Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,827 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Urban Ag said:

All I want for IX is Force Ghost Luke to appear to Rey and say "hey, so remember when you handed me my lightsaber and I just kind of tossed it over my shoulder? Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking. In fact, I just wasn't myself the whole time you were on the island. Also, your parents were really, really, important people. Just FYI."

your father had an affair with an old flame after Ben was born.
Ulrich
1. No more backstory. Anyone younger than 35 has gotten 5 movies of backstory and only 2 of truly new content

2. Two of the following need to be pretty familiar in each movie: characters, plot structure, theme

3. If they need a character type that isn't in the toolbox, create a new character instead of *******izing an existing one

4. The rules of physics/Force can't keep changing without explanation

5. Most important... get an outline together, stop winging it on the main storyline

"Unofficial" point: ditch Rian Johnson because the only evidence I've seen suggests that he's not a good movie director. Some say that he has done good work in the past, so I'll concede the point before arguing about it.
Ag Since 83
AG
1. Ignore all the complaining about Rey's parentage. Run with it and make it work.
bangobango
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The main thing that video made me realize is how badly choreographed part of the throne room fight was. You'd think they would take a close look at each and every person in the frame.
Oh, it gets much worse than that:

I believe there is another clip, too, where the two knives meld back into one long staff b/c Rey missed her mark to duck.
tamusc
AG
bangobango said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The main thing that video made me realize is how badly choreographed part of the throne room fight was. You'd think they would take a close look at each and every person in the frame.
Oh, it gets much worse than that:

I believe there is another clip, too, where the two knives meld back into one long staff b/c Rey missed her mark to duck.
That scene was still ****ing awesome.
WestAustinAg
AG
No, 'Star Wars' Isn't Failing Because Of Hateful Trolls. It's Failing Because Kathleen Kennedy Has Done A Garbage Job.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They should've brought back Nick Gillard.
WestAustinAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Farmer1906 said:

Couldn't the same argument be made for Vader?

he killed children (lots of them)
tried to kill mentor and best friend and years later actually did
choked his pregnant wife and eventually she died because of him
helped created one of the most devastating weapons in the galaxy.
killed made his daughter what her adopted home world get destroyed along with everyone she was close to
tried to kill his son (3x)
killed freedom fighters
killed women and children sand people
Yes, to a point. But there is one HUGE, key difference.

Vader sacrifices himself for his son. At least there is some redemption there, for that one thing only. He does a single selfishly unselfish thing to save his son. No the scales are not balanced, and he should not have been a force ghost at the end of Jedi.

Kylo has nothing like that. He has no love for anyone; he has noting to sacrifice himself for.
The ONLY sacrifice play he has is to kill himself, if it could theoretically destroy the dark side forever.

And as bad as TLJ is, they would not go that way with Ep 9.
"It's the redemption stupid". Movie characters without a trace of redeeming goodness in any form are one of the laziest hollywood traditions there are. They ruin great films all the time.

It is the evil person's humanity that makes them interesting. Kylo has no humanity. He didn't even have a past that made him this angry little evo character. So he went from being a character we all wanted to know more about to being completely uninteresting.

PDWT_12
AG
I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread expecting some cool news to have dropped or for people's favorite characters/moment rankings like we had about 10 pages back.
Ulrich
PDWT_12 said:

I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread expecting some cool news to have dropped or for people's favorite characters/moment rankings like we had about 10 pages back.

Spoiler alert... the next movie is 18 months away. There's not much to do but make stuff up or talk about things that already happened.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Probably doesn't matter much at this point, but I removed the no Solo spoilers disclaimer in the OP.

So Solo spoilers are fair game from this post forward.
Render
AG
Those are all great points, especially the 3rd one. And jabberwalkie is right, slow the roll with 2-3 years between movies. I'll add to those with:

1: Wait 1-2 years after IX to build back interest in the brand. Have Weiss and Benioff write a 3 episode-epic arc set 1000 years in the future in a new part of the galaxy with Peter Jackson directing. Past history would only be VAGUELY alluded to, like how the past was in LOTR.

2: Meanwhile, make the spinoff stories your experimental, mid-budget, world building movies. Let creative directors do their thing, but no touching the current main timeline or foundational stuff (ex: Force physics, prior character backstories, etc.) Make discrete movies in the same universe.

Secondary stuff:

3: Lure Genndy Tartakovsky away from Sony to make another SW animated series.

4: End the deal with soulless EA, and reboot Lucasarts. Start up the canned 1313 project and get some mid-budget developers onboard to make some great games with substance.
Urban Ag
AG
WestAustinAg said:

No, 'Star Wars' Isn't Failing Because Of Hateful Trolls. It's Failing Because Kathleen Kennedy Has Done A Garbage Job.
Pretty hard to dispute that article. As someone posted awhile back, if you think the hateful uber nerds boycotted Solo you're out of your mind. They're not happy until they're miserable. Of course they saw it.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons why Solo bombed but nerd boycotts isn't one of them. The biggest reason is the product. TFA was allright. So so. The TLJ was just not a good movie. Interest is waning. The super fans don't push these movies north of half a billion. Average movie goers do. Hope they turn it around.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Peter Jackson doing a Star Wars would be ****ing amazing.

He's a star wars fanatic, btw.
Render
AG
Oh I didn't know he was, all the better then! I just chose him because he handled LOTR with such professionalism. People blame him for The Hobbit debacles, but I watched the behind the scenes and he actually just got caught-up in a no-win situation. Really fascinating watch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, he inherited an absolute cluster**** after Del Toro's departure.
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

The one good thing Rian Johnson do was at least not kill off the Knights of Ren.

