Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,368 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Murder Hornet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

same thing that made Lucas bail on making any more. Ridiculous.

grrrrr.

I highly recommend watching the Star Wars Episode of The Toys that made Us on Netflix.

It advances the argument that 1-3 were only greenlighted after Lucas recovered the merchandising rights from the Kenner deal. And could get more from Hasbro.

Then by Episdoe 3 Star Wars was no longer moving merchandise.

I wonder how much of this news is about merchandizing?
Is it weird that I read this thread in Mel Brooks' Yogurt voice?

"Moichandizing!"
Fenrir
Pike's speech to Kirk about his father always gives me the chills. He deliveries that so well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll take 3/4.
dave94
AG
Belton Ag said:

I think that without Luke, Han, Leia or Snokethere to draw people back, and with how TLJ did little to develop Finn and Poe, it's going to the appeal of Rey and Kylo that draws in viewers.

Snoke?
redline248
AG
dave94 said:

Belton Ag said:

I think that without Luke, Han, Leia or Snokethere to draw people back, and with how TLJ did little to develop Finn and Poe, it's going to the appeal of Rey and Kylo that draws in viewers.

Snoke?

People were interested in Snoke. Where he came from, how he gained power, hope he manipulated Kylo, etc. Oh well
AliasMan02
AG
Watching Kylo rule the galaxy with an angry iron fist isn't compelling to y'all? I can't wait for that!
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Watching Kylo rule the galaxy with an angry iron fist isn't compelling to y'all? I can't wait for that!

dave94
AG
redline248 said:

dave94 said:

Belton Ag said:

Snoke?

People were interested in Snoke. Where he came from, how he gained power, hope he manipulated Kylo, etc. Oh well
True, but I would never think that he was a draw like the OT characters.

AliasMan02
AG
Things I'm incredibly psyched for in Ep IX:

- Rey's new lightsaber. I don't know if she will already have it or build it during the movie, but I expect it to be cool. I'm still going with a Pike/spear style weapon as my guess.
- A Jedi fighting alongside troops in battle, which we've never really seen on the big screen. In RotS we saw them on the battlefield together but they were always standing around talking.
- Really cool designs for the Knights of Ren. I think maybe we see them in a battle capacity opposite Rey, as above. The Cline Wars did that sort of dynamic well, with "hero" characters fighting alongside the troops.
- A full on space battle with Poe and Black Squadron leading a combined force from FO-opposing worlds. Including T-85 X-Wings and new ship designs. We haven't had that in the sequels.
- More Chewie piloting, with a fully crewed Falcon.

Thing is, I have no idea what the story will be or how it will all be brought to an end. If the FO is going to be defeated, a LOT has to happen.
redline248
AG
Can't have a space battle without space ships, of which the resistance currently has none. Opening crawl is going to have to fill in a bunch of blanks, as I expect there is going to be a significant jump in time.

And your last sentence is huge. In the OT the rebellion was established. At the end of TLJ, there are a dozen people and one ship, and no one answered the call for help.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
redline248 said:

Can't have a space battle without space ships, of which the resistance currently has none. Opening crawl is going to have to fill in a bunch of blanks, as I expect there is going to be a significant jump in time.

And your last sentence is huge. In the OT the rebellion was established. At the end of TLJ, there are a dozen people and one ship, and no one answered the call for help.

So simply solved......the code breaker has his payoff from the FO. He pulls a Lando and turns it around on them.

One trip to Canto Bight a few well placed bets and some cheating and he's rich. He uses it to buy a massive amount of ships and mercs for the resistance and to free the slave animals.

Tada.

(i'm kidding... i think)

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

- A Jedi fighting alongside troops in battle, which we've never really seen on the big screen. In RotS we saw them on the battlefield together but they were always standing around talking.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Better yet, make it Lando.
Malachi Constant
AG
Episode IX opening crawl:

EVERYTHING BEFORE THIS POINT IS
IRRELEVANT. LEIA DIED RECENTLY AND
WON'T BE JOINING US. THE KNIGHTS OF
REN LOOKED AWESOME BUT RIAN
REALLY MESSED UP THEIR STORY. POE
IS NOW A FEMINIST AND REPORTS
DIRECTLY TO ROSE. THE RESISTANCE
HAS TAKEN CONTROL OF THE GALAXY
USING NEW 'LIGHT SPEED' WEAPONRY

THAT KID THAT FORCE-PULLED THE BROOM
AT THE END OF THE LAST MOVIE HAS
GROWN UP AND IS MORE POWERFUL
THAN REY OR LUKE OR KYLO OR REVAN
EVEN THOUGH HE HAS NO FORMAL JEDI
TRAINING.

THE FORCE HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE SILLY
AND TOO PATRIARCHAL. THERE IS NO 'LIGHT
SIDE' OR 'DARK SIDE', ALL THAT MATTERS
IS WHICH SIDE YOU IDENTIFY WITH.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Render
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I'd enjoy that too. Having the Dark side win (or a Grey side) could potentially be great. Maybe humanize the First Order/Knights of Ren more to make it work.
Render
AG
Given the situation, JJ should drop the pretext and make it a pure fun action movie. (Some of the following is serious, some of it not. Just having fun!)

Act I
1. Resistance fleet reorganizes around Endor.

2. Rey completes some sort of Jedi training from Force Ghost Luke. Poe teaches Finn how to fly an X-Wing.

3. Resistance finds out Kylo/First Order is at the Knights of Ren's stronghold planet. FO won't expect sneak attack, so Resistance plans to attack.

Act II
1. Resistance fleet sneak attacks First Order fleet.

2. Poe and Finn lead an epic air battle that starts in space, moves into the atmosphere, and finally ends in the skies above the Ren stronghold.

