Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,854 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could definitely see a break in the saga after IX. I think if they focus on the anthology films there's no reason they couldn't continue to put out new material periodically until they are ready to go with whatever X-XII is (or just abandon the saga as others have said since the Skywalker family is limiting)

One of the more interesting things I've seen recently is how many of the canon stories from books/video games have me thinking they would have been awesome anthology movies instead. The current rumors of the plot of the in development Visceral game sound pretty intriguing to me.

And of course, I'll be interested in whatever Filoni does next on the TV front. It might just be prequel hangover, but I am not clammoring for any new Old Republic shows right now, but I would at least give it a shot if they do it. I want a Chiss show.
twilly
AG
Whether there is a break in the saga is up for debate, as well as an increase in stand-alones. But with Star Wars Land about to open in CA and FL, Disney has gone all in on the franchise. I'd look for them to step up the content in all areas (TV, books, parks, toys, films, etc.) With declining profits from their broadcast networks, Disney has to make that up on the balance sheet. Their movie division is leading the way and Star Wars is the standard bearer on that front.
amercer
AG
I think it will depend a lot on when Marvel fatigue sets in. I think we've reached the point of saturation in the MCU, but that box office numbers will probably stay up until RDJ and the other original stars start to bow out.

Then does Disney back off of Star Wars so it doesn't lose steam, or so they double down to make up the lost revenue?
Farmer1906
AG
I think the MCU will be fine. Infinity Wars is going to cause a **** ton of hype. New characters will keep it going. Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man, Wasp, Dr Strange, and then maybe a new Captain America.
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea, as long as these movies are churning $800m+ in box office revenue, Star Wars aint taking any breaks.
amercer
AG
We'll see. I've enjoyed all the MCU movies so far, but without RDJ as Iron Man none of them would have happened. Maybe it's self sustaining now, or maybe it's one dud away from everyone saying "there are way too many comic book movies these days"
jabberwalkie09
AG
amercer said:

We'll see. I've enjoyed all the MCU movies so far, but without RDJ as Iron Man none of them would have happened. Maybe it's self sustaining now, or maybe it's one dud away from everyone saying "there are way too many comic book movies these days"

I think that is more the reaction to the DCEU than the MCU. I know that DC has its own fan base, but they had two pretty meh movies in a row with BvS and SS. If there is a franchise one dud away, it's probably the DCEU imo.
YouBet
AG
If DCU focuses on the right characters and gets rid of Zack (which it looks like that may have happened albeit under unfortunate circumstances) they might be able to right things. WW was a huge help. If that had flopped they were done.

Hell, it was such a huge hit that Marvel is going to overpower Captain Marvel so she's the equivalent of WW. But I digress....
Farmer1906
AG
YouBet said:

If DCU focuses on the right characters and gets rid of Zack (which it looks like that may have happened albeit under unfortunate circumstances) they might be able to right things. WW was a huge help. If that had flopped they were done.

Hell, it was such a huge hit that Marvel is going to overpower Captain Marvel so she's the equivalent of WW. But I digress....
Isn't she one of the strongest Marvel characters? Not counting the god like characters like Galactus.
OnlyForNow
AG
Really want to see galactus in the MCU, but isn't he more central to xmen universe?
YouBet
AG
aggie1906 said:

YouBet said:

Isn't she one of the strongest Marvel characters? Not counting the god like characters like Galactus.
Reading about her powers on Marvel online she seems to be about "average". There was nothing there at all to suggest she is more powerful than say Thor, Dr. Strange or Hulk.
Farmer1906
AG
YouBet said:

aggie1906 said:

YouBet said:

Reading about her powers on Marvel online she seems to be about "average". There was nothing there at all to suggest she is more powerful than say Thor, Dr. Strange or Hulk.
Maybe not, but those 3 are the most powerful in the MCU currently (along with Scarlet Witch & Vision). I would think she's on that level too which is really reaching here (2 different make believe universes) but probably a similar level to WW too.

Which brings me to my next point. Could prime Luke Skywalker take Spider-Man?
YouBet
AG
aggie1906 said:

YouBet said:

aggie1906 said:

YouBet said:

Maybe not, but those 3 are the most powerful in the MCU currently (along with Scarlet Witch & Vision). I would think she's on that level too which is really reaching here (2 different make believe universes) but probably a similar level to WW too.

But she's not on their level. The filmmakers have already said they are powering her up in order to make her the most powerful superhero yet seen in the MCU. The obvious implication (to my cynical self at least) is so that she can be the one to save the planet during the Infiniti Wars. It's a little political in light of WW success, but I don't want the thread to devolve into that.

I think Spider-Man destroys Luke...quickly.
Buck Compton
AG
Let's wait to see what has become of Luke before we jump to conclusions.

A little bit of force lightning or force choke would tear Spiderman a new one.
redline248
AG
How the hell do you figure Spiderman can take Luke Skywalker?

fwiw, I think this is a really funny thing to debate. I'm literally laughing about it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Luke would whip Spider-Man's ass ,come on.
Sex Panther
AG
Spider Man would win easily, yall are nuts.

