Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,726 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS said:

https://instagr.am/p/BfJCIHZBChy
Yeah, that is from the Making of book.

Several of the concepts were that the DS was made INSIDE the planet so it was closer to resources/materials and allowed for gravity during construction and then launched out of the planet.
TCTTS
AG
Would have been so cool to see some of that on screen.
TCTTS
AG
Well this is certainly one way to pique my interest a bit more...

agracer
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

that was actually better than the movie.....A LOT better...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Oh hell yes.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm ready to order the Art of book now.

Sidenote: for any Blade Runner 2049 fans this is freakin' beautiful:

https://www.amazon.com/NECA-Blade-Runner-Visual-Hardcover/dp/B075WB78NH/

TCTTS
AG
Got the deluxe version for Christmas. So good.
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I've been thinking about TLJ/IX lately and cranked this wishful thinking scenario out. Flame on!

Just things I'd like to see.
A time jump of 2-3 years that features a montage (highly unlikely of course) of the new Rebellion growing - Leia voiceovers, maybe even Leia CGIed from a distance giving speeches, recruiting planets (like Mon Cal). Poe is with her and we see him transition into the new voice of the Rebellion. Similarly, Finn is trying to rally disenfranchised First Order members or is trying to seed a resistance inside the First Order - hopefully with better results than his bumbling aboard Snoke's ship like a kid in a FO Halloween costume. We also see Rey finding and recruiting Force Sensitives, hopefully not including Oliver Twist kid from TLJ.

Catching up to the present, the movie opens with Leia's funeral - she's exhausted from another recruitment push and never recovers from her efforts to save her own life in TLJ. Poe is now General Dameron, Finn has a real title in this military, and we've got the look of an actual army - not 3 capital ships and the Falcon. Hell, make Chewie an officer as well, lord knows he's done enough. And the first twist is that the Rebellion and Rey's new Jedi are not separate; these Jedi are part of the Rebellion, and Rey is their leader. And the first time we see her complaining or frustrating about her students or her own ability to teach, instead of talking to Poe, she's talking to the Force Ghost of Luke.

Hopefully, this leads to our first-ever Multi-dark side vs. Multi-light side fight; an upgrade of Ren/Rey vs. the Praetorian guards, which was really awesome, but would be trumped by Knights of Ren/Kylo vs. Knights of Rey/Rey.

Luke said in TLJ that he couldn't save Kylo, but that doesn't mean that Kylo can't save himself or perhaps be redeemed by Rey or (long shot) a Force Ghost of his mother.. The best plot I can imagine would be a rupture between Hux and Ren that has Hux willing to do basically anything to win the war, and Kylo finding enough of his own humanity to do something about it at the end. Not exactly the same as Vader killing Palpy to save Luke, maybe something closer to Rukh assassinating Thrawn at the end of "The Last Command".
israeliag
AG
I like it all except for Kylo's redemption. I hope we don't see any redepmtion for Kylo and he either fully embraces the dark-side, or is able to subvert the dark and light sides to his own (nefarious and tyrannical) will.
Belton Ag
AG
I think TLJ put to rest the story of Kylo's redemption when even Leia acknowledges she has lost Kylo forever.
SeattleAgJr
Belton Ag said:

I think TLJ put to rest the story of Kylo's redemption when even Leia acknowledges she has lost Kylo forever.
he better die, and horribly, at the end.

anything else is complete and utter bull*****
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Got the deluxe version for Christmas. So good.
It's freakin' beautiful. Using that and the original film for reference for signage design for our short
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I think the issue with comparing ROTJ to TLJ is ROTJ was designed to meet audience expectations. TLJ was designed to challenge audience expectations.

ROTJ resolved the following plot hooks from Empire:

1. Han gets rescued.
2. Han and Leia get together.
3. Luke becomes a Jedi.
4. Luke/Vader/Emperor have their showdown.

ROTJ added:

1. Death Star II, yes it is lazy. But I can't think of a better place to have Luke/Vader/Emperor to have their showdown.

2. New Force Power - Emperor Lightning. This almost seems reflexive. Emperor is an evil space wizard. Evil Space Wizards get lightning. I don't think that statement is shocking to anyone. I bet if asked people to write down three things an evil wizard can do, lightning would be on virtually all the lists.

3. Ewoks - Yeah, pure marketing. I don't think anyone was expecting them. Better than Gungans.

4. Jabba the Hutt - He was functional and his palace was a set piece it added to universe and advanced the plot. Could Jabba be better? Sure, but if I show you a picture of Jabba and asked if he was a good guy or a bad guy, I think universally people would say bad guy. Ugly Appearance = Evil, it is a common trope.

I mean at the end of the day is ROTJ any different than any of the Marvel movies we get? They are basic stories that are well-told. Could ROTJ have taken more risks? Yes, but it did not had too.

TLJ wanted to challenge the audience perceptions about Star Wars and I think it misses.

Luke should have been on Crait, because he had to face Kylo, just like Obi-Wan faced Vader.

In the whole "what is the force debate" I just want to add, that Rogue One gave us non-Jedi/Sith force users and people generally didn't question it, because wisely they are monks. It does not challenge the audience that a bunch of monks could find a connection to the force without being a Jedi or Sith.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The more I think about TLJ, the more interesting I find it, although I still favor TFA significantly, largely because of its simplicity and Solo.

