Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,480 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by TCTTS
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Using the force to mask his presence and that of Luke, 24x7, for 19 years.
Massive aging.

/head canon.

(Groan)

(Sigh)

Which again begs the question if he's hiding why is he throwing around his real name like ones at a stripper and dressing like a Jedi in Tunisia.

I bet he even had his number listed in the phone book.

Don't make excuses for George. It only encourages bad behavior.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
SeattleAgJr
He used an alias... Ben Kenobi. During the Clone Wars he was known as Obi-Wan so there you go he was incognito - "this is not the incognito Jedi Knight you are looking for"

And how do you not know that the name Kenobi is not like Smith in the Star Wars universe
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

He used an alias... Ben Kenobi. During the Clone Wars he was known as Obi-Wan so there you go he was incognito - "this is not the incognito Jedi Knight you are looking for"

And how do you not know that the name Kenobi is not like Smith in the Star Wars universe

Maybe.

Or...

Storm trooper proof.

Steve McQueen
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This was Ben's disguise for most of the 20 years on Tatooine.

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This was Ben's disguise for most of the 20 years on Tatooine.

Ha! I've seen that movie.

Gave you a star.

Steve McQueen
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What was it?
TCTTS
AG
Screenshot of a Facebook post where some guy who was like the "leader" of the anti-Kelly Marie Tran movement was celebrating getting her off of social media. It was super demented and f*cked up.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What a pathetic life form.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Funny.

But that last line... why?

Do these guys not realize that in the history of F_cking no dork has ever gotten laid by sucking up to women?

Dork:
"I made an internet movie for you about the feminist issues you were talking about at work Kristine!"

Kristine/Woman with Functiong Vagina:

"Oh my God!
That's so fun-nay!
You're a good friend, Dork.
Have you seen, Ryan? He said he might do me from behind in the supply closet if he can fit it in. I kinda love it when he keeps me waiting! Confidence is so hot!
Well, buy! Liked your Star Trek movie-thing."

But the Dork never learns. (Sad face)

Steve McQueen
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Screenshot of a Facebook post where some guy who was like the "leader" of the anti-Kelly Marie Tran movement was celebrating getting her off of social media. It was super demented and f*cked up.

I don't normally endorse doxing, but...
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

Stupid.

TCTTS, you say you did not like the movie, yet you continue to post stuff like this with cry/lol face as though you really think the only problem with TLJ was a bunch of racists misogynist not liking the movie.

It's all BS. Disney ran with that narrative to try to keep the heat off of their franchise for sucking, and some of you lap that crap up. It's a small minority of people who are actually being racists/misogynist in their disdain for this movie. The box office flop of Solo should have made that obvious to anybody who was still buying into that BS.

I, and many others, had ZERO problems with TFA and Rey as the main protagonist, so this woman hating narrative is complete and total BS.

What pissed so many people off when it comes to the SJW stuff is that it appears they made a ****ty movie because they were trying so hard to be overly PC. If Holdo didn't suck, if Rey actually had a story arc and some development, if Tico was actually an interesting character that DID something, then nobody would have a problem with them including minorities and women as leads.

But when you make a crap movie and you step back and you look at it and you read all the quotes from the creators talking about all this political crap, then you start to say to yourself - "You mean this guy Rian Johnson and this woman Kathleen Kennedy took this great franchise and these great characters and just did some really awful things with them all so they could feel good about themselves for including women?"

That's where the frustration sets in and why people start screaming about the SJW. If they would've stuck the landing, or if they'd kept their mouths shut about the PC stuff, or if they'd not started calling everybody racists/misogynist who didn't like the movie, then you would not have had the snap back that you have (except for the LUKE stuff. I think many underestimate how bad that decision damaged the brand).
bangobango
AG
I think this guy sums a lot of the complaints up pretty well (Language warning):

TCTTS
AG
It's a funny-ish clip from a late night talk show.

Don't look to get so offended.

