Star Wars Discussion Thread

3,059,082 Views | 29504 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by MuckRaker96
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Solid gif usage.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has basically already been announced. Disney/Lucasfilm hasn't made it official yet, but a director is attached, a script is being written, and no other anthology movie is farther along in development.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not to mention...

redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, maybe I should adjust my question to why they want to push new while continuing to hang on to the old?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty excited to see what they do with a Kenobi movie. Disney/Lucasfilm seem to be confused on what they want to do, though.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I only it's a meme, but F-ck her.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Well, maybe I should adjust my question to why they want to push new while continuing to hang on to the old?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty excited to see what they do with a Kenobi movie. Disney/Lucasfilm seem to be confused on what they want to do, though.
Kenobi would presumably be 2020, one year after Episode IX. The new trilogy likely won't debut until 2021 at the absolute earliest. So Kenobi could technically be the last of the "old" before Disney/Lucasfilm introduces the new. Though, I wouldn't see a conflict with them continuing to mine the past for the anthology films well after 2020. Would I rather have new stories for the anthologies at that point? Absolutely. But it wouldn't feel wrong at all if they still dipped a toe into the past every so often as well.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No thanks.
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw Ewan is getting divorced. Preparing for a solitary life in the desert I assume
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's going super method.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blue star
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

So, with the apparent direction to take Star Wars in a "new" direction with episodes X-XII, would anyone be at least a little surprised if the 3rd anthology film is Kenobi?
The new trilogy they gave Rian is not episodes X-XII:


Quote:

In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy?cmp=smc%7C1147744441
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
israeliag said:

redline248 said:

So, with the apparent direction to take Star Wars in a "new" direction with episodes X-XII, would anyone be at least a little surprised if the 3rd anthology film is Kenobi?
The new trilogy they gave Rian is not episodes X-XII:


Quote:

In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy?cmp=smc%7C1147744441


Well, then there won't be anymore episodic films (for the foreseeable future).
dromo07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
israeliag said:

redline248 said:

So, with the apparent direction to take Star Wars in a "new" direction with episodes X-XII, would anyone be at least a little surprised if the 3rd anthology film is Kenobi?
The new trilogy they gave Rian is not episodes X-XII:


Quote:

In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy?cmp=smc%7C1147744441
Unless he starts to talk about Star Wars rebels because he probably doesn't even know they exist. jk that won't happen.

We know its in the same universe but we don't know time references to any of it currently right? Its not going to be like Thrawn in the outer rim/unknown region or anything like that.
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan, as most of you know. And frankly, I just don't even care about this trailer anymore.
So you get all hot and bothered by all the critiquing of TLJ but you're writing off this film without seeing it, much less seeing a trailer. "The movie no body wanted" according to you.

We get it Brian, you don't like Solo (sound familiar?).
Whatever it takes
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

This has basically already been announced. Disney/Lucasfilm hasn't made it official yet, but a director is attached, a script is being written, and no other anthology movie is farther along in development.

Wait, a director is attached to Kenobi?
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stephen Daldry, if my memory is correct. Too lazy to look it up.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, we know Disney is making an anthology film AND that they have a director, but why are we sure it's Kenobi if there isn't (wasn't) a script and Disney hasn't said it's Kenobi?

It's not that I don't believe you, tctts, but for the sake of discussion...where is the certainty coming from?
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

where is the certainty coming from?

The link I literally posted above your latest reply. The Hollywood Reporter doesn't run a story unless they've confirmed it with multiple sources.
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, I'll take your word on the credibility of the site, as I have no idea about that.

So why won't Disney just announce it? Scared to bury hype for Solo? I mean, if it's already known by most...
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Too many moving parts at this stage. What if they announce now, but aren't finished with the script yet, take it to Ewan McGregor when they are, and he says he won't commit unless they change [X]? Then that change takes six months to implement with a new writer because the old one got booked on a new gig, and then they have to push their already-announced release date? That's an extreme scenario, and there's usually more coordination than that, but either way, studios hardly ever make official announcements until as many of their ducks are in a row as possible. Disney, especially, likely wants to be as cautious/certain as possible, considering all the headaches they've been through on their first four SW films. Point is, even "confirmed" reports from trades such as The Hollywood reporter hardly ever move the needle. There's too much at stake, and too much that isn't yet 100% set in stone to announce until they've got their script and their core players signed and ready to go. And yes, the news cycle and the release cycle of their other films has a lot to do with it as well.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, let's say Kenobi gets a Christmas 2020 release date. That means they wouldn't even have to start filming until around summer 2019, a year and a half from now. Heck, I bet we don't even hear anything official on this movie until this summer.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Writing off a movie and not being excited about it are two very different things.
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Writing off a movie and not being excited about it are two very different things.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
experiment:

Tell your wife

a. you are writing her off
b. you are not interested in her

see if the reaction is any different.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am hoping more than anyone that the trailer gets me excited.

