. Episode IX, like Solo, will further expose what the majority of star wars fans are saying - that TLJ was a complete failure of a movie.
Except that this all fueled by a false pedestal that the original trilogy is placed upon.

They aren't that great of movies. As has been said, they carried ground breaking special effects (that still hold up today), had cool toys to ask your parents for, and Darth Vader who had very little screen time in the first one. Other than that it is a standard science fiction heroes journey.

I love star wars because of when I started watching them, I am not sure I would LOVE star wars the way I do if I saw them as an adult. In fact I don't know many rapid fans that were adults back when they came out.

During my lifetime it wasn't cool to like star wars, then it was cool, and now you aren't a true star wars fan if you don't hate every second of any movie not named ANH or ESB.

Except star Wars was released the same year as Annie Hall and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. T is idea that audiences were too stupid to understand what a good movie was back then is something people who try to apologize for bad subsequent movies trot out to make their pointm

It also displays a fundamental misunderstanding of what made the original star Wars beloved by the public. A failing you share in common with Rian Johnson.

Star Wars is collective mythology for American culture. And like any collective mythological hero journey, it should be simple and straight forward. That doesn't make it less or simple, if anything, the efforts since the original trilogy should highlight how hard it is to make a good star Wars movie.

Star Wars is not, for example, the medium where a neophyte film maker tries try to challenge his audience's concepts of right and wrong in an inartful and heavy handed way. It should be, rather, where you reaffirm the audiences' beliefs in what is good and right in their lives'.

I do think a capable and competent writer and director could successfully explore deeper concepts with this franchise, but Rian Johnson tried to go that way and showed that he is way too shallow and incompetent to explore those topics with his audience.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Couldn't agree more with this post.
Hagen95
AG
A nice post, but wasn't Star Wars originally done by a neophyte director?

The Collective
AG
bangobango said:

Hey man, knock yourself out bringing up topics to speculate over for episode IX. We will all sit and wait patiently while you try to think of something to actually talk about.
SF2004
AG
bangobango said:

SF2004 said:

bangobango said:

fig96 said:

cbr said:

oh and lol, how is it possible for any ******* to make a star wars franchise movie and get a 46% score at rotten tomatoes? LOL.

i'll tell you how, make a movie worse than phantom menace (55%), finish off two of the most iconic characters in movie history in an insulting, asinine way, and fill it full of PC bull**** agendas....
Actually, it's largely because there was literally an organized campaign from some very sad individuals who wanted to torpedo the film. Which you'd know if you'd paid any attention at all.
One guy making a facebook post that he "botted" the Last Jedi fan score does not prove anything. no matter how much Disney pushes that it does or the shill movie sites repeat Disney's talking point on it.

Star Wars fans, the vast majority, hated this movie. Just look at posts, youtube videos, conversations in person with fans, and the Solo bomb. It all points to the obvious if you don't choose to willfully ignore it.

This defense of TLJ is the most massive gas lighting for a movie I have ever seen. Episode IX, like Solo, will further expose what the majority of star wars fans are saying - that TLJ was a complete failure of a movie.
Except that this all fueled by a false pedestal that the original trilogy is placed upon.

They aren't that great of movies. As has been said, they carried ground breaking special effects (that still hold up today), had cool toys to ask your parents for, and Darth Vader who had very little screen time in the first one. Other than that it is a standard science fiction heroes journey.

I love star wars because of when I started watching them, I am not sure I would LOVE star wars the way I do if I saw them as an adult. In fact I don't know many rapid fans that were adults back when they came out.

During my lifetime it wasn't cool to like star wars, then it was cool, and now you aren't a true star wars fan if you don't hate every second of any movie not named ANH or ESB.

Except star Wars was released the same year as Annie Hall and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. T is idea that audiences were too stupid to understand what a good movie was back then is something people who try to apologize for bad subsequent movies trot out to make their pointm

It also displays a fundamental misunderstanding of what made the original star Wars beloved by the public. A failing you share in common with Rian Johnson.

Star Wars is collective mythology for American culture. And like any collective mythological hero journey, it should be simple and straight forward. That doesn't make it less or simple, if anything, the efforts since the original trilogy should highlight how hard it is to make a good star Wars movie.

Star Wars is not, for example, the medium where a neophyte film maker tries try to challenge his audience's concepts of right and wrong in an inartful and heavy handed way. It should be, rather, where you reaffirm the audiences' beliefs in what is good and right in their lives'.

I do think a capable and competent writer and director could successfully explore deeper concepts with this franchise, but Rian Johnson tried to go that way and showed that he is way too shallow and incompetent to explore those topics with his audience.

