Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,093 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

It will be the first star wars third act to not make more than the movie before it.

But I earlier added the caveat "unless Disney makes drastic changes," so remember that. If Kennedy steps down or they appoint a creative director, and if Lucasfilm starts reaching out to the fans they alienated and apologizes/reconciles/just acts like their complaints have some validity and not call them all racists or sexists, then it can still recover. I think they would also have to find a way to work Mark Hammil back into the movie and they have to let everybody know that he will have the type of moment everyone wanted for him in episode VIII.

Episode IX literally starts filming next month. There are no "drastic changes" coming at this point. For the most part, that movie is going to be what it's going to be, and with someone like Abrams at the helm there will almost assuredly be no big moves behind the scenes in terms of a new director coming in to "fix" things or the movie undergoing a massive overhaul in post.

And the idea that Kennedy potentially leaving or Lucasfilm "apologizing" in the next 18 month will somehow affect box office is preposterous. You HAVE to realize that the vast majority of the movie going audience has NO IDEA who Kathleen Kennedy is. And you HAVE to realize that of the relatively small percentage of fans who are truly offended by the SJW-ness of TLJ to the point of action - the ones forming these laughable boycotts - did not and can not possibly affect the box office in any measurable way.

Again, fatigue certainly played into Solo's poor box office, but NOT any kind of boycott.

In other words. None of this sh*t will affect the box office in the least. The more rationale of those offended by the SJW-ness of TLJ will still see Episode IX. And after 18 months of no Star Wars, and this being billed as not only Rey's/Kylo's final movie - but the final movie in the Skywalker saga - audiences will be there in droves. It may not break records, but it's certainly not going to bomb, and will likely compete with TLJ in terms of box office, if not do even better, should it get genuinely good reviews/word-of-mouth from fans.

Quote:

But if they go in with no Han, no Leia, and no Luke, yeah, it's going to bomb big time - for a star wars movie.

You do realize that two of these actor's character's have been killed in-story and the third died in real life, right? I don't even understand this "solve"/critique.

Quote:

TLJ had the biggest weekend one to weekend two drop in the history of American cinema because people got word of mouth from the FANS that it was a crap movie.

This isn't even a remotely factual statement. Like, not even close. Blatantly false claims like this are why it's getting harder and harder to take you at all seriously.
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

There have been some odd birds coming out of the woodwork in force lately on this entertainment board in the past 6 months or so. Very opinionated, very adamant about their position, and very vocal about it.

I blame Star Wars.

This. The Star Wars threads, in particular, are certainly worse than they've ever been, and the Entertainment board as a whole has definitely been "off" lately due in part to some of these weird new faces.

And I'm partly to blame, because I keep engaging a lot of these "odd birds."

I'm going to do my part and take a break from Star Wars posts for a while, and after the craziness that was this last week on the board as a whole, I'm going to take it down a few notches overall for a while. Just hoping this storm will pass...
Urban Ag
AG
Yep. This thread, maybe even this board, has become the equivalent of the Football board when we go 6-0 then lose the next 4 outta 6.

So many similarities between Aggies and SW fans. Scary kind of.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

TLJ had the biggest weekend one to weekend two drop in the history of American cinema because people got word of mouth from the FANS that it was a crap movie.

This isn't even a remotely factual statement. Like, not even close. Blatantly false claims like this are why it's getting harder and harder to take you at all seriously.

Yes. Laughable really... it ranks 166th on first to second weekend drops.....at 67.5% drop.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/drops.htm

And even among big big $50+ million opening weekend movies these all ranked WORSE for 2nd weekend drop.

Batman v. Superman
Twilight 2 and both parts 1 and 2 of the finale
Hulk
Fifty Shades of Grey
X-Men Wolverine
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Suicide Squad was basically even at 67.4%

These also fell nearly as much
Dark Knight Rises fell over 60%
Deadpool 2 dropped 65%
HP and DH 1 was over 60% also
Spiderman Homecoming dropped 62%

Several other DC, Transformers, Pirates, X-Men and F&F movies all had 60%+ drops.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bangobango is likely just getting off on the attention. That's how his posts come across to me anyway.