And yes, nobody wanted a Han Solo movie. (Not any of the huge fans that I know, anyway.)

Who can replace Harrison Ford in the role? Who wanted to see him before he became the guy he was in the OT? We saw his entire arc play out in that trilogy.
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I am hoping more than anyone that the trailer gets me excited.

And yes, nobody wanted a Han Solo movie. (Not any of the huge fans that I know, anyway.)

Who can replace Harrison Ford in the role? Who wanted to see him before he became the guy he was in the OT? We saw his entire arc play out in that trilogy.
This has actually been my thing with the Anthology films. I didn't want any OT characters. Rogue One was awesome because it told a story we didn't know. Yes, we don't know Han's backstory or in between Obi Wan and Ep IV.

These stories are the chance for Disney to explore the Star Wars Universe. Tell stories peripherally connected to the OT, but not the main story line. Things like the story of Rogue Squadron, Rise of Admiral Thrawn, etc. THAT'S what I want.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed, except I desperately want an Obi-Wan movie.

The main difference here being that Ewan McGregor is "my" Obi-Wan. He's the one I grew up with, and he knocked it out of the park every time. He's the perfect age, and there is a HUGE gap of time which we know little to nothing about him.

It just couldn't be more perfect for an anthology movie, imo.

I will totally accept if someone calls me out on this as a double standard, though.
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Agreed, except I desperately want an Obi-Wan movie.

The main difference here being that Ewan McGregor is "my" Obi-Wan. He's the one I grew up with, and he knocked it out of the park every time. He's the perfect age, and there is a HUGE gap of time which we know little to nothing about him.

It just couldn't be more perfect for an anthology movie, imo.

I will totally accept if someone calls me out on this as a double standard, though.
I think he's also interesting because we know this character very well but have a huge chunk of his story missing.

We know what happened before and after, but not quite how he got from there to here.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right there with you. The potential is so great. I just wish Kenobi could be the last of the "old" characters getting anthology films. I absolutely do not want anthologies in any way, shape, or form for Yoda, Boba Fett, Leia, etc. (actually... a young Leia movie starring Millie Bobby Brown MIGHT be kind of cool, but probably not). I don't mind old stories still being told with new characters, but we simply have to once and for all move on from the OT characters post Kenobi/2020.
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not super hype about it, but it interests me significantly more than Solo, Boba Fett, etc.

I still want other stories of characters or parts of the war away from main trilogy.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kenobi makes sense. You have already bookended his life within the films, and the actor who played the younger version is at the right age to play Kenobi pre-ANH. I have zero interest in seeing Han played by another actor, and I don't really care about his story before the films. His character is perfectly defined and fleshed out in the 4 movies that we have with him.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Right there with you. The potential is so great. I just wish Kenobi could be the last of the "old" characters getting anthology films. I absolutely do not want anthologies in any way, shape, or form for Yoda, Boba Fett, Leia, etc. (actually... a young Leia movie starring Millie Bobby Brown MIGHT be kind of cool, but probably not). I don't mind old stories still being told with new characters, but we simply have to once and for all move on from the OT characters post Kenobi/2020.
I like that. There already is a Leia novel about when she's a jr senator and finds out about the rebellion. It chronicled her "trials" to become the heir to the throne.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't talk me into this being a good idea!

Ha, seriously though, like with Kenobi, there are a lot of unexplored years with Leia (save for the novel you mentioned) leading up to A New Hope, and it could be cool to do like a coming-of-age / woman-in-a-man's-world type of thing with her character. A bit of politics, a bit of adventure. Millie Bobby Brown is apparently 13 now, so maybe in a couple years she could pull off a teen Leia. Do like a hint of Hunger Games meets Star Wars, with a pinch of Sixteen Candles-in-space thrown in there. Space Princess wants more from life than being a princess, and has to deal with the naysayers, gender politics, and the Empire while feeling her calling to follow in her father's footsteps and join (and eventually lead) the burgeoning rebellion.
Page 669 of 843
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.