I don't think anyone here is a racist or a misogynist, and I've never intimated that any of those fringe types are populating this board in that regard. Have I mocked a few posters here for getting ridiculously upset that Kennedy/Johnson seemingly destroyed their childhood? Absolutely. But learn to tell the difference between those types and the psychos running Kelly Marie Tran off of social media.

I agree with you 100% about Holdo, Rose, etc. and I've expressed as much dozens of times. The forced SJW aspects are a large part of why TLJ didn't work. But that doesn't mean I can't laugh at the idiots getting irrationally upset and blowing those SJW aspects way out of proportion, or think that, at times, the Rose hate here gets a little too obsessive and intense. It's admittedly a fine line between the various degrees of hate, but know that I'm only calling to light and mocking the most extremes. Doing so doesn't mean I'm including YOU in that bunch.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

It's a funny-ish clip from a late night talk show.

Don't look to get so offended.

I don't think anyone here is a racist or a misogynist, and I've never intimated that any of those fringe types are populating this board in that regard. Have I mocked a few posters here for getting ridiculously upset that Kennedy/Johnson seemingly destroyed their childhood? Absolutely. But learn to tell the difference between those types and the psychos running Kelly Marie Tran off of social media.

I agree with you 100% about Holdo, Rose, etc. and I've expressed as much dozens of times. The forced SJW aspects are a large part of why TLJ didn't work. But that doesn't mean I can't laugh at the idiots getting irrationally upset and blowing those SJW aspects way out of proportion, or think that, at times, the Rose hate here gets a little too obsessive and intense. It's admittedly a fine line between the various degrees of hate, but know that I'm only calling to light and mocking the most extremes. Doing so doesn't mean I'm including YOU in that bunch.
This is your post to me earlier in this thread.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

bangobango said:
Solo tanking for star wars movie this weekend. Kathleen Kennedy gonna get her ass fired/reassigned withing a year.

Y'all keep thinking it was an angry minority that hated TLJ. I said the fallout of that debacle wouldn't be felt until Solo and episode IX. Hopefully whoever takes over for Kennedy runs Rian Johnson out of town, too.
AliasMan02 said:

This type of idiocy makes Star Wars fandom almost too toxic to handle. Kennedy isn't going anywhere until she decides to retire. Johnson is also around to stay... the studio loved him and have handed him the most important piece of the Star Wars future. And the hate for TLJ is driven my the tiniest of minorities; most think it is good, not great, but aren't out trying to overturn canon through Twitter asshattery. That whole conversation is driven by trolls who want the EU restored. These are not rational people and their voices matter very, very little. Lucasfilm does not care about RT fan ratings.

Was literally about to post something very similar. You hit the nail on the head.

First of all, the franchise is clearly evolving to a point where not every movie needs to break records. This is such a weird sentence to type, but Lucasfilm can afford a couple "mild successes" like Solo while they find their footing with these spin-off movies. Everyone involved has always known there would be growing pains, including the Disney bigwigs.

And yeah, you have absolutely no idea how this industry works if you think Kennedy will be run out within a year. She MIGHT at some point in the next three years or so decide to move on, but if she does it will be on her own accord, that's for sure.

Overall, sure, a couple of these movies have fallen short creatively, but they've made INSANE amounts of money all said and done. That, and merchandising is bigger than it's ever been. Solo underperforming by $20M is a drop in the bucket and changes nothing. It wasn't released at Christmas, but on a holiday summer weekend that has been underperforming for years now, with stiff competition from earlier in the month. Disney knows this, as does any rational person who's not one of these lunatic SW fans who gets irrationally upset while claiming the sky is suddenly falling.

This sh*t really is getting to be so toxic. People saying things like Lady Proxima was "pure trash" and getting so ridiculously upset at Rian Johnson... let me say this as frankly as possible... you sound insane. Again, I get not liking TLJ. Neither did I. And I get thinking Lady Proxima was maybe a little lame (even though I thought she was fine). It's not necessarily your opinions. It's HOW you're expressing those opinions that comes off as juvenile, creepy, and entitled.

