Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,333 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm reranking my films right now. Means I h ave a lot of damned Star Wars to watch over the Christmas vacation. Not to the worst thing though, since I'll be stuck in Houston.
redline248
AG
Fine I'll rank them, too (only episode films)

Empire
Jedi
Star Wars
Awakens
Sith
Last Jedi
Phantom
Clones

Go ahead and @ me
tamuangry
redline248 said:

Empire
Jedi
Star Wars
Awakens
Sith
Last Jedi
Phantom
Clones

Go ahead and @ me

I'm not sure what factors you used for your ranking, but how on earth do you rank Last Jedi behind any of the prequels?
amercer
AG
Sith is an bad movie, but I think it gets bonus points for being the best of the prequels and finishing the story. Plus it probably has the most Obi Wan and he was the only good thing about the prequels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Merry Sithmas, y'all.
redline248
AG
Let's just say that I've had years to process the prequels. I enjoy watching Revenge of the Sith. Having still seen Last Jedi only once, I am not sure I enjoy it. Right now, I could probably flip a coin to choose between them.
NoHo Hank
AG
redline248 said:

Empire -9.5
Star Wars - 9
Jedi - 8
Awakens - 6.5
Sith - 6
Last Jedi - 3.5
Clones - 3
Phantom - 2.5

(Rogue One - 9)

Go ahead and @ me
I agree with these rankings with two modifications. IV over VI and II over I. Splitting hairs there though, neither was good. The original trilogy were legitimately great movies. The prequels were mostly crap, though ROTS was okay. TFA was okay. TLJ was crap. Rogue one was a flawed movie that pulled enough things together to be great in spite of flaws.
wesag
AG
I thought The Force Awakens was mostly just a stroll down memory lane and was just an ok movie. Admittedly I didn't think more of a rehash could be made, but JJ and Rian succeeded with The Last Jedi.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
-69% second weekend. Ouch.

Granted, today is Christmas Eve.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$745M worldwide, with China yet to open.

Should be able to surpass $1B before it hits China, but $1.5B is likely a pipe dream at this point, let alone TFA's $2B.
SeattleAgJr
yea, it is not hitting 1.5B for sure.

the word of mouth is mixed, and the nostalgia factor has worn of for many.

JJ better bring his A game, and get the help of someone who can actually write a plot wrap up instead of leaving crap unresolved.
Farmer1906
AG
It's about 80 M ahead of Rogue One.

As far as drops, TFA had a 53% & R1 had 59%. It's higher, but I don't think any movie would match TFA and it is still tending to hit half a billion.
amercer
AG
JJ will get the "feel" right, but wrapping up **** in a way that makes sense isn't in his wheelhouse.

I loved both movies, but JJ put the series in a bad spot when he went full on lost/x-files with the hints and clues but didn't write a second chapter that followed up on any of them. Rian seems to be a different kind of story teller and just blew all of that off.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
amercer said:

Sith is an bad movie, but I think it gets bonus points for being the best of the prequels and finishing the story. Plus it probably has the most Obi Wan and he was the only good thing about the prequels.

Natalie Portman was pretty cool.
aggiephoenix02
Champ Bailey said:

amercer said:

Natalie Portman in white in AotC is hotter than slave Leia...
aggiephoenix02
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Going to my 2nd showing of TLJ.

After seeing it again the things that seemed to brother everyone didn't bither me so much. The highs were high enough to cover up the lows and really make the movie memorable.
Same here...
Edit: I liked it the first time, and the second time is even better.
7.5-8/10
Farmer1906
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Going to my 2nd showing of TLJ.

After seeing it again the things that seemed to brother everyone didn't bither me so much. The highs were high enough to cover up the lows and really make the movie memorable.
Same here...
Edit: I liked it the first time, and the second time is even better.
7.5-8/10

Same score from me.
SeattleAgJr
aggiephoenix02
SeattleAgJr said:

I'm still waiting for the Lego version...
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Did anyone actually think that TLJ, good or not, would match TFA's $2 billion?

Seriously?
amercer
AG
No, but if that's what Disney promised investors look for some heads to roll.

