Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,131 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

Then when Samuel L. Jackson played Mace Windu in Ep. 1, 2 and 3 he asked for a Purple Light Saber because that's his favorite color.

That blew open the doors for fiction writers.
Different colored lightsabers have been around for a LONG time; especially if you read any of the EU Legends stuff.

The class thing I can't speak to - that seems... contrived by board game and MMORPG folks.
AliasMan02
AG
Originated in KOTOR, I think.
Render
AG
That's a great synthesis - I may use it for future reference. I fiddle around with storytelling in my spare time too, so I'm glad someone else benefited from the article.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Originated in KOTOR, I think.

Yeah, it was put into KOTOR as a video game contrivance, so players had a reason for the starting color, but in the game you can make your light saber any color.

It is more like a Jedi suggestion.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Speaking of Star Wars Video Games, any want want to rank their Top 5 Star Wars video games?

For me:

1. TIE Fighter
2. KOTOR 2
3. KOTOR 1
4. Dark Forces
5. Galactic Battlegrounds (Age of Empire clone)
Buck Compton
AG
Anything with KOTOR 2 over 1 is invalid....
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Speaking of Star Wars Video Games, any want want to rank their Top 5 Star Wars video games?

For me:

1. TIE Fighter
2. KOTOR 2
3. KOTOR 1
4. Dark Forces
5. Galactic Battlegrounds (Age of Empire clone)

Haven't played a video game in 8-10 years, but:
TIE Fighter + Expansion Pack
Rebellion
KOTOR 1
X-Wing Alliance
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight
Force Commander

Edit: the only games I play anymore are on IPad : XCOM, Masters of Orion, KOTOR
Murder Hornet
AG
The Force Unleashed was pretty good too.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I really liked KOTOR2 explaination of the Force and the villains. At release it was buggy, but with fan patch and content restore it is near perfect.

Not saying KOTOR isn't great or near perfect.

I think it is like Fallout 1/2. Both are great.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

Then when Samuel L. Jackson played Mace Windu in Ep. 1, 2 and 3 he asked for a Purple Light Saber because that's his favorite color.

That blew open the doors for fiction writers.
Different colored lightsabers have been around for a LONG time; especially if you read any of the EU Legends stuff.

The class thing I can't speak to - that seems... contrived by board game and MMORPG folks.

You're right. I feel the best Star Wars stuff came from the books and graphic novels.

What I said was based on the interviews of Lucas and Jackson from the Ep. 1, 2 & 3 special features.

Frankly, I think one of the worst things to happen to Star Wars was George Lucas himself. He was a bull in a China shop to this franchise.

There was a a Star Wars RPG from Lucas Arts called Star Wars 1313 where you created your own character and played as a Coruscant bounty hunter. It was was going to be with adult themes and have a M (mature) ESRB rating.

Despite being in the late stages of development Lucas continually sbatoged the project. He decides last minute he wanted you to be Boba Fett. The studio employees said he creeped everyone out by talking in different voices, doing Lauren Becall imitations, interuping meetings, 45 second conversational pauses. A lot of the developers quit.

Kathleen Kennedy wanted it canceled. And it was.

I REALLY wanted to play that game and almost despise Lucas as awful as that sounds.

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
israeliag
AG
I forgot about that. They had a trailer for it and everything:

AliasMan02
AG
Sucks that we don't get 1313, but a game set in the Dark Times will be great.

Star Wars needs more games without Force users, though.
Solo Tetherball Champ
AliasMan02 said:

You can't have Star Wars without the force being present, but it would be interesting if you as the player did not have access to the force.

Imagine if you are the bounty hunter (as in that cancelled game) but one of the gameplay elements is that even as you hunt your bounty targets you have to try to avoid the notice of and then evade the Jedi themselves, who are sort of the indestructible bogeyman of the game. Kind of like how agents are unstoppable to the regular people of the Matrix trilogy.

AliasMan02
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

AliasMan02 said:

You can't have Star Wars without the force being present, but it would be interesting if you as the player did not have access to the force.

Imagine if you are the bounty hunter (as in that cancelled game) but one of the gameplay elements is that even as you hunt your bounty targets you have to try to avoid the notice of and then evade the Jedi themselves, who are sort of the indestructible bogeyman of the game. Kind of like how agents are unstoppable to the regular people of the Matrix trilogy.