He's been posting the same doom and gloom rhetoric since December.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
TCTTS said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

There have been some odd birds coming out of the woodwork in force lately on this entertainment board in the past 6 months or so. Very opinionated, very adamant about their position, and very vocal about it.

I blame Star Wars.

This. The Star Wars threads, in particular, are certainly worse than they've ever been, and the Entertainment board as a whole has definitely been "off" lately due in part to some of these weird new faces.

And I'm partly to blame, because I keep engaging a lot of these "odd birds."

I'm going to do my part and take a break from Star Wars posts for a while, and after the craziness that was this last week on the board as a whole, I'm going to take it down a few notches overall for a while. Just hoping this storm will pass...

Yeah, I just checked and NONE of y'all are allowed to post less.

I'm sorry, it out of my hands.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
fig96
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

Quote:

Yes. Laughable really... it ranks 166th on first to second weekend drops.....at 67.5% drop.

And even among big big $50+ million opening weekend movies these all ranked WORSE for 2nd weekend drop.

Batman v. Superman
Twilight 2 and both parts 1 and 2 of the finale
Hulk
Fifty Shades of Grey
X-Men Wolverine
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Suicide Squad was basically even at 67.4%

These also fell nearly as much
Dark Knight Rises fell over 60%
Deadpool 2 dropped 65%
HP and DH 1 was over 60% also
Spiderman Homecoming dropped 62%

Several other DC, Transformers, Pirates, X-Men and F&F movies all had 60%+ drops.

I say biggest in history, you say #166...to-may-to, to-mah-to....
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Speaking of Star Wars, why are videogame topics only in the nerdery?

Steve McQueen
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

It will be the first star wars third act to not make more than the movie before it.

But I earlier added the caveat "unless Disney makes drastic changes," so remember that. If Kennedy steps down or they appoint a creative director, and if Lucasfilm starts reaching out to the fans they alienated and apologizes/reconciles/just acts like their complaints have some validity and not call them all racists or sexists, then it can still recover. I think they would also have to find a way to work Mark Hammil back into the movie and they have to let everybody know that he will have the type of moment everyone wanted for him in episode VIII.

Episode IX literally starts filming next month. There are no "drastic changes" coming at this point. For the most part, that movie is going to be what it's going to be, and with someone like Abrams at the helm there will almost assuredly be no big moves behind the scenes in terms of a new director coming in to "fix" things or the movie undergoing a massive overhaul in post.

And the idea that Kennedy potentially leaving or Lucasfilm "apologizing" in the next 18 month will somehow affect box office is preposterous. You HAVE to realize that the vast majority of the movie going audience has NO IDEA who Kathleen Kennedy is. And you HAVE to realize that of the relatively small percentage of fans who are truly offended by the SJW-ness of TLJ to the point of action - the ones forming these laughable boycotts - did not and can not possibly affect the box office in any measurable way.

Again, fatigue certainly played into Solo's poor box office, but NOT any kind of boycott.

In other words. None of this sh*t will affect the box office in the least. The more rationale of those offended by the SJW-ness of TLJ will still see Episode IX. And after 18 months of no Star Wars, and this being billed as not only Rey's/Kylo's final movie - but the final movie in the Skywalker saga - audiences will be there in droves. It may not break records, but it's certainly not going to bomb, and will likely compete with TLJ in terms of box office, if not do even better, should it get genuinely good reviews/word-of-mouth from fans.

Quote:

But if they go in with no Han, no Leia, and no Luke, yeah, it's going to bomb big time - for a star wars movie.

You do realize that two of these actor's character's have been killed in-story and the third died in real life, right? I don't even understand this "solve"/critique.

Quote:

Quote:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is set to have the biggest week-to-week drop at the box office, based on total dollar amount, in box office history.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/12/24/star-wars-the-last-jedi-week-to-week-box-office-drop/

Fits nicely with your "Solo is a mild success" quote from earlier. You just keep being proven wrong and wrong, yet you continue with your condescending tone towards me.