It got great reviews and is going to make a lot of profit, but Disney isn't doing well in all its departments so making a billion and coming up 500mil short is still going to hurt.
ja86
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Champ Bailey said:

amercer said:

Natalie Portman in white in AotC is hotter than slave Leia...

No
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was just giving context.
SeattleAgJr
Disney Apparently Expects 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' To Bomb

http://www.screengeek.net/2017/12/24/disney-expects-solo-a-star-wars-story-to-bomb/

Now, it looks like things could get even worse, as a source close to the production of Solo: A Star Wars Story has revealed the company is bracing itself for that film to fail significantly.
A source close to the film's production has informed us:
Quote:

Disney is bracing themselves for the Han Solo movie to bomb. They were worried about it before all The Last Jedi controversy, but now they're essentially writing Solo off. The lead actor, Alden Ehrenreich, can't act, and they had a dialogue coach on hand for all of his scenes. On top of that, the script is unworkable. It's going to be a car crash.
Part of this information was already somewhat backed up by a story that circulated online back in June about the production team having reportedly brought in an acting coach in for lead actor Alden Eichenreich. The Hollywood Reporter stated that Lucasfilm executives had insisted on the measure when footage was shown to them of Eichenreich playing the iconic smuggler, and it fell far short of the standard they had been expecting.

The mention of the script being of a poor quality is also supported by comments recently made by actor Paul Bettany. It was expected that Ron Howard would need to tweak some of the existing material, but the extent to which he has needed to re-shoot the footage meant that Michael K Williams had to be dropped from the movie, with Bettany bought on board to replace him.

Given the essential qualities that Harrison Ford bought to the success of the role, the choice of a Han Solo origins story had always carried with it more risk than the studio was perhaps comfortable with. Couple that with the existence of this mysterious stumbling block that half of the directors Lucasfilm hire seem to reach, and the massive overreaction by some hardcore fans to The Last Jedi, then it's entirely conceivable that the damage has unfortunately already been done to the project before it even reaches cinemas.
Ulrich
Is Kathleen Kennedy's job in danger? This is the second anthology film to have major issues getting made, switched directors on IX, plus the apparent chaos with putting together a coherent story in the main arc. Doesn't seem like getting Star Wars movies made should be this hard.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ugh.

Scrap the movie. Nobody wanted it to begin with.
SeattleAgJr
Ulrich said:

Is Kathleen Kennedy's job in danger? This is the second anthology film to have major issues getting made, switched directors on IX, plus the apparent chaos with putting together a coherent story in the main arc. Doesn't seem like getting Star Wars movies made should be this hard.
not sure. it will be hard for Disney to fire one of their highest female executives, with her history.

but they need a firmer hand in place and a top-down model going forward.

and yes, no one wanted this movie.
TCTTS
AG
Screen Geek? I wouldn't believe a word of new information in that "report."
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Screen Geek? I wouldn't believe a word of new information in that "report."
The last part he copied and pasted had Ehrenriech's name misspelled twice. Not exactly what I'd call a trustworthy story.

Also, the link he provided supporting Bettany supposedly saying the script was unworkable doesn't say **** about the story being unworkable.
TCTTS
AG
And Kennedy's job isn't remotely in danger. Despite any behind the scenes drama, these movies are making INSANE amounts of money.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Pure click bate and nothing else.
Ulrich
TCTTS said:

And Kennedy's job isn't remotely in danger. Despite any behind the scenes drama, these movies are making INSANE amounts of money.

Pretty sure star wars movies will make insane amounts of money no matter who is in charge... unless they start turning out duds because the head honcho keeps switching directors and rewriting scripts during production and confusing viewers with inconsistent stories from film to film.

EDIT: I'm not defending this hot take to the death though, just wondering whether the mouse has the same perception of chaos and poor management that I'm starting to have.
Belton Ag
AG
Again, we heard all of this before Rogue One and it turned out to be a fantastic Star Wars movie.
YouBet
AG
If the main protagonist can't act then how in the hell did he get cast?

Many grains of red salt here.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

Part of this information was already somewhat backed up by a story that circulated online back in June about the production team having reportedly brought in an acting coach in for lead actor Alden Eichenreich.

Not the first time he's needed some coaching:

First Page Last Page
Page 650 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.