Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,793 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96
AG

twilly
AG
ABC Nightline did a featurette about Skywalker Sound. Really interesting stuff. Delves into how the Porgs are sounded, Holdo's kamikaze run, foley artists, and BB8 as a slot machine. If you have 26 minutes, pretty cool watch.

ABC - The Force of Sound

Here is the trailer:
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

**** me.
Saul Goodman
AG
Can't wait for the Blu Ray. Watching that trailer reminded me how many bada** scenes there are in TLJ.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Saul Goodman said:

Can't wait for the Blu Ray. Watching that trailer reminded me how many bada** scenes there are in TLJ.

can't be, I was told it bombed.

jk

but in all seriousness....that preview leaves out Rose and Canto Bight......remove those trims down the movie considerably and removes several groan worthy scenes .... and thats a smash hit imho. as it is i can overlook those because the rest is so good (ps i don't care about Snokes back story and new Jedi powers are ok by me).

Duncan Idaho
I am not going to lie 14 deleted scenes will probably cause me to buy the disc
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I am not going to lie 14 deleted scenes will probably cause me to buy the disc

don't get too excited ....the article I saw about them talked about the 2 primary ones being

a. in depth scene about the caretaker nuns on the island said to be 3-4 minutes
b. more Finn and Rose as they are sneaking aboard the destroyer....conversation for 4 minutes

there are not 2 things you could mention that would get me less excited.

the others are all said to be much shorter scenes.
AliasMan02
AG
One scene, or perhaps collection of scenes, is Rey's third Jedi lesson.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Maybe one of these decades the wife will let me buy a Blu-Ray.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

ummmmmm....i hope you're kidding.

Decent Blu-Ray players are ike $60-$100 now. Top end are like $125-199. Most with Wi-Fi streaming services built in.

But if you don't have Blu-Ray you might also have an old CRT TV and VHS player in which case Blu-Ray ain't gonna do you any good without at least a 1080 HD TV.

(i'm not gonna get into the part about the wife letting you... I buy what I want personally).

OnlyForNow
AG
Hey now... so the wife and I have been using a dvd vcr combo player to let our 3 year old watch nemo and frozen and cars etc.

Well I thought the dvd quality was crap... until we got a nice blu-ray/dvd player with hdmi connections.

LOL NIGHT and DAY difference.
Farmer1906
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I would hope not. Blu-Ray is on its way out. Everything will be digital in the not too distant future.
AgMarauder04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I would hope not. Blu-Ray is on its way out. Everything will be digital in the not too distant future.
That's too bad. I feel like physical media is still superior in quality to digita.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

yeah but.... he would need something to play THAT from as well... Blu-Rays are cheap and have that.

For some reason I'm imagining he is surfing the web on an old Intel 486 computer with floppy drives and CRT monitor (likely on DSL so streaming would be painful anyway) and has no HDMI anyway...nor is it portable.

AliasMan02
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Digital doesn't deliver a lot that the physical disc provides, especially in terms of sound. The file on an actual disc is what... 10 times larger than a compressed digital download? Physical discs will be around a while.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

gougler08
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Hey now... so the wife and I have been using a dvd vcr combo player to let our 3 year old watch nemo and frozen and cars etc.

Well I thought the dvd quality was crap... until we got a nice blu-ray/dvd player with hdmi connections.

LOL NIGHT and DAY difference.
I'm still rocking a PS2 to play DVDs like that for our 2.5 year old
wangus12
AG
OnlyForNow
AG
Seriously. We'v owned Cars for years (way before we had kids) and never watched it or took it out of the plastic wrap.

Well when he turned 2 and really got into toy cars I was like, he'd like this a little.

And I played it on the old combo... and I was like, jesus, this is such crap quality... how did people like this movie at all it's a joke compared to Pixar now.

Then I played it on the new bluray and was like.... "oh."
Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Digital doesn't deliver a lot that the physical disc provides, especially in terms of sound. The file on an actual disc is what... 10 times larger than a compressed digital download? Physical discs will be around a while.
I would say the majority of people don't care. Its so easy to click an app and click a movie and you're done. No getting up. No worrying about scratches. No keeping up with a box and disc.

