Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,825 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Hello there
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To be fair, Ewoks ARE terrible.
jokershady
AG
Not to take away from the current news but so to prevent TTT'ing an old thread...

I went and saw TLJ again for the 2nd time. Definitely better on the 2nd showing and damn loved it. Canto Bight was still annoying but everything else was great...didn't even mind floating Leia that much.

One thing I caught this 2nd go round that I didn't the first time....when Ray and Ren were connected between the force for the 1st time, Ren made this comment almost immediately, "This can't be you. The effort would kill you." Then he says something else about being able to see Ray, but not her surroundings.

Alludes to how hard something like the force projection Luke did is to accomplish and even more meaning to his fate at the end.

More to add but don't want to derail. All left to say is if you were on the fence and hadn't seen it a 2nd time, give it a chance.
AliasMan02
AG
jokershady said:

One thing I caught this 2nd go round that I didn't the first time....when Ray and Ren were connected between the force for the 1st time, Ren made this comment almost immediately, "This can't be you. The effort would kill you." Then he says something else about being able to see Ray, but not her surroundings.

Alludes to how hard something like the force projection Luke did is to accomplish and even more meaning to his fate at the end.

They did a great job building to it. Each of the Rey-Kylo interactions added a little more foundation to what Luke would ultimately do.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Farmer1906
AG
I Dream of Hakeem said:

To be fair, STFU Ewoks are awesome.
FL_Ag1998
AG
wangus12 said:

Ehhhh, I see this lazy argument all the time (hell, about 100 times on this thread already). Not sure I buy it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
What about the argument is lazy?
Farmer1906
AG
What is there to buy?
Flashdiaz
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

wangus12 said:

Ehhhh, I see this lazy argument all the time (hell, about 100 times on this thread already). Not sure I buy it.
that's fairly lazy to call it lazy but not put any arguments why you think it's lazy.
Urban Ag
AG
It is a lazy argument. The premise is that since ROTJ was considered the weakest of the OT that therefore it would be receiving the same criticisms that TFA and TLJ has been. That doesn't really add up. ROTJ still had the same characters the world loved. It finished out stories the audience and fans wanted to see finished. Luke became a Jedi and resisted the dark side. Vader turned back to the light. The Empire was handed a crushing defeat and the Emperor dead. Han/Leia hook up official. Etc.

By comparison, TFA and TLJ are all over the board. Both films are filled with characters the audience and fans are either ambivalent about or simply don't like. Both films are full of characters and sub plots that are uninteresting and/or unneeded, or just flat out nothing burgers (Snoke, Phasma, Maz, etc). The second director upended much of what the first laid before him. They're not bad films, IMO, just not great.

Just because ROTJ is the weakest of the OT doesn't mean it has the same kind of issues TFA and TLJ do.
The Collective
AG
ROTJ isn't even that weak of a film (the special edition does kind of suck). Empire was just a tough act to follow.
Urban Ag
AG
CJS4715 said:

ROTJ isn't even that weak of a film (the special edition does kind of suck). Empire was just a tough act to follow.
Compound that. New Hope may have been the toughest act to follow in cinematic history. And Empire is broadly considered to have surpassed it. Plus ROTJ was by far the most family friendly/marketed to kids of the OT. Almost impossible for ROTJ to meet much less exceed expectations.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Urban Ag said:

CJS4715 said:

Compound that. New Hope may have been the toughest act to follow in cinematic history. And Empire is broadly considered to have surpassed it. Plus ROTJ was by far the most family friendly/marketed to kids of the OT. Almost impossible for ROTJ to meet much less exceed expectations.

And yet ESB has about a 33% box office drop from SW. oh no it must have been a flop.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Sorry, been out at my son's practice. I say lazy because the way I interpret that cartoon is that either:

A) people are only railing against TLJ because they're buying into online arguments, or
B) people were railing against RoTJ just as much as TLJ but the internet just wasn't around then, or
C) internet nerds would have picked apart RoTJ just as much as they have TLJ.

Quite simply, in my opinion none of those are true. I've never had the problems with RoTJ that I have with TLJ. To simply blame the uproar over TLJ (no matter how big or small it may be) on the internet is a lazy and cheap way of dismissing the (very valid) complaints people have of it.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Flashdiaz said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

wangus12 said:

that's fairly lazy to call it lazy but not put any arguments why you think it's lazy.

But I do like this comeback.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Sorry, been out at my son's practice. I say lazy because the way I interpret that cartoon is that either:

A) people are only railing against TLJ because they're buying into online arguments, or
B) people were railing against RoTJ just as much as TLJ but the internet just wasn't around then, or
C) internet nerds would have picked apart RoTJ just as much as they have TLJ.

Quite simply, in my opinion none of those are true. I've never had the problems with RoTJ that I have with TLJ. To simply blame the uproar over TLJ (no matter how big or small it may be) on the internet is a lazy and cheap way of dismissing the (very valid) complaints people have of it.

BS. C is absolutely true. There has not been any big budget movie with big expectations that was not torn apart by some internet nerds. That's what they do.