You still think Solo is a "mild success"?
TCTTS
AG
Wait, what are we talking about now?

And how is that highlighted part in contrast to anything I just said?

As for Solo, it was a failure in terms of a Star Wars movie, sure, but still had a top 100 opening weekend of all time, is garnering good reviews, and will likely make its money back after streaming/Blu-ray. "Mild success" may not have been the exact right term, but you get my point.
amercer
AG
Solo failed because the general public had zero interest in a young Han Solo movie 30 years late. (Also, it probably would have made money had they not shot the film twice) It had nothing to do with fanboys bitter over TLJ, since all of them saw Solo anyway...
Urban Ag
AG
amercer said:

Solo failed because the general public had zero interest in a young Han Solo movie 30 years late. (Also, it probably would have made money had they not shot the film twice) It had nothing to do with fanboys bitter over TLJ, since all of them saw Solo anyway...
You're probably right and I am laughing my ass off right now.

Nice.

Philip J Fry
AG
amercer said:

A solo movie prior to TFA might have done well.
fig96
AG
Philip J Fry said:

amercer said:

A solo movie prior to TFA might have done well.
It might have done better, but that would've been because it was a year removed from the last Star Wars film in theaters and would've had a lot more hype.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

Wait, what are we talking about now?

And how is that highlighted part in contrast to anything I just said?

As for Solo, it was a failure in terms of a Star Wars movie, sure, but still had a top 100 opening weekend of all time, is garnering good reviews, and will likely make its money back after streaming/Blu-ray. "Mild success" may not have been the exact right term, but you get my point.
The post I replied to:

Quote:

Then I link a post where you call me insane and you act like you don't understand what I am talking about?

And Solo was a huge flop. Hilarious that you won't just admit that. I could make a movie under star wars franchise and make a $100 million. Well, at least I could do so before TLJ.

You guys that evaluate star wars movie's revenue as though it's a Owen Wilson Romcom are ridiculously disingenuous.

Almost as bad as repeatedly posting/quoting things that say everyone who hates TLJ is a alt-right troll and then throwing up your hands and saying "who me?" when you get called out on it.

You called me insane for saying TLJ was a flop and Kennedy would be re-assigned or fired within a year, two statements you would not categorically disown merely two weeks after they were made. And then you sit there and try to play both sides? Ridiculous.
bangobango
AG
amercer said:

Nope. Sit back and hide when Episode IX is released. Unless Disney makes drastic moves, that move is going to tank like you would not believe.
TCTTS
AG
I JUST explained that I was NOT calling "everyone" who hates TLJ an alt-right troll. Again... I'm mocking the extremist... of which I do not consider you one. How else can I spell that out?

And btw, your scatter-shot posts/quotes ARE confusing. I'm not "acting" like I don't know what you're talking about. I'm being as articulate as I can, but you're clearly looking for a reason to be offended while jumping back and forth between your various, pre-set critiques of me.

- I agree that Solo WAS a failure... for a Star Wars movie.

- I agree that TLJ suffered in part BECAUSE of its SJW-ness.

But someone who gets ridiculously, over-the-top mad at Rian Johnson, is, in fact, "insane." Because it's a ******* movie. And he's a well-meaning, hard-working, nice enough guy. And I assume most of us here are older than 12 years old.

Frankly, I don't remember if you were one of the ones being over-the-top or not.

I'm just saying - TO THE ABSOLUTE EXTREMISTS - to not be such sad, hateful weirdos. Like, rhetorically. But if you identify as one, then so be it. In that case, I guess I am calling you insane. But your subsequent post have had a level of sanity that lead me to believe you're not.

In that case, I'M WITH YOU.

But really, man, it's painfully obvious that you're bending over backwards to be offended at this point.

Chill.
fig96
AG
bangobango said:

amercer said:

Nope. Sit back and hide when Episode IX is released. Unless Disney makes drastic moves, that move is going to tank like you would not believe.
Ill take that bet.
ja86
AG
jesus ****ing christ... if this much passion was used to solve world peace.... **** it that doesn't work either.