Some classic games don't have you playing a Force user. Shadows of the Empire is up there on the list of console games.

The Force can be present, but it is just overrepresented. A game where you played a smuggler who gets caught up in some wider adventure, Serenity style, would be great. Make it like a Bioware game that has a great supporting cast and world's to explore.
MandoArms
Anybody else find it interesting that JJ Abram's company Bad Robot is suddenly opening a video game division with Tencent?
IG: mando_arms
AliasMan02
AG
BrownCoat said:

Anybody else find it interesting that JJ Abram's company Bad Robot is suddenly opening a video game division with Tencent?

Probably a coincidence. I have to say, however, that it's weird that more Hollywood creatives aren't interested in the storytelling medium available using video games.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I find it interesting that Bad Robot produces Westworld.
MandoArms
I am wondering if JJ will try to launch a new Star Wars game in conjunction with Episode IX.
AliasMan02
AG
BrownCoat said:

I am wondering if JJ will try to launch a new Star Wars game in conjunction with Episode IX.

Would be the first tie-in game since Phantom Menace, I think. That's a practice that has fallen out of favor.

Or it could be just a totally separate thing designed to capitalize on Star Wars marketing, but even then I kinda doubt it. Battlefront will still be out there and Fallen Order will be on the way. Unless it's a casual game it would be tough to produce ANYTHING in time.
TCTTS
AG
If there's one thing I liked about the era of the prequels, along with The Matrix sequels, the LOTR trilogy, etc., it was the video game tie-ins (even though I didn't play them), the singles from the soundtracks that had accompanying music videos and sometimes even got radio play (Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, May It Be, the phenomenal Matrix Reloaded soundtrack, etc), the filler material in the form of comics that set up the story, along with the all around sense of the movies being marketed/existing across multiple mediums/platforms. Granted, the comic tie-ins are obviously still a thing, and movies in general are no doubt marketed even more now than they were back then, but something about the movie - video game - music single combo made the hype and marketing feel more all-encompassing in a fun way that I really miss.
israeliag
AG
Right, and what happened to casting Will Smith includes him coming out with a song for that movie???

A Donald Glover Solo single would have single handedly ensured profits for that film.
TCTTS
AG
I legitimately miss Will Smith singles for blockbusters. Heck, I even loved Aerosmith's "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" from Armageddon.
MandoArms
I would be really happy if somehow Bad Robot got the rights to 1313 and they use it to set up the Boba Fett film.
Urban Ag
AG
israeliag said:

Right, and what happened to casting Will Smith includes him coming out with a song for that movie???

A Donald Glover Solo single would have single handedly ensured profits for that film.
Besides Men in Black, what songs did Will Smith put out on movie soundtracks he starred in? I'm honestly drawing a blank beyond MIB.

and holy sheet, he'll be 50 in Sept. That makes me feel old.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree completely.

The soundtracks for Spider-man 1 and 2 were legit.
israeliag
AG
Wild Wild West :P
TCTTS
AG
Wild Wild West, but now looking back it seems those were the only two. Thought it was more.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How about this one?

OnlyForNow
AG
damnit, Brittney was so hot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Huge Zeppelin fan. But, not going to pretend for one second this wasn't the coolest thing ever in 1998.

fig96
AG
AliasMan02 said:

BrownCoat said:

Probably a coincidence. I have to say, however, that it's weird that more Hollywood creatives aren't interested in the storytelling medium available using video games.
I feel like there's been a fair amount that have tried it, just haven't had a ton of success. It's storytelling but it's a different kind of storytelling. Would have to do some research.
MGS
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Huge Zeppelin fan. But, not going to pretend for one second this wasn't the coolest thing ever in 1998.

I preferred The Wallflowers cover of Bowie's Heros from that Godzilla soundtrack.
Fenrir
Alex Garland and Andy Serkis were both involved in a game adaptation of journey to the West. Was not a huge commercial success, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
TCTTS
AG
Thoughts?

Personally, despite the movie's many other problems, I've actually come to like this aspect, and I can't argue with this...

Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

Thoughts?

Personally, despite the movie's many other problems, I've actually come to like this aspect, and I can't argue with this...

I originally was a little disappointed in the theater but honestly was pretty in awe of the moment all the same. Also seeing the complete overblown reaction to it made me realize how big of a deal it really wasn't
First Page Last Page
Page 728 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.