Spider Man would most likely be a Jedi as well.
Farmer1906
AG
YouBet said:

aggie1906 said:

YouBet said:

aggie1906 said:

YouBet said:

But she's not on their level. The filmmakers have already said they are powering her up in order to make her the most powerful superhero yet seen in the MCU. The obvious implication (to my cynical self at least) is so that she can be the one to save the planet during the Infiniti Wars. It's a little political in light of WW success, but I don't want the thread to devolve into that.

I think Spider-Man destroys Luke...quickly.
You sure about that?

Sounds super powered to me.

Quote:

Danvers possesses superhuman strength and durability, can fly at roughly six times the speed of sound,[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers#cite_note-83][83][/url] retains her sixth sense, and can discharge explosive blasts of radiant energy, which she fires from her fingertips. She also demonstrates the ability to absorb other forms of energy, such as electricity, to further magnify her strength and energy projection, up to the force of an exploding nuclear weapon.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers#cite_note-The_Mighty_Avengers_6-44][44][/url] When sufficiently augmented, she can withstand the pressure from a 92-ton weight, and strike with a similar level of force, although Hank Pym theorized that this likely was not her limit.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers#cite_note-84][84][/url] Danvers cannot absorb magical energy without consequence, though she aided Dr. Stephen Strange in the defeat of the mystic menace Sir Warren Traveler.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers#cite_note-85][85][/url]

Carol Danvers is also an exceptional espionage agent, pilot, hand-to-hand combatant and markswoman.
jokershady
AG
Sex Panther said:

It's not vs Luke but gives a good idea.

SKIP TO 6:45 FOR THE ACTUAL FIGHT....EVERYTHIING UP TO THAT IS TALKING

NoHo Hank
AG
Luke and Darth Maul would both kick spiderman's ass. It would be over in about 4 seconds.
Sex Panther
AG
I conducted some very scientific and measured research last night with this question. The consensus was overwhelming... Spider Man easily.

However everyone agreed Vader would be another story.
americathegreat1492
All any capable force user has to do to defeat spiderman is that little force freeze trick of Kylo Ren's. Then just walk up and chop that little turd's head off. Spiderman might defeat a run of the mill jedi or sith, but so does a good blaster at your side.
amercer
AG
Having played countless hours of Lego Marvel Super Heros with my 5 year old, I think I'm now an expert on the relative powers.....

Best bet against a Jedi would be someone who could deal match them with mental powers. Professor X, Jean Gray, Sue Richards, or Magneto would be good bets. Also the ones so powerful that the force choke of lightning would have little effect. Thor, Storm, Hulk, or any of the omega level mutants.

Spidey is interesting. Despite be a whiny kid (less so in the new movie) his powers are pretty impressive. He's been electrocuted lots of times, his raw strength seems on par with some of the bigger guys, and he can summersault like a young Yoda. Still he'd have to grab the light saber early or get cut in half.
amercer
AG
Sex Panther said:

Also this +1 for sure. Spidey sense is probably just force sensitivity.
Flashdiaz
AG
Spidey and his webs ain't ***** Jedi deflect blaster fire easily and they would have no problem with slow globs of web. Then they would cuts spiders hands off so no more webs. Then spidey may be able to escape like since Luke is old... but defeat him... y'all drunk.
Farmer1906
AG
We saw Luke struggle to lift his xwing with the force. Spidey could physically lift the ship. I don't think a Jedi has ever dealt with some with that much raw power to go all by with his spidey sense.
redline248
AG
Barely trained Luke couldn't force lift a ship. Oh snap. If Luke can kill a rancor with a rock he can handle Spiderman.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Barely trained Luke couldn't force lift a ship. Oh snap. If Luke can kill a rancor with a rock he can handle Spiderman.
Spidey could too. I think Spidey vs a Jedi is a fair fight.
YouBet
AG
Luke didn't kill a rancor with a rock. He triggered a switch that dropped a steel door on it's head. That rancor would have killed Luke otherwise.

Luke also doesn't have Kylo Rens time stop power nor force lightening.

Spiderman would kick his ass easy.
redline248
AG
I imagine it's about like Obi-wan vs Jango.
redline248
AG
YouBet said:

Luke didn't kill a rancor with a rock. He triggered a switch that dropped a steel door on it's head. That rancor would have killed Luke otherwise.

You don't who taught Kylo how to force freeze. He trained with Luke, ya know. I bet after we watch The Last Jedi we look back at this thread and laugh at everyone picking Spidey.
Sex Panther
AG
What about Luke vs Ditka?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Ditka.
OnlyForNow
AG
Everyone knows that blaster bolt speed is hilariously slow.
americathegreat1492
YouBet said:

And just who do you think Kylo might have learned that from in the 30 years after return of the jedi?
First Page Last Page
Page 609 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.