If they would have continued with your "simple and straight forward" approach you would have *****ed about them just doing "money grabs".

I completely understand what made star wars beloved by the public... I just don't try to have revisionist history about it.

Malachi Constant
AG
Topic for episode IX:

Where is Rey at the end of the movie?

Is she still light side?
Is she married?
What's the completion of her arc?
Where does she reside? Jakku?
bearamedic99
AG
Another question, even before the SJWs of TLJ, why aren't there any evil female force users or even female villains worse than Phasma? A subconscious decision or just coincidence with limited villains?
Flashdiaz
AG
bearamedic99 said:

Another question, even before the SJWs of TLJ, why aren't there any evil female force users or even female villains worse than Phasma? A subconscious decision or just coincidence with limited villains?
There are evil female force users in the Clone Wars cartoons. There are also female officers and troopers in the First Order but you're right, there aren't any major female villains in the movies.
Farmer1906
AG
bearamedic99 said:

There are some in the cartoons, but overall not many at all.

Asajj Ventress - Dooku's apprentice (Best female villain)
Barriss Offee - Fallen Jedi from Clone Wars
Aurra Sing - Bounty Hunter and Assassin (in TPM & referenced in Solo)
Mother Talzin - Leader of the Nightsisters
Render
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Topic for episode IX:

Is she still light side?
Is she married?

For IX's main villain, they should resurrect Admiral Ackbar with a robot body and have him become a Dark side tyrant...

Dro07
AG
they didn't want to see women get beat up by men is my guess.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Quote:

f they would have continued with your "simple and straight forward" approach you would have *****ed about them just doing "money grabs

No, I wouldn't have. I didn't after TFA came out.
AliasMan02
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearamedic99 said:

There are some in the cartoons, but overall not many at all.

Asajj Ventress - Dooku's apprentice (Best female villain)
Barriss Offee - Fallen Jedi from Clone Wars
Aurra Sing - Bounty Hunter and Assassin (in TPM & referenced in Solo)
Mother Talzin - Leader of the Nightsisters

Most of the truly great villains in the expanded canon are women, come to think of it. Ventress, Rae Sloane, and Dr. Aphra are probably the best.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Topic for episode IX:

Is she still light side?
Is she married?

• Yes
  • Not married. Maybe together with Poe, but frankly I don't care either way. (But I do think if she teaches a new generation, love will no longer be forbidden for Jedi.)
  • Due to the fact that it'll be JJ Abrams, I think the most "obvious" arc is the most likely. (She'll be running a new Jedi Academy, and continuing the legend of her "old master" Luke Skywalker.)
  • Wherever Luke's Jedi academy was.
AliasMan02
AG
I bet JJ puts hey academy, if it goes that way, on Yavin IV.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That could be cool, but Rey wouldn't have any personal connection to it.
Farmer1906
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Topic for episode IX:

Is she still light side?
Is she married?

Yes

No

She dies ending the last of the first order

Force Ghost with Luke

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That could be cool, but Rey wouldn't have any personal connection to it.

I agree. Just think it's a JJ thing to do, and a suggestion the Story Group would make.
Urban Ag
AG
I think it would be pretty cool way to wrap up the series with some sort of Jedi training camp at the site that rebellion against the Empire was essentially born. Rogue One did an awesome job of amping up the nostalgia factor with the Yavin base.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

America! F yeah!
SeattleAgJr
bangobango
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Looks good. can't wait.
AliasMan02
AG
Snoke with the overhead projector is my favorite.
Urban Ag
AG
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/07/03/star-wars-actor-ahmed-best-says-considered-suicide-after-jar-jar-binks-backlash.html

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow.
redline248
AG
2 things I don't get. Hating a character so much you personally attack the actor. Caring so much about people hating a character you played that you'd consider suicide.

Geez
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That is complete crap. I get that his character was irritating but he absolutely did not deserve that kind of treatment. Nor does the gal who played an even worst character in The Last Jedi.
bangobango
AG
redline248 said:

2 things I don't get. Hating a character so much you personally attack the actor. Caring so much about people hating a character you played that you'd consider suicide.

Geez

Reading the article, I think it was more the media backlash and the fact that it really hurt his career moreso than anything fans said that made him suicidal.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Droids vs. Gungans in TPM or the Canto Bight sequence in TLJ?

The loser is you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Steady, steady.
redline248
AG
At least the Gungans were an effective distraction, allowing Padme to get back into the palace. More importantly, it led to the Duel of the Fates.
Cromagnum
AG
At least Vader learned from his first mistake, and then kept his distance and threw the lightsaber this time around.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 740 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.