Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,849 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jokershady said:

Timeline question regarding the Death Stars....

They began construction on the first Death Star at the end of ROTS, episode 3. This is when Luke and Leia have just been born.

Fast forward to RO/ANH, episode 4, and it's been ~20 years. At this point they have just tested and confirmed the first Death Star is fully operational.

Ok....The time gap between the ESB and ROTJ has got to be at max a year. And the gap from ANH and ESB has got to be about a year as well....

So let's say 2-3 years have passed since the 1st Death Star was destroyed. There's no way they built a second Death Star to the point it was fully operational in that amount of time considering it took about 20 years to make the first one.

Does this mean the Emperor ordered the secret construction of the 2nd Death Star soon after the 1st one began?

Thought of this while watching ROTJ with the kids (this is their favorite for some reason).

redline248
AG
Urban Ag said:

I thought it was pretty clear in Rogue One that they ran in to major production issues with the weapon. The DS as a space station could have been completed for years but without the weapon it was worthless. I mean that was the whole point of occupying Jedha (procure the fuel for the weapon), shooting Jedha (partial test of the weapon) and destroying Alderan (full test of the weapon).

This is also a good answer.
dave94
AG
I alsways assumed in ROTS that the plans weren't completed. They didn't say they were about to start construction or anything.

Not at all the thing that bothers me about the prequels.
jokershady
AG
redline248 said:

Urban Ag said:

I thought it was pretty clear in Rogue One that they ran in to major production issues with the weapon. The DS as a space station could have been completed for years but without the weapon it was worthless. I mean that was the whole point of occupying Jedha (procure the fuel for the weapon), shooting Jedha (partial test of the weapon) and destroying Alderan (full test of the weapon).

This is also a good answer.
Remember though at the start of RO they are installing the dish that fires the "laser" which shows they ar literally just finishing the thing right before they test it.
The Collective
AG
Pretty simple... they didn't know they merely had to "double their efforts" the first time they built a deathstar.
TCTTS
AG
I love this.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, my exact first thought. One of my favorite movies of all time.
Belton Ag
AG
dave94 said:

I alsways assumed in ROTS that the plans weren't completed. They didn't say they were about to start construction or anything.

One of the final shots of ROTS was of Darth Vader and Palpatine standing on the bridge of a star destroyer watching the Death Star being constructed.

What's odd to me is that Lucas didn't think of that... but he did think to mention having C3PO's memory wiped to close that loophole.
jokershady
AG
dave94 said:

This was the last scene with the baddies in ROTS showing them building it.

However, found a theory that what we're seeing in this shot is a prototype and not the same Death Star we see in ANH

Then there's also this:
http://www.scified.com/news/which-death-star-is-star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-the-sith

Good theory explaining how they both were more than likely being constructed at the same time.

The Collective
AG
Typical decision by Lucas in the prequels. He wanted an impressive visual so put the death star in the shot, because he could do it. It would have just as effective with Vader and Palpatine looking into space.
jokershady
AG
Dude I was immediately thinking of this movie when I was making my post!

MGS
Maybe the Empire was also working on Starkiller at the time and the whole Battle of Endor thing seriously delayed it's completion.
AliasMan02
AG
Urban Ag said:

This is correct. They were working on the battle station over Geonosis and several other places long before they had the weapon system worked out.
AliasMan02
AG
Book update: I'm more than halfway through, and Inferno Squad might be the best Star Wars book ever.

Aftermath had great original characters, but Inferno Squad is right up there. Maybe better.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm about 1/3 of the way through and liking it so far. All the new canon books I've read so far have been at least decent with several excellent (Thrawn, Bloodline, etc.)
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and liking it so far. All the new canon books I've read so far have been at least decent with several excellent (Thrawn, Bloodline, etc.)

Yep. At least decent. And I feel like the arrow on quality is pointed up.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
aggie1906 said:

Rey's best look is not having her hair pulled back like that.
She looks like a Stark of Winterfell... that's how Ned, Jon, and now Arya wear their hair.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS
AG
This x 1000. Upon seeing that embed, I was already formulating a response of exactly how I'd do it and then Mr. Sunday Movies went on to beat me to the punch exactly.

Disney/Lucasfilm should definitely take a break after the third spinoff in 2020. And an Obi-Wan spinoff that year (which hasn't been announced, I'm just saying) would serve as the perfect break/end point of this batch of SW movies.

I just can't imagine wanting an Episode X in 2021. Heck, as much as I'm looking forward it, The Last Jedi feels like it's coming out far too soon as is. Then we're getting Han Solo and Episode IX in the 18 months after that? I'm not complaining, but there's just no time to truly miss these characters with that kind of rapid-fire release. This new trilogy is going to go by in a blink, and the last thing I'm going to want is to follow the same characters for another trilogy - or reset with a new group. Neither scenario sounds appealing that soon after.

