Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,106 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
****ing insane
Render
AG
Wow, thanks for sharing that! As much as I hate on the franchise's direction thus far, I'm reminded it could always be worse...
fig96
AG
Just a reminder what this is really all about...

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
fig96 said:

Just a reminder what this is really all about...

They were actually losing their minds because Darth Maul is in fact dead! Ewan McGregor bisected him with a light saber then he fell down a bottomless pit. That wasn't excitement she saw; those kids were morally outraged.

Just kidding.

But thank goodness the boys haven't developed their critical thinking skills, yet.

I remember watching re-runs of the A-Team religiously every day at their age. Then around age 11 I began piecing together that the show was in fact full of s--t.

They always showed the bad guys scrambling to safety from a car that just flipped 7 times after rolling off a cliff at 70 mph and caught on fire. Nobody ever died.

The A-Team never actually ever shot anyone... ever. Instead they would shoot at people's feet! And still nobody got hurt off the bullet ricochets!

Somehow Murdock was always in an mental institution at the beginning of the show. Then they broke him out because why? They needed a schizophrenic pilot who heard voices to fly over civilian populated areas?

And as luck would have it there was ALWAYS a fully equipped machine shop available to overhaul their van which, miraculously, was restored at the beginning of every episode.

I don't know why, but it really started to tick me off.

Don't even get me started on MacGyver - you can't plug bullet holes in a radiator using fried chicken eggs!!!

And yet, I still love Star Wars.

Maybe it IS kind of silly to argue the fine points of a movie with space wizards.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
FL_Ag1998
AG
So after quite a few never-ending back and forth discussions and a threat/demand to anyone and everyone that posts on the Entertainment Board (that turned into a self-self-revelatory trip through your childhood), you've finally realized how silly you can look when you get drug too deep into discussing Star Wars?

FL_Ag1998
AG
Oh and I pity the fool that makes fun of The A-Team!

AliasMan02
AG
What's so infuriating about Lucas is how he constantly changes his story about EVERYTHING about Star Wars and acts like that was his plan all along, and expects everyone to buy it.
Render
AG
I could at least understand where TFA and TLJ were coming from, but I have no idea where Luca is coming from with these ideas. It's like he's trying to incorporate the weirdo sci-fi elements of the Dune series into SW.
Flashdiaz
AG
Render said:

I could at least understand where TFA and TLJ were coming from, but I have no idea where Luca is coming from with these ideas. It's like he's trying to incorporate the weirdo sci-fi elements of the Dune series into SW.

Yeah those ideas sound awful. Thanks Kathleen Kennedy!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I'll take rose and Finn over midichlorians and the whills any day.
hurleyag
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Bj98AHwHgCW

This is going to be good.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

He would have doubled down on midichlorians, basically. Wow...

The only way around midichlorians is to recharacterize them as not Force-giving; but simply as Force-indicating. In other words, Qui-Gon and Jedi archives were wrong or manipulated. The Force is not determined by midichlorian levels, but midichlorians find and are attracted to Force users in a linear amount to their Force abilities. Those stronger in the Force attract more of the simbiants and these are detectable and a way to measure a beings Force potential.

This is a much more palpable explanation and leaves the Force mystery intact.
jabberwalkie09
AG
hurleyag said:

Oh boy...

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Nailed it
Flashdiaz
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

TCTTS said:

The only way around midichlorians is to recharacterize them as not Force-giving; but simply as Force-indicating. In other words, Qui-Gon and Jedi archives were wrong or manipulated. The Force is not determined by midichlorian levels, but midichlorians find and are attracted to Force users in a linear amount to their Force abilities. Those stronger in the Force attract more of the simbiants and these are detectable and a way to measure a beings Force potential.

ok. but it's still unnecessary. The only reason to have this explanation then is because midichlorians were introduced in the first place... it's a 360 which gets you to the exact place you were before. Just do a special edit and remove references to midichlorians and jarjar and call it a day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't mean to come off as a dick, but does every one of your responses need to be an essay?
WestAustinAg
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I wouldn't. Midichlorians means genetics have something to do with who has Jedi skills. That means Rey would have a back story. It also completely negates the SJW angle that we all have the power within us. There is some exclusivity to who can save the rebellion. That means we get repeated characters and story lines that are forced to be framed through the old story.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

I wouldn't. Midichlorians means genetics have something to do with who has Jedi skills. That means Rey would have a back story. It also completely negates the SJW angle that we all have the power within us. There is some exclusivity to who can save the rebellion. That means we get repeated characters and story lines that are forced to be framed through the old story.

Midichlorians does not necessarily mean genetics. Remember Anakin was some insipid virgin birth miracle. Not inherited genetically.

And I don't know why you think Lucas would have Rey et al anyway. That was not some story of his. In fact he says Disney discarded all of his story ideas.

I fear the dry story and dialogue Lucas would have had. And don't forget his penchant for introducing horrible characters accidental racism and poltical diatribe.

No thanks.
Ulrich
The midichlorian controversy is item number 1 in my "reasons why fiction shouldn't try to explain everything" rant. Sometimes things are more mysterious, intriguing, and yet still more clear before you start explaining them.

I have no doubt that there were a bunch of people hoping to finally get an explanation for how the Force really works just like there are people who want a backstory for every character, artifact, and offhand reference. I think that's a misguided hope.
WestAustinAg
AG
Understand. I am assuming that the overall structure of TFA and TLJ are closely related to Lucas's vision which admittedly could be completely wrong. If it was there would have been a Rey related to someone and also a Snoke and a Kyle type character. I think TFA aped Lucas in so many ways that it's at least a possibility.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Understand. I am assuming that the overall structure of TFA and TLJ are closely related to Lucas's vision which admittedly could be completely wrong. If it was there would have been a Rey related to someone and also a Snoke and a Kyle type character. I think TFA aped Lucas in so many ways that it's at least a possibility.