PatAg
AG
bangobango said:

amercer said:

you're a strange bird
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
It would be kind of fun if Ep. IX did tank. Like crashes HARD. The kind of crash where board members are jumping out of windows or found dead in a Bangkok hotel bathroom.
Not for any reason in paticular; it's just sometimes fun to watch the world burn.
Enron level catastrophic failures fascinate and entertain me; I don't know why.

I don't like Rian Johnson's face. There something about it... it's just wrong.
I guarantee you he has a young woman caged in his basement behind sea aquarium glass with an intercom so he can taunt them. Or maybe like the dungeon in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

He probably uses knock out gas and then dresses them in different Princess Leia outfits. When it finally comes time for the brass bikini from Jabba's Palace it's time for the body's disposal... and then comes the ritual of choosing his next victim.

Twisted f--ker.

Steve McQueen
Ag Since 83
AG
Wait, are you saying Rian Johnson is Mr. Plinkett?
bangobango
AG
I don't think Rian Johnson even likes Star Wars. Certainly not enough to have a Leia fetish.
AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

amercer said:

For the endless noise you talk and for how your major hobby seems to be calling people out on Star Wars threads, I feel like you need to put a number to this claim, for the record. Like, total box office domestic and international
FL_Ag1998
AG
There have been some odd birds coming out of the woodwork in force lately on this entertainment board in the past 6 months or so. Very opinionated, very adamant about their position, and very vocal about it.

I blame Star Wars.
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

bangobango said:

amercer said:

For the endless noise you talk and for how your major hobby seems to be calling people out on Star Wars threads, I feel like you need to put a number to this claim, for the record. Like, total box office domestic and international
It will be the first star wars third act to not make more than the movie before it.

But I earlier added the caveat "unless Disney makes drastic changes," so remember that. If Kennedy steps down or they appoint a creative director, and if Lucasfilm starts reaching out to the fans they alienated and apologizes/reconciles/just acts like their complaints have some validity and not call them all racists or sexists, then it can still recover. I think they would also have to find a way to work Mark Hammil back into the movie and they have to let everybody know that he will have the type of moment everyone wanted for him in episode VIII.

But if they go in with no Han, no Leia, and no Luke, yeah, it's going to bomb big time - for a star wars movie. You have to judge these things in context. The name alone still puts a lot of people in the theater, though I am afraid that will soon go by the wayside if they don't do something to fix this. Solo is reportedly going to lose 50-80 million dollars. It will be the first star wars movie to lose money. TLJ blu-ray sales were terrible.

Only reason TLJ did anything at all and wasn't a massive failure is

1. there was a lot of good will from TFA awakens and JJ did a good job setting up a lot of intrigue for the next two movies.

2. Reviews were outstanding from critics who are in similar bubbles as Rian Johnson and don't understand that Star Wars movies are popular myths and as such, they should be simple and direct and give the audiences what they want. "Subverting expectations is fine," but it needs to be done in furtherance of telling a good story, not just do it to do it.

TLJ had the biggest weekend one to weekend two drop in the history of American cinema because people got word of mouth from the FANS that it was a crap movie. Excuses were made at the time just like the excuses were made for Solo. When this stuff starts piling up one after another you are whistling past the graveyard if you keep blaming it on things like "it was released too close to Deadpool." Deadpool.... This is Star Wars we are talking about. Star Wars is the one who knocks, and we're talking about releasing too close to Deadpool.

The other thing that is going to kill Episode IX is there will be other big blockbuster releases that will go head to head with it. Jumanji and Greatest Showman showed the champ can bleed and now other studios smell blood in the water. They will not be scared to schedule big budget films to go head to head with Episode IX and that will hurt it even more.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Come on, man, name the guy you clearly suspect and it's NEVER that guy.

Johnson is the guy you least suspect; it's ALWAYS that guy.

I think he hides the dead girls in the same frozen tank where they keep Walt Disney.

Steve McQueen
First Page Last Page
Page 723 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.