It took me a while to grasp how much the ending of TLJ echoes the ending of ANH. You have the old Jedi Knight distracting the bad guy to achieve the important goal of survival for the other principals as well as the newcomer to the Force doing something amazing to save the day.

ANH - Obi-Wan distracts Vader with his disappearing act while the hotshot pilot, the Princess and the rest make a run for it on the Falcon.
TLJ - LUke distracts Kylo with his magic act while the hotshot pilot, the Princess and the rest make a run for it (ultimately on the Falcon).

ANH - Young Luke uses the Force to blow up the Death Star.
TLJ - Young Rey uses the Force to lift a metric ton of boulders

Also thinking about Kylo's motivations. In TFA he tells Vader's helmet that he wants to finish what he started - but was that the eradication of the Jedi? Nah, Vader didn't give a rat's ass about that, he wanted Padme alive and himself ruling the galaxy - Kylo's speech to Rey about no Jedi, no Sith, no FO, no Resistance is of the same tone as Vader's offer to Luke to rule the galaxy, even Anakin telling Padme he could destroy the Emperor.

Makes me really think about Ren's mentality after he tried to attack Snoke and got electrocuted early in TLJ. Was he smart enough to realize he couldn't possibly attack Snoke head on and needed someone there to distract him? Someone who could also aid him against the Praetorian Guard if need be?

And that segues to the best conversation I had post-TLJ showing - what would the Praetorian Guard have done if the had successfully killed Rey and Ren? Who makes the awkward phone call to Hux saying, uh the Supreme Leader is dead. Kylo killed him. Then we killed him and this girl.
Broba Fett
Urban Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

ROTJ isn't even that weak of a film (the special edition does kind of suck). Empire was just a tough act to follow.
Compound that. New Hope may have been the toughest act to follow in cinematic history. And Empire is broadly considered to have surpassed it. Plus ROTJ was by far the most family friendly/marketed to kids of the OT. Almost impossible for ROTJ to meet much less exceed expectations.

That's because ESB had a lot of bounty hunters in it. ANH had none, and ROTJ only had one. We won't mention AOTC because my dad was an alcoholic and crapped his lines up the whole movie.
jokershady
AG
Broba Fett said:

Urban Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

ROTJ isn't even that weak of a film (the special edition does kind of suck). Empire was just a tough act to follow.
Compound that. New Hope may have been the toughest act to follow in cinematic history. And Empire is broadly considered to have surpassed it. Plus ROTJ was by far the most family friendly/marketed to kids of the OT. Almost impossible for ROTJ to meet much less exceed expectations.

That's because ESB had a lot of bounty hunters in it. ANH had none, and ROTJ only had one. We won't mention AOTC because my dad was an alcoholic and crapped his lines up the whole movie.
Your acting wasnt exactly on par with a young Anikan Skywalker either kid...
wangus12
AG
No no no. You can only compare it to ESB because its the 2nd film in the trilogy and therefore it sucks
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MandoArms
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/til-death-do-us-part-science-proves-you-really-can-die-of-a-broken-heart/ar-BBJ7HrJ?li=AA5LBhu&ocid=ientp

#ValidationforPadme
IG: mando_arms
Broba Fett
jokershady said:

Broba Fett said:

Urban Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

Your acting wasnt exactly on par with a young Anikan Skywalker either kid...

By the time I met Anakin he was already grown. Still a whiney little biatch, but grown. I don't know how I ever wound up doing bounty runs for him down the road. He was clearly into some weird robot fetish in his later years.
The Collective
AG
BrownCoat said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/til-death-do-us-part-science-proves-you-really-can-die-of-a-broken-heart/ar-BBJ7HrJ?li=AA5LBhu&ocid=ientp

#ValidationforPadme

You win, George. You win.
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
Judging a book by its cover...

I hope they don't make Most Wanted about Han. He and the Falcon were barely on the Empire's radar in Star Wars. He had to dump Jabba's goods bc he was boarded, and if he was most wanted, they'd have arrested him then.

/end speculation
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/belfast-to-join-star-wars-universe-as-spinoff-movie-comes-to-town-36591457.html

Quote:

Belfast will be the centre of the Star Wars universe when the latest spin-off from the movie franchise is filmed there in 2019.

Staff at the city's Paint Hall studios in the Titanic Quarter have been told that once production on the final series of Game Of Thrones finishes later this year, the legendary sci-fi saga will be coming to town.

Star Wars creator George Lucas was in Belfast before Christmas checking out locations for a new stand-alone film centring on the life of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi - with Ewan McGregor reprising the role he first played in 1999 prequel The Phantom Menace.
TCTTS
AG
Don't believe a word of this. I can assure you that George Lucas is not scouting locations for a Star Wars movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, you're right, apparently there's zero basis other than seeing Lucas in Ireland.
redline248
AG
You fall for fake news pretty easily, huh?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Toptierag2018
SeattleAgJr said:

Belton Ag said:

he better die, and horribly, at the end.

anything else is complete and utter bull*****

He's the last main character white guy left so of course he's a goner
SeattleAgJr
Yeah, the quality sucks.

Deal with it.

jokershady
AG
This thread was started over on the General Board. Figured it was worth cross posting here.

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/2934032
AliasMan02
AG
Are Amazon and Disney still fighting? No Blu Ray pre-order available.
SeattleAgJr
Yes
First Page Last Page
Page 679 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.