We now know this:

isn't from the night Kylo burns down the Jedi temple.

i'm going to go ahead and expect this is a confrontation at Vader's castle in Episode 9.... JJ, don't fail me again!

Yes!
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, he inherited an absolute cluster**** after Del Toro's departure.
There is a cluster ****s and then there is goblins with balls on chin, horrible romance, Legolas defying laws of gravity, bird **** in hair, etc etc etc

Ulrich
Brian Earl Spilner said:

1,000% on board, LOTR is a masterpiece.

I started a gigantic post one time about how to make a trilogy using LOTR as the example with special focus on Two Towers vs TLJ, but it was going to be way too long and also I remembered that everyone is kind of sick of talking about TLJ.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

THAT CGI THO
The Collective
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

THAT CGI THO

Brian is cool wit dat.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
CJS4715 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

THAT CGI THO

Brian is cool wit dat.
I can't wait for the space battle with 23 Bulwarks, 700 Dreadnaughts, 250 MonCals, 800 Nebulon Bs, 1,500 A-Wings, 600 Y-Wings, 350 B-Wings, and 6,000 X-wings vs 278 Imperial II Class Star Destroyers, 2,000 Carracks, 217 Interdictors, 500 Victory II SDs, 7 Super SDs, 500 TIE Bombers, 450 TIE Defenders, 700 TIE Advanced, 2,015 TIE Interceptors, and 8,000 TIE Fighters ...

The Imperials are winning decisively, but the Millenium Falcon shows up with with entire Hapan Battle Fleet and the Chiss Expansionary Defense Force to save the day.
Render
AG
I agree those things were bad, but there was a reason for all of it. Jackson was literally flying by the seat of his pants. This video succinctly explains what went wrong during the whole process.

Render
AG
Wouldn't some cloaked asteroids help the Alliance win more efficiently?...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

THAT CGI THO

I can't tell which way to take this.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
If 5 friends who play in the same Dungeons and Dragons group and also fall under the extreme Star Wars fanboy subset go to see one of the films, historically they will do it 5 times.

So 5 dorks 5 tickets $10 per ticket is $2500.

But they see the movie, and hate it. They break the cycle of repeat business and that leaves a 200% profit loss.

They are boycotting the ritual of repeat business. I think this hit Solo hard.

Not only that, this subset of fanboys are very negative, they're over critical, and they're pedantic and vocal. Word of mouth can be your friend or it can ram a socket wrench up your ass.

And there's the other fans that boycotted like me. I streamed it on my phone from some shady server based outta Mexico.

The nerds played a factor.

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Buck Compton
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

If 5 friends who play in the same Dungeons and Dragons group and also fall under the extreme Star Wars fanboy subset go to see one of the films, historically they will do it 5 times.

But they see the movie, and hate it. They break the cycle of repeat business and that leaves a 200% profit loss.

Not only that, this subset of fanboys are very negative, they're over critical, and they're pedantic and vocal. Word of mouth can be your friend or it can ram a socket wrench up your ass.

And there's the other fans that boycotted like me. I streamed it on my phone from some shady server based outta Mexico.

You weren't a math nerd, I guess.......
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
But I also think Disney over looked the number of casual movie goers who just were not interested in a Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford.

The man's charisma, improv, and acting ability cover some the worst dialogue in film by George Lucax and a plot that requires you to shut down many intuitive parts of your lizard brain.

1977 audiences weren't super sophisticated. Today's audiences are idiots, too.
But they figure out a 9 hour chase seen in space between a star destroyer that can vaporize asteroids with a single blast at rane of 100,000 miles but some how cant nail down a cruise ship at 5 miles away or call for back up is, well, its bull *****

Rian Johnson is believed to be a good writer by some but I think his desire to be a big shot in Hollywood political circles caused him to make a script devoid of intellect, sophistication, intrigue or coherence.

Steve McQueen
SeattleAgJr

so you admit to stealing....

with an ag tag.
SeattleAgJr

(5 * 10) * 5) = $250, not $2500.00
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Quote:

You weren't a math nerd, I guess.......

Nah, I did the math in my head because I was too lazy to get a notepad. Looks like I added a zero. Let me try again.

5 10 5 =$250 typical profits
4 x 10 5 =$200 loss in profit
So 250/200 = 0.8

Move the decimal over one, two to the right and that's 80%

So among this example group boxoffice take went down $200 with an 80% drop in profits.

Then multiply that times a few hundred thousand hardcore fans across America, Canada, UK, The EU, then yeah fans not going played a factor.

I have a PhD in Clinical Psychology so lucky me, 9th grade Algebra isn't a huge deal in maintaing Texas State Certifications

Gig'em Smartass

Steve McQueen
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
except the $250 wouldn't be profit anyway.

thats revenue... and the theater typically keeps half on average and the studio gets the other half.

but whatever..made up numbers for dorks anyway... and apparently no use arguing math or finances with you.

fig96
AG
It's still an insanely hypothetical situation that has zero basis in fact. The number of folks that see a film more than once is small, and more than twice has to be an incredibly miniscule percentage.

Almost everyone I know went to see TFA and TLJ, and a lot of them went to see Rogue One. Most of them were not hardcore fans. Most of those same people did not go to see Solo. That's where the money went.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
You guys are too smart for me.

I'm making a run for It!

I REGRET NOTHINGGGGGG!

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG
He would have doubled down on midichlorians, basically. Wow...

First Page Last Page
Page 726 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.