FWIW

According to Lucas himself it is nothing close to anything he was planning. He went to early story development meetings and at some point he stopped going because he said it had nothing to do with his ideas any more.

I assume something worse and drier than the politicsl mumbo jumbo of the prequels. But cool effects.

He didn't even get the Anakin origin and turn right. Not sure why anyone thinks he would have ended it better than what we have now.
Ag Since 83
AG
Is it me or does George Lucas sound like he wanted to make Osmosis Jones: A Star Wars Story?
Render
AG
Yep. Explaining the Force is like trying to explain why there are supernatural things in The Twilight Zone. If you're overly concerned about that, then you're missing the point.

"This kind of worldbuilding actually undercuts the best and most exciting aspects of fantastic fiction, subordinating the uncontrolled, the intuitive & the authentically imaginative to the explicable; and replacing psychological, poetic & emotional logic with the rationality of the fake."

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-worldbuilding-1677166765
Grimey
WestAustinAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

I don't get this whole genetics thing. It's literally only the Skywalker family that shows any Force inheritance, every other Jedi/Sith appears completely randomly.
Flashdiaz
AG
Grimey said:

WestAustinAg said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

I don't get this whole genetics thing. It's literally only the Skywalker family that shows any Force inheritance, every other Jedi/Sith appears completely randomly.
could be that Anakin was so strong in the force, that it was passed down genetically.

Others could have it but not be as pronounced and they pass it off to their children and it gets stronger in them.

Regardless, I don't really need a biological explanation of it. Yoda's explanation is enough.
Urban Ag
AG
hurleyag said:

The best response to this would be a pic of Hudson from Aliens with the quote:

Maybe you aint been keeping up with current events but we just got our asses kicked pal
Ulrich
A lot of good points in that article, especially in the quote you selected.

I very much appreciate the concept of world building. In fact, in my spare time I am building a world because working out new languages, systems of mathematics, a working economy, and so on is fascinating to me. But there are a couple things a writer should understand.

First, just because you built it doesn't mean you have to show it off. Maybe a society uses a different form of mathematics and that has real implications on social structures, trade, and architecture, but if the writer includes a passage on mathematics in a novel he will have failed as a writer. If the characters would take it for granted, the published work probably should, too.

That's a very technological example, and my second point deals with a scale whose endpoints are technology and magic. Items toward the technology end of the scale should have very rational, prosaic explanations. Explanations for items on the magic end of the scale should be mystical and poetic. That's true even if the explanation never makes it on the screen/page.

Lucas broke both "rules". First, he used precious screen time to explain something that didn't need to be explained. Second, he used biology to explain a concept that had, up to that point, always been spiritual.

Yoda: "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Quigon: "Midi-chlorians are a microcopic lifeform that reside within all living cells and communicates with the Force.... We are symbionts with them."

Yoda specifically repudiated the idea of a physical explanation, which means that midichlorians actually violated a third rule as well: they were inconsistent with the established rules of the universe.
Ulrich
hurleyag said:

Remember when FSU hosted an AMA with Jameis Winston after the sexual assault allegations and crab leg incident? This reminds me a lot of that.
The Collective
AG
I don't understand why Lucasfilm openly trolls its own fan base.
TCTTS
AG
Especially after Lucas opened his mouth about his version of the trilogy. Fans could have directed their focus/hate on that for at least a week. It was the perfect distraction.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
A lot of the lore originated from things that happened on set, lazy script writing, or the arbitrary bad judgement of Lucas as he grew older. Fans, fiction writers, and video game studios try to create a consistent universe from that.

Example: light sabers.
Khyber crystals used by Jedi were originally only supposed to come in blue. Then Lucas added green to emphasis Luke had stepped out of Anakins shadow in Return of the Jedi, but really it just showed up better on camera.

Sith-made light sabers are red b/c they use synthetic crystals making for a slightly more powerful blade when energized by the dark side of the Force. But originally audiances needed to tell who was who. Vader was a bad guy so he got red.

Then when Samuel L. Jackson played Mace Windu in Ep. 1, 2 and 3 he asked for a Purple Light Saber because that's his favorite color.

That blew open the doors for fiction writers. Now lightsaber crystals indicate a Jedi's chosen class. Blue indicates a Jedi who uses the Force on a more physical level. Green indicates a Jedi who prefers to reflect on the mysteries of the Force and fight the dark side at its heart. Yellow is for the Jedi who guard the Jedi Temple, yadda, yadda and so on.

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
AliasMan02
AG
The lightsaber by class thing isn't canon. Temple guards get yellow and bled crystals used by dark siders are red, but the colors don't tie in otherwise.

Most are blue or green, but others are purple (two such examples) or varying shades of blue or green (like Ahsoka's yellowish green blade). Bled crystals that are redeemed create white blades.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I will never get tired of cool Star Wars art.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Flashdiaz said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

TCTTS said:

ok. but it's still unnecessary. The only reason to have this explanation then is because midichlorians were introduced in the first place... it's a 360 which gets you to the exact place you were before. Just do a special edit and remove references to midichlorians and jarjar and call it a day.
Bruh, I know. It's currently part of canon, which sucks, but the only way to make it even jive (if it has to exist) with the Star Wars we know is to change it's relationship.

Does anyone recall the "paddle" testers that Luke discovered in... what book - "The Courtship of Princess Leia"?
First Page Last Page
Page 727 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.