Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,091 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want anthologies of the old republic with OG jedi and sith characters.
Chipotlemonger
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I want anthologies of the old republic with OG jedi and sith characters.

Revan!

Edit to add: or someone else!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The anthology movies need to tell "new" stories, meaning something that perhaps has been hinted at (like Rogue One) or something completely unrelated to the trilogies' story arcs. I am okay with films based on existing characters, to a point. I won't say that Solo is a film I did not want, but it certainly would not have been in a top 5 list; I will see the movie, possibly multiple times, but I know next to nothing about the actor portraying young Han.

No one can ever replace Harrison Ford in that role. Still, I'm willing to give this younger guy a chance at the role.

Obi-Wan - heck yeah, I want to see that movie. Make it a trilogy! Ewan MacGregor was likely the best thing about the prequel movies (not gonna restart a pissing match regarding the PT, but that's not to say that I think he was the ONLY good thing about the prequels). He really captured what I expected from a younger Obi-Wan. The Obi-Wan we all saw in the OT was an old fart, and it was clear in his brief duel with his former pupil that he was way too old for that sh**, and then he was a Force ghost for the remainder of the OT. But there was a lot hinted at in the OT for his character that we got to see fleshed out in the PT. There remains enough of his story to be explored.

I don't give a crap about seeing any anthology movies on Yoda, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian (excepting, of course, for his role with young Han Solo in the upcoming Solo movie), and probably even Leia and Luke. A Leia movie might be interesting to focus on her as a young girl on Alderaan, coming of age, getting involved in the galactic Senate and then the rebellion ... but why not just explore some new areas of this galaxy far, far away?

Now if Disney announced tomorrow that they were going to do an anthology movie focusing on Darth Vader post-Clone Wars, pre-Rogue One, I'd be all for that. Or perhaps a bit tongue in cheek, if they wanted to make a stand-alone that followed, to some degree, the storm trooper who "did not need to see his identification" and how he, let's say, struggles with feelings of guilt when he connects his role to the destruction of the first Death Star, and perhaps the Empire figures it out ... and sends an team to bring him in for execution, and perhaps he anticipates this and evades ... where to go from there, maybe he is captured and we can get a Braveheart-like ending, or maybe he surrenders himself to the rebellion to exact some form of vengeance on an empire that is actively hunting him?
The Collective
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Or perhaps a bit tongue in cheek, if they wanted to make a stand-alone that followed, to some degree, the storm trooper who "did not need to see his identification" and how he, let's say, struggles with feelings of guilt when he connects his role to the destruction of the first Death Star, and perhaps the Empire figures it out ... and sends an team to bring him in for execution, and perhaps he anticipates this and evades ... where to go from there, maybe he is captured and we can get a Braveheart-like ending, or maybe he surrenders himself to the rebellion to exact some form of vengeance on an empire that is actively hunting him?
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Don't talk me into this being a good idea!

Ha, seriously though, like with Kenobi, there are a lot of unexplored years with Leia (save for the novel you mentioned) leading up to A New Hope, and it could be cool to do like a coming-of-age / woman-in-a-man's-world type of thing with her character. A bit of politics, a bit of adventure. Millie Bobby Brown is apparently 13 now, so maybe in a couple years she could pull off a teen Leia. Do like a hint of Hunger Games meets Star Wars, with a pinch of Sixteen Candles-in-space thrown in there. Space Princess wants more from life than being a princess, and has to deal with the naysayers, gender politics, and the Empire while feeling her calling to follow in her father's footsteps and join (and eventually lead) the burgeoning rebellion.

Potential book spoilers
Quote:

A bit of politics
She's a jr senator. They get tricked into making decisions that help the empire and hurt people.

Quote:

a bit of adventure
She trains to climb a mountain as part of her trials.

Quote:

with a pinch of Sixteen Candles-in-space
She has a love interest (opposite of Han actually). They sneak around and overhear about the rebellion.

TCTTS
AG
I'm in! Who wants to start the crowd-sourced, official TexAgs script thread?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
E-leia-ven
Sex Panther
AG
Who cares about Leia... I want my damn, C-3PO Rises
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
redline248
AG
Holy ****
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Talk about a golden rod.
shelbys99
If you want story about Kenobi then go watch Clone Wars...
He and Anikin fought the Separatists

I want a series that shows the adventures of Luke between RotJ & TFA. They hinted he some stuff in TLJ, but I want more!
The Collective
AG
I think re-casting Luke, Han, & Leia for other films is a mistake, but I guess the cat is already out of the bag.
redline248
AG
I wonder why they haven't even signed off on a book about that, yet. We have 2 Leia books, including one a few years before The Force Awakens...
jabberwalkie09
AG
CJS4715 said:

I think re-casting Luke, Han, & Leia for other films is a mistake, but I guess the cat is already out of the bag.