Sometimes it's more valid. Often it's nitpciks. But there is always a large contingent of naysayers especially for anything successful. There was a ton for TFA also. They just got drowned out more.
redline248
AG
Man, F all y'all. Return of the Jedi is still my favorite of the Star Wars movies. I don't care if Empire is a better movie, I love Return.

redline248
AG
This is probably a good time to share another Bad Lip Reading song (some have probably already seen it, but I don't think it's been linked on this thread).

redline248
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

As usual, totally nailed it. Including "not Penny's boat."
SeattleAgJr
redline248 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

As usual, totally nailed it. Including "not Penny's boat."
Better than the actual movie.
Belton Ag
AG
I Dream of Hakeem said:

I found Ewoks to be a useful tool to lure my two young daughters in to Star Wars and get them hooked, thus turning my nerdy, borderline clinical obsession into a "family event."

If they could put Ewoks in Game of Thrones and I wouldn't have to watch it when the kids went to bed.
TCTTS
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BfJCIHZBChy
amercer
AG
Gravity has always been a flexible concept in the galaxy far far away.
Flashdiaz
AG
who's going to the Disney Star Wars hotel when it opens?

(official image)
AGGies0311
In the future they have ships that can drift yet wheelchairs that still require the user to turn the wheels manually......
TCTTS
AG
They also place family resorts smack dab in the middle of war zones, apparently.
AGGies0311
Stupid disney... War isn't a place for kids
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

who's going to the Disney Star Wars hotel when it opens?

(official image)

We're already planning it. Leaving the too-young kiddo at home.

The place is gonna rule. Totally immersive, two night booking only, because you take part in a storyline once you arrive. Gonna be crazy expensive.
wangus12
AG
Yep definitely going. Will probably be the only time I go to Disney as well.
hurleyag
AG
Then is it a good thing it looks like we can open carry!
twilly
AG
Star Tours already shuffles you thru a war zone. Now you get to eat, sleep, and go to the restroom in one too!
YellowPot_97
AG
Well it's is star WARS not star vacation resorts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sign me the **** up!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I thought I was done with them parks forever having done these major trips as the kids grew up from 1999 through 2015.

Disney World - 4x
DisneyLand/Legoland - 1x
Universal Studios - 3x with the HP stuff

Told the kids after the last DW/Universal combo trip that we were done - they were 17 and 20 then.

But now with SW Land and a hotel...I might have to backtrack but only for SW stuff and Avatar I'll check that out too.

Our last trip was pretty cool though. With them as adults pretty much it is very different no nagging and they can go all day too..... we did one big marathon nostalgia day at DW parks on park hopper. started at Animal Kingdom at 8am and went to midnight using the FastPasses to hit 2 major rides per park that the kds chose and then had a sit down meal, then onto the next one on their monorail or buses and culminating with the midnight fireworks at MK. Sometimes we did another ride or something while waiting for out fast pass time.

Animal Kingdom - Everest and Dinosaur
Epcot - Soaring and Test Track
Hollywood Studios - Aerosmith Rockin Roller Coaster and Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Toy Story Mania
Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain and Pirates and Haunted Mansion (Space Mountain was closed for reno)
Fireworks at the castle

that was a loooong day but really fun.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BernArnold said:

I thought I was done with them parks forever having done these major trips as the kids grew up from 1999 through 2015.

Disney World - 4x
DisneyLand/Legoland - 1x
Universal Studios - 3x with the HP stuff

Told the kids after the last DW/Universal combo trip that we were done - they were 17 and 20 then.

But now with SW Land and a hotel...I might have to backtrack but only for SW stuff and Avatar I'll check that out too.

Our last trip was pretty cool though. With them as adults pretty much it is very different no nagging and they can go all day too..... we did one big marathon nostalgia day at DW parks on park hopper. started at Animal Kingdom at 8am and went to midnight using the FastPasses to hit 2 major rides per park that the kds chose and then had a sit down meal, then onto the next one on their monorail or buses and culminating with the midnight fireworks at MK. Sometimes we did another ride or something while waiting for out fast pass time.

Animal Kingdom - Everest and Dinosaur
Epcot - Soaring and Test Track
Hollywood Studios - Aerosmith Rockin Roller Coaster and Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Toy Story Mania
Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain and Pirates and Haunted Mansion (Space Mountain was closed for reno)
Fireworks at the castle

that was a loooong day but really fun.

Yep. Try this on for size ... our last trip in November 2013, we spent a day at Magic Kingdom that began at rope drop, early hours that day, and lasted until 3AM. The reason for that was that we had tickets to Mickey's Merry Christmas Party, where they close down the park to all the schlubs without tickets to that party. And while most people seemed to be interested in standing around waiting for the parades, we took advantage of the quite-a-bit-shorter lines at the big attractions and rode, and rode, and rode ....

We will likely do the same thing again on our next trip, which I expect to be over Thanksgiving week in 2019 (unless they push back the opening of Star Wars Land again).
First Page Last Page
Page 678 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.