3. Rey covertly enters the Ren stronghold. Inside, she encounters various FO troops and Knights of Ren; she battles and kills all of them.

Act III
1. Rey arrives at Kylo's throne room. By now he is completely corrupted the Dark side. After sharing views with him, Rey realizes she can't save him. They fight.

2. The air battle intensives, with the Resistance losing. Poe sacrifices himself by crashing into the flagship Star Destroyer's bridge, causing the ship to plunge into the Ren stronghold/FO bases. The shock allows Resistance forces to counter effectively and turn the tide against the FO.

3. Explosions from the Star Destroyer crashing into the stronghold allow Rey to gain the upper hand. She tearfully kills Kylo, whom she realizes was a promising young man who was tragically misguided. She turns to escape the crumbling stronghold, but is confronted by a cloaked figure. The figure pulls back their shroud to reveal DARTH JAR JAR was pulling the strings the whole time! Jar Jar ignites his dual-wield, double-bladed lightsabers and fights Rey. Rey is outmatched, but then the Force ghosts of Luke, Yoda, CGI Obi-Wan, and CGI Qui-Gon intervene and help her defeat the true phantom menace.

4. The limping, surviving Resistance gathers on the nearest planet to heal - Tatooine. They celebrate the victory amidst bemused moisture farmers. Dusk falls. Finn believes Rey to be dead, but then in the distance sees her walking toward him with the binary sunset behind her. The movie ends as the two kiss, and look out at the burning twin suns.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

If it did happen, it would be a better story, no doubt in my mind. The quality of effects and stuff would probably suck, but still.
SeattleAgJr
Blatant Disregard said:

Episode IX opening crawl:

EVERYTHING BEFORE THIS POINT IS
IRRELEVANT. LEIA DIED RECENTLY AND
WON'T BE JOINING US. THE KNIGHTS OF
REN LOOKED AWESOME BUT RIAN
REALLY MESSED UP THEIR STORY. POE
IS NOW A FEMINIST AND REPORTS
DIRECTLY TO ROSE. THE RESISTANCE
HAS TAKEN CONTROL OF THE GALAXY
USING NEW 'LIGHT SPEED' WEAPONRY

THAT KID THAT FORCE-PULLED THE BROOM
AT THE END OF THE LAST MOVIE HAS
GROWN UP AND IS MORE POWERFUL
THAN REY OR LUKE OR KYLO OR REVAN
EVEN THOUGH HE HAS NO FORMAL JEDI
TRAINING.

THE FORCE HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE SILLY
AND TOO PATRIARCHAL. THERE IS NO 'LIGHT
SIDE' OR 'DARK SIDE', ALL THAT MATTERS
IS WHICH SIDE YOU IDENTIFY WITH.
user name and summation checks out.
Flashdiaz
AG
the door is wide open for Lando to have an Army\ships to provide instant supplies to the resistance\rebellion.
redline248
AG
Which wouldn't look like deus ex machina at all
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

The Collective
AG
I like when sarcastic Rian Johnson tweets.
Belton Ag
AG
dave94 said:

Belton Ag said:

Snoke?
Yes, for all the reasons redline248 mentioned, plus I'm not sure Kylo has the respect of the audience to pull off a compelling antagonist. He's no Maul, Vader, Emperor or Snoke. But hopefully that's where the Knight of Ren come in for us.
amercer
AG
It's a whole galaxy full of things that go Pew Pew Pew, I'm sure there are lots of pseudo armies out there. Having Lando in charge of one isn't that far fetched.

Despite JJs disregard for space time, it does take time to get places. He could have gotten the call and already be on the way.
twilly
AG
http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Lucasfilm_Mentions_Multiple_Unannounced_Films_In_Development_181094.asp

Um...reports of the death of the standalones May have been premature.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eh.... until it's a named source I'm not going to put much faith in that. I'm fine with the Boba Fett movie being shelved indefinitely. Mainly just want the Kenobi movie, and I'm honestly not too keen on the Johnson trilogy either after TLJ. Not sure what the other stand alone films they have in development, but one thing these movies do need is some stability behind the scenes... just my opinion though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SeattleAgJr
jabberwalkie09 said:

Eh.... until it's a named source I'm not going to put much faith in that. I'm fine with the Boba Fett movie being shelved indefinitely. Mainly just want the Kenobi movie, and I'm honestly not too keen on the Johnson trilogy either after TLJ. Not sure what the other stand alone films they have in development, but one thing these movies do need is some stability behind the scenes... just my opinion though.
One of them is a series by the guys behind Game of Thrones.

It is about a Princess who uses the Force to mysteriously hatch three Krayt Dragon eggs, who then starts an army to create a new, new Republic while fighting ice warriors from the planet Hoth, as she happens to fall in love with a dark and broody warrior who killed his fellow warriors and took over from his master.

And Gwendolyn Christie happens to be a knight in it,
twilly
AG
http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Star_Wars_Story_Rumor_Clarification_181093.asp

Seems there was another unannounced project that had its studio time canceled, and people panicked and assumed that as a sign that everything was shut down.

Definitely some damage control coming out of Lucasfilm. I bet there is more coming soon from LFL and Disney.
TCTTS
AG
Curious to hear Collider's rebuttal.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Frosty seems like sometimes he has an itchy trigger finger just because he wants to be the first to get the scoop.
TCTTS
AG
Frosty, yes, but I know Jeff pretty well, who was in that video with him, and Jeff always triple checks his sources. I personally employeed him and watched him do it for over a year and he was never once wrong. Granted, this wasn't his scoop, but I don't know that he'd vouch for it like that if there wasnt more to it. Still, yeah, Frosty has never really been in the sourced scoop game, so this is a tough one. I could see it going either way.
TCTTS
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 733 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.