I think whether they continue down that path will be determined by how successful Solo is.
Ag Since 83
AG
CJS4715 said:

Animated series. Mark Hamill voices a younger Luke. Problem solved

Or it'll just be books
3rdGen2015
AG
Mark Hamill would endorse Sebastian Stan

https://nerdist.com/mark-hamill-sebastian-stan-son-meme/
Farmer1906
AG
CJS4715 said:

They could use Sabastian Stan as young Luke and wed never know.

Edit - Too slow
FTACO97
AG
shelbys99 said:

I want a series that shows the adventures of Luke between RotJ & TFA. They hinted he some stuff in TLJ, but I want more!
You do get that whole story ended with Revenge of the Sith? Obi Wan then spent the next however many years on Tatooine. I think that's the time period this new film will cover.

For those who aren't sure about this new Han actor, go watch Hail Caesar. Or at least watch his scenes, I know it's not a very good movie. But watching that he reminded me of Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones. I think he will do a great job.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Solo, especially to see Ron Howard's take on the universe.
twilly
AG
C-3PO: "I beg your pardon, but what do you mean, 'naked?'"
R2-D2: [beeps]
C-3PO: "My parts are showing? Oh, my goodness, oh!"
israeliag
AG
shelbys99 said:

Would much rather have a Wedge, Luke, and Rogue Squadron movie set between ESB and RotJ. I don't care that there are no stakes since we'd know Wedge and Luke don't die, but dang I want more X-Wing and lightsaber battles.
Murder Hornet
AG
There's a movie called 13 Assassins that provides an excellent template. Replace the samurais with Vader vs the remaining Jedi. Basically RotS 1.5
TCTTS
AG
Jumanji don't care...

TCTTS
AG
Seriously, though, this feels a bit like a the-Russian-is-bleeding type moment. Jumanji went up against TLJ, proved that other blockbusters can compete with Star Wars, and now they're doing the exact same thing again. Star Wars simply isn't the invincible monster it used to be.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed.

Only 600,000,000 in 40 days. Get that weak **** outta here. It might not even pass Jurassic Word for the #4 movie all time domestic box office.
Fenrir
bthomas98 said:

There's a movie called 13 Assassins that provides an excellent template. Replace the samurais with Vader vs the remaining Jedi. Basically RotS 1.5

Spectacular movie. Is Vader being hunted like the Lord or hunting him down?
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Right there with you. The potential is so great. I just wish Kenobi could be the last of the "old" characters getting anthology films. I absolutely do not want anthologies in any way, shape, or form for Yoda, Boba Fett, Leia, etc. (actually... a young Leia movie starring Millie Bobby Brown MIGHT be kind of cool, but probably not). I don't mind old stories still being told with new characters, but we simply have to once and for all move on from the OT characters post Kenobi/2020.
Why? There is a huge market for the nostalgia factor. Look at how popular Stanger Things is.

The sky is the limit here. The possibilities are endless. If they can make good anthologies with existing OT characters, so be it. I'm all in.

I agree that a Leia, Boba Fett, Yoda, etc are bad ideas. But I really like the idea of Solo. The backstory is great to be told. Love Kenobi. I'd love a Clone Wars movie that set during the war from the perspective of a previously unknown Jedi but with cameos of past characters moving in and out.

My uber Star Wars nerd has always wanted a Saving Private Ryan type Star Wars movie where several Jedi and a platoon of clones are stuck in a no win, everyone is going to die, scenario during the Clone Wars. Where maybe Mace Windu or Obi show up at the end to basically take inventory on the carnage.

So maybe we are talking the same language or maybe we are not. I love the wild west feel of the OT. I would like new characters like we had in R1 but with familiar faces passing thru. I simply loved R1 where they blended the best of the OT with new characters in a compelling story that was worth telling.
Urban Ag
AG
Jumanji doesn't give a sh**. It just takes what it wants and it really doesn't give a sh**.
Urban Ag
AG
It's not. My kids like Jumanji at least as much as TLJ. Which makes me sad.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Seriously, though, this feels a bit like a the-Russian-is-bleeding type moment. Jumanji went up against TLJ, proved that other blockbusters can compete with Star Wars, and now they're doing the exact same thing again. Star Wars simply isn't the invincible monster it used to be.
Episode VII damn sure was. Even though it was a retread it felt like Star Wars
Episode VIII was... severely lacking. And felt lack piss poor fan fiction.
SeattleAgJr
TCTTS said:

Jumanji don't care...

One was a fun movie that took advantage of its lead characters and nostalgia factor, and presented an engaging fantasy that could be enjoyed by all audiences.

And the other was the Last Jedi.
Dro07
AG
I watched TFA and Han hyper spaces from inside their ship in the falcon... can someone tell me why it didn't break to pieces like the scene in TLJ?
SeattleAgJr
dromo07 said:

I watched TFA and Han hyper spaces from inside their ship in the falcon... can someone tell me why it didn't break to pieces like the scene in TLJ?
Plotforce.
First Page Last Page
Page 670 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.