Quote:

Now for the dark side of this news. The Last Jedi "lost more money between its first and second weekends than any film ever, by a lot," as Forbes put it. The film's $151 million drop is a greater gap than the $121 million between the first two weekends of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/24/star-wars-the-last-jedi-had-a-massive-second-weekend-drop-at-the-box-office

And here you will come with "it was a Christmas Sunday" for an excuse.
The Collective
AG
Meltdowns are fun.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is set to have the biggest week-to-week drop at the box office, based on total dollar amount, in box office history.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/12/24/star-wars-the-last-jedi-week-to-week-box-office-drop/

Fits nicely with your "Solo is a mild success" quote from earlier. You just keep being proven wrong and wrong, yet you continue with your condescending tone towards me.

LOL...

you do realize percentage is the more accepted determination..... it would be hard for ANY film to drop $150MM when 99.999% of films never make $150-$200MM opening weekend to begin with.

Box Office Mojo - the widely accepted fan site for BO numbers doesn't even track a raw dollars drop from week to week ONLY PERCENTAGE.

In the history of movies in the US only 18 movies EVER have made more than $150MM opening weekend and most barely exceeded that only 6 made more than $200MM.

So it would be incredibly hard for any other films to drop that much.

In fact as the article you posted said the previous record belonged to.... SW:TFA....so the SJW nature of TLJ had nothing to do with TFA drop, nor the other criticisms of TLJ really. In fact the previous record holder for most precipitous drop is considered a box office smash hit. Weird huh.

Just asinine really.

And I did post the data showing TLJ was 166th in 2nd week drop according to percentage on BOM.

bearamedic99
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

tradition?
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
bearamedic99 said:

tradition?

Well, Tevye, E3 starts in 12minutes and is being streamed on YouTube.

Steve McQueen
AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

amercer said:

Solo failed because the general public had zero interest in a young Han Solo movie 30 years late. (Also, it probably would have made money had they not shot the film twice) It had nothing to do with fanboys bitter over TLJ, since all of them saw Solo anyway...
Nope. Sit back and hide when Episode IX is released. Unless Disney makes drastic moves, that move is going to tank like you would not believe.

For the endless noise you talk and for how your major hobby seems to be calling people out on Star Wars threads, I feel like you need to put a number to this claim, for the record. Like, total box office domestic and international

Nope. Sorry, I hate playing referee, but I can't let this stand so I stopped reading.

You said it would tank like we wouldn't believe (with some caveats that are irrelevant because they won't happen).

Are you suggesting that ONLY being the #9 and/or #12 domestic/international is tanking like we wouldn't believe?

Come on, man. Don't be a troll. You made the incredibly bold declaration, now actually back it up.
Towns03
AG
bangobango said:

I think this guy sums a lot of the complaints up pretty well (Language warning):

This is my first time on the ETBoard, I came here to rip the Last Jedi as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This clip does the job perfectly.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bangobango said:

AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

amercer said:

Solo failed because the general public had zero interest in a young Han Solo movie 30 years late. (Also, it probably would have made money had they not shot the film twice) It had nothing to do with fanboys bitter over TLJ, since all of them saw Solo anyway...
Nope. Sit back and hide when Episode IX is released. Unless Disney makes drastic moves, that move is going to tank like you would not believe.

For the endless noise you talk and for how your major hobby seems to be calling people out on Star Wars threads, I feel like you need to put a number to this claim, for the record. Like, total box office domestic and international

Awesome by your logic Empire Strikes Back is a complete failure too.

I mean it made about 32% less then SW - 307MM SW vs. 209MM ESB on initial release.

Ep2 only made 29.9% less than Ep1

TLJ made 33.7% less than TFA

So ESB is worse than Ep2 and barely better than TLJ.

Perfect logic.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just another example that he's just trolling. Stop giving him the time of day or he'll never stop.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Total Revamp of Battlefront II, And a new game called Dark Jedi taking place between Ep 3 & 4

Electronic Arts is gay.