So, yeah. Let's knock out this current batch, maybe go out on a high note with a kick-ass Obi-Wan spinoff, and then maybe let a TV show carry the franchise for a few years, until we're truly ready to either get back to the saga movies - or just do away with the saga movies all together go with something much bigger and connected, ala the MCU.
Saul Goodman
AG
I'm 100% behind taking a break. The most excited that I've ever been for a movie was before Episode 1, and TFA. With TFA, it really did bring back that amazing feeling of anticipation you felt before Christmas as a child. It's tough to beat that.

This will be a tough decison for Disney because these movies print money and it's hard to defer that income. However, I have to think they are considering the long-term benefit to the brand by taking a break.
redline248
AG
In today's world 2 years without a Star Wars movie would feel like an eternity.
AliasMan02
AG
I could be down for a break, assuming that break came with expansion of some other media to tell some stories, and a long development period for the next round of films. Use the Disney/Marvel channels to identify and cultivate some new acting, writing, and directing talent. Really figure out where is the right place to go without Luke, Leia, or Han in tow and how to do some new things.

Take a break of, say... three to five years. Then start with a tie-in movie about some new lore, like the Old Republic or Mandalorians or the Chiss or whatever, and use that as a launch for the next saga trilogy.
Urban Ag
AG
Would not be surprised if this is the plan actually. We get VIII this Dec, Han Solo next summer, IX the following summer in 2019, and then whatever the third anthology is the next year. Seems like that times very well with World of Star Wars opening up. Let the movies sit a few years while they milk that and maybe a tv series or two, start fresh somewhere around 2023 or so. The mouse knows what it's doing.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think there will be a natural break after Episode IX. Might be a good while before we see X.

IMO:
VIII
Han Solo
IX

<break>

Obi Wan

<break>

Either X or another one off (maybe two off?) character film
redline248
AG
I wonder how tough it will be for Disney to branch into a new era and say goodbye to Rey.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

I wonder how tough it will be for Disney to branch into a new era and say goodbye to Rey.

My expectation is that characters who survive IX will take supporting roles in a future saga. Not big roles like the OT trio, but they'll show up in a brief small role and we'll get a chance to peer through a window into their post-IX lives.

However, I think there is a real chance that the next saga films take place sometime in the past and are not Skywalker-related. Actually I'm relatively sure they won't be Skywalker related. Lucasfilm is going to have to give that up eventually. It's too limiting.
redline248
AG
You don't want to see force ghost Luke train a young Jedi that blows up a giant battle station?
Chipotlemonger
AG

Please do this
Buck Compton
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Please do this
That's one of the better storylines of any video game, ever. Would love something set in the Old Republic, even if this isn't canon anymore.
redline248
AG
Revan, Bane...don't care. Just would like to see a for real, f-ck all Jedi v Sith war.
fig96
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I could be down for a break, assuming that break came with expansion of some other media to tell some stories, and a long development period for the next round of films. Use the Disney/Marvel channels to identify and cultivate some new acting, writing, and directing talent. Really figure out where is the right place to go without Luke, Leia, or Han in tow and how to do some new things.

Take a break of, say... three to five years. Then start with a tie-in movie about some new lore, like the Old Republic or Mandalorians or the Chiss or whatever, and use that as a launch for the next saga trilogy.
I feel like there's a lot of room for them to explore this kind of direction. Keep putting out the animated shows, start up a live action serial on Netflix/Amazon, and let interest for another film build up.

Then release a Boba Fett standalone after like 3 years and print money.
YouBet
AG
+3 for Contact quote as first thought. Love y'all.

Regarding taking a break... I get that in theory but dammit I'm 43 and while that isn't old I don't have forever and I selfishly want to see as many star wars movies as I can before they send me to the great trash compactor in the sky.
Urban Ag
AG
YouBet said:

+3 for Contact quote as first thought. Love y'all.

Regarding taking a break... I get that in theory but dammit I'm 43 and while that isn't old I don't have forever and I selfishly want to see as many star wars movies as I can before they send me to the great trash compactor in the sky.
Ha, 43 myself and I can relate with the selfish sentiment as long as they can keep the production quality high.

I just truly believe the options available to Lucasfilm/Disney are literally endless.

I have to wonder out loud if Disney really, really, understands that so much of the allure and nostalgia for Star Wars is not really centered on the Skywalker story, the Force, of the Jedi/Sith, but in the universe that Lucas created. I think that if they can really get that concept, they can open this up creatively and there is literally no limit to what they can do with it. Rogue One was a good start, but even then, it was still heavily tied in to the Skywalker story and the Force.

I absolutely love the wild west, frontier feel to the OT. Where unfathomable technology collides with gritty, dangerous, environments and characters scrapping at a better life or even just survival. That's the feel that Tatooine, Hoth, and even Jakku created. And essentially Rogue One nailed end to end. That's what I love about Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG
Very well put.
Urban Ag
AG
thank you
First Page Last Page
Page 608 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.