Star Wars Discussion Thread

3,108,501 Views | 29865 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by Belton Ag
dromo07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dammit! I knew I missed something there
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JJ use of hyperspace was something.

"There's no way we can get in, they have shields! Shields don't block hyperspace."
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Han didn't hit anything.
dromo07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He was inside a ship... he had to have hit something in order to get out
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dromo07 said:

He was inside a ship... he had to have hit something in order to get out
They weren't locked up in a closet with a chair blocking the door. They were sitting directly in front of a huge open bay with nothing but space in front of them.
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What Belton said.

Between jumping to light speed from a hangar and using light speed to pierce a planetary shield, TFA sure played fast and loose with hyperspace without regards to how it could affect space travel in the rest of the series. One of the reasons I don't particularly care about the "plot hole" in TLJ about "why don't they just always use the hypserspace missile tactic?" If that bothered you, TFA should drive you insane.
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Solo still in post?

AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

What Belton said.

Between jumping to light speed from a hangar and using light speed to pierce a planetary shield, TFA sure played fast and loose with hyperspace without regards to how it could affect space travel in the rest of the series. One of the reasons I don't particularly care about the "plot hole" in TLJ about "why don't they just always use the hypserspace missile tactic?" If that bothered you, TFA should drive you insane.


JJ doesn't care about how distance in space works. Star Trek was full of weird things that broke establishef rules as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may be rationalizing, but I could buy into the getting through the shield thing. With the "fractional refresh rate" Han mentioned, just think of it as going through an enormous fan. If you're going fast enough, you'll make it through unscathed.
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I may be rationalizing, but I could buy into the getting through the shield thing. With the "fractional refresh rate" Han mentioned, just think of it as going through an enormous fan. If you're going fast enough, you'll make it through unscathed.


The bigger issue to me seemed to be the idea that traveling at lightspeed and hyperspace are different things. Not that it's a huge problem or anything, just a little inconsistent. Happens in RO as well.
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I may be rationalizing, but I could buy into the getting through the shield thing. With the "fractional refresh rate" Han mentioned, just think of it as going through an enormous fan. If you're going fast enough, you'll make it through unscathed.
The bigger issue there is how the hell they were able to come out of light speed manually (Chewie pushes the button) between the shield and the planet's surface and then pull up without crashing. The timing would have to be perfect to the....I don't know, nanosecond might not be exact enough. But that is at least something that isn't going to be tried again

The jumping to light speed from a sitting position is I think more long term problematic as it really changes chase sequences like the Falcon escape from Mos Easley. Even Rogue One gets sketchy with the U-wing jumping to lightspeed (without a full nap computer calculation) from within the atmosphere to escape the Deat Star destroying Jedha City
Hagen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You guys act like flying through hyperspace is like dusting crops back home.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will say that jumping into hyperspace inside the planet's atmosphere would vaporize the ship.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

The bigger issue there is how the hell they were able to come out of light speed manually (Chewie pushes the button) between the shield and the planet's surface and then pull up without crashing. The timing would have to be perfect to the....I don't know, nanosecond might not be exact enough. But that is at least something that isn't going to be tried again



Chewie is one hell of a pilot. Chewie > Poe. Make sure to let Finn know.
hurleyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING?!?!?!
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Rebels, Hera jumps to lightspeed and passes through a ship with open bay doors on both sides. I think we are operating under Disney rules now.
hurleyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Solo still in post?


Please not be post Solo and actually the pre Willow 2!
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Seriously, though, this feels a bit like a the-Russian-is-bleeding type moment. Jumanji went up against TLJ, proved that other blockbusters can compete with Star Wars, and now they're doing the exact same thing again. Star Wars simply isn't the invincible monster it used to be.

TFA was the long awaited return of a beloved franchise with a movie that was really good and loved by fans.

TLJ was an incredibly divisive movie with fans while Jumani was a fun movie. Let's not pretend this is some "David slays Goliath" moment.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hurleyag said:

AliasMan02 said:

Solo still in post?


Please not be post Solo and actually the pre Willow 2!


Looks like Wicket's dad is going to be in the Solo film.
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Seriously, though, this feels a bit like a the-Russian-is-bleeding type moment. Jumanji went up against TLJ, proved that other blockbusters can compete with Star Wars, and now they're doing the exact same thing again. Star Wars simply isn't the invincible monster it used to be.


Goes with what I have been saying when everyone trots out box office returns for TLJ to say its a small minority who didnt like this movie. It's not a small minority. It is being covered for unlike any movie I've ever seen. And the long term fallout of this will not be realized until subsequent releases.