Steve McQueen
Grimey
Personally, I think that Luke wil be back in a big way now that Carrie Fisher is dead. I think that Luke will fit in nicely as the redemptive force for Kylo Ren. The blublie force angel on his shoulder, as you will. This lets Luke finish what he could not in life, and let's him correct his personal mistakes.
AliasMan02
AG

Total Revamp of Battlefront II, And a new game called Dark Jedi taking place between Ep 3 & 4

Electronic Arts is gay.

EA is becoming something of a boogieman. I have no concerns about Rocksteady developing this game.

And the game is called Fallen Order.
bangobango
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL...

you do realize percentage is the more accepted determination..... it would be hard for ANY film to drop $150MM when 99.999% of films never make $150-$200MM opening weekend to begin with.

Box Office Mojo - the widely accepted fan site for BO numbers doesn't even track a raw dollars drop from week to week ONLY PERCENTAGE.

In the history of movies in the US only 18 movies EVER have made more than $150MM opening weekend and most barely exceeded that only 6 made more than $200MM.

In fact as the article you posted said the previous record belonged to.... SW:TFA....so the SJW nature of TLJ had nothing to do with TFA drop, nor the other criticisms of TLJ really. In fact the previous record holder for most precipitous drop is considered a box office smash hit. Weird huh.

Just asinine really.

And I did post the data showing TLJ was 166th in 2nd week drop according to percentage on BOM.

So, in other words, it was a factually correct statement, huh?
bearamedic99
AG
i love Fiddler on the Roof
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bangobango said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL...

Just asinine really.

So, in other words, it was a factually correct statement, huh?

And completely irrelevant, meaningless and only of use to someone trying to prove a point that doesn't matter... to anyone.

Congratulations.
SeattleAgJr
Grimey said:

Personally, I think that Luke wil be back in a big way now that Carrie Fisher is dead. I think that Luke will fit in nicely as the redemptive force for Kylo Ren. The blublie force angel on his shoulder, as you will. This lets Luke finish what he could not in life, and let's him correct his personal mistakes.
is there any one actually rooting for kylo's "redemption"

unlike Anakin who was manipulated into his position but accepted it, Kylo is a completely self-designed and
created monster who has done the worst atrocities because he wanted to.

and Anakin's redemption was solely about his kid, not for all of the atrocities he did. and it was unselfish.
Kylo has nothing like that for him.

he killed his dad.
tried to kill his mom.
tried to kill rey
tried to kill luke
killed his fellow students
killed his master
killed indiscriminately

the movies better end with him being absolutely and totally destroyed.
bearamedic99
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Grimey said:

is there any one actually rooting for kylo's "redemption"

unlike Anakin who was manipulated into his position but accepted it, Kylo is a completely self-designed and
created monster who has done the worst atrocities because he wanted to.

and Anakin's redemption was solely about his kid, not for all of the atrocities he did. and it was unselfish.
Kylo has nothing like that for him.

he killed his dad.
tried to kill his mom.
tried to kill rey
tried to kill luke
killed his fellow students
killed his master
killed indiscriminately

the movies better end with him being absolutely and totally destroyed.

everybody loves a good redemption story
The Collective
AG
Meh. Screw Kylo. Hope Rey kills his ass when he is unarmed vis a vis Anakin and Dooku.

Edit: I like the character Kylo, but he deserves to die without redemption for killing Han.
Urban Ag
AG
Towns03 said:

bangobango said:

I think this guy sums a lot of the complaints up pretty well (Language warning):

This is my first time on the ETBoard, I came here to rip the Last Jedi as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. This clip does the job perfectly.
You know, I was about to respond something to the effect of "get over it" but I actually sat through all 22 minutes of that and have to say........damn, TLJ was even worse than I thought. Wow.
Grimey
SeattleAgJr said:

Anakin tried to kill his wife.
tried to kill Obi-Wan, then actually killed Obi-Wan
slaughtered a whole village of sand people
killed his fellow Jedi during Order 66
hunted down and killed Jedi after the war
Killed scores of children (younglings)
killed his master (Palpatine)
killed indiscriminately

Kylo Ren is just barely catching Anakin on the atrocity scale, and you don't think he deserves a chance at redemption? Luke, Rey, and Leia sure do. The real difference is that Vader was a likeable badass, while Kylo seems whiny like Anakin in EP3.

TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag said:

Towns03 said:

bangobango said:

You know, I was about to respond something to the effect of "get over it" but I actually sat through all 22 minutes of that and have to say........damn, TLJ was even worse than I thought. Wow.

Popping back in to share this exact sentiment. TLJ is, indeed, even worse than I thought, after watching that all the way through. It definitely put into words what I had been trying to express for a while now, while also shining a light on problems I had never even considered.

However... you know what I'm NOT going to do? Express ill will toward Rian Johnson, whine about it like I'm 12, try to drive any of the actors off social media, or boycott this franchise forever.

You know what I AM going to do? Get on with my life and not let this affect me in any way, shape, or form, because I'm a grown ass man with literally thousands of other movies and television shows I can find immense satisfaction in. Along with every thing else life has to offer.

Now, back to doing just that...
Furlock Bones
AG
Urban Ag said:

Towns03 said:

bangobango said:

i just watched TLJ last Friday. i had not read much about it as Rogue One had soured me on the franchise pretty big time. but, then i saw Solo. while its not perfect, it was fun and entertaining.

so, i watched TLJ and had a few of the same thoughts as this guy namely is it revolved around Admiral Holdo and the Finn/Rose trope. but, it was a sort of enjoyable watch though it felt too long and too many thrown together story lines.

if TLJ was just a movie by itself, it wouldn't be bad. it would be a well shot, campy space flick. but, its not. it is part of a larger story line that ****s all over what we know and does so for no discernible reason other than to pull m. night shyamalan twists on the audience.

edit for wrong name.
gougler08
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Urban Ag said:

Towns03 said:

bangobango said:

i just watched TLJ last Friday. i had not read much about it as Rogue One had soured me on the franchise pretty big time. but, then i saw Solo. while its not perfect, it was fun and entertaining.

so, i watched TLJ and had a few of the same thoughts as this guy namely is it revolved around General Hux and the Finn/Rose trope. but, it was a sort of enjoyable watch though it felt too long and too many thrown together story lines.

if TLJ was just a movie by itself, it wouldn't be bad. it would be a well shot, campy space flick. but, its not. it is part of a larger story line that ****s all over what we know and does so for no discernible reason other than to pull m. night shyamalan twists on the audience.

You thought Rogue One was bad? Most people have that as a top 3 Star Wars movie...
Furlock Bones
AG
i'm aware that i'm in the minority on that one. but, yes i very much disliked Rogue One.
Farmer1906
AG
Couldn't the same argument be made for Vader?

he killed children (lots of them)
tried to kill mentor and best friend and years later actually did
choked his pregnant wife and eventually she died because of him
helped created one of the most devastating weapons in the galaxy.
killed made his daughter what her adopted home world get destroyed along with everyone she was close to
tried to kill his son (3x)
killed freedom fighters
killed women and children sand people
The Collective
AG
Kylo seems to kill due to his insecurities; Vader killed because he thought he was right.
Flashdiaz
AG
Grimey said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Anakin tried to kill his wife.
tried to kill Obi-Wan, then actually killed Obi-Wan
slaughtered a whole village of sand people
killed his fellow Jedi during Order 66
hunted down and killed Jedi after the war
Killed scores of children (younglings)
killed his master (Palpatine)
killed indiscriminately

Kylo Ren is just barely catching Anakin on the atrocity scale, and you don't think he deserves a chance at redemption? Luke, Rey, and Leia sure do. The real difference is that Vader was a likeable badass, while Kylo seems whiny like Anakin in EP3.

By the end of TLJ, haven't they all given up on Kylo? It's been a while but doesn't Luke tell her he can't save him. and she agrees.
Then at the end, in the final vision between Rey and Kylo they see each other and the metaphorical and literal door closes on Kylo indicating Rey doesn't think Kylo can be saved like she once did.

The difference is now, no one believes in the good in Kylo anymore.
First Page Last Page
Page 724 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.