The lazy people will win.
Flashdiaz
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AliasMan02 said:

Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I would say the majority of people don't care. Its so easy to click and ap and click a movie and you're done. No getting up. No worrying about scratches. No keeping up with a box and disc.

it's unfortunate.

Sometimes i'll talk with friends about a movie and they end up not caring for it, then I ask how they watched it and they say on their phone....

Your opinion about a movie like Blade Runner 2049 is invalid if you watched it on a phone, tablet or ****ty kodi rip. Some movies deserve a phyisical Blu Ray disc.... all Star Wars movies fall into this category.
wangus12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AliasMan02 said:

Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

I would say the majority of people don't care. Its so easy to click and ap and click a movie and you're done. No getting up. No worrying about scratches. No keeping up with a box and disc.

This makes me sad. I have like 200 Blu+Ray/DVD. I'd much rather have the actual disc than digital
AliasMan02
AG
People have been predicting the demise of all sorts of traditional media forever and it never really happens.
powerbelly
AG
wangus12 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AliasMan02 said:

Farmer1906 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

This makes me sad. I have like 200 Blu+Ray/DVD. I'd much rather have the actual disc than digital
Dont worry. There will still be physical media for the enthusiast.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AliasMan02 said:

People have been predicting the demise of all sorts of traditional media forever and it never really happens.

ummm ok...

go try to buy a new movie release on Betamax (last movie released was 1996).. or LaserDisc (2001)....or VHS (2006).......

The last 8-track produced was 1988 and how about a cassette tape - last major label release was 2004 although a few indie labels still release promotional tapes.

Vinyl albums have some audiophile market of course and still persists but that's the exception. Although Vinyl singles have disappeared since about 2001.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
BernArnold said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Decent Blu-Ray players are ike $60-$100 now. Top end are like $125-199. Most with Wi-Fi streaming services built in.

But if you don't have Blu-Ray you might also have an old CRT TV and VHS player in which case Blu-Ray ain't gonna do you any good without at least a 1080 HD TV.

(i'm not gonna get into the part about the wife letting you... I buy what I want personally).

It's not the cost of the player, but the cost of rebuying all my favorite movies on DVD. Even I don't want to do that.

Congrats on buying what you want personally.
Farmer1906
AG
AliasMan02 said:

When is the last time you bought a CD?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

BernArnold said:

MuckRaker96 said:

It's not the cost of the player, but the cost of rebuying all my favorite movies on DVD. Even I don't want to do that.

lol.

ok i still own plenty of DVDs btw.... you don't have to replace them all because......

BR players play DVDs too!!!!!!!!!!

And then you can get BRs for movies you want to own going forward.

I only replaced the greatest movies (like Star Wars, Godfather, etc.) with BR when I got it. I did not replace my entire library.

PS - when you reply to someone and quote it.... don't type your reply inside the quote box....makes it hard to find and it looks like part of the thing you are replying to..
powerbelly
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AliasMan02 said:

I bought a vinyl record a few weeks ago.
Farmer1906
AG
powerbelly said:

Farmer1906 said:

AliasMan02 said:

I bought a record a few weeks ago.
Hipster
powerbelly
AG
Farmer1906 said:

powerbelly said:

Farmer1906 said:

AliasMan02 said:

I bought a record a few weeks ago.
Hipster
Far from it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

BernArnold said:

MuckRaker96 said:

And I forgot to mention....many newer DVD and BR players have DVD upscaling.... meaning your DVD will actually look better on a HD TV especially used with HDMI connection. It's not quite true HD but it is an improvement.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
BernArnold said:

MuckRaker96 said:

BernArnold said:

MuckRaker96 said:

lol.

ok i still own plenty of DVDs btw.... you don't have to replace them all because......

BR players play DVDs too!!!!!!!!!!

And then you can get BRs for movies you want to own going forward.

I only replaced the greatest movies (like Star Wars, Godfather, etc.) with BR when I got it. I did not replace my entire library.

PS - when you reply to someone and quote it.... don't type your reply inside the quote box....makes it hard to find and it looks like part of the thing you are replying to..
I'm posting this just to spite you.
First Page Last Page
Page 680 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.