I have faith JJ Abrams will pull this out and the word of mouth will help with ticket sales, but unless they explicitly come out and say prior to the premier that they've heard the complaints and they're addressing them in this movie, then the opening weekend on episode IX will disappoint greatly.

The Rian Johnson trilogy will bomb (for star wars) unless the word of mouth saves it. Lot of people will refuse to go see that until they hear from others whether it's worth it or not.
Hagen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Madmartigan doesn't look too good anymore.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bangobango said:

TCTTS said:

Seriously, though, this feels a bit like a the-Russian-is-bleeding type moment. Jumanji went up against TLJ, proved that other blockbusters can compete with Star Wars, and now they're doing the exact same thing again. Star Wars simply isn't the invincible monster it used to be.


Goes with what I have been saying when everyone trots out box office returns for TLJ to say its a small minority who didnt like this movie. It's not a small minority. It is being covered for unlike any movie I've ever seen. And the long term fallout of this will not be realized until subsequent releases.

I have faith JJ Abrams will pull this out and the word of mouth will help with ticket sales, but unless they explicitly come out and say prior to the premier that they've heard the complaints and they're addressing them in this movie, then the opening weekend on episode IX will disappoint greatly.

The Rian Johnson trilogy will bomb (for star wars) unless the word of mouth saves it. Lot of people will refuse to go see that until they hear from others whether it's worth it or not.
I actually think Rian Johnson will do well with a trilogy with new characters. The story will have an end in mind with the movies to support the idea.

A major problem many have with TLJ is how disjointed it is from the OT and even with TFA due to no skeletal structure of episodes 7-9.

Another positive is the fact JJ pitched his ep9 movie right after TLJ and the criticisms started coming out. it almost had a 'relax Disney, I have a story to fix it' vibe to it.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's going to take multiple flops in a row to hurt the SW franchise. If Han Solo and IX are both terrible, then you can probably signal the warning flag for Johnson's trilogy.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My biggest gripe with TLJ was the tone of the film. That's not something Johnson can blame on the prior film; he just flopped all on his own. I hope it doesn't carryforward to his trilogy.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, let's say Kenobi gets a Christmas 2020 release date. That means they wouldn't even have to start filming until around summer 2019, a year and a half from now. Heck, I bet we don't even hear anything official on this movie until this summer.
So why does Ewan look like Obi if filming would be until summer of '19?

Cameo in Solo?



AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If they did that, I would hope it was literally him walking by in the background somewhere in Tatooine. That could be cool.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope not... unless it's a small part where Obi meets Chewbacca.




but even then it would feel like a forced connection (ha, see what I did there)
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe Obi has some dealings with a mutual character that deals with Solo. Maybe it helps set up Obi's movie. Maybe we get Obi vs Boba lightsaber duel that after the Obi vs Jango ended too quickly.
MGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AliasMan02 said:

If they did that, I would hope it was literally him walking by in the background somewhere in Tatooine. That could be cool.
The two movies could have the same scene, but from the title character's point of view.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought in the Force Awakens, Han jumped the Falcon through closed hangar doors?

AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I hope not... unless it's a small part where Obi meets Chewbacca.




but even then it would feel like a forced connection (ha, see what I did there)


I doubt Solo takes his story all the way up to that point. If they do, that movie will cover a TON of ground, since it basically starts with Han as a kid, it seems.
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Star Wars can fix their problems with one move...


"Luke is gone... the Jedi are dead."

"No... there is another"

"The girl? She's a nobody..."

"Rey is not the one I speak of to bring balance to the force..."


"BY GAWD... THAT'S THE ROCK'S MUSIC!!!"
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Flashdiaz said:

I hope not... unless it's a small part where Obi meets Chewbacca.




but even then it would feel like a forced connection (ha, see what I did there)


I doubt Solo takes his story all the way up to that point. If they do, that movie will cover a TON of ground, since it basically starts with Han as a kid, it seems.
I doubt it too. I was alluding to some that speculate that obi-wan seems to know Chewbacca in the cantina, as if they've met before.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Solo still in post?


We're 4 months out, I'd be amazed if they were done with post at this point. Even early April wouldn't be shocking.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Not sure what the big deal is about Jumanji sequel.


The three holiday weeks from mid December through after the new year average $400-500M per week in box office.


that's $1.2-1.3 BILLION domestic up for grabs.

They aren't going to sit back and let SW take it all....and it wouldn't anyway.

TFA took $770 million its first three weeks. that's huge but there was still another 530M up for grabs that year.

And TLJ took $540M leaving another $660M+ for someone.

another blockbuster is not crazy, counterprogramming works and especially if it is also family oriented. I know my family usually sees 2-3 different movies in that period.
